Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dely Apple posted:

There sure are a lot of free sets since last year. I assume the rep items I ground out long ago still are better than quest stuff.

Generally yes, the Iconian sets being the best atm. But you can upgrade pretty much anything to usefulness now through the crafting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Burning_Monk posted:

Generally yes, the Iconian sets being the best atm. But you can upgrade pretty much anything to usefulness now through the crafting system.

level 14 hyperpower ferengi whip :getin:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, the quest sets are fun little side-grades. I don't think any of them are actually required. The basic advice still stands: Get the Iconian rep set, fly whatever ship you want, pick a color you like for your weapons, and build around that.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, the quest sets are fun little side-grades. I don't think any of them are actually required. The basic advice still stands: Get the Iconian rep set, fly whatever ship you want, pick a color you like for your weapons, and build around that.
Sadly, the number of rainbow-beams are limited to the set Tetryon omni and the Lobi antiproton DBB, and both one-per-ship.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
edit: nvm

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Polarons now have yellow, blue, purple, and pink for your fabulous gay boat needs

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Jem'Hadar of Fire Island Nebula :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Polarons now have yellow, blue, purple, and pink for your fabulous gay boat needs

And purple with red particle effects.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You could use generic beam consoles if you want to just use any kind of beams. You lose about 10% damage compared to more focused consoles (or so I have been told) but if you don't give a poo poo then have at it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's actually closer to (I think) 2-3% if you use the spire tac consoles, since those are far closer to the boosts of energy type consoles than you'd find in generic consoles. It's close enough that I'd honestly suggest just buying a seat of +beam spire consoles if you can only afford one, so you can mix and match various types or various special beams if you really wanted to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda sad that my polaron ship isn't very pink any more. I lost the fabulous.

Asimo posted:

It's actually closer to (I think) 2-3% if you use the spire tac consoles, since those are far closer to the boosts of energy type consoles than you'd find in generic consoles. It's close enough that I'd honestly suggest just buying a seat of +beam spire consoles if you can only afford one, so you can mix and match various types or various special beams if you really wanted to.

Mmm. I have a full loadout of upgraded special unique advanced rep or quest beams to run with spire beam consoles. I'll annoy you to death with a million status effects.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda sad that my polaron ship isn't very pink any more. I lost the fabulous.

Mmm. I have a full loadout of upgraded special unique advanced rep or quest beams to run with spire beam consoles. I'll annoy you to death with a million status effects.

This is my new goal.

Protonic Arsenal 2pc (FAW on proton weapon)
Delta Arsenal (+Radiation damage)
Radiant Arsenal (+SIF, +temp HP bonus)
Romulan Singularity Harness (+EPS, +plasma damage)
Nukura Technology (+Tetryon damage, +flow caps)
Resonant Technology (+weapon power, +shield damage)

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Rooster takes on 6 BLACK guys at a time.

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: loading up my band gear after playing a set

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: in the car

[Local] Xur@thekodanarmada#7342: the car is a terrible place for a gig.

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: 6 black guys start walking up on me

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: chains

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: guns

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: i load my poo poo real quick

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: hop in the seat

[Local] Xur@thekodanarmada#7342: (Very important story element that: their skin color)

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: start it

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: ran over one of those fuckers

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: kicking my car and all

[Local] Vulture@rooster241: i was lucky to escape

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
So... he's claiming he murdered a dude in real life? I'm sure that the GM's would love to hear about a guy bragging about committing murder on their chat client.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Speaking of rainbow beams, there was a chat command back at launch, left over from champs I believe, where you could change the hue of your beam weapons.

They nixed it pretty quick. Something to do with people not knowing what beams you're using in PvP I think

not that it matters when you have different weapon types now that are the same colors of others.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Preechr posted:

So... he's claiming he murdered a dude in real life? I'm sure that the GM's would love to hear about a guy bragging about committing murder on their chat client.

So convicted for spousal abuse and is probably a murderer as well. Rooster never ceases to lower the bar.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It still works if you use the devclient.

Edit: poo poo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And of course the git's in a band. Probably lead guitar, like all of the other fantasists.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You should tell him that my band is better than his band, we've got more songs than a song convention.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Morglon posted:

You should tell him that my band is better than his band, we've got more songs than a song convention.

He ain't kidding.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9797693

Skill System Revamp.

"No more feeling as though you’re forced to sacrifice performance in your Starship for the sake of Ground Skills, or vice versa!"

I have to say, I like the idea of that.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 18, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tuskin38 posted:

Skill System Revamp.

"No more feeling as though you’re forced to sacrifice performance in your Starship for the sake of Ground Skills, or vice versa!"

Yeah, I like this a lot. It doesn't say so in the article, but one would assume that we get a remap with this?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tuskin38 posted:

Skill System Revamp.

This could be really good. Even if they gently caress it up, it'll probably still be a net improvement.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I've read the whole thing and I don't see any downsides personally, but I'm not that "hardcore" of a player. I'm sure there will be problems for others.

from bort

"We have also normalized the drop-off between Cannons and Beams, as part of these changes. Both have the same drop-off calculations, now."

So Cannons and Beams drop off damage at the same range now.

It is going live later this spring with 11.5, it will be on tribble soon though

Previously:
  • Cannons lost 60% of their base damage potential at 10km
  • Beams lost 40% of their base damage potential at 10km
Now:
  • Both lose 50% of their base damage potential at 10km (and this loss can be mitigated with the new Skill)

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 18, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huh, I was literally bitching about skills the other night. I'm still amazed they waited this long instead of revamping them when they added specializations, but whatever I'll take it.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Asimo posted:

Huh, I was literally bitching about skills the other night. I'm still amazed they waited this long instead of revamping them when they added specializations, but whatever I'll take it.

AFAIK they've been working on (or at least talking about/planning) this for a year or so, it just kept getting sidelined.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
As long as I can buy everything that can be bought, I'm ok with that. So what happens to starship traits unlocked by maxing out a current tree ? Also I'm happy I didnt open last weeks FE reward box, now I can get some upgraders instead of a now useless Spec Point :hfive: Aaand since being able to make certain BOff skill books was linked to maxing out some skills, I wonder how that will work.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tuskin38 posted:

Skill System Revamp.

Wow, they're actually dropping this finally? Color me surprised.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

I started reading the forum thread about this, Borticus came in on the 1st page to clarify whatever he could. And I am sad now :( :

Borticus guy posted:

You will get a total of 46 Space Points and 10 Ground Points. There are 90 Space Skill Nodes you can purchase, and 20 Ground Skill Nodes. So no, you won't be able to buy everything.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm 100% convinced this will make tac captains even further above the other two.

Also I'm "looking forward" to everyone putting all their points in the space tac tree.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Skill Revamp posted:

Shield Mastery
  • Purchasing the first rank in this 3-point Skill allows you to automatically negate the damage from one incoming Critical Hit every 20 seconds. Additional investments can be made to also have this negation trigger a Shield Heal and/or Reflect the damage back at the attacker.

Hey its been three years and they kinda sorta fixed the gozer torp phenomenon. Progress, right?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

MREBoy posted:

As long as I can buy everything that can be bought, I'm ok with that. So what happens to starship traits unlocked by maxing out a current tree ? Also I'm happy I didnt open last weeks FE reward box, now I can get some upgraders instead of a now useless Spec Point :hfive: Aaand since being able to make certain BOff skill books was linked to maxing out some skills, I wonder how that will work.

This is unrelated to spec points.

These skills are level 5-50. Spec points are 50+

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 18, 2016

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Preechr posted:

Last night was magical for Rooster.

Rooster posted:

[2/17 10:55] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: i been to penatanguishine

[2/17 10:56] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: domestic

[2/17 10:56] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: didn't do poo poo

[2/17 10:56] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: liars everywhere

[2/17 10:57] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: 3 fuckin months in that poo poo hole

[2/17 10:57] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: because i contested in court

[2/17 10:57] [Local] Vulture@rooster241: to the charges

Penetanguishene

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I'm 100% convinced this will make tac captains even further above the other two.

Also I'm "looking forward" to everyone putting all their points in the space tac tree.

quote:

In the end, the list of Skills that ended up on the cutting room floor is extremely short:

Attack Patterns:
All abilities that previously benefited from this Skill have been re-balanced to behave as if the player had fully invested in the old Attack Patterns skill.

quote:

Items that grant Attack Patterns will be translated to granting one of the new Skills. Probably either Weapon Penetration or Long-Range Targeting.

So... hmm...

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 18, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I wonder how badly it'll gently caress up stats on equipment and what percentage of my stuff with either turn into something else completely or just disappear when the changes go live.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 18, 2016

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

MREBoy posted:

You'll still need spec points I think? Unless you meant you'd maxed all the specializations, in which case disregard.

That does remind me though, any hints at new specializations, secondary or primary, lately?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah I'm dumb, I had Spec trees on the brain for some reason :downs: . I wonder what Admiral rank stuff will be like.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Last time I played this game was around when romulans came out, and I had a klingon romulan.

How have things turned out for them?

I remember the big fear when romulans first came out was that there would never be top tier support for romulan ships.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

wdarkk posted:

As long as tac captains have multiple large damage boosts they can stack, anything that boosts player damage is inherently a proportionately larger boost to tac captains.

I'm eagerly looking forward to Cryptic fixing science and engineering captains sometime around 2045. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So long as my Tac Captain can still get particle generators, control and gravimetric whatever, I'll be happy.

• Locked thread