Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You're telling me that I may have to hit 2, and 3, and maybe W? I'm sorry Anet, that's asking too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Visidan posted:

I didn't find it hard either but that's what ANET said after looking at player metrics and firing the dungeon team.

And then they made a raid that like 90% of their playerbase won't ever do?

I don't see the logic

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
guild wars is a cool and fun game

E: Question, anyone got advice for how the heck you solo towers now that the tower lords all have breakbars? All of the videos I've seen of tower soloing is pre-HoT stuff and seems to rely on spamming blinds, and the jerks are immune to blind now. I just tried to solo a tower lord and the first attack I didn't dodge roll away from, he smushed me into the ground for like 6k then hit me for another 6k while I was down.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 18, 2016

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I would totally try out the Raid, but really I don't want to do it with pubbies.

The irony, of course, is that having never done it, I am essentially a pubbie myself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wvw has always been one of the most fun parts of the game and i feel sorry for anyone who thinks it's just running in a big zerg and hitting 1 because they sorely need to show up for an sfd strike squad sometime

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

orcane posted:

Don did you do the raid yet?

I do it ~weekly~.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Monomythian posted:

But smaller instanced content always felt so forced, like they had no way to balance how loosey goosey combat was, so for a challenge they just have the enemies do massive damage and be HP sponges, turning fights into kiting or cheese fests.

I wouldn't exactly say they had no way, it's more like they didn't even try to balance it at any point (a statement true for the great majority of content in the game). You know what would've been a great and relatively simple thing to implement? Boss fights in FFXIV (and some other mmos too) have borders that close off the area around a boss after a short while when a boss fight starts that prevent you from leaving or entering the area until the group wipes and the fight resets or you win. It's a lot easier to work a boss encounter when you have a definite area where you can make sure there is no terrain that can cause exploits.

Remember Lieutenant Kholer from Ascalonian Catacombs? He was obviously a boss that was designed to be fought in an open space where he has room to pull you in and grind you to bits. Nobody ever fights him like that and they just pull him behind a pillar and all stand in the same place so he doesn't jump around and he and his minions can be burned down super quickly. If they limited the boss arena then you wouldn't be able to do that quite as easily.

I'm also pretty sure Kholer was one of the first bosses where quickly respawning and running back to the boss (back when you could respawn while your party was in combat) was an actual strategy, prompting a very crude and lazy solution. Having a barrier there would've made that a non issue. There are tons of other simple, no nonsense changes that could be done (make it so you can crit and apply conditions to graveling burrows) that they never saw fit to address and apparently never will. Beyond that we've seen bosses that play to the game's strengths (molten duo comes to mind as well as some of the less buggy living story bosses) so we know they can be done if an actual effort is made.

What I'm saying with this boring post is it isn't the game itself that made small instanced content a bad idea it was anet never wanting to tune anything. I don't think anyone can really say the game can't have balanced dungeons or fractals because we've never seen anet try.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they don't seem to give a poo poo if it doesnt make them money

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat Baron, wish I could send that post straight to the Anet devs, wish I wasn't on this laptop so I could post a clapping.gif.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sorry, I had to go in-game to check. Sand, apparently!

Thank you! I just snapped up a Sand dye and tried it on my Dragon Charr and worked some other neat metallic dyes into it and he looks awesome and matches his sweet new gold wings. Thank you!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Visidan posted:

I didn't find it hard either but that's what ANET said after looking at player metrics and firing the dungeon team.

The aetherpath was good, except for the ooze door puzzle -right- at the beginning that is just so poorly made and RNG/class dependent for both lanes to succeed at the same time, especially with a pug, that it ruins the whole dungeon and probably made a lot of people quit it in frustration.

So many people that would continuously try to kill the ooze no matter how many times you tried to explain it :psyduck:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Spookyelectric posted:

I would totally try out the Raid, but really I don't want to do it with pubbies.

The irony, of course, is that having never done it, I am essentially a pubbie myself.

The first fight is 80% mechanics, 10% gear, 10% runtime.

You can learn the 80% here in 8 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJ2mVbTNgs

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I actually encourage anyone who hasn't tried the raids yet to tag along with a goon group for at least a single tour. Only the last fight of the three, Sabetha, requires everyone to stay alert enough to perform a particular task. The other two fights are, for new players, pretty much "DPS hard" and "don't stand in the fire you nitwit". The experienced players will handle most of the mechanics without you having to get overly involved.

(yes i know that a lot of people just want to push 1 and consider "don't stand in the fire" to be needlessly complicated)

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The aetherpath was good, except for the ooze door puzzle -right- at the beginning that is just so poorly made and RNG/class dependent for both lanes to succeed at the same time, especially with a pug, that it ruins the whole dungeon and probably made a lot of people quit it in frustration.

So many people that would continuously try to kill the ooze no matter how many times you tried to explain it :psyduck:

There's a group of us in GOON who still run it fairly regularly. I'd argue that all you need everyone to bring is a small amount of CC or missile block (every class has this) and enough awareness to body block projectiles. We recently completed it with all warriors, all thieves, all guardians, and all tempests and had no glaring issues with any of these classes.

I won't disagree that it's poorly made: last night when we ran it, the lava elementals attacked the ranger pet the entire time, allowing us to casually walk the oozes to the gate.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Xenix posted:

There's a group of us in GOON who still run it fairly regularly. I'd argue that all you need everyone to bring is a small amount of CC or missile block (every class has this) and enough awareness to body block projectiles. We recently completed it with all warriors, all thieves, all guardians, and all tempests and had no glaring issues with any of these classes.

I won't disagree that it's poorly made: last night when we ran it, the lava elementals attacked the ranger pet the entire time, allowing us to casually walk the oozes to the gate.

The pet probably had the most toughness in the room.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Raid bosses are specifically set to prioritize toughness over everything else, but other NPCs have arbitrary values for who they want to attack (which can include toughness). Wouldn't be surprising if player controlled pets had priority just so Ranger pet tanking would ever work, you can even sometimes catch the raid bosses going after the wrong target when there's a million jagged horrors and phantasms up.

Of course all we really know about the threat system is through pre-release interviews from 2011, and things like 'I swear they posted something about people with shields on getting more aggro'.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

rip wildstar

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Xenix posted:

What time are you dudes typically active? I never ran aetherpath before, and I need it for dungeon completion.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Arus what do you feel about putting pants on a Quaggan?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kessel posted:

I actually encourage anyone who hasn't tried the raids yet to tag along with a goon group for at least a single tour. Only the last fight of the three, Sabetha, requires everyone to stay alert enough to perform a particular task. The other two fights are, for new players, pretty much "DPS hard" and "don't stand in the fire you nitwit". The experienced players will handle most of the mechanics without you having to get overly involved.

(yes i know that a lot of people just want to push 1 and consider "don't stand in the fire" to be needlessly complicated)

Not standing in fire is hard jeez okay?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Is that why you're always dying to creeperbombs at goomteq? :hehe:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's not fire so I don't know what to do with it!!!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

New changes for PVP Season 2

Part that stuck out for me was this, justifying removing the possiblity of a five player premade versus five solo players match happening at all:

quote:

Only 1% of all Ranked matches played in season one were a full five-person premade group vs. a group of five solo players, and even then, the win rate for those five solo player teams in those cases was consistently at or above 50% throughout the entire season.

Is it me, or are they saying the premades lost more than half the time against five randoms? Cause I really really hope so

e: also basic pip changes are win +1, lose -1, ragequit/DC -1 and if a team member drops and you lose the match no change, which is nice
e2: I should finish reading the article before commenting

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 18, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you're a 5 stack against all Solos they are going to be significantly better at the game than anyone in your party

Imo 2 people is the sweet spot, having a friend to talk to (and complain about necros at) is really nice, it let's you have one person on both points your team ideally controls so you can rotate intelligently when your friend calls for it, and it doesn't seem to skew mmr too bad

E: I'm real glad they're changing the system to be based off what rank/pips you are instead of having a split rank and MMR system.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 18, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Magres posted:

If you're a 5 stack against all Solos they are going to be significantly better at the game than anyone in your party

Imo 2 people is the sweet spot, having a friend to talk to (and complain about necros at) is really nice, it let's you have one person on both points your team ideally controls so you can rotate intelligently when your friend calls for it, and it doesn't seem to skew mmr too bad

E: I'm real glad they're changing the system to be based off what rank/pips you are instead of having a split rank and MMR system.

This has been my experience too. A lot of PvE guilds queue together too in the hopes of having better odds, so that probably throws off the stats in a significant number of cases.

The win streak and loss streak pips are also probably necessary, as the vast majority of players (even those at the top) aren't going to be that far above a 60% win rate overall.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 19, 2016

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Illuyankas posted:

PvP poo poo

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ItBurns posted:

This has been my experience too. A lot of PvE guilds queue together too in the hopes of having better odds, so that probably throws off the stats in a significant number of cases.

The win streak and loss streak pips are also probably necessary, as the vast majority of players (even those at the top) aren't going to be that far above a 60% win rate overall.

I really like the streak system. Win streak pips speed you along to your proper level of pips, which is good. Loss Streak breaking pips help you rebound from a bad night (and give you something to look forward to after a bad night) which is also good.

Any idea how long next season is supposed to be?

penofguino
Aug 8, 2015

Magres posted:

Question, anyone got advice for how the heck you solo towers now that the tower lords all have breakbars?

You just range it and tag up praying someone else shows up to rez you from downstate.

Seriously it is much more difficult now, but with two people it is just as easy as it ever was.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Illuyankas posted:

Is it me, or are they saying the premades lost more than half the time against five randoms? Cause I really really hope so
well it is geedubs dos sPvP, so it is more like everyone losing all the time

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Haven't played this game since before HoT came out, I have an 80 Engi and 80 Ele that I'm not too keen on playing so I've decided to make a new character, but I'm stuck at the profession screen and cannot decide what class I want to make.

Necro looks pretty appealing, especially with their new elite, and I've always been interested in Thief. I usually end up doing sPvP but I'd like to delve into WvW this time around. I'm not too interested in Mesmer or Warrior but I'm open to anything else. Suggestions?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it turns out the long range thief dodge completely shuts down necromancers because their chills don't stick :smug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I still have a ton of trouble with Necros because I just can't get through that much health before they kill my squishy Thief :(

It is pretty funny to get into a scrape with a Necro and know at any time I can disengage and there's next to nothing they can do about it though!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bone posted:

Haven't played this game since before HoT came out, I have an 80 Engi and 80 Ele that I'm not too keen on playing so I've decided to make a new character, but I'm stuck at the profession screen and cannot decide what class I want to make.

Necro looks pretty appealing, especially with their new elite, and I've always been interested in Thief. I usually end up doing sPvP but I'd like to delve into WvW this time around. I'm not too interested in Mesmer or Warrior but I'm open to anything else. Suggestions?

Can't go wrong with Necro, its quickly turning into my favorite class.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

ItBurns posted:

They also went for more tiers and fewer pips in each tier, so you don't need as long a streak to move up the lower divisions

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

don no

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

an interesting take on loss.jpg

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 19, 2016

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Things are getting way to abstract for me... though I like the use of tentacles for the borders.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

This shot was quite clearly doctored.

Adbot