Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh poo poo, I better update my StimpedIn page!

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. HBS has some of the best marketing people in the business.

You heard me Sandi.

It's really funny, I had no idea at first who those guys were, I was just looking for something to kill the time with on the phone while on the plane and found this game:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/strikefleet/

I was really surprised, it was polished, you didn't have to spend a dime on it to finish the game and it was pretty creative. It was still a simplistic mobile game, but it made me remember the name of the company. I saw that they released the shadowrun games which were pretty drat successful and thought to myself - good for them, small indie dev makes solid games.

Fast forward a year or two, they start the kickstarter for battletech, so I became interested when I saw it was them - reading up on who are the actual people on the team made it just the more appealing. I have a feeling that this game will be amazing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Kins posted:

I was linked to an old talk today, in which the creator of Team Fortress outlines some of the reasons why Valve keep their big fat mouths shut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwv1G3WFSfI
Jump to 33:50. The guy's not a fantastic public speaker and stumbles over his words a lot, so I transcribed a chunk of it:

You can probably remember like ten different ways this has effected Star Citizen off the top of your head right now.

Good writeup. I particularly liked the part about bad communication, since that's basically CIG.txt.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone summarize what the issues were with the Cutlass? Seems to be the most controversial ship on how it was sold and what was delivered.

I've stolen enough of these to know they are literally impossible to control.
The ship 'physics' seem to work like this:

A big ship goes slow but still turns at the same speed as a dude in Far Cry
A small ship goes so fast you cannot control it but still turns at the same speed as a dude in Far Cry

So the Cutlass flies like a dude in Far cry with a run speed of x 100

More than that though it gets so much poo poo because it is a real 'high end' ship that you can fly right now and not just in the perfect world of your average fanatics fevered imagination.
As each ship comes out and bursts their utopia bubble you'll see each ship get shat on by the lovely community.

These idiots decided long ago what these ship will be, they wrote manual.pdf months and years ago and have built each of their favourite chariots up into a vision of perfection, a vision that can never be real and so we see as each ship comes out, one by one their hopes and aspirations are shattered like frozen turds dropped off a mile high cliff of despair.

I love it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Iridium posted:

yes, basically the entire Drake line (Cutlass, Caterpillar, Herald).

the wink wink nudge nudge storyline is that Drake knows exactly who ends up using them and is just cool with it but doesn't actively market as pirate poo poo, which doesn't explain a goddamn thing but of course Ben thinks it does, so the brown sea does too

So they're kinda like Toyota?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

hanales posted:

I wanted to play star citizen but I got caught up in a WH4K campaign. Took up my entire room.

Another 4k shill itt

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Berious posted:

I hope the Stimperor never stops posting or tweeting

My favourite so far... "You have clearly no idea about how pain development works."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Iglocska posted:

So they're kinda like Toyota?

Toyota makes indestructible cars, CIG ships explode on load.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Obviously you weren't born on July 14th.

:confuoot:

Bastille Day is about skeletons or something? I'm lost.

edit: goontube has hosed up my ability to toot in confusion it seems

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This took way too long and is not even slightly funny,enjoy.

as a fellow giffster I applaud this... amazing

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

peter gabriel posted:

These idiots decided long ago what these ship will be, they wrote manual.pdf months and years ago and have built each of their favourite chariots up into a vision of perfection, a vision that can never be real and so we see as each ship comes out, one by one their hopes and aspirations are shattered like frozen turds dropped off a mile high cliff of despair.

:eyepop: you should write poetry :pgabz:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Sidenote, saw Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it was a solid zombie/period piece film.

I liked it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yesss page 1991. 2000 here we come.

:gary:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

:confuoot:

Bastille Day is about skeletons or something? I'm lost.

edit: goontube has hosed up my ability to toot in confusion it seems

Honestly if at this point your mind hasn't been completely taken over by the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the Fourth Stimpire, it's best you keep it that way by just not asking.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has anybody who's been banned gotten any response? I've sent several emails and have only received the auto response.

I'm curious to hear why they completely bypassed their own procedures to permaban me for some minor 1st offense.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

It's really funny, I had no idea at first who those guys were, I was just looking for something to kill the time with on the phone while on the plane and found this game:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/strikefleet/

I was really surprised, it was polished, you didn't have to spend a dime on it to finish the game and it was pretty creative. It was still a simplistic mobile game, but it made me remember the name of the company. I saw that they released the shadowrun games which were pretty drat successful and thought to myself - good for them, small indie dev makes solid games.

Fast forward a year or two, they start the kickstarter for battletech, so I became interested when I saw it was them - reading up on who are the actual people on the team made it just the more appealing. I have a feeling that this game will be amazing.

They have an awesome attitude toward crowdfunding

Also Jordan Weisman has a very, very long list of actually finished games to his name

Cash is pretty much safe in their hands

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yesss page 1991. 2000 here we come.

:gary:

:rip::ussr::rip:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

spacetoaster posted:

Has anybody who's been banned gotten any response? I've sent several emails and have only received the auto response.

I'm curious to hear why they completely bypassed their own procedures to permaban me for some minor 1st offense.

Clearly you know nothing of customer service.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ZenMaster posted:

as a fellow giffster I applaud this... amazing

Thank you :D

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I believe you'll find that the Cutlass is actually pretty good.

As stated in the terms and conditions of my refund.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

We're different people actually, so odds are improved

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Honestly if at this point your mind hasn't been completely taken over by the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the Fourth Stimpire, it's best you keep it that way by just not asking.

Wow, I am slow on the ball today. Sorry, skeletons are something very close to my heart, and I am very hungry right now so my ability to connect the paindots isn't the greatest. I keep thinking about eating something, but then I see Lesnik and, well.

Skeletons are the loving best thing in the world guys. I'm sorry I can't stop thinking about skeletons.

(not sorry)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also first Iraq War :mensch:, and Bulls win their first of six championships.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

Wow, I am slow on the ball today. Sorry, skeletons are something very close to my heart, and I am very hungry right now so my ability to connect the paindots isn't the greatest. I keep thinking about eating something, but then I see Lesnik and, well.

Skeletons are the loving best thing in the world guys. I'm sorry I can't stop thinking about skeletons.

(not sorry)

Skeletons are close to all of our hearts, commando (except for people who have had theirs removed). It is perfectly understandable to enjoy your skeleton so much.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mr.Tophat posted:

(not sorry)

:rattle:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr.Tophat posted:

(not sorry)

This, all of this

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

IGP leaving did a lot to push the game forward, but it really wasn't until the Transverse thing that :pgi: really got on the ball. They've made huge improvements in their communication with the playerbase, how they handle feedback, and obviously they've made some pretty huge improvements in the game as well. Russ Bullock has been the source of a lot of salt, and a lot of really dumb decisions that hurt MWO, but for all his faults he's definitely trying to be better and to make MWO the best game it can be.

Plus they loving burned Nikko to the ground, which was funny and good.
I see a lot of parallels between :pgi: and CiG, especially in handling their community. The MWO community of yesteryear was gloriously salty, enough that reddit had to fracture into 2 separate subs. The interactions with master mod turned community manager Niko were amazing. He's like if Lando and Lesnick were merged into a Lesando. Or a Lanick. Smug, arrogant, and full of broken promises. A master of backpedaling. And a jerk who liked to troll the very community he was supposed to shepherd.

Remember Niko's answer to handling dissent on the official forum? There were too many negative threads floating to the top of their General forum, so he smashed it into a billion useless subforums that nobody used.

Shall we go down the list?

-Out of touch CEO? Russ "you're on a bit of an island there" Bullock checking in.

-Promised features delayed for months, if not years, while heavily focusing on monetizing ingame content? Check!

-Launching the game from beta to release without actually finishing the game? Eerily similar to CiG making GBS threads out PU prototype and trying to call it alpha.

-Competent dev team being mangled by poor leadership and lack of direction? Check

-Selling exuberantly priced ingame vehicles? $500 gold mech cashbrab!

-Going back on promises made during the initial public fundraising? third person camera check!

But, much to my surprise, :pgi: actually turned it around after the transverse disaster. I don't really believe them when they try to pin a lot of their poor decisions on the IGP connection. It really boils down to them being a bargain bin game dev that took a leap into AAA and went through tremendous growing pains. And I'm glad they stuck it through because they've managed to deliver a fairly competent game after 4 years. It's far from perfect, but good on them for having some humility and learning some tough lessons.

Which is exactly why SC is doomed. Crobobbles is incapable of humility :smith:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Skeletons are close to all of our hearts, commando (except for people who have had theirs removed). It is perfectly understandable to enjoy your skeleton so much.

I am legit drinking a glass of milk right now because I enjoy keeping my skeleton enriched and ready for the war.

I'd love to visit that church which has bones absolutely loving everywhere. It has a bone chandelier for fucks sake. While everyone around me might go around respectfully and listen to the guide, I'd just be giddy from it all and listen to this while admiring the brave skeleton warriors.

It's disrespectful to skeletons not to point out that skeletons are rad and cool.

Enot
Feb 18, 2016

I've been a lurker/reader for a long time, and since this thread has brought so much joy into my life, I've decided to take the plunge and register just before page 2000; plus the grandma pics were driving me nuts

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone sum up the Transverse disaster for those who don't know.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Nope. Still waiting on a response to my second CS request. I think they have given up any pretense of giving a poo poo.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Berious posted:

In the Stimpire, posting on reddit is mandatory.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Necromancer was my favorite class in D2. More games need heroic bone bros.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

New ship semi confirmed

Thanks to INN (not blocked from my workplace)
So basically CIG is even skipping the selling jpgs and just selling the idea of a ship instead.

The Buccaneer is the verse's first permanently cloaked ship! You fly it like wonder woman's invisible jet. At least they'll have one ship without a mail slot for cockpit windows.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

DOMDOM posted:

try to pin a lot of their poor decisions on the IGP connection.

Another parallel with CIG.

Something dumb or broken with their web site? Turbulent's fault.

Star Marine delayedcancelled? That's Illfonic's doing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

I've stolen enough of these to know they are literally impossible to control.
The ship 'physics' seem to work like this:

A big ship goes slow but still turns at the same speed as a dude in Far Cry
A small ship goes so fast you cannot control it but still turns at the same speed as a dude in Far Cry

So the Cutlass flies like a dude in Far cry with a run speed of x 100

More than that though it gets so much poo poo because it is a real 'high end' ship that you can fly right now and not just in the perfect world of your average fanatics fevered imagination.
As each ship comes out and bursts their utopia bubble you'll see each ship get shat on by the lovely community.

I love it.

The best part is watching each new generation of customers come to the realization and go through the same circus with CIG. God help them when the Carrack comes out, more than anything people are rabid about that ship.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

:pgi: decided to launch a kickstarter to fund their legit Star Citizen ripoff while people in the MWO community were still trying desperately to get QOL fixes done on the game :pgi: had been ratfucking for years.

Oh and PGI registered the official Transverse subreddit and staffed the mod positions with PGI employees, something that is a big no-no in redditland.

It ended poorly - Transverse got cancelled after coming nowhere loving near the goal. The community rose up and basically rioted. For a little while it honestly looked like PGI was going to completely go under. There were a couple big staffing changes and a promise to re-focus on MWO and so far they've kept to their word.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SirPhoebos posted:

Here :pgi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIfi49P4-s

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

:pgi: tried to ride the coattails of space sim fundraising success that Elite and SC had and tried to launch their own called transverse, despite the piss poor and unfinished state of their only AAA game MWO

community backlash was swift

their community manager, niko, tried to lock down the transverse reddit sub to silence dissent which ran afoul of reddit rules and got the entire company shadowbanned

also people kept calling it trannyverse

it was a spectacular failure, and a huge wakeup call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Necromancer was my favorite class in D2. More games need heroic bone bros.
Necro was the first HC character I got past 80.

He died to a boss pack of "ultra fast" and "hits like a loving truck" spirits doing a countess run. The level hadn't even finished loading when I died! :argh:

• Locked thread