Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A MIRACLE posted:

How different are traditional handlebars from clip ons? I had to sell my CB-1 in Tennessee when I moved and all the bikes I'm looking to replace it with (599, monster) have regular handlebars. Fwiw I really enjoyed the leaned over the tank / tucked in style of riding but I have no context for any other way

Weren't you looking at a Concours that was a steal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Weren't you looking at a Concours that was a steal?

yes, I'm floating a lot of ideas right now. I have a three day weekend and a $5000 signing bonus check coming tomorrow. socal is my oyster or something like that

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Handlebars come in pretty much every ergo you could come up with. Top triples equipped with handlebars rather than clipons are a little more versatile because of that. If you want less rise and pullback, there's usually a set of bars out there to fit that. Another benefit is that with handlebars, you can roll them forward or back in tiny increments to deal with pressure on your hands or wrists. I don't know for certain but I don't think clipons are quite as versatile in that regard. I guess the closest analogue to that would be that clipons can swivel forwards or back, so you can adjust the angle of the grips relative to each other (which you can't do with handlebars). Handlebars also provide a little more option for mounting stuff like GPSs, phones, grip heater modules, etc.

I've only ever had bikes with handlebars, and only ridden a bike with clipons once that I remember so take my words with however much salt you want. I have a riding buddy who has two of the same bike as me but has an upgraded front end on one that required clipons (with a few inches of riser, not super aggressive ones) . He gets a bit of wrist pain out of that one, whereas on the bike with handlebars he doesn't.

I guess the main point is that having handlebars doesn't necessarily mean you can't crouch over the tank if that's what you're into. I wouldn't choose or dismiss a bike based on that particular point.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What do you call the bars that like the EX250 or the Concours have? It's not a full across bar like a mountainbike has, but it doesn't clip directly onto the fork tube either.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

What do you call the bars that like the EX250 or the Concours have? It's not a full across bar like a mountainbike has, but it doesn't clip directly onto the fork tube either.

Comfort Perfection.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What generations? I'm fairly sure early 2000s model EX250s and 500s had clipons, they just had relatively high riser.

Concours appear to have a bunch of different things, but they all look like some weird hybrid setup with which I'm not familiar.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 17, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
helibars?

Risers?

I don't know where the gently caress else clip-ons would connect to other than the fork tubes, or handlebars to the top tree...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Some cursory googling returns a bunch of very long lists and charts of idiotic made-up sounding names for various shapes of handlebars, but I think that's mostly just a cruiser/custom shop fetish, even though a couple of them are similar to what the concours has.

Personally I'd call them touring bars, since that's what they're for.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

How different are traditional handlebars from clip ons? I had to sell my CB-1 in Tennessee when I moved and all the bikes I'm looking to replace it with (599, monster) have regular handlebars. Fwiw I really enjoyed the leaned over the tank / tucked in style of riding but I have no context for any other way

Clipons are sweet for the track and really hard railing, they pretty much suck for everything else, especially commuting. And you can still lay on your tank with flat bars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What can make a bike feel like it's got a flat front tyre that isn't a flat front tyre?

Cbr125 with a brand new 80/90 on the front. Head bearings are mint, wheel bearings are mint, forks are good yet it rides exactly like a bike with an under inflated front.

The swingarm says 29/33. That seems kind of low to me? Is it possible that those numbers were arrived at based on the average Malay and my whopping 70kg are too much?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Sounds a lot like when I had a front tire replaced and the snot nosed kid that put it on, mounted it backwards. He got his rear end soundly chewed by the old hand shop foreman for ignoring the "direction of rotation" mark on the sidewall.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Should I bother replacing my engine coolant? It's not low and it's not slimy and it's still green and the engine doesn't overheat, but spilling a bit the other day reminded me that it exists and is a thing that can be maintained.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Should I bother replacing my engine coolant? It's not low and it's not slimy and it's still green and the engine doesn't overheat, but spilling a bit the other day reminded me that it exists and is a thing that can be maintained.

Yes, whenever it says to in the manual.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coolant is hygroscopic, isn't it? Isn't that partially the cause of radiators rusting out when you don't do flushes often enough?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Coolant is hygroscopic, isn't it? Isn't that partially the cause of radiators rusting out when you don't do flushes often enough?

Hygroscopic is the ability of something to hold water.
Coolant IS water.

The reason radiators "rust" is oxidation.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sounds like something you want to follow the manufacturer recommendation on.

Google posted:

Coolant provides corrosion protection to engine components, freeze protection when subject to sub zero temperature, boil protection, heat transfer to the passenger compartment of vehicles, lubrication to the water pump and general chemical and oxidative stability to ensure efficient functioning of the cooling system.

Engine coolant, how quaint.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hygroscopic is the ability of something to hold water.
Coolant IS water.

The reason radiators "rust" is oxidation.

I guess I was going under the assumption that most engine coolants are primarily ethylene glycol. So my question was more "isn't ethylene glycol hygroscopic, and if so, is the water that is held by ethylene glycol responsible for the oxidation of radiators?"

Now that I've Googled a bit, I see that most coolant contains much more water than I thought. I knew you can mix water with coolant, but was always taught that it's not a sustainable thing to do and if you have to do it, it's best to flush and replace with coolant as soon as possible.

I've learned something today.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 18, 2016

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Z3n posted:

Carb is clogged, you need to pull and clean it.

You were right. I pulled the carb and the float bowl was full of nasty green junk. Both jets were completely clogged with it too. Thanks for the tip! Runs like a top now!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

Yes, whenever it says to in the manual.

I don't know when the last time it was changed was, but it recommends replacement every 24,000 miles and I've put about 8000 miles on the bike since I got it, so it would probably be a good idea to do that now. :cheers:

I guess I was going under the assumption that most engine coolants are primarily ethylene glycol. So my question was more "isn't ethylene glycol hygroscopic, and if so, is the water that is held by ethylene glycol responsible for the oxidation of radiators?"

Now that I've Googled a bit, I see that most coolant contains much more water than I thought. I knew you can mix water with coolant, but was always taught that it's not a sustainable thing to do and if you have to do it, it's best to flush and replace with coolant as soon as possible.

I've learned something today.

In my bike it's supposed to be a 50-50 mixture of coolant (ethylene glycol antifreeze, with anti-corrosion additives and such) and distilled water. You aren't supposed to top up with water because it dilutes the good stuff in the coolant.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 19, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Do you need ethylene glycol if it never gets below freezing where you live?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You don't technically need the glycol but you do want the corrosion inhibitors. There's some stuff called "water wetter" that I think racers use (because it's hot where they are/they want the increased heat capacity of straight water/they aren't allowed to use glycol on a track where it could make a slippery spill) that has the inhibitors but no antifreeze.

I'm just going to use normal green stuff, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

There's some stuff called "water wetter" that I think racers use (because it's hot where they are/they want the increased heat capacity of straight water/they aren't allowed to use glycol on a track where it could make a slippery spill) that has the inhibitors but no antifreeze.

Pro tip: That stuff freezes.
Don't ask how I know, I am terrible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Lol doesn't it even say on the bottle "hey buddy this poo poo will freeze and crack your block" or something?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'm going to need a new pair of tires on my DRZ (150/60-17 rear 120/70-17 front) in a month or so, which one should I go with?
The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II or the Battlax Hypersport S20 EVO.

I have the S20 Evos right now, and don't have too many complaints. Used to run Pilot Powers but they don't make them in 150/60-17 anymore.

BlackMK4 posted:

He's suggesting it to someone who lives where it doesn't freeze.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 19, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://www.evanscooling.com/products/powersports-coolant/

Waterless Coolant for:
MX Bikes, Trail Bikes, Enduro Bikes, Street Bikes, Quad Bikes, ATVs, UTVs and Snowmobiles
Boiling Point:
Above 375°F
Antifreeze Properties:
Protects below -40°C

This stuff is actually pretty great and they just signed on to be a sponsor at the supermoto races so I am definitely going to give them a shout out. I use(d) it in my 86 cr 250 with the magnesium waterpump.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Marxalot posted:

I'm going to need a new pair of tires on my DRZ (150/60-17 rear 120/70-17 front) in a month or so, which one should I go with?
The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II or the Battlax Hypersport S20 EVO.

I have the S20 Evos right now, and don't have too many complaints. Used to run Pilot Powers but they don't make them in 150/60-17 anymore.

You can get a 150/60-17 in pilot power 2ct

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

velocross posted:

You can get a 150/60-17 in pilot power 2ct

They might have stopped making them too. The only place I found with that size was revzilla.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Run the 160 pilot power, it fits, it's cheap, it owns and the profile is still fine even squished a bit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marxalot posted:

I live in Phoenix, Az. It froze here. :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I used to live in Phoenix, and the winter nights there were definitely colder than any nights here in San Francisco. I think I've seen a frozen puddle once, in the early morning in the "depths" of "winter." According to wikipedia the all-time record low is 27F (-3C) and on average it never gets colder than 45 degree (7C).

Water is a hell of a heat sink.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Outside Dawg posted:

Sounds a lot like when I had a front tire replaced and the snot nosed kid that put it on, mounted it backwards. He got his rear end soundly chewed by the old hand shop foreman for ignoring the "direction of rotation" mark on the sidewall.

I read this post and giggled to myself and proceeded to try and find the problem elsewhere. Then I looked at the sidewall markings.

For fucks sake.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Slavvy posted:

I read this post and giggled to myself and proceeded to try and find the problem elsewhere. Then I looked at the sidewall markings.

For fucks sake.

Kiwis just bound and determined to be backward.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's an omnidirectional tyre so I guess maybe the two arrows confused him I dunno. Knew it wasn't worth the twenty bucks, the loving bike doesn't even go fast enough to need the wheels balanced so I should've just fitted them myself and called it a day but I wanted it to be super perfect.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Battery talk: been riding the old FZR 4 to 5 days a week to work. Friday before my track day I go to crank it and it dies because not enough choke. No biggie, hit the starter again and everything is dim. Roll start it, head home no issues. Double check the bike before the track and it can't even rev the motor. Found a Duracell that came pre charged at batteries plus (expensive....) and was good to go!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Next year my finances should be in shape for a new bike. I'm thinking Super Tenere. Anyone have opinions on whether it's a good bike for my purposes? I'll be commuting and using it for camping, so mostly road/highway but also dirt.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Running errands today with 40lbs of cat litter and two 9lb bags of cat food in my bags, the bike felt "better" than normal. Does this mean my suspension is setup dumb? Previous owner wasn't fat but was probably 3-4 inches taller than me so maybe I need to readjust the rear or some poo poo?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Lynza posted:

Next year my finances should be in shape for a new bike. I'm thinking Super Tenere. Anyone have opinions on whether it's a good bike for my purposes? I'll be commuting and using it for camping, so mostly road/highway but also dirt.

One of my bosses has one and rides from Salem, OR to Seattle all the time on it. He loves the thing. Has a ducati 1198 and days that while it's tons of fun, the Yamaha is the better bike. Much more useful and comfortable.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Does the cosmoline on a new chain eventually wear away to reveal the beautiful chain underneath or should I go after it with some lube and a rag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So I've got the battery out of my '15 FZ-07 for the winter, a Yuasa YTZ10S. It's hooked up to a Noco Genius G1100 trickle charger.

It hooks up fine, I set it to "Normal 12V" mode, and it does its thing. It'll reach an indicated 100% on the charger as the manual says it should, but never enters the pulsing green light maintenance mode. A day or so later it is flashing error LEDs that signify that the battery won't hold a charge.

I'm going to bring it to work with me on Monday and hook it up to a multi.

loving battery.