Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Phlegmish posted:

Wait you didn't keep rerolling until you had godlike stats in almost everything?

bitchmade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

gently caress if I know how you'd stat that sort of thing, though.
It's become fairly common to say "just stat it however you need for the mechanics to work, and how you describe it in the end is up to you."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's become fairly common to say "just stat it however you need for the mechanics to work, and how you describe it in the end is up to you."

Yeah in my long running game my cleric wears medium armor (5e so that's the best they get) but she's more of a shrine maiden type cleric so the wearing metal armor doesn't really work. So with the DM I justified it as she's wearing robes in-game but gets the benefits and penalties of the armor. I justify the penalties of medium armor (Not being able to swim or sneak as well) as just being very poor athletically, and the benefits of increased AC as just dumb luck or divine intervention keeping her from getting hit.

Ideally more RPGs would take a pillars of eternity approach where everyone can wear everything, just accept different bonuses and trade-offs but until then, you just kinda optimize it and then bullshit an explanation.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Morglon posted:

Lots of console games do that. That's my big complaint with ports, you're on PC now, map a few more buttons, there's plenty. In Mass Effect they at least made you double tap that button which was still annoying when you were trying to get anywhere else fast but better than the alternative.

Oh my god this poo poo in mass effect 3 multiplayer. Sprint and take cover are the same button on the PC. Let me just sprint away from this thing that's trying to murder me and then- NOPE, instead I'm gonna hide right in front of this goddamn barrel with my rear end waving in these dudes' faces, aaaaaaand I'm dead. :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wish it was only sprint and take cover on the same button. No, instead they decided to use a single button for sprinting, taking cover, vaulting cover, shifting between or around cover, reviving players, and interacting with objects. Nothing like seeing your teammate run over to try to help you just to repeatedly shove their butt into a nearby wall because putting 4 context sensitive actions that frequently overlap on the same button seemed like a good idea.

Super fun multiplayer, awful controls.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Advance dialogue in Mass Effect: Spacebar/A Button
Choose dialogue in Mass Effect: Spacebar/ A Button

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Multiple verbs sharing a single button always sucks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution right now and it's super clever that different actions are decided by if you hold the button or just tap it. It has also never misfired for me (or taken to long to do), so the length is incredibly well designed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Advance dialogue in Mass Effect: Spacebar/A Button
Choose dialogue in Mass Effect: Spacebar/ A Button

ZeldaTutorialRepeat.jpg

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arrath posted:

ZeldaTutorialRepeat.jpg

That was also the only time in the entire game the "yes, please repeat everything" choice was the default one. So you'd pick it by mistake, hammer through the dialogue again, only to hammer "yes, please repeat everything". I really want to know the logic behind that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Borderlands 2: Having big maps is good, having only one spawn point in those maps when you restart the game is not so good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arrath posted:

ZeldaTutorialRepeat.jpg

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was also the only time in the entire game the "yes, please repeat everything" choice was the default one. So you'd pick it by mistake, hammer through the dialogue again, only to hammer "yes, please repeat everything". I really want to know the logic behind that.

Don't forget that B is the same as A in dialogue, so trying to mash B and hope B would default to "No" or at least not be a valid input didn't work!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution right now and it's super clever that different actions are decided by if you hold the button or just tap it. It has also never misfired for me (or taken to long to do), so the length is incredibly well designed.

On a tangential note, more games should really take after HR's dialogue system: Simple summaries on the radial to keep everything tidy, but hovering over them reveals exactly what I'm about to say.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

John Murdoch posted:

On a tangential note, more games should really take after HR's dialogue system: Simple summaries on the radial to keep everything tidy, but hovering over them reveals exactly what I'm about to say.

I've been playing Binary Domain (which rules, and is going to be free on Steam in a few days so keep your eyes peeled) but the tacked-on voice recognition system is even worse because of this.

One of the game's gimmicks is that you're part of a squad and how well members perform is based on how much they like you. Aside from obvious things like hurting them with friendly fire, the big factor is how you respond to them based on scripted conversations with 2 or 3 single-word answers that do a piss-poor job at explaining what the actual response is. Also if you don't stand still and let the whole conversation play out then you're at risk for getting penalized for "walking away".

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sleeveless posted:

I've been playing Binary Domain (which rules, and is going to be free on Steam in a few days so keep your eyes peeled) but the tacked-on voice recognition system is even worse because of this.

One of the game's gimmicks is that you're part of a squad and how well members perform is based on how much they like you. Aside from obvious things like hurting them with friendly fire, the big factor is how you respond to them based on scripted conversations with 2 or 3 single-word answers that do a piss-poor job at explaining what the actual response is. Also if you don't stand still and let the whole conversation play out then you're at risk for getting penalized for "walking away".

do you need a mic to play the game or can you just use menu controls if there's no mic detected?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Action Tortoise posted:

do you need a mic to play the game or can you just use menu controls if there's no mic detected?

You can disable the mic controls, in which case you just hold the Tab key and choose your dialogue option from a list.

It is a really fun game, having robots as the enemies means what could be a generic 3rd-person cover shooter is a lot more fun than it has any right being because enemies can be dismembered and decapitated and keep on trucking and bosses are huge robots/vehicles you have to methodically dismantle.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like that basketball game that gives you a technical foul if you swear in realistic mode.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

So I'm replaying Splinter Cell: Blacklist right now, and there's only one question in my mind: Who thought it would be a good idea to have "take cover" and "jump over cover" mapped to the same drat button? So many times now I've been disovered because instead of taking cover behind some wall with an enemy on the other side, the game decided I'd much rather slide right in their face.

Fake edit: Oh, and "drop down from a ledge" is also bound to that same button. So god help you if you want to take cover behind something on a roof.

In Conviction dropping down was left trigger, which would screw me over a few times when I was trying to aim at an enemy while hanging from a pipe and use item was X so instead of reloading my gun I'd trigger an emp and alert the guards around me. I miss the drop down menus early Splinter Cell games had that let you perform multiple functions.

Sleeveless posted:

You can disable the mic controls, in which case you just hold the Tab key and choose your dialogue option from a list.

It is a really fun game, having robots as the enemies means what could be a generic 3rd-person cover shooter is a lot more fun than it has any right being because enemies can be dismembered and decapitated and keep on trucking and bosses are huge robots/vehicles you have to methodically dismantle.

I saw some of slowbeef's playthrough and it's funny watching him stumbling through voice commands but it didn't look too fleshed out to work as a replacement for aiming at a general area/target and selecting commands.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

It tries to make you play with them.
You have to dig into a menu to turn them off.
Please turn them off because otherwise the game is great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The voice recognition is poo poo. You WANT to turn them off.

Also play with a controller. Otherwise the couple QTE bits are REALLY hard.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Dreamfall Chapters has a nice feature where if you hover over a dialogue option it shows a characters internal monolouge as for why they might say that. It helps avoid you saying something the author intended differently than you read it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah it's a fantastic game but the "dialogue" system is really half-baked. Luckily it's incredibly obvious what to pick as every set of options consists of one that's nice and three that are insults!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I just started playing Splinter Cell: Conviction and it's disappointing. I'll admit, it's been a long time since I played the original Splinter Cell games, and I never played Double Agent, but Conviction is a standard cover shooter with some measly stealth mechanics attached. I know the original games weren't huge and didn't have things like multiple ways to complete objectives, but there's not much here that's very interesting, even for a cover shooter. The most interesting level so far was the first one, and it's just gotten worse from there.

Stealth doesn't seem to have much of a purpose, since a lot of the enemies die rather quickly, and objectives are often laid out in ways that require the room to be cleared of enemies before they can be completed. Hell, stealth seems to be somewhat discouraged since the level design makes alerting everyone in an area and having them walk into the crosshairs the most effective strategy. Getting caught while sneaking through the level puts you at a much worse disadvantage than just blasting your way through.

Right now, I'm on the fourth level, and the first one is the only one that felt really interesting. The Iraq flashback level was the loving worst.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inco posted:

I just started playing Splinter Cell: Conviction and it's disappointing. I'll admit, it's been a long time since I played the original Splinter Cell games, and I never played Double Agent, but Conviction is a standard cover shooter with some measly stealth mechanics attached. I know the original games weren't huge and didn't have things like multiple ways to complete objectives, but there's not much here that's very interesting, even for a cover shooter. The most interesting level so far was the first one, and it's just gotten worse from there.

Stealth doesn't seem to have much of a purpose, since a lot of the enemies die rather quickly, and objectives are often laid out in ways that require the room to be cleared of enemies before they can be completed. Hell, stealth seems to be somewhat discouraged since the level design makes alerting everyone in an area and having them walk into the crosshairs the most effective strategy. Getting caught while sneaking through the level puts you at a much worse disadvantage than just blasting your way through.

Right now, I'm on the fourth level, and the first one is the only one that felt really interesting. The Iraq flashback level was the loving worst.

Blacklist was good about giving you a lot of ways to do missions, but it's either hard as balls or I got Sudden Onset Sucking At Splinter Cell disease so I got two or three hours in, had to repeat the same level a million times, and gave up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's an annoying glitch (at least for me) with the mobile version of Adventure Capitalist that annoys the poo poo out of me.

The game has a watch-ad-get-money-boost mechanic. The problem is that I keep running into one (or more) issues:

• The game swears up-and-down that there's no ads to show. Except that there is an ad, you just need me to try three times.
  • The ad doesn't load, or stalls halfway through
  • The ad doesn't transition back to the app.

The third one is the worst. It'll sit there with a 0 timer countdown. Closing and reloading the app won't bring the game back to the you-watched-an-ad scene, you have to go into your app settings and force close the app, load the app, and try and watch the video. I've had this happen multiple times in a row. The only saving grace is that the app realizes I didn't finish the ad, so I'm not wasting one of the five watch-ad-get-money boosts of the day.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inco posted:

do the coop blind with a random person online. it's pretty fun, especially at the end.

chaos theory was linear, but the level design was open enough to give you multiple entries and exits in most areas. older splinter cells are more like the original thief games where you had to pay attention to your environment since your knowledge of the level and enemy placements were limited and most of your gadgets and actions in the game were designed around being stealthy. conviction treats stealth as a means to an end. the iraq portion feels like a tech demo to show off that this new control scheme could totally work in ghost recon.

in fact i saw a friend playing that f2p ghost recon and it has a very similar style as conviction.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

There's an annoying glitch (at least for me) with the mobile version of Adventure Capitalist that annoys the poo poo out of me.

The game has a watch-ad-get-money-boost mechanic. The problem is that I keep running into one (or more) issues:

• The game swears up-and-down that there's no ads to show. Except that there is an ad, you just need me to try three times.
  • The ad doesn't load, or stalls halfway through
  • The ad doesn't transition back to the app.

The third one is the worst. It'll sit there with a 0 timer countdown. Closing and reloading the app won't bring the game back to the you-watched-an-ad scene, you have to go into your app settings and force close the app, load the app, and try and watch the video. I've had this happen multiple times in a row. The only saving grace is that the app realizes I didn't finish the ad, so I'm not wasting one of the five watch-ad-get-money boosts of the day.

I think it might be appropriate to reconsider your entertainment choices when you're posting on a forum about how your time-waisting game is waisting your time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Xoidanor posted:

I think it might be appropriate to reconsider your entertainment choices when you're posting on a forum about how your time-waisting game is waisting your time.

Wow, you just completely owned the Thing Dragging This Game Down thread!!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The voice recognition is poo poo. You WANT to turn them off.

Also play with a controller. Otherwise the couple QTE bits are REALLY hard.
Hell, even the title screen doesn't know what keyboard key it wants you to press:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Croccers posted:

Hell, even the title screen doesn't know what keyboard key it wants you to press:

Or the Riddler is back to his old ways again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Wow, you just completely owned the Thing Dragging This Game Down thread!!

I feel like click-athons are worth being singled out.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"Something is getting in the way of my voluntarily watching ads to get bonus dollars in an idle game" is pretty egregious, yeah.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Binary Domain is currently free as part of Sega's Make War Not Love promo along with some other games, just fyi.

http://www.makewarnotlove.com/results.php

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

I think it might be appropriate to reconsider your entertainment choices when you're posting on a forum about how your time-wasting game is wasting your time.

It only wastes my time when a bug prevents the game I spend 30minutes a week on from working. Me, I'm going to take a bold stance that games should, you know, work.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

It only wastes my time when a bug prevents the game I spend 30minutes a week on from working. Me, I'm going to take a bold stance that games should, you know, work.

no dont you see ive got a hot take for u

video games are a waste of time

:cool:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe I just didn't play enough Sim City as a kid but Cities Skylines needs a better tutorial. :saddowns:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Feb 19, 2016

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe I just didn't play enough Sim City a a kid but Cities Skylines needs a better tutorial. :saddowns:

I played sim city and sim city 2000 religiously as a kid and knew every inch of that game. Cities Skylines needs a better tutorial. :saddowns:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AlphaKretin posted:

Maybe I just didn't play enough Sim City as a kid but Cities Skylines needs a better tutorial. :saddowns:

I got mad and gave up after the game adamantly refused to tell me how to do anything that didn't just drain my funds and leave me in negative money and population instantly. I tried asking online for help and just got called a retard for not intuitively knowing how to play the game. I probably shouldn't hold the online community against it or something, but god drat if you're not going to tell people how to play then that's the only option isn't it?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

You can swear at the characters in Binary Domain and they get cross, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just play cities skylines with the infinite money cheat. Those types of games are always more bonsai gardens than real games anyway why let your creativity be constrained?