Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
hmmm guys this "The Pope" character seems like a reallllll Liberal

Now y'know who stands for traditional conservative values and definitely is not a golden golem animated by some kind of perverse vision of the american dream? That's right Donald J. Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

If your friend is freaking about the Pope now, he was probably never a Catholic to begin with.

Hope he enjoys the dark world that is sedevacantism. :byewhore:

Oh I really doubt he ever really was one. Guys a racist as gently caress EX-NYPD detective who loving loves Trump cause of how much of a bully rear end in a top hat he is.

Living on Staten Island is akin to a circle of hell

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He could pick an antipope. We have, what, five right now?

Yeah, but they're all Hispanic, Canadian, or from Kansas, and who wants to listen to a guy in Wichita?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

I humbly submit the hottest take I've ever seen.
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/700416524092223488

The funny part is that he's trying to stay relevant by trolling Twitter because he doesn't have any credibility as a serious pundit. He probably really hates himself.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

huh, so an african american woman won't be protected by the police in a public space because they refuse to protect people with her skin color for political reasons

sounds like she could use the assistance of a private organization dedicated to providing public order and protection in situations where police racism interferes with their duties

i wonder who could do such a thing :ironicat:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

FetusSlapper posted:

All that said, I can see how whacking the snot out of little balls with a heavy club might be appealing as a stress release for presidents. Playing pick-up basketball with your secret service agents and west wing nerds probably loses its appeal after you start blatantly fouling people and not getting called on it. Not that it happened, but from that scene from the West Wing I'd assume its tough playing team sports as the President.

Golfchat ended, but Obama is apparently dirty and rough as gently caress at basketball. Though he's realized he's getting old and that people are just tolerating him loving things up on the court.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
What is most hilarious is that the Papacy is probably the most small-c conservative institution in the entire world. Its only competitor for "oldest extant institution in the world" is the Imperial House of Japan, so it's definitely operating in ancient institution bound by literally millennia of tradition territory here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Politicians are not happy with Apple stonewalling. There are increasing rumblings that this may be the final straw needed to get anti-encryption legislation going.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ugh, I really do not look forward to getting disappointed by Democrats on this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Unzip and Attack posted:

The funny part is that he's trying to stay relevant by trolling Twitter because he doesn't have any credibility as a serious pundit. He probably really hates himself.

For someone with zero credibility, he sure is on TV a lot.

We need a series of interviews with people like Cokie Roberts and Donna Brazille, I want to know what it's like to be on panels with Kristol week after week. Do they have to pretend that he's arguing in good faith? Is he just a blithering idiot and they don't want to hurt his feelings? What's really going on under Stephanopoulos' table?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

Look at the party identification of the guy who's discussed in the article.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Whats it like to live in a country with sane and competent leaders?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His Purple Majesty posted:

No one living knows.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Actually, Canada may have just chosen one as their Prime Minister (though I'm not holding my breath).

Massasoit posted:

What if all cops are racist

If they weren't racist, they wouldn't deliberately choose a career path all about cracking minority skulls to make upper class suburban and rural whites feel safe.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

zoux posted:

No one living knows.

I think Scandinavian countries had sane and competent leaders. And then the refugee problem happened and racism hit the fan and apparently a neo-nazi party is on the rise.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/09/congress-expresses-serious-concern-over-new-overtime-rules/

http://tucson.com/ap/business/milli...f3a96c391b.html

Obama's proposed changes to DOL overtime rules is bubbling back up again as his time in office draw closer to an end. (DC link to provide dissenting perspective)

DOL is planning on getting the rules in place by the middle of May now, if they don't then Congress will get the chance to overturn them after Obama is out of office. The arguments against are exactly what you'd expect; the costs will be passed onto consumers, companies will have to make workers part-time and reduce hours, etc. Basically a bunch of whining because they don't want to pay their employees for the work they're doing and aren't about to take anything from their profits to offset the new rules.

I had heard that this would also increase the number of subordinates a manager must have from three to five or six, but I'm not sure if that's still in there. All I've seen mentioned is the salary threshold being doubled (which is really awesome and will help a bunch of people).

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think Scandinavian countries had sane and competent leaders. And then the refugee problem happened and racism hit the fan and apparently a neo-nazi party is on the rise.

White people really just can't handle the idea that people darker than them might also benefit from social programs that they do as well

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Look at the party identification of the guy who's discussed in the article.

Several other Democrats have not been good on this, for example, Diane Feinstein and Hillary Clinton. Basically, they are banking on the newness and lack of understanding around encryption to suggest something akin to requiring all locks to be able to be opened by police skeleton keys, all phones to be tappable, and all mail to be openable on request.

There is a serious problem with support of 4th amendment rights within both parties, and when not ranting about the Fed or International Reptilian Bankers, it's something Libertarians are very cogent on.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

His Purple Majesty posted:

Ask the Romans living between 161-180 AD, I guess. Because unless we reanimate the corpse of Marcus Aurelius and put him in charge or build a perfect philosopher king robot to rule us, that might be the closest we get.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/09/congress-expresses-serious-concern-over-new-overtime-rules/

http://tucson.com/ap/business/milli...f3a96c391b.html

Obama's proposed changes to DOL overtime rules is bubbling back up again as his time in office draw closer to an end. (DC link to provide dissenting perspective)

DOL is planning on getting the rules in place by the middle of May now, if they don't then Congress will get the chance to overturn them after Obama is out of office. The arguments against are exactly what you'd expect; the costs will be passed onto consumers, companies will have to make workers part-time and reduce hours, etc. Basically a bunch of whining because they don't want to pay their employees for the work they're doing and aren't about to take anything from their profits to offset the new rules.

I had heard that this would also increase the number of subordinates a manager must have from three to five or six, but I'm not sure if that's still in there. All I've seen mentioned is the salary threshold being doubled (which is really awesome and will help a bunch of people).

This is really good and long overdue. And it is another reason why Obama is an awesome president: Doing what small things he can to really help people.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Trabisnikof posted:

Feinstein has been in the tank vs 4th amendment protections since I can remember. I'm not surprised other Ds feel the same way. For as much as I hate the NRA and the gun lobbies, you have to admire their ability to keep there 2nd amendment sacrosanct. I wish the 4th amendment was as well protected.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quorum posted:

What is most hilarious is that the Papacy is probably the most small-c conservative institution in the entire world. Its only competitor for "oldest extant institution in the world" is the Imperial House of Japan, so it's definitely operating in ancient institution bound by literally millennia of tradition territory here.

I am almost certain there is a Hindu monastic order out there that can give a run for the money, but I don't actually know which. I know there are a few that easily break 1k years so we are halfway there!

Comedy option: Zoroastrian churches in Iran and Azerbaijan. Or Taiwan, inheritor of the Mandate of Heaven. :china:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Akumu posted:

It doesn't make any sense to me, since the whole point of a bearer whatever is you have to bear it. It is the physical object itself which gives you claim, not any immaterial information that it represents, as in the case where all parties are specified.

And a copy of it is enough. None of this was helped by having Congresspeople yelling about 'wet ink' documents back during the financial crash, despite them being wrong.

That being said, it's entirely possible for people to get free houses by banks straight up forgetting about suing, but the banks are pretty much always having the law on their side despite all the nonsense about MERS and the documents getting shuffled around, shredded, etc.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jesus. He's even wrong about having opinions.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

foobardog posted:

There is a serious problem with support of 4th amendment rights within both parties, and when not ranting about the Fed or International Reptilian Bankers, it's something Libertarians are very cogent on.

No it isn't; the 4th Amendment doesn't protect against all searches.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Macys posted:

If they weren't racist, they wouldn't deliberately choose a career path all about cracking minority skulls to make upper class suburban and rural whites feel safe.

Reminds me of this:

http://youtu.be/DPHQtV-heso

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
To be fair, the 4th doesn't protect against decrypting THIS phone. For one, they're dead, but also they weren't citizens.

However, developing the tools to assist the FBI is a precedent that isn't easily reverted and will lead to significantly weaker 4th amdt protections for US citizens.

I'm not sure who will win the fight but I'm glad Apple is waging it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

climboutonalimb posted:

Feinstein has been in the tank vs 4th amendment protections since I can remember. I'm not surprised other Ds feel the same way. For as much as I hate the NRA and the gun lobbies, you have to admire their ability to keep there 2nd amendment sacrosanct. I wish the 4th amendment was as well protected.

If you want to inspire a hardcore cadre like the NRA that will always get out the vote you'd have to start by avoiding dumb poo poo like "Well I don't see why you need X, furthermore dead people and reasonable regulations" but then you wouldn't be a progressive anymore.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Encryption isn't really a constitutional rights thing, it's just a stupid policy thing.

You either have functional encryption or you have encryption a governmental third party can break at will, you can't have both

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

If you want to inspire a hardcore cadre like the NRA that will always get out the vote you'd have to start by avoiding dumb poo poo like "Well I don't see why you need X, furthermore dead people and reasonable regulations" but then you wouldn't be a progressive anymore.

Ah yes the "actually Democrats need only embrace gun rights to" meme...

Just because some people post in a forum for idiots "Heck I'd vote fer democrats except fer their gun laws", doesn't mean that Democrats broadly support abandoning gun control.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
judging by the care and competence put into protecting the personal information of federal employees its pretty clear we've already decided on the latter :tem:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Wasn't the debate over providing encryption keys/passwords that it is a 4th versus 5th amendment debate? This discussion centers mostly around providing encryption keys, specifically. My understanding is that given how encryption works, the defendant is producing evidence against themselves by providing a key to encryption. The ones-and-zeros contained in the storage medium only becomes evidence once passed through the encryption algorithm, up until that point it is meaningless static. The defendant isn't hiding anything from the investigators, instead they are being asked to render evidence against themselves by arranging the static into evidence itself.

That's my basic understanding of the issue and I think it's a fascinating thought experiment. This isn't necessarily a safe with evidence within it where the defendant is declining to provide access despite probable cause. Rather, it's billions of grains of sand that when arranged in a certain way can provide proof against someone. Hopefully we have some better versed legal goons who can help comment?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

UberJew posted:

Encryption isn't really a constitutional rights thing, it's just a stupid policy thing.

You either have functional encryption or you have encryption a governmental third party can break at will, you can't have both

Also: lots of non-governmental third parties

e:

zoux posted:

Just because some people post in a forum for idiots "Heck I'd vote fer democrats except fer their gun laws", doesn't mean that Democrats broadly support abandoning gun control.
How the gently caress did you get that from that post? It had literally nothing to do with Democrats changing their positions on gun rights.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

19 o'clock posted:

Wasn't the debate over providing encryption keys/passwords that it is a 4th versus 5th amendment debate? This discussion centers mostly around providing encryption keys, specifically. My understanding is that given how encryption works, the defendant is producing evidence against themselves by providing a key to encryption. The ones-and-zeros contained in the storage medium only becomes evidence once passed through the encryption algorithm, up until that point it is meaningless static. The defendant isn't hiding anything from the investigators, instead they are being asked to render evidence against themselves by arranging the static into evidence itself.

That's my basic understanding of the issue and I think it's a fascinating thought experiment. This isn't necessarily a safe with evidence within it where the defendant is declining to provide access despite probable cause. Rather, it's billions of grains of sand that when arranged in a certain way can provide proof against someone. Hopefully we have some better versed legal goons who can help comment?

the iphone case isn't about compelling provision of encryption keys, but forcing the software developer to intentionally sabotage their encryption implementation so that the government can break it

LGD posted:

Also: lots of non-governmental third parties

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

climboutonalimb posted:

Just a reminder that Feinstein was perfectly a ok with government spying until the CIA spied on her committee

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just a reminder that Feinstein was perfectly a ok with government spying until the CIA spied on her committee

Yeah yeah, she's the worst.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

UberJew posted:

the iphone case isn't about compelling provision of encryption keys, but forcing the software developer to intentionally sabotage their encryption implementation so that the government can break it

I guess I get a little spooked when they conflate passwords with encryption. I definitely see that they are looking for better ways to brute force it. I hope they don't gently caress this up and outlaw "encryption without providing access to law enforcement."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really loving hate Feinstein being one of my senators. Boxer is way better and I'm sad she's the one retiring first.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UberJew posted:

Nobody is even talking about how the FBI is asking apple to develop a new capability from scratch which must work the first time without failure. This is a significant development effort that will require major resources from Apple. Do you think the FBI is going to pay for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

zoux posted:

Great. Lots of those same Democrats broadly get mad when the exact same JUST ONE LIFE logic is applied to something they like and it's really really funny.

• Locked thread