Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Stormgale posted:

Hmnn that sounds plausible but familiar Glynda, Release my pain inhibitors!

I was thinking more like Big Jaunne/Venom Jaunne. "Not for honor[...] only for revenge."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I was thinking more like Big Jaunne/Venom Jaunne. "Not for honor[...] only for revenge."

In that scenario Wouldn't Jaune be Master Miller, They played us like a drat fiddle

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'm calling decent odds that the next season will have a scene where Jean has a heart to heart with Pyrrha's ghost (because magic) where he admits he still hasn't gotten over it, is going on the mission for revenge, etc.

Not a lot of basis for stuff like that yet. But heck, it's fun.
Here's mine: Jaune is really a wizard/has a crazy powerful semblance befitting the whole 'you have a lot of Aura' bit from season 1.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally suspect the thing about silver eyes is, they mark descendants of the wizard, Ruby's power is huge and white because she's actually inherited the full Wizard magic instead of one quarter like the Maidens were gifted. Ozpin is probably not the Wizard he's just very old, which would fit him being the Wizard of Oz character who is not really a Wizard even though he looks it. Also I like the theory that Salem is the original Winter Maiden gone bad from the loss of her three sisters to selfish humans, thus destroy all the humans is her motivation.

I think Jaune's Semblance is going to end up being a perfect reflective defense by the way. You hit him and take damage instead, if true we've actually seen at least part of it in the first season as when Cardin goes to hit Jaune's at one point something Cardin clearly isn't expecting occurs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well just saw the finale. Legit annoyed that they only had like one butt rock song this season, what the hell rooster teeth?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monaghan posted:

well just saw the finale. Legit annoyed that they only had like one butt rock song this season, what the hell rooster teeth?

And only in like the first episode! It's loving bullshit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is the awful humor in the first two episodes indicative of what the rest of the show is going to be like, or does it mellow out a bit in that regard?

I haven't been able to handle THE CAKE IS A LIE XD humor since middle school.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It chills out after a bit on that stuff and Rwby's dorkiness settles into a more earnest kind of dork than some internet meme poo poo

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baal posted:

It chills out after a bit on that stuff and Rwby's dorkiness settles into a more earnest kind of dork than some internet meme poo poo

Yeah, the first one or two episodes are still heavily in the "Anime does it so we have to do it as well" territory. It's mostly gone by the end of the season. By the third season the show really found its own style. But then again the third season had like three or four jokes total.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And the guy voiced by Ed got pretty much all of them just for being the only self-aware person in the show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There was the episode when everyone fought some memes. which I think was supposed to be like half of a joke.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There was the episode when everyone fought some memes. which I think was supposed to be like half of a joke.

Was that the one with the girl that poo poo rainbows? I can't remember. It wasn't funny.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ArchangeI posted:

It wasn't funny.

The show's humor in a nutshell.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

She was Nyan cat, he was trombone skeleton.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Neon Katt loving owned even though she was a meme

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like this entire season has been pretty lovely and scatterbrained but when Trombone Man and Neon Katt show up it reminds me of why I like Rwby

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

The show's humor in a nutshell.

Eh, the corners of my mouth twitched briefly during the first episode when Weiss credit card was rejected. It was briefly funny, in the same way watching someone get hit by a pie is funny.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Regalingualius posted:

She was Nyan cat, he was trombone skeleton.

He was also based on an in joke from the Achievement Hunter videos.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not sorry for finding "Oh my god, you really exploded" funny.

Also I have good money on Blake and a bunch of Beacon stranglers forming a counter-terrorist group called "Oz" to fight White Fang because dammit if we just don't have enough Gundam Wing references in this show already.

Hell, Ironwood is bascaily King Peacecraft minus the beard (Which is to say DACU Superman)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 18, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The GIG posted:

He was also based on an in joke from the Achievement Hunter videos.

What joke?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
As long as we can get Campbell Lane doing the narration... oh now I made myself sad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ruby does settle down into earnest dork territory after the first few episodes. From then on the humor is a lot more natural.

I am not ashamed that I laughed quite a bit when Jaune went through with his promise in Dance Dance Infiltration. :colbert:

Baal posted:

Like this entire season has been pretty lovely and scatterbrained but when Trombone Man and Neon Katt show up it reminds me of why I like Rwby

It was a clever reference. Didn't know Trombone man was a Meme reference though (have managed not to experience Trombone Skeleton meme) but Neon Katt I got.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Covok posted:

What joke?

A bit back in their Minecraft series whenever someone would mention flint, someone would respond with "Coal?" and from there they just made up the idea of a guy named Fl(i/y)nt Coal who I think is also in their other cartoon series.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay whatever reservations I had about this show through season one were blown completely away by the first episode of season 2.

Hi-def martial arts food fight :swoon:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 19, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Okay whatever reservations I had about this show through season one were blown completely away by the first episode of season 2.

Hi-def martial arts food fight :swoon:

Enjoy it, the rest of the season is so much worse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, the only other highlight of the season is that one joke from the coffee guy ("And now they've seen us").

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 19, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just a reminder that the worst things that happen at the end of S2 are undone with a literal handwave.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well, except for the deaths of an not insignificant portion of White Fang, which probably lead to Adam and, well, yeah. :smith:

So glad they took that Glinda the Good Witch nonsense to task in the third season end cap. Though that might have been their plan from the off.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 19, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Just a reminder that the worst things that happen at the end of S2 are undone with a literal handwave.

I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't intentional just to suckerpunch the fandom with the second half of season three.

"Look guys, nothing is going to happen, this is RWBY we're talking about"

*Literally all of the things happen*

But then again, that would require a level of competence at odds with the rest of the show (although seriously, the second half of season three is approaching genuinely good writing).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really bad writing to make a super terrible season just so the next season can surprise people with actual consequences. So I wouldn't put it past them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I dunno it seemed like everything was very deliberately set up so the Grim invasion was a fakeout to give the military more control or something. It made sense at least, I haven't started Season 3 yet though.

I have to say that the... plot, as it were, is marginally less mediocre than the rest of the show, for what that's worth. And it has its genuinely entertaining moments, so it's worth watching. Voice acting and dialogue aren't great still, and oh god whoever does the vocals for the music is terrible, but I'm not disliking it as a whole.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ArchangeI posted:

I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't intentional just to suckerpunch the fandom with the second half of season three.

"Look guys, nothing is going to happen, this is RWBY we're talking about"

*Literally all of the things happen*

But then again, that would require a level of competence at odds with the rest of the show (although seriously, the second half of season three is approaching genuinely good writing).
It was intentional but more of a 'Here's something REALLY BIG going down, things are gon- oh wait in comes the cavalry and look how badass they are this ain't nothing.'
Followed up by a 'ok you remember how last time was a pretty big deal that was handled effortlessly? Welcome to the real D-Day.'

This series of events isn't new, it's a common arc in a bunch of anime.

The writing's fine it's the format and execution that's lacking/weird.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't know why Cortana is evil now or why Church isn't a ghost but I'm okay with this.

e: Did Qrow just turn into a literal crow!? This really should be obvious and not a surprise and yet here we are.

e2: EponymousMrYar what are your thoughts about the destiny thing, why do you think it fits her character? The only thing I can think of is because she's a reference to Achilles.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 20, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
No he turned into a Qrow.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

e2: EponymousMrYar what are your thoughts about the destiny thing, why do you think it fits her character? The only thing I can think of is because she's a reference to Achilles.
It's a question she's been struggling with and destiny has a bunch of metaphors. The main thing is that by phrasing the question to Cinder, Pyrra states she chose to fight (and potentially die by) her.

Pyrra's character is dominated by two things: her being placed on a pedestal for her abilities and her lack of objection to this. Everyone envisions great things for her because she does great things and is 'perfect' in every way. To which she doesn't seem to have any objection to and in fact tries to live up to it by using her semblance subtly and helping Jaune despite him being way out of his depth.

So much so that she gets approached by the secret council to inherit a power that could change her very identity (among other side effects.) For the first time her position on her pedestal actively threatens her sense of self. Does she become the paragon of what others think of her at the cost of being herself?
(Jaune tries to help but lack of information makes it worse as it always does.)

Then she 'kills' Penny. Faced with her first certain defeat she panics, lashes out and it turns out that she's not as perfect as everyone (including herself, being an Achilles reference she of course buys into her own built-up image) thinks. Plus everyone sees it. Mob pressure doesn't help at all.
GO TIME happens and in the face of the apocalypse she chooses. But of course it's too late, so now she's thinking 'if only I had chosen sooner.' Now the choice becomes 'do I escape to fight again' or 'do I go up there and try to stop Cinder at the cost of myself?'
Turns out Jaune's advice was pretty spot on, she didn't back down and barely even hesitated at that one.

She chose the latter, fulfilling her 'destiny' of being worthy of her pedestal. Like a hero.

Which unfortunately quite often comes with the caveat of dying in pursuit of their goals, becoming heroes in retrospect rather than in life.

Or in summary, she's idolized as a hero and chooses to be one, (via martyrdom.)

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The latest episode is up on YouTube. Time for another synchtube?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I want nothing more than for Cinder to show up wearing Pyrrha's crown thing next season because it will absolutely crush the souls of half the people I know who watch this.

I for real enjoyed most of S3 despite most of the plot points being predictable a couple episodes in advance. The writing got good, the fight scenes got better, and the way Roman went out was so goddamn perfect. I hope they keep it up, it seems like the darker tonal shift moved everything away from the worst aspects of the show.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a question she's been struggling with and destiny has a bunch of metaphors. The main thing is that by phrasing the question to Cinder, Pyrra states she chose to fight (and potentially die by) her.

Pyrra's character is dominated by two things: her being placed on a pedestal for her abilities and her lack of objection to this. Everyone envisions great things for her because she does great things and is 'perfect' in every way. To which she doesn't seem to have any objection to and in fact tries to live up to it by using her semblance subtly and helping Jaune despite him being way out of his depth.

So much so that she gets approached by the secret council to inherit a power that could change her very identity (among other side effects.) For the first time her position on her pedestal actively threatens her sense of self. Does she become the paragon of what others think of her at the cost of being herself?
(Jaune tries to help but lack of information makes it worse as it always does.)

Then she 'kills' Penny. Faced with her first certain defeat she panics, lashes out and it turns out that she's not as perfect as everyone (including herself, being an Achilles reference she of course buys into her own built-up image) thinks. Plus everyone sees it. Mob pressure doesn't help at all.
GO TIME happens and in the face of the apocalypse she chooses. But of course it's too late, so now she's thinking 'if only I had chosen sooner.' Now the choice becomes 'do I escape to fight again' or 'do I go up there and try to stop Cinder at the cost of myself?'
Turns out Jaune's advice was pretty spot on, she didn't back down and barely even hesitated at that one.

She chose the latter, fulfilling her 'destiny' of being worthy of her pedestal. Like a hero.

Which unfortunately quite often comes with the caveat of dying in pursuit of their goals, becoming heroes in retrospect rather than in life.

Or in summary, she's idolized as a hero and chooses to be one, (via martyrdom.)

I keep telling people to stop putting more thought into this show than the writers did.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pavlov posted:

I keep telling people to stop putting more thought into this show than the writers did.
Writing is a dialogue. The other side of that phrase is 'the Audience determines how much they're going to get out of it.'
Whether that's less or more effort than the author is ultimately up to personal preference.

The Shortest Path posted:

I for real enjoyed most of S3 despite most of the plot points being predictable a couple episodes in advance. The writing got good, the fight scenes got better, and the way Roman went out was so goddamn perfect. I hope they keep it up, it seems like the darker tonal shift moved everything away from the worst aspects of the show.
Following typical conventions there's going to be a period of lighter stuff to contrast the downer in order to show that 'there's still hope, not everything is irreparably messed up, life goes on' etc.

How light they go and how many 'dark' reminders they put in will mark how much they maintain the quality of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Writing is a dialogue. The other side of that phrase is 'the Audience determines how much they're going to get out of it.'
Whether that's less or more effort than the author is ultimately up to personal preference.

you should watch madoka, then post in the madoka thread

• Locked thread