Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Stormcrow's pretty fun. You usually want to lurk around the assaults until some light rushes in to try for a kill, then gun them down before they realize you're there.

Stormcrow is pretty good at killing everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Opinions on 4 flamer 4 ASRM6 crow?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

Stormcrow is pretty good at killing everything

It is, I'm talking specifically about the streakcrow

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Drythe posted:

Opinions on 4 flamer 4 ASRM6 crow?

6 flamers, 6 small pulse, 2x ASRM6. It loving OWNS.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oh god I didn't realise radar deprivation costed as much as a mech

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

It's worth it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

hemale in pain posted:

The true cost isn't in c-bills. It's much, much, much worse than that.

It's that you have to switch it every time you change mechs.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's worth it.

Consider it the best 4+ non-mechs you'll buy. You will buy many because you will be lazy/drunk/both.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Kazvall posted:

6 flamers, 6 small pulse, 2x ASRM6. It loving OWNS.

You think the small pulses are better than 12 more missles hitting someone?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TehSaurus posted:

I didn't realize the Direwolf was fragile fire support. Sounds like it can be excellent with coordination but terrible otherwise - so not good for pub-drops but maybe great in goon drops provided I'm not terrible (I'm terrible and also probably drunk). Maybe I'd be better off just buying the 4N if I want to go this way since I've already got a bunch of elite stalkers.

I love giant things, but the Stormcrow sounds like it might be the best way to try some new roles that I've never really looked at before since I've never driven a medium. I think from what I looked at 14m would be enough to set up one of the builds in the OP. But checking out the trial first seems like a good idea.

Stormcrows and timberwolves are the best mechs in the game, 2nd is the hellbringer. It's debatable after that but if you want clan mechs get timberwolf/stormcrow/hellbringer first then go from there to direwolves or whatever.

Talmonis posted:

I want the next IS group to be the Bushwacker, Guillotine, Javelin and Cyclops.

Are the others IS omnimechs too? Sarna does not really say. But I'll agree with anything to start seeing IS omnimechs and X-Pulse lasers.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 18, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

EoRaptor posted:

The direwolf isn't really better than the stalker. The stalker is a front line assault mech, capable of performing well in the line of battle, dishing out as much as it takes. The direwolf is a fire support mech, capable of dishing out monstrous damage while being terribly fragile. They don't have the same playstyle at all.

Is this really true? I know that profile matters a lot, but at the end of the day the Stalker is fifteen tons lighter and wears about 90 fewer points of armor than the Direwolf. But beyond that particular example...

... see, I quit around the time the Clan mechs were first released, and at the time they were absurdly, blatantly, shamelessly better than IS mechs in every way (and P2W too, due to being cash-only for months - which was the main reason I quit).

Now I heard that they've added a lot of bonuses to IS mechs in the forms of quirks. I though that was a decent, if lazy, way to balance out the factions.

But looking at the quirk list on Smurfy, I see that they aren't nearly as meaningful as I thought. The weapon bonuses are way weaker than the improved stats Clan weapons get - and only some of the structure/armour bonuses for IS mechs are significantly bigger than the corresponding bonuses for Clan mechs.

So: are clans still considered blatantly OP? If not, why?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A lot of it has to do with mechanics of how the weapons work. Clan lasers have noticably longer burn times, their ACs come out as a stream of damage rather than a single projectile, their heat capacity is lower than IS mechs, you can't swap engines around on them, etc. The last in particular fucks the Dire Wolf pretty hard. Most good Stalker builds you will see are going 64kph, and even the Atlas is usually found cruising around the low 60s. The DW, though, is stuck plodding along at 50 or so, which really bones it when it comes to this game. Twist rates are also an issue with a lot of clan designs.

I think you're also underrating a lot of the quirks. Some mechs have pretty beastly ones, especially when you start stacking a bunch of things.

This isn't to say all IS mechs are great. There are a bunch that are trash because of poo poo quirks, awful hardpoints, or terrible geometry (or all of the above). Still, it's not quite as simple as clans being 110% OP.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

NihilCredo posted:

Is this really true? I know that profile matters a lot, but at the end of the day the Stalker is fifteen tons lighter and wears about 90 fewer points of armor than the Direwolf. But beyond that particular example...

... see, I quit around the time the Clan mechs were first released, and at the time they were absurdly, blatantly, shamelessly better than IS mechs in every way (and P2W too, due to being cash-only for months - which was the main reason I quit).

Now I heard that they've added a lot of bonuses to IS mechs in the forms of quirks. I though that was a decent, if lazy, way to balance out the factions.

But looking at the quirk list on Smurfy, I see that they aren't nearly as meaningful as I thought. The weapon bonuses are way weaker than the improved stats Clan weapons get - and only some of the structure/armour bonuses for IS mechs are significantly bigger than the corresponding bonuses for Clan mechs.

It's not really a matter of clan mechs being better in general, it's that certain clan mechs are the best in the game (timber, stormcrow, hellbringer) and good luck unhorsing them until they introduce IS omni mechs and better weapons.

Dire is slower and has giant hitboxes so even though it may have more armor it's much easier to kill or remove a side torso. It can't lead a push at all and if you come to a corner with a firing line on the other side you just have to sit and wait, it's best thought of as an anti poke mech because you can severely punish anyone coming around a corner to poke at you. Wheras a stalker is certainly a poke mech.

As far as quirk balancing; the mechs that can actually give the clans a run for the money are thunderbolt, quickdraw, crab, stalker, and battlemaster. Honorary mentions can go to the Atlas, blackjack, and maybe the black knight.

The other lazy balancing factor is that IS small lasers don't have ghost heat, and large lasers have a ghost heat cap of 3 instead of 2 for clans. But that hardly matters really when a IS large laser is only marginally better than a clan er medium.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 18, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

NihilCredo posted:

A lot of the small quirks add up. On something like the BL-7-KNT-L, you get 10% range and heat gen bonuses and 15% duration bonuses for energy. Alone it's not a huge deal, but having your big alpha laser strike take up 10% less heat means you can get another alpha in before you have to cool down, and the duration bonus means you can put more damage on a single component and twist more effectively. The structure bonuses also make you much tankier -- the BL-7-KNT-L effectively has over 100 extra structure hit points, which makes it a pain in the rear end to take down.

Clan 'mech weapons run hotter, burn longer, and while their robots have clan XL engines, they don't have structure bonuses. Overall they are probably still better at range, but they can't take the kind of punishment most IS robots do. Put it this way -- An Atlas-S can tank an extra 107 points of internal structure in its upper body, and because it's running a STD it can survive both torsos getting blown off. A Dire Wolf can do more damage at range, but will pretty much always lose a close-range fight with an Atlas because it's much squishier

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Washout posted:

Are the others IS omnimechs too? Sarna does not really say. But I'll agree with anything to start seeing IS omnimechs and X-Pulse lasers.
The Raptor is currently in-timeline.

3056-ish you get Omni versions of the Blackjack and Firestarter, plus the Perseus, Strider and Owens, which are more or less Omni-Orions, Cicadas and Jenners, respectively. Then there's the Avatar, Sunder and Black Hawk-KU which are IS takes on the Mad Dog, Summoner/Hellbringer, and Nova.

then around 3060 there's the Arctic Fox, Men Shen, Templar, and Hauptmann.

Then that's it till the Celestials during the Jihad.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

The 'is clan op?' thing I can't really answer, the flexibility with hardpoints certainly allows better optimization of loadout, but does that translate into measurable gameplay advantage is more difficult to quantify, at least for me. Specific mechs certainly are, but some are clearly not (eg: mist lynx).

The direwolf has particular weaknesses the stalker does not. If the direwolf has an open field of fire, it is usually dominant. However, against peak'n'poke or hill hump mechs it will usually lose, and against mechs that can simply stay behind it, always lose. Why this is speaks to the overall issue with MWO: the shape of a mech, more than anything else, decides how useful it will be on the field. The direwolf is too big to hide easily, and too regular in shape to avoid targeted damage.

Let's propose two scenarios:

2xUAC10 + 3xUAC5 Direwolf vs 3xLPL Blackjack on open terrain. In this first scenario, the weight of firepower available to the direwolf will destroy the blackjack, probably before any serious harm accrues to the direwolf.

2xUAC10 + 3xUAC5 Direwolf vs 3xLPL Blackjack, where cover is available to both parties. In this one, the Blackjack will almost certainly win. It can leave cover, deliver damage and return to cover before the direwolfs weight of fire can be brought to bear, and the direwolf is too slow to perform similarly, and must remain exposed or retreat from the field of battle. The blackjack can also twist to spread damage, an option denied to the direwolf.

Since most, if not all maps, have cover available, and most players are competent enough to use it, scenario 2 is going to occur much more frequently than scenario 1.

Yes, there are other direwolf builds, including laser vomit and/or gauss ones, but my scenarios wouldn't, I think, be meaningfully changed by a different builds.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 18, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The Raptor is currently in-timeline.

3056-ish you get Omni versions of the Blackjack and Firestarter, plus the Perseus, Strider and Owens, which are more or less Omni-Orions, Cicadas and Jenners, respectively. Then there's the Avatar, Sunder and Black Hawk-KU which are IS takes on the Mad Dog, Summoner/Hellbringer, and Nova.

then around 3060 there's the Arctic Fox, Men Shen, Templar, and Hauptmann.

Then that's it till the Celestials during the Jihad.

I would like to see flyingdebris remake a lot of these mechs in his style. i wonder if he would get the celestials away from anime mecha and into something a tad more realistic

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

EoRaptor posted:

The 'is clan op?' thing I can't really answer, the flexibility with hardpoints certainly allows better optimization of loadout, but does that translate into measurable gameplay advantage is more difficult to quantify, at least for me. Specific mechs certainly are, but some are clearly not (eg: mist lynx).

The direwolf has particular weaknesses the stalker does not. If the direwolf has an open field of fire, it is usually dominant. However, against peak'n'poke or hill hump mechs it will usually lose, and against mechs that can simply stay behind it, always lose. Why this is speaks to the overall issue with MWO: the shape of a mech, more than anything else, decides how useful it will be on the field. The direwolf is too big to hide easily, and too regular in shape to avoid targeted damage.

Let's propose two scenarios:

2xUAC10 + 3xUAC5 Direwolf vs 3xLPL Blackjack on open terrain. In this first scenario, the weight of firepower available to the direwolf will destroy the blackjack, probably before nay serious harm accrues to the direwolf.

2xUAC10 + 3xUAC5 Direwolf vs 3xLPL Blackjack, where cover is available to both parties. In this one, the Blackjack will almost certainly win. It can leave cover, deliver damage and return to cover before the direwolfs weight of fire can be brought to bear, and the direwolf is too slow to perform similarly, and must remain exposed or retreat from the field of battle. The blackjack can also twist to spread damage, an option denied to the direwolf.

Since most, if not all maps, have cover available, and most players are competent enough to use it, scenario 2 is going to occur much more frequently than scenario 1.

Yes, there are other direwolf builds, including laser vomit and/or gauss ones, but my scenarios wouldn't, I think, be meaningfully changed by a different builds.

The blackjack won't win against any half-decent pilot 1 on 1 with a dire wolf that knows it's just the two of them, and where it is. A medium is just not durable enough to take that kind of firepower, and a patient pilot will alpha strike the it's face the moment it pops up to shoot. Where the difference really shines though, is when the medium isn't the focus of it's attention.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I played the game back in beta and stopped right around when they introduced ELO or their second ELO fix, I forget which. Wanted to get back into the game when Clan mechs were finally introduce but forgot all about it aside from periphery news (hahaha 55 bucks for a virtual clan mech ahahahah) until now.

Timber Wolf/Mad Cats are my jam. Took the current trial one out for a spin and had a bunch of fun, managed to scrape together enough Cbills (had a Catapult-K set up as an ERPPC sniper and an Atlas I was building to be an ECM brawler, sold those, kept my Muromets for money making) to get a Prime and outfit it to the laser vomit designation in the OP.

It is amazing. Solo pubdropping I tend to be in the top 3 match scores (had a really good game where I ended up last alive and had to take down a lance worth of decently damaged mechs by myself :black101:) That will probably change as my pilot rank gets higher though.

Also I wouldn't count out some ballistics. Had a match yesterday where a King Crab 3 shot me with 4 AC/20's, one to my leg, the second to my right torso and the last cored me. Then again I was kind of rough on armor considering I had been trading shots for a bit (and I ended up being the 'scout' that found the enemy in the first place and took a bunch of laser fire from that) and I overextended trying to get a kill on him.

So really, I was just surprised that it was so abrupt in that case :v:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Talmonis posted:

The blackjack won't win against any half-decent pilot 1 on 1 with a dire wolf that knows it's just the two of them, and where it is. A medium is just not durable enough to take that kind of firepower, and a patient pilot will alpha strike the it's face the moment it pops up to shoot. Where the difference really shines though, is when the medium isn't the focus of it's attention.

With cover, the blackjack can exit cover, fire, and return to cover before the direwolfs first shot has completely landed. The UAC's take a long time to complete their 'shot'. The Blackjack also has the advantage of exposing much less of itself, and being able to twist away to spread damage. There might be a direwolf with a build to counter this (6 LPL, maybe?) but I'd still put money on the blackjack almost all the time (or other similarly equipped and maneuverable mech).

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Where the gently caress is all the tonnage??

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Drythe posted:

He's going to need all that ammo because he'll survive for a long time in the match. That's why he's face checking your entire team at the front of his own team's conga line.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Drythe posted:

All their tonnage is in required components. Just the SRM4 and UAC10 with 1 ton of ammo each only leaves 3 tons extra.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TjyvTompa posted:

I have a problem with the Rifleman, it is too vulnerable to be a brawler, but too big and slow to zip around in. How are you supposed to play it?

That's the exact problem with a "light" heavy mech because armor is entirely tonnage dependant but you are in a "heavy" not a "60 ton battlemech" as far as pug drop grouping goes.

The solution is to play a 70-75 heavy or actually drop down to a medium mech. If you insist on sticking to the Rifleman just go entirely long range and never frontline brawl because 60 tons of armor goes fast.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
drat they haven't had a good mech sale in a while. I thought they had one every week or two.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

Novas are horribly sub-optimal mechs. Any nova that isn't boating energy weapons is essentially giving up 9 whole tons to any 50 ton mech you can build. 2.5 tons of jump jets. 2.5 tons of not having endo-steel. 4 tons of heat sinks. Where is all the tonnage? The nova doesn't even have it. The nova gives up 9 tons just to leave the hangar. Granted, those heatsinks are worthwhile in energy vomit builds, but then why even bother to field ballistic novas? Not only that, the heat sinks aren't really good enough to justify their mandatory inclusion.

The nova just isn't a good mech.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
nova is best mech the hell you on

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

teepo posted:

nova is best mech the hell you on

I can run triple AMS without being a Kit Fox. That's a good enough win for me.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
If I'm doing a quad ASRM6 Timber, should I run tons of SPL or a couple MPL with it?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

A bunch of awesome goons posted:

Words on the Direwolf.

drat thanks guys, I had no idea there were so many caveats to driving one of these. Looks like I'll be steering clear. Maybe I'll just jam 6LL on my 5S or just drive an Atlas around for a bit until I figure out what I want to do.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Stringbean posted:

If I'm doing a quad ASRM6 Timber, should I run tons of SPL or a couple MPL with it?

4 SPL is perfectly adequate. If you want something a bit longer range, go with 4 cERML and just remember that you probably won't be using them up close because they run hot as balls compared to your missiles.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The correct answer is 4xasrm6 and 4 flamers.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Servers just went down. :(

Are the Marauders good overall?

EDIT: Looks like someone locked Russ in the closet and nerfed the flamer fun.

quote:

We will be rolling out a hot-fix today, Thursday February 18th, scheduled for 4:00 PM PST [Midnight UTC], with the following fixes:

• Flamers will now remember the rate at which they were generating heat within the firing 'Mech, for a period of 4.75 seconds after a Flamer is disengaged. If a Flamer is engaged within that 4.75 second time frame, the rate at which the Flamer generates heat in the firing 'Mech will continue from where they left off. After that 4.75 second time frame (if no Flamer has been engaged) the heat generation value will decrease as usual, according to the cooling efficiency of the 'Mech.
• Note: The rate at which a Flamer generates heat in the firing 'Mech is a shared value, and applies to all equipped Flamers.
• This adjustment should address the issue where pilots could 'feather' or macro-ize Flamer trigger inputs to a point where they effectively became 'heat neutral'. A graph showing the approximate effect of this 'feathering', along with the effect of the above change, can be found here.
• Fixed an issue with DirectX auto-detection with certain GPUs.
• Fixed an issue where grouping of Weight Classes was not working correctly in Solo queue.
• Fixed an issue where the LCT-1V [P] was missing the Machine Gun Rate of Fire +20% Quirk.
• Fixed an issue where Energy Quirks for certain Inner Sphere variants were greater than 10%:
• HGN-733P
• RVN-4X
• WHM-6D
• WHM-BW
• ZEU-9S
• Fixed an issue where the Beam Range Boost for the Targeting Computer MKII was 4% instead of 5%.
• Stalker: Fixed an issue with the appearance of LRM-5 and SRM-6 weapons.
• Stalker: Fixed an issue with the appearance of hardpoint caps in the Right and Left Arm.

Whelp at least we had a couple days where flamers we useful and fun.

Raged fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 19, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Raged posted:

Servers just went down. :(

Are the Marauders good overall?

EDIT: Looks like someone locked Russ in the closet and nerfed the flamer fun.

Whelp at least we had a couple days where flamers we useful and fun.

gently caress YOU RUSS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
OH poo poo GUYS, WE MADE THE WORST WEAPON IN THE GAME USEABLE. MUST HOTFIX.

Why does pgi hate fun.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

veedubfreak posted:

OH poo poo GUYS, WE MADE THE WORST WEAPON IN THE GAME USEABLE. MUST HOTFIX.

Why does pgi hate fun.

Remember Boys & Girls if you don't like something in game cry about it on the forums by making multiple threads about it.

Except for us lying about banning cheaters. Sorry, we will have to ban you for that. Taste the irony

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

So when did we lose the narrative where we were exploiting something clearly exploitative, and making fun of Russ for denying anything was wrong?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Eh flamers were pretty silly, just having 2 of'em could keep someone around 90% heat easy. Probably not a dramatic change if you were running with 1-2 flamers.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Flamers would be able to keep people at max heat while generating no heat at all. It didn't need a macro you just had to chain fire them or just tap them. There was probably 0 actual play testing on the flamer change before pushing it live. Flamers were just retarded and obviously they never did any play testing before pushing the flamer change out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Unhappy Meal posted:

So when did we lose the narrative where we were exploiting something clearly exploitative, and making fun of Russ for denying anything was wrong?

Just the problem that once a mech is at max heat you will have to not fire your flamers for 4+ second. Otherwise you will max out your heat. The macro thing was crazy but even stuttering with a mouse does not work now. It's an overeaction.

• Locked thread