Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Well, what are they going to do, assemble a cabinet at their enemies?

If nothing else, this is somewhat humanizing for Jeb. Pity his issue has been being seen as "competent" rather than "robotic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

EwokEntourage posted:

$4000 on kids activities and 1200 on dry cleaning is not hard or super extravagant. It's seems so in comparisons to the number of people making sub 30k a year, but 1200 is prolly how much a year of getting your dress shirts and slacks laundered cost.

Others have commented on your two points, but I'm more pissed about them trying to claim that vacations count for "expenses that make my salary not that much". Vacations do not count the same as a mortgage. Vacations are part of your luxury spending.

I've gone years without a real vacation. It wasn't until literally a few weeks ago that I finally went on a real vacation for the first time in a few years. And these fucks are trying to claim that their twice a year trips out to the hamptons are a necessity expense that shouldn't be held against them.

Verdict: Guillotine. Lengthwise.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SubponticatePoster posted:

Or you could buy a washing machine and dryer for less than 1 month's worth of dry cleaning, buy clothes that can be laundered and save 10k a year.

Poorer people have to do that, y'know. Or go to a laundromat because they live in an apartment without hookups or literally can't afford the washer and dryer. gently caress these people.

you can't really do that with professional attire. this isn't a question of clueless rich people not knowing how dryers work, this is about meeting a white collar dress code every day. sometimes this leads to burdensome costs, whether it's dry cleaning a dress shirt or buying a uniform shirt at $30 a pop

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there are plenty of dress shirts, especially in the more inexpensive end of things but including $50+ shirts, that can be machine washed. then iron with a little sizing. $1200 on dry cleaning is moronic

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 17, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The main thing that's frustrating about that article and similar ones is that it's basically just "family lives outside their means and doesn't realize it." There's nothing particularly horrible about that in and of itself, except that we tend to view poor people who do it in a far more negative light.

Anyone making and spending $250k/year has an incredible amount of room in their budget to make cuts, no matter what real expenses they might face. Like, it's worth pointing out that the family in that article is likely saving as much as many households earn in a year.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 17, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The main thing that's frustrating about that article and similar ones is that it's basically just "family lives outside their means and doesn't realize it." There's nothing particularly horrible about that in and of itself, except that we tend to view poor people who do it in a far more negative light.

Anyone making and spending $250k/year has an incredible amount of room in their budget to make cuts, no matter what real expenses they might face.

Good luck convincing anyone of that, at any wealth level.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheQat posted:

there's plenty of dress shirts, especially in the more inexpensive end of things but including $50+ shirts, that can be machine washed. then iron with a little sizing. $1200 on dry cleaning is moronic

way to be sexist assuming we're talking solely about men's professional attire

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can spend an untold amount of time pointing out individual lovely spending decisions, but I think it's easier to cut through all that. The median household income for Huntington, NY is $110,000. If this family is hurting so badly living on $250,000, how tough must it be for those people making less than half their income? It's not like there are a ton of government programs propping up people in the six digits.

Is the majority of Huntington somehow managing to live with a six-figure deficit every year? Are they packed into crumbling tenements? That doesn't seem to be the case, so what is going on here?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

way to be sexist assuming we're talking solely about men's professional attire

ah yes, what a gotcha. i'm sure there's no possibility of machine-washable women's business clothing at all

why the gently caress are you defending this poo poo anyway, weren't you a Good Poster once

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Who's got that original WSJ HENRY image? Not the guillotine edit.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 17, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real problem with that budget is the tuition costs.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ashcans posted:

You can spend an untold amount of time pointing out individual lovely spending decisions, but I think it's easier to cut through all that. The median household income for Huntington, NY is $110,000. If this family is hurting so badly living on $250,000, how tough must it be for those people making less than half their income? It's not like there are a ton of government programs propping up people in the six digits.

Is the majority of Huntington somehow managing to live with a six-figure deficit every year? Are they packed into crumbling tenements? That doesn't seem to be the case, so what is going on here?

If I remember Long Island well enough, Huntington doesn't have the most amazing school district, so people's property taxes are likely much lower there.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

EwokEntourage posted:

$4000 on kids activities and 1200 on dry cleaning is not hard or super extravagant. It's seems so in comparisons to the number of people making sub 30k a year, but 1200 is prolly how much a year of getting your dress shirts and slacks laundered cost.

Yes, it's not hard to spend money. Imagine that. I would argue that $4k/year is actually on the high side for two young kids' activities when there are separate and substantial budget items for childcare and family entertainment, but maybe I don't understand what it's like to raise kids in a nice neighborhood.

The article shows that, even if you make $250k/year, you have to choose to compromise somewhere. If you want to spend $14k/year on groceries, plus eat out every workday at $10/pop, plus have weekly $25 takeout meals, then maybe you need to consider wearing mostly machine-washable clothes to work and scrubbing your own toilets. Or, alternately, that if you make $250k/year, you can afford some really nice luxuries like part-time servants and eating out on a regular basis- but you can't afford every "upper middle-class" luxury out there at the same time. Pity the poor rich who can't have that which is appropriate to their station!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Do you people not use cleaners? I don't anymore, because I have a super casual job, but when people talk about taking their shirts for dry cleaning, they don't mean that literally. The cleaners just launder and press and maybe starch your shirts unless it's something weird like a silk blouse or whatever and it probably costs just over a dollar a piece and when you add in jackets trousers etc for two people it's not unreasonable it run into the $1000 range. Of all the things to complain about Henrys complaining about, their yearly laundry bill is a dumb one. They probably spend that much on lunch every month each.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Max posted:

If I remember Long Island well enough, Huntington doesn't have the most amazing school district, so people's property taxes are likely much lower there.

Uh, whether the school district is good has nothing to do with how high property taxes are. And nowhere on long island has actual low property tax rates.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know if it ever got posted, but here's another fun article in the same vein: http://www.salon.com/2015/10/10/i_went_broke_teaching_your_kid_the_real_story_about_life_on_a_teachers_salary/

(note that the teacher in question indicates a household income somewhere in the range of $150-200k/year)

That poor, poor teacher who owns roughly a half million dollar house and is sending two of his kids to private schools (the third of which is a special needs kid in public school, feel free to make your own connections there) is worried about cracks in his driveway and fingerprints on his walls being unfixable because he has no money. How will he ever be able to budget a factory new car between all his other obligations? I mean, if he were to downsize his house and move out of his gated community and put all his kids in public school, he might see a minority who will rob him on the spot? How is a decent god fearing man suppose to live that way?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
After watching Michael Moore's recent film, which is actually quite good and everyone should probably see it, I feel that outlawing private schools and forcing all parents to send their children to community public schools would solve so many of our problems.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ReidRansom posted:

Do you people not use cleaners? I don't anymore, because I have a super casual job, but when people talk about taking their shirts for dry cleaning, they don't mean that literally. The cleaners just launder and press and maybe starch your shirts unless it's something weird like a silk blouse or whatever and it probably costs just over a dollar a piece and when you add in jackets trousers etc for two people it's not unreasonable it run into the $1000 range. Of all the things to complain about Henrys complaining about, their yearly laundry bill is a dumb one. They probably spend that much on lunch every month each.

if it doesn't say dry cleaning required, i take it in rarely because they'll do a better job than i will. like a periodic tuneup. but why would i spend the gas and fee when most of the time, i can do 90 or 95% as well at home? seriously learn to iron and buy a $5 can of sizing at the grocery store. it will be ok

e: i'm gonna stop posting bout this now because it is a dumb derail. but so is going to the cleaners constantly when you shouldn't have to

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Max posted:

Huntington is the location they used for their 'worst case' projections, where the $250k couple ends up with a $24,000 deficit at the end of the year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
$100/month on dry cleaning nice suits if you wear one daily for work isn't crazy. A 2 or 3 piece suit is gonna cost 10-15 most places to get cleaned. You can't realistically wear the same suit 200+ days a year. Even if you only had 3 suits that you wore all year, they're still going to need to be cleaned at least 3 times at that level of wear. That's not even bringing shirts into the equation.

There are a lot of things to get nitpicky about in that budget. Spending $100 a month on dry cleaning isn't really one of them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheQat posted:

there are plenty of dress shirts, especially in the more inexpensive end of things but including $50+ shirts, that can be machine washed. then iron with a little sizing. $1200 on dry cleaning is moronic

Some people get paid to look professional. You don't wear a $50 shirt when you want to look professional, you wear something fitted that's gonna cost, entry level, $200-$300 per shirt.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheQat posted:

ah yes, what a gotcha. i'm sure there's no possibility of machine-washable women's business clothing at all

why the gently caress are you defending this poo poo anyway, weren't you a Good Poster once

Because people who have apparently never owned a good suit/dress need to stop pissing and moaning about properly cleaning one. It's fine if you haven't, but if you work a job that's paying a solid 6 figures and formal business outfits are required then you are going to dress to impress or you are going to be made to regret it.

Sir Tonk posted:

After watching Michael Moore's recent film, which is actually quite good and everyone should probably see it, I feel that outlawing private schools and forcing all parents to send their children to community public schools would solve so many of our problems.

You have a better chance at passing gun control than putting the brakes on charter school fuckery.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
jesus you goons are good at missing the forest for the trees.

That SSA data is just ungodly depressing, especially considering the disregard of cap gains income.

Our DINKome is probably 85-90% nationally and on reflection probably most of our friends and peers exist in that rarefied air as well. The social stratification piggybacks right along with the financial. Especially living in NYC.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nice! posted:

$100/month on dry cleaning nice suits if you wear one daily for work isn't crazy. A 2 or 3 piece suit is gonna cost 10-15 most places to get cleaned. You can't realistically wear the same suit 200+ days a year. Even if you only had 3 suits that you wore all year, they're still going to need to be cleaned at least 3 times at that level of wear. That's not even bringing shirts into the equation.

There are a lot of things to get nitpicky about in that budget. Spending $100 a month on dry cleaning isn't really one of them.

Maybe don't work at JCPenney? gently caress, who still has to wear a suit in 2016 besides politicians?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Suits are pretentious bourgeois luxuries, not some sort of essential service. They only become required because the wealthy are so insecure that they need to constantly parade their excess around in every way possible. Clothes designed to require constant expensive maintenance are a selfish and self-absorbed waste of resources. And even without that, your claims about their associated costs are grossly exaggerated. My father has to wear suits to press events, and he doesn't waste money on having modern age servants tend to them. He irons, cleans, and maintains them himself, because he is someone who came from the low middle class and understands that such things are wasteful. Stop pretending basic chores are beneath you and do your own house work.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I earn $500,000 a year and my favorite leisure activity is throwing hundred dollar bills into a bonfire. I can't earn enough money in Obama's america to maintain my lifestyle!!!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

Most rich people outside of the East Coast don't go to private school. They create segregated communities and send their kids to public school.

This is one reason why housing prices are insane in certain areas (like the Bay Area) - you can only go to the "good public schools" if you live in a certain area.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Evil Fluffy posted:

You have a better chance at passing gun control than putting the brakes on charter school fuckery.

I certainly don't think it's possible, but I doubt we'll accomplish much else if the "elites" are able to continue to isolate themselves from the rest of society.

Oh well.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, it isn't too uncommon for big businesses to swear up and down they gave you your legally required notices, but then just go "oops someone's bad" when it turns out they never did. All the meanwhile the business's lawyers hammer the victim over for not having documents the business never gave them.

It's been six years and the shithole suing me has yet to produce the required documentation my lawyer challenged them on when this started. You'd think something basic like "the original contract with my signature on it, in ink. Not a computer edited forgery." would be required to start the process to begin with. I wish I could file my challenges in crayon signed by my cat, but court leniency only goes one way.

Fried Chicken posted:

No no no

It is the Vancouver skyline at sunset

America's dawn is Canada's sunset? It's not a mistake, it's a coded promise to make America great again by annexing Canada's oil.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

computer parts posted:

Most rich people outside of the East Coast don't go to private school. They create segregated communities and send their kids to public school.

This is one reason why housing prices are insane in certain areas (like the Bay Area) - you can only go to the "good public schools" if you live in a certain area.

same goes for the dc metro area. all the best schools are concentrated in like 2-4 counties, and not coincidentally they have some of the most expensive housing in the nation. not to say there aren't ludicrously expensive private schools here too . . .

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harik posted:

America's dawn is Canada's sunset? It's not a mistake, it's a coded promise to make America great again by annexing Canada's oil.

It's a coded promise to tilt the entire planet rightward.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I attended a drinking liberally event once and probably never again. Sidenote, the most insufferable people I've ever met were at that event. At the end of the night, this older and wealthy jewish lady had wanted me to run for a local office and we were discussing race relations. At one point I asked her while trying to illustrate an example, if she's ever been conscious of the space she gives to a black person while walking down the sidewalk towards her. Her answer? "When would I ever be walking down the street with a black person?"

I didn't know what to say. This was in Virginia Beach.

Even rich liberals live in their own world.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Harik posted:

It's been six years and the shithole suing me has yet to produce the required documentation my lawyer challenged them on when this started. You'd think something basic like "the original contract with my signature on it, in ink. Not a computer edited forgery." would be required to start the process to begin with. I wish I could file my challenges in crayon signed by my cat, but court leniency only goes one way.

This is how foreclosures go in this country all the time. Because mortgages get passed around so much, no one really knows who has what paperwork, and for at least half the mortgages in this country no one has the legal paperwork to actually show that the owner of the house actually owes that bank anything. In order to foreclose on a house the bank is supposed to provide this paperwork. As such there is an entire industry built around forging loan documents, and these forgeries are usually badly done and very obvious. The person being foreclosed on can postpone the process basically indefinitely if they have a lawyer who can go over the paperwork and find what the forger messed up. Of course, all the bank has to do is have another document forged with that error fixed(but another one will be there instead) to make another go at it.

Any individual would be laughed out of court trying such hijinks, but it is just considered normal for businesses in the US.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Maybe don't work at JCPenney? gently caress, who still has to wear a suit in 2016 besides politicians?

Anyone with a job in sales. Anyone in finance. Anyone in most well paying jobs that isn't tech.

Are you actually serious? I hate wearing a suit, but for some people it isn't an option.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mrit posted:

Anyone with a job in sales. Anyone in finance. Anyone in most well paying jobs that isn't tech.

Are you actually serious? I hate wearing a suit, but for some people it isn't an option.

It also depends where you live. I'm always shocked when I see people in suits on the west coast - period. The bus route I ride is filled with folks who work in the financial sector and they wear khakis and a button down. Every so often you'll see a suit jacket with jeans.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 17, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't clean my work clothes cause my work does it for me :smug:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because people who have apparently never owned a good suit/dress need to stop pissing and moaning about properly cleaning one. It's fine if you haven't, but if you work a job that's paying a solid 6 figures and formal business outfits are required then you are going to dress to impress or you are going to be made to regret it.

This is really, really irrelevant. Somehow living paycheck-to-paycheck (they aren't, really, because of their significant retirement savings and college funds for their kids, plus investment income) at $250k/year means living drastically outside of your means. Full stop. They can almost certainly move somewhere much cheaper that's still within reasonable distance of their jobs, they can certainly buy less expensive or used cars. Living on the financial edge with a six figure income means that you think you're wealthier than you really are and you're consuming at that level. Nothing else is even worth discussing when you're talking about people who have a net income more than 3x the median gross household income in this country.

This is literally no different from someone making $40k/year and buying a new car every few years, except that because their income is fairly high we aren't talking about their expenses in the same terms.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TheQat posted:

same goes for the dc metro area. all the best schools are concentrated in like 2-4 counties, and not coincidentally they have some of the most expensive housing in the nation. not to say there aren't ludicrously expensive private schools here too . . .

Yep. Being on the wrong side of a street (putting you in a different school district) can cut $100-200k off a house's value.

This leads to the kind of amusing fence-sitting Realtors do with regard to charter schools. On the one hand having them means that you can sell parents on housing in bad districts by telling them they can send their kids to the public charter school, but on the other hand the existence of good public charter schools (which to be fair are very rare) makes school district less important and reduces the price premium that houses in good districts can currently demand.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DOOP posted:

Eurotrash spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DOOP posted:

Same :smug:

When I'm at sea anyhow. Where they destroy your laundry so you don't take anything particularly nice.

• Locked thread