Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

I've read each campaign's download is around 100 MBs. There must be a decent amount of the voicework/art/etc already on the carts but unused without it.

EDIT: And the SE cart is only a 1.5 GB card.

This seems unlikely if it contains all three games, because I dumped my copies of Conquest and Birthright today and they both came to be over 1.5GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
How is LOST DIMENSION? It's on sale but I've never heard of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's... unique? Combat system is solid but not going to blow you away, and the story would be better if it weren't for the gimmick that any of your party members could turn out to be a "traitor" for literally no reason whatsoever, which greatly limits the dialog they can write.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 18, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i looked at newish releases and summon night 5, a psp title, what

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Clarste posted:

It's... unique? Combat system is solid but not going to blow you away, and the story would be better if it weren't for the gimmick that any of your party members could turn out to be a "traitor" for literally no reason whatsoever, which greatly limits the dialog they can write.

Also, getting the true ending requires maxing out your friendship with every character, which takes at least until a second playthrough, and might take a third playthrough if the game randomly decides that one of the characters you haven't maxed out yet should be the traitor too early. (It autosaves constantly and determines who the traitor is at the start of each chapter, so savescumming this is possible but extremely inconvenient.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I was told that Divinity: Original Sin's combat system is more strategic than Shin Megami Tensei. Is this true?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was told that Divinity: Original Sin's combat system is more strategic than Shin Megami Tensei. Is this true?

Oranges taste better than apples, c/d?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Divinity: Original Sin is mostly about creating ground zones that blow the gently caress up whenever anyone does anything. It's the kind of game where you cast a chain lightning spell and then literally everyone in a 50 meter radius (including your party) dies because there was a puddle.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered Infinite Undiscovery was a game I paid money for and played.

God what a piece of garbage why did I remember that game

Is it because of Star Ocean 5...?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's comparing apples to oranges. SMT is all about hitting weaknesses and covering your bases and dropping status magic. Original Sin is all about setting up field effects and using your head to set up DIY traps: freezing some water in doorway so every enemy who wants to melee you has to make a check vs slip, or filling a hallway with oil and setting it on fire so archers can't target you through the smoke and, by extension, forcing the AI to path through it.

Bring a friend!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just remembered Infinite Undiscovery was a game I paid money for and played.

God what a piece of garbage why did I remember that game

Is it because of Star Ocean 5...?

Dinner dinner dinner.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So is one objectively more complex or deep than the other gameplay wise?

The White Dragon posted:

It's comparing apples to oranges. SMT is all about hitting weaknesses and covering your bases and dropping status magic. Original Sin is all about setting up field effects and using your head to set up DIY traps: freezing some water in doorway so every enemy who wants to melee you has to make a check vs slip, or filling a hallway with oil and setting it on fire so archers can't target you through the smoke and, by extension, forcing the AI to path through it.

Bring a friend!

Sounds interesting.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

my god those character models are like nightmares

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 4, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oranges taste better than apples, c/d?

confirmed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Friendly Factory posted:

Is there any indication that Squenix will bring games to Steam that aren't just mainline Final Fantasies? I really want to get DQ 1-8 and have a stupid resentment of mobile control schemes.

Well, they gave the green light to Dragon Quest Warriors, so maybe?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

i looked at newish releases and summon night 5, a psp title, what

it was translated by ex-Working Designs people

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is one objectively more complex or deep than the other gameplay wise?

SMT is not complex or deep in any category.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 4, 2018

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Here's some interesting news(can't find the actual page).

Thanks to Asia's growing market relevance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzKuBKqNRYI

EDIT:
Here's another link.

Anyone tried this and got opinions? I know there's a lot of big SRW fans here.

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 18, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

HGH posted:

It's not out yet. But, it has the Belzelute, Calvina Coulange and Festenia, so it's great.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sounds interesting.

I recommend both. Original Sin kind of stretches its gameplay depth by the end but even if you don't finish it, you'll have a lot of fun with what you played. And yes, it is a rare odd duck for a turned based game in that you can play it coop and it's very fun that way.

Also, if you do end playing Original Sin, take the perk at the beginning that lets you talk to animals. Just do it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I always thought it was. What Turnbased RPGs would you say are complex or deep?

bloodychill posted:

Also, if you do end playing Original Sin, take the perk at the beginning that lets you talk to animals. Just do it.

I love doing this in games. Even in older games like Ys II.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

HGH posted:

EDIT:
Here's another link.

I'm actually kind of furious about this. I've been playing the SRW series since the SNES in Japanese and English and the one next gen game they bring over in English is only on PS4? Are we sure the PS3 version isn't also being translated?

As a primarily PC gamer I tend to wait until a console is at the end of its life before I get it, so this is really lovely.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Always take the Pet Pal talent for the fantastic animal voices they added to the Enhanced Edition.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I'm actually kind of furious about this. I've been playing the SRW series since the SNES in Japanese and English and the one next gen game they bring over in English is only on PS4? Are we sure the PS3 version isn't also being translated?

As a primarily PC gamer I tend to wait until a console is at the end of its life before I get it, so this is really lovely.

Press Release posted:

Bandai Namco Entertainment Asia will release the PlayStation 4 version of Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers in English for PlayStation 4 in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, the Phillipines, and Indonesia in 2016, the company announced.

I don't know if you can really say it's being brought over when it's an English release for some Asian countries :v:

If we get a real release in America, I'd expect a Steam port as well. Bandai did it for Tales of Zestiria when the original Japanese release was PS3 only, we got PS3, PS4, and Steam

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Erg posted:

I don't know if you can really say it's being brought over when it's an English release for some Asian countries :v:

If we get a real release in America, I'd expect a Steam port as well. Bandai did it for Tales of Zestiria when the original Japanese release was PS3 only, we got PS3, PS4, and Steam

I hope so. I'm one of the few 'SRW guys' on youtube and own all but the one for XBOX360, so I'd be miffed if one came out and I had to run out and buy a PS4 because the PS3 version wasn't also being translated. PC would be awesome.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Late for this, but if you actually want to finish Ys I you're best off playing easy mode if you're a Normal Mode Player, unlike the rest of the series. The Bat Guy and the Final Boss are total bullshit.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Erg posted:

Yeah, but then again, a while back a Gundam Vs Vita game was announced with an English version for Asia, and two months later they announced it was coming to the west too, so maybe that'll happen again?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HGH posted:

EDIT:
Here's another link.

Oh hey, they finally put J stuff in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Colonel posted:

it was translated by ex-Working Designs people

how many bill clinton jokes does it have

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Late for this, but if you actually want to finish Ys I you're best off playing easy mode if you're a Normal Mode Player, unlike the rest of the series. The Bat Guy and the Final Boss are total bullshit.

I'm pretty sure there's a bug relating to vsync that can happen in ys1 that makes the meteors in the final boss come way faster than intended or manageable

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

Sounds like somebody never played Nocturne on hard mode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sounds like somebody never played Nocturne on hard mode

Tallgeese posted:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I won't argue about it, but I would like to know if Tallgeese or yourself would like to put forward an example of a game whose mechanics are complex and deep then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I won't argue about it, but I would like to know if Tallgeese or yourself would like to put forward an example of a game whose mechanics are complex and deep then?

Pokemon literally has more complex and in-depth mechanics than SMT. This is because it is theoretically designed for competitive battles and thus it includes a lot of various complex unique moves involving swapping, mitigating damage, unique special effects and so-on which play up things a lot more. You don't need to exploit these mechanics to finish the game in single player but still.

Etrian Odyssey, to use an Atlus game, is also more complex with interlocking moves and abilities and an emphasis on how they play together.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 18, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon literally has more complex and in-depth mechanics than SMT. This is because it is theoretically designed for competitive battles and thus it includes a lot of various complex unique moves involving swapping, mitigating damage, unique special effects and so-on which play up things a lot more. You don't need to exploit these mechanics to finish the game in single player but still.

How exactly are we defining complexity here? I'm honestly curious. Here's my breakdown, and we'll use a popular example, so Persona 4. In any given battle in Persona 4, you have:

4 characters to manage.
4 possibly different sets of weaknesses and strengths including
1 variable weakness/strength set that can change fluidly
There's 3 sets of 8 skills
and 1 set of potentially 14 different skill sets
With over 6 elemental weakness/strength potentials
I have honestly forgotten if P4 also had the "main character death = game over" mechanic like P3 did, so I won't include it, but a lode-bearing party member is a huge tactical consideration and an inescapable element of every combat encounter.
Enemies also have elemental weaknesses and strengths, in addition to the possibility of support skills that make them even harder to kill (Dodge X shows up in a lot of endgame encounters and bonus stuff). Enemies can come in groups of four as well, and can sometimes also consist of four enemies with completely seperate sets of strengths and weaknesses and can complement each other in much the same way your party does.

There are also armor items and weapon items to bolster your stats, and accessories, which are independent of your Persona, which not only affect stats, but also affect skills. While party members are largely fixed in the skills and stat growth they receive, the sheer variety of Persona available to the main character compensates for that.

Also there's social links to consider, which affect both exp growth rates as well as in-combat actions, such as whether teammates will save the main character or can cure status effects between turns and other useful tactical considerations. This ties both the out-of-combat gameplay mechanics and in-combat mechanics together, so you don't feel like there's no real gameplay involved when you're doing things like progressing the story or exploring the town.

It seems pretty complex and deep to me. I mean, Pokemon is too, but Pokemon is, I'd argue, unusually complicated and in some ways convoluted, particularly because of this competitive scene. Plus, the average player really doesn't interact with half the poo poo you do on the competitive level. EVs and IVs are meaningless concepts to the average Pokemon player and the game is totally beatable even if you ignore them utterly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default has my favorite turn-based JRPG combat system ever, so uh I'll put that one forward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How exactly are we defining complexity here? I'm honestly curious. Here's my breakdown, and we'll use a popular example, so Persona 4. In any given battle in Persona 4, you have:

4 characters to manage.
4 possibly different sets of weaknesses and strengths including
1 variable weakness/strength set that can change fluidly
There's 3 sets of 8 skills
and 1 set of potentially 14 different skill sets
With over 6 elemental weakness/strength potentials
I have honestly forgotten if P4 also had the "main character death = game over" mechanic like P3 did, so I won't include it, but a lode-bearing party member is a huge tactical consideration and an inescapable element of every combat encounter.
just counting options isn't really how you should define complexity, since you obviously remove the options that aren't necessary. In any given Persona 4 battle you're only ever using 3-4 skills per character. Your persona might have fire break on it, but you aren't going to be using fire break except in very specific situations. Your persona might have both Maragidyne and Agidyne, but depending on the battle you're only going to be using one or the other. So they have no effect on your tactical options - it's a rote 'am I fighting two or more things or just one thing' option, and not something that factors into the decisions you make. There's no reason to use Maragidyne over Agidyne in situations where you're only fighting one thing, so it doesn't add to complexity - it's straight up not an option you'd ever pick.

Complexity comes from the amount of moves you actually consider, not the amount of moves that exist. Borrowing from ImpAtom's pokemon example, your Pokemon only has 4 moves, but in a competitive situation all of those 4 moves will at least be considered, due to how the systems work. Even if the thing your opponent has out is immune or resistant to one of your moves, there's the possibility that he'll pick that turn to switch, so you at least need to consider whether or not he'd do that on this turn. For instance, if you're fighting something ground-immune, and your opponent has a rock type that they really want to get in for free, they might choose that turn to switch because they assume that you won't use earthquake. Therefore, you can use earthquake to try and catch them on that switch and kill their rock type.

Obviously comparing a multiplayer game to a singleplayer game is pretty unfair, but it illustrates my point that complexity comes from options that you actually consider, not just the options that exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
In re: Pokemon versus SMT, I do think it's kind of an awkward comparison. Pokemon is not balanced to require very much strategic thinking in single player unless you're purposefully keeping your levels very low (which is getting harder and harder to do in newer titles). SMT keeps the difficulty curve drawn such that it's less time consuming to think about party composition than it is to just brute force grind your way through a fight. There's also a heavy resource management aspect to it that is not really that big in Pokemon now.

Pokemon as played by the modern competitive community is hella complex in ways that difficult to appreciate if you've only played single player (and in ways that can be entirely circumvented via the options menu in single player), but I can't think of any equivalent part of SMT to compare it to.