Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
the professor probably doesnt even read it; just makes sure you didnt type a single 5 page long sentence and gives you a random number between 70 and 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

the professor probably doesnt even read it; just makes sure you didnt type a single 5 page long sentence and gives you a random number between 70 and 100.

This may be true, but why are you even in school if you're not gonna do the work? If you enlisted, you won't convince anyone you're somehow "above" English 101 writing assignments.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

at the date posted:

I'm obviously not saying it's fine to cheat on tests, but papers are a whole different thing. Stuff you write in college sticks around for decades and gets dug up and reread for a variety of reasons. I'm leaving aside the whole ethical issue since clearly that isn't a problem for this idiot.

I see what you mean, tests do hold a bit less weight.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Anybody used one of the paper writing services before? Actual decent classes I give a poo poo about I'd write them myself, but this English 101 bullshit (rhetorical analysis, WOO!) is going to make me lose my loving mind with how terrible and pedantic it is.

You will actually learn something from doing a thing you don't feel like doing, imagine that. It may not be something you want to learn, but it will be something useful. And next time it will be easier. Don't be a bitch. If you can't hack a 101 class, quit school.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
please learn how to write and argue on topics you're not personally interested in

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Then go troll D&D.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vasudus posted:

please learn how to write and argue on topics you're not personally interested in

Shut up blue squares, go back to living off of your $300/month.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People who can't read and write well are literally subhuman. Everyone can do it, but some people think they're rebels or whatever.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Why wouldn't you just CLEP Eng 101? I know the first try is free for active / reserves, but don't vets still get at least a discount? You only need like a 50 to pass and get credit too on most of them.

That's my plan this summer. Knocking out as many CLEPs as I can between the spring and fall semesters so I don't have to wade through bullshit classes and waste benefit months, since I'm working full time and only able to take a few classes at once.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gettin all my poo poo set up to get back to school and i've got my school email address ready to go.

quick tell me about all the free poo poo i can whore my email out for.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
it's like shoving my fat face full of food at the applebee's because i'm being thanked for my service, except my face is my email and the food is free software and junk

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Most schools have software, or pay for a 3rd party service, that scans all electronically submitted work and compares it to your current class' work, previous submissions and even crawls the web, and research databases. If you do a direct copy and paste, chances are pretty good you'll get caught because there are characters, symbols, and code snippets that don't render, but still get copied into your documents. That how people get busted in pretty much every CSE department, and it happens for other classes too.

If you type out something verbatim, it's less likely you'll get caught. However, there's still a chance for someone who's been teaching the class for years to recognize the work. I hated English too, but I did the work myself, and actually managed to get good grades in those classes. Now I forgot everything and my grasp on grammar is back to caveman levels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Failing a course of getting a D is honestly better than getting an academic misconduct charge against you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ckwiesr posted:

Why wouldn't you just CLEP Eng 101? I know the first try is free for active / reserves, but don't vets still get at least a discount? You only need like a 50 to pass and get credit too on most of them.

That's my plan this summer. Knocking out as many CLEPs as I can between the spring and fall semesters so I don't have to wade through bullshit classes and waste benefit months, since I'm working full time and only able to take a few classes at once.

I need the gpa boost so I never told anyone about my AP grades.

Otherwise I'd have already graduated

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I need the gpa boost so I never told anyone about my AP grades.

Otherwise I'd have already graduated

So I'm guessing no one ever told you that transfer credit doesn't bring the grade in or count toward your GPA? Only classes you take at that institution count toward your GPA.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

So I'm guessing no one ever told you that transfer credit doesn't bring the grade in or count toward your GPA? Only classes you take at that institution count toward your GPA.

I think that's his point: he wanted to take the easy freshman level courses for the GPA bump.

In other news, the VA sent me a letter saying that they're doing away with REAP and that basically anyone eligible for REAP is also eligible for post 9/11.

Does the VA consider 3 graduate courses as full time?

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012

The Slithery D posted:

Reminds me, if you're separated or going to in the next 18 months Syracuse offers a bunch of free online certificaiton classes. I've finished Six Sigma Green Belt and am working on my PMP. You have to apply and I think they only accept a cohort once a year (I started last July), check it out.

http://vets.syr.edu/education/employment-programs/

Thank you very much. I have about 16 months left. I am going to try and apply for the July cohort.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

I think that's his point: he wanted to take the easy freshman level courses for the GPA bump.

In other news, the VA sent me a letter saying that they're doing away with REAP and that basically anyone eligible for REAP is also eligible for post 9/11.

9 semester hours is full time. 6 is 75%, 3 is 50%

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

Ahhh I totally misinterpreted that as he didn't want his bad AP grades running his GPA.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wants easy A yet wants to have someone else do the work.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wants easy A yet wants to have someone else do the work.

Not the same guy.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Whoever writes the admissions essays for these international students at Columbia is probably what you're after.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zeris posted:

Whoever writes the admissions essays for these international students at Columbia is probably what you're after.

Following the china.jpg thread has given a lot of insight into these types things. Lots of rich chinese students don't speak or read any english yet get into various grad/bachelors programs and do nothing but cheat their way through. Upon being caught it's mostly swept under the rug and they're quietly given their degrees. Virtually all will simply return to China once done and take a job at dad's company or working for him in his government office. The degree is meaningless other than just to say they have it. The schools turn a blind eye because they gouge the gently caress out of them on tuition.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Helps explain the large Chinese student population at my college.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Following the china.jpg thread has given a lot of insight into these types things. Lots of rich chinese students don't speak or read any english yet get into various grad/bachelors programs and do nothing but cheat their way through. Upon being caught it's mostly swept under the rug and they're quietly given their degrees. Virtually all will simply return to China once done and take a job at dad's company or working for him in his government office. The degree is meaningless other than just to say they have it. The schools turn a blind eye because they gouge the gently caress out of them on tuition.

This is an actual op/ed posted in our school paper

http://features.columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2015/12/14/the-chinese-elite-at-columbia/

quote:

Editor’s note, Dec. 15, 2015, 7:05 p.m.: It has come to our attention that one of the images that was originally made to accompany this op-ed bore a resemblance to the Japanese Rising Sun Flag. Though the flag has a complicated history, for many people around the globe it is negatively associated with imperialism and oppression. We apologize for not realizing beforehand the associations this image has, and we have since removed it from the op-ed.

We also realize that an earlier version of this piece did not adequately identify it as opinion content. We have since adjusted the headline accordingly.

Our boarding school backgrounds, our posh accents, our stylish outfits—in my experience, American students are often astonished by us Chinese internationals.

What they expect to see, I think, are the sensitive and studious Chinese déclassés who flooded into American engineering programs after the Cultural Revolution and campus upheavals of the 1980s. It is impossible to ignore the difference between those students—those who marched off to the United States, scholarships in hand, with the goal of promoting their extended families’ quality of life—and us. We’ve been sent off by our politically influential families to get precious Ivy League diplomas straight out of boarding schools.

This glamorous exterior, however, only conceals people who are struggling with the dysfunctionalities, injustices, and hypocrisies of the Communist Party system. The contrast between the lofty Communist Party line our parents defend and the reality of the human depravity we witness in our lives forces our descent into depression, drug abuse, and all too often suicide.

People who don’t see this might envy our upscale lives. They view our weekend trips to Aspen, Colorado, or the Bahamas as mere excursions, as if our private jets simply shuttle us from one party to the next. As if our exotic summer travels are just about where we get to go, not about the political system we get to stay away from. They see our impeccable style—clothes from Alaïa, Jil Sander, or Valentino—and don’t recognize the self-hate that comes with our self-enhancement.

And of course, they know we can study whatever subject we want. We don’t feel the pressure to find a lucrative job after graduation.

On the surface, we are popular, right? No. At the center of the party, amid the sycophantic small talk, we are very, very alone. We Chinese “elite” are islands in the sea: No one comes in, no one goes out. Our luxury, our lavishness, and our libertinage are grapplings for a sense of fulfillment, of belonging. We are disconnected from other students, other Chinese people, even ourselves.

True, there are thousands of Chinese graduate students at Columbia, and more than a billion Chinese people on Earth. We come from the core of a political machine, the Chinese Communist Party, that deeply influences the Chinese people. Yet we, the Chinese elite, are fundamentally unable to communicate with them. There exist two realities; an impermeable line separates us Chinese elite and the Chinese students from different-class families.

Fundamental differences in our upbringing––differences in wealth, in the ways we access information––erect difficult barriers of communication between us. How can we understand the hardships they overcame to make their way to Columbia? How can we understand the pragmatism of their career goals, when we have these four years to find some fulfillment and escape before we return to the belly of the Communist regime? How can they understand the pessimism and the depression that results from this expectation when all they might see of Chinese politics is what the party allows them to, while we witness the tragedy and self-deception of high society?

Even as the free flow of information in the United States exposes many Chinese people to the realities of our country’s horrific past, they seem to show little interest in publicly discussing the crimes––like the Tiananmen Square Massacre or today’s proliferating organ harvests––that have been hidden from them, and they fail to understand the crosses that we, the beneficiaries of the Communist takeover, must bear.

When the glimmer of our lifestyles dulls for a bit, it is not as if we do not wish to be them. It is not as if, in those moments, we don’t long for the ordinary epiphany, the static exhilaration, the popular revelation of being one of them. However, the fact is that most of us have long given up on that hope. Discarded to boarding schools at early ages, we see the political lives and the arranged marriages that our families will prepare for us, and we resign ourselves to our fate.

In other words, Columbia is a utopia. As with all utopias, we cherish it for its transience.

Our dissatisfaction stems from a clash between our inherited Chinese values and the Western ideals to which we were exposed at boarding school. The values we inherit from our homeland are values of conformity. The “model worker” is ready to work selflessly wherever he is sent, never thinking of reward, treating natural human emotions as nothing more than an unavoidable irritation. It symbolizes the official ethical ideal and is, in fact, the highest decoration given by the Chinese Communist Party.

How can this ideal, in which even our parents do not fully believe, not be shattered by the individualistic thinking we encounter at boarding schools and Columbia? The three essential currents of Western civilization we study in Literature Humanities at Columbia are foreign to the basic demand of Communist conformity: the classical world, the Church, and the emergence of national states through war and conquest. We are caught between the worlds of Socratic seminar methods that encourage students to question and Chinese blind obedience. All of the West’s ethical, social, and legal concepts are imprinted into our elite Ivy League education.

At boarding schools and Columbia, we live with amazement that we have been mistaken about nearly everything having to do with China, its history, its people, its faith, the roots of its culture, and the imprints—still visible, still warm—of that culture on the Chinese past and on the mind and character of the people. It is therefore natural for us to develop a strong favoritism toward Western civilization. The numerous lies in Chinese textbooks and newspapers have made it nearly impossible to trust any official ideology in China anymore.

So we reject our Communist values and do our best not to associate with the system. As a matter of fact, we try not to think about it at all. In public we continue to speak of the importance of “personal sacrifice for the sake of social welfare,” but do not practice it. We seek as much as possible to avoid all bureaucracy, all “social work.” In short, the defensive statement released in the Harvard Crimson three years ago by Bo Guagua, a son of deposed Communist Party leader Bo Xilai, is not a rare case. We use every honest and dishonest means at our disposal to protect our private lives from the cumbersome intrusion of the so-called Chinese totalitarian system.

The ideal successors of Chinese Communism are prepared to offer themselves up to the cause of Communist triumph, and they belong to the past. They are dead, undone by the visible gap between word and deed, between ideology and reality. While studying abroad in the Ivy League, they are dependent on the regime, and use it as a kind of feeding trough for money. What they love in their country is their family’s connections to the ruling Communist Party, which overrules their pride to be Chinese. After becoming better acquainted with the works of Western literature studied in Literature Humanities, they refuse to even look at a single Chinese book. They excuse themselves on the grounds that the Chinese language is crude and unpleasant. This excuse is worse than the refusal itself.

They think that “ideology” and “identity” cannot be expressed in their mother tongue, and that it is not worth the effort of mastering it. Equipped with the elitist mindset they acquired while in boarding school, they regard their compatriots much as Rome regarded the cities that surrounded it: equally ready for alliance or war with the Chinese political machine, they choose one or the other on the basis of self-interest.

However, you would be mistaken to think that this change of heart is permanent. In the end, this newfound individualism and defiance of ours will crumble like those selfsame Roman walls as we graduate and expectations and simple familiarity draw us back into the Communist system. In the end, our denunciation is an charade, a lie to others and ourselves, and the certainty of our eventual capitulation hovers over our lives. We will continue to benefit from the exploitation we now find so repulsive, and praise in high tones the Communist tropes we find so hollow as they issue from our families’ mouths.

We still fight back when we can, though. Rebellion comes in many forms, such as Jang Kung-song, the only daughter between Jang Song-thaek, a former leading figure in the North Korean regime and his wife, Kim Kyong-hui, the current North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong-un’s aunt, who killed herself by overdosing on sleeping pills in Paris. Rebellion also comes in the form of my cousin Fabian, a graduate of Andover and Dartmouth, who also committed suicide.

Yet how can I understand a person driven to suicide by the demons of individualism, asceticism, or despair, when I myself am in love with asceticism and individualism? When in myself there is nothing that I love more than my own individualism and privilege of studying the humanities and social sciences at one of the most prestigious American universities, when I, and almost everyone I know, am trailed by a gnawing shadow of similar allure?

The New York Times columnist Ian Johnson translated a popular blog post on Chinese social media immediately after a deadly train accident in 2012. He pictured China as a flying train and urged, “China, please stop your flying pace, wait for your people, wait for your soul, wait for your morality, wait for your conscience! Don’t let the train run out off track, don’t let the bridges collapse, don’t let the roads become traps, don’t let houses become ruins. Walk slowly, allowing every life to have freedom and dignity. No one should be left behind by our era.”

Yet there is no clear response from Chinese political leadership, just a recorded train station announcement. The rattling of the wheels, growing louder every year, is nothing more than the nearly unnoticeable sound of political reformation. The train, around which “the rent air thunders and becomes wind,” is racing straight at us. When the people rush to us, the highly Westernized Chinese elite who are presently still students, we are struck by certain death under the train’s mad wheels.

The author is a first-year in the Columbia/Jewish Theological Seminary joint program with prospective majors in ethnicity and race studies and Jewish history. Originally from China, she grew up between her hometown and boarding schools, and is of mixed Chinese and Jewish heritage.

To respond to this op-ed, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would like to suffer silently and alone in existential despair while on vacation to Aspen.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If I'm already going to suffer from existential angst, I might as well do it on a sunny beach with a little drink with an umbrella in it

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
while wearing a pastel colored sideways baseball cap, and some bedazzled jorts because Asians have ~impeccable style~

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So someone rewrote some 16th century treatise on the burden of nobility in modern language as a joke right?

Right?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
loving lmbo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got the good news yesterday that my PEB said :getout: so I'm planning and moving forward to going to college. Applying at USD and trying to get into their arts program ending up with a BA in Visual Arts with emphasis on Video/Film and hopefully a minor in photography. Hoping I can get accepted, even though I have prior college (almost have my AA Gen Studies at Thomas Edison) they might not accept any of my credits because it's from an online school despite it being regionally accredited.

Anyone got some pointers and tips for me?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

I got the good news yesterday that my PEB said :getout: so I'm planning and moving forward to going to college. Applying at USD and trying to get into their arts program ending up with a BA in Visual Arts with emphasis on Video/Film and hopefully a minor in photography. Hoping I can get accepted, even though I have prior college (almost have my AA Gen Studies at Thomas Edison) they might not accept any of my credits because it's from an online school despite it being regionally accredited.

Anyone got some pointers and tips for me?

What are you planning on doing with it?

I don't mean give us a response like you're building a business plan for a loan, but somewhere between that and "stuff".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You probably wanna talk to Victor Vermis and Slim Pickens, as they're the film dudes here they may have some insight into that degree.

The rest of us are just gonna be like, "lol film degree."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm a 46R in the Army, and I've been doing film and producing for 4+ years. I like the creativity of it, and I've already been approached by a group in Australia about potentially going to work there based on my current work.

I'd plan on trying to work for a production company or editing company with it, and maybe go back and work as a GS. I'm sure I could do that now but slots are always slim, I don't have a degree despite being close to getting one, and it's honestly probably the best option for my skill set. I could also do a BA in Humanities with some emphasis in film and video work, but I'd rather just have the whole shebang.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Lmao @ fart degree

go for it

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Lmao @ fart degree

go for it

I'm gonna. Also I already have a fart degree. So sayeth my wife.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I know a couple dudes that do film stuff now, but they got degrees in journalism and mass media. They're doing pretty well for themselves these days, but there was about a year or two after college where they didn't have much going on pay check wise. However, I do know of a few other people with film degrees, or some degree with the intention of getting into film, that do nothing closely related to it years after graduating.

The experience you have definitely will be an advantage so good luck. Also, you should hop on that Australian thing because that place is fun as gently caress, also to help build up your professional reel.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 19, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

I know a couple dudes that do film stuff now, but they got degrees in journalism and mass media. They're doing pretty well for themselves these days, but there was about a year or two after college where they didn't have much going on pay check wise. However, I do know of a few other people with film degrees, or some degree with the intention of getting into film, that do nothing closely related to it years after graduated.

The experience you have definitely will be an advantage so good luck. Also, you should hop on that Australian thing because that place is fun as gently caress, also to help build up your professional reel.

If it goes through I plan on it. It would be great. My buddy said it would be around 60-70k a year doing what I do already, so that's ace for me.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

This might not be the right thread, but where should I go for BAH questions? I didn't receive any at the beginning of the month, and my vocrehab counselor said she forgot to file the paperwork. That was two weeks ago. My school said she called yesterday asking for them to send her the paperwork again. She hasn't answered any of my emails or calls this week. I honesty don't know what to do. If this doesn't get fixed by the first of the month I'll be sunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

App13 posted:

This might not be the right thread, but where should I go for BAH questions? I didn't receive any at the beginning of the month, and my vocrehab counselor said she forgot to file the paperwork. That was two weeks ago. My school said she called yesterday asking for them to send her the paperwork again. She hasn't answered any of my emails or calls this week. I honesty don't know what to do. If this doesn't get fixed by the first of the month I'll be sunk.

:siren: Vasudus, please answer the white courtesy phone :siren:

• Locked thread