Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Theris posted:

If it wasn't for high likelihood of his efforts wiping the phone or otherwise contaminating evidence, I'd like to see him try. If only because I'm super curious as to how one uses social engineering on a dead couple.

Probably something like necromancy and bullets dipped in pigs blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SubponticatePoster posted:

Incorrect. Golf owns if:

You either rented the clubs or didn't pay more than $50 for the set (bonus if they're completely the wrong size for you)
You've never taken a lesson and you play like the old couple in Caddyshack
You're drunk
Yeah I only golf when my dad is going to golf with his friends, last year I even participated in their annual Open and our group won the pink lady contest (basically we all shared this one pink ball and had to make sure we didn't lose it and had the lowest score)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/700368610322206720

America.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not enough to justify the ecological waste and inherent wealth inequality.

To the guillotines with ye! :black101:

I'd be fine with replacing the greens with turf or local vegetation for ecological reasons. Just make it a park, put up an area to keep kids from walking on the fairway, make it free or cheap.

Alternatively, nationalize all clubs, keep fees low, ban private clubs.

Golf is all about hitting white things into a little hole so you can bask in nature. Just let the ball represent capitalism and white supremacy.

The point, comrade, is not to destroy golf itself, but to share its blessings with the people. We must form a dictatorship of the gophers!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Theris posted:

If it wasn't for high likelihood of his efforts wiping the phone or otherwise contaminating evidence, I'd like to see him try. If only because I'm super curious as to how one uses social engineering on a dead couple.

You string them up like a marionette or use cats to move them around like in Rick and Morty to see if people can't tell the difference.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Savage.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Lol if people realize the Pope is one of the last absolute monarchs left, and begin expelling Catholics from the party for being filthy papists.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

UV_Catastrophe posted:

It's almost like our constitution has some pretty serious bugs and defects, and the only reason we haven't had a greater number of constitutional crises in our history is sheer, dumb luck.

I made a joke a few weeks back about the US being a Bethesda game (Fallout 4 to be precise) and I'm more and more convinced it was to on the nose

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/700368207404789760

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Please declare a Crusade against the GOP Pope Francis, I have nothing better to do on my off time and it would be cool to learn how to make Teutonic Order plate armor with the funny helmets

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

foobardog posted:

I'd be fine with replacing the greens with turf or local vegetation for ecological reasons. Just make it a park, put up an area to keep kids from walking on the fairway, make it free or cheap.

Golf is all about hitting white things into a little hole so you can bask in nature. Just let the ball represent capitalism and white supremacy.

The point, comrade, is not to destroy golf itself, but to share its blessings with the people. We must form a dictatorship of the gophers!

The two biggest wastes of public water are golf courses and cemeteries.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chokes McGee posted:

John McAffee can't make AV software that isn't poo poo, I'm somehow unconcerned about that psychopath's credentials.

yeah it was purely posted for joke purposes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We may not have been wholly fair to Jeb if it turns out that Trump can even own the Pope on twitter.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

UV_Catastrophe posted:

It's almost like our constitution has some pretty serious bugs and defects, and the only reason we haven't had a greater number of constitutional crises in our history is sheer, dumb luck.

I think it's sheer dumb stubbornness and the ability for the basic tenets of gently caress workers and gently caress black people to never be discarded.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

foobardog posted:

Yeah this.

99% of the problem with golf is that private clubs exist as a barrier so that the vast majority of people can never really enjoy the game since even public courses can overcharge since they're still cheaper.

The other 1% is that your skills as a kart wheel man are not factored into your final score.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zoux posted:

We may not have been wholly fair to Jeb if it turns out that Trump can even own the Pope on twitter.

Jeb was the first victim in a horror movie where they were doing something insanely retarded so we don't realize just how much the monster can gently caress people up yet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Theris posted:

Magic mushroom pill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Pope's entire thing is still "Hey fuckers quit being dicks to each other" right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DemeaninDemon posted:

The Pope's entire thing is still "Hey fuckers quit being dicks to each other" right?

That's anti-Republican thinking, friend!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah and that poo poo INFRINGES ON MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The second part of that headline is way more important but, will likely not be covered as much as the first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/700374160686477312

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

weekly font posted:

Hell yeah. If you're not treating golf like it's the outdoor equivalent of going bowling, you're doing it very wrong.

Golf on TV is for stroke recovery patients who like soothing vocal tones and nice green colors.

Actually playing golf seems like a societal cover charge for being drunk in public and puttering around in golf carts.

People who take golf seriously enough to get angry and shout at people about it need to be removed from the gene pool.

Put-Put or miniature golf is for killing time, dates, and getting your mom to drop you off there with 20$ that you will instead spend on go-carts and pinball.

Golf movies, for some reason, are almost always pretty good. Even Tin Cup. Can't explain that.

All that said, I can see how whacking the snot out of little balls with a heavy club might be appealing as a stress release for presidents. Playing pick-up basketball with your secret service agents and west wing nerds probably loses its appeal after you start blatantly fouling people and not getting called on it. Not that it happened, but from that scene from the West Wing I'd assume its tough playing team sports as the President.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well he did just have a joint statement with the Russian Patriarch condemning gay marriage

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Amazing comments from a Pope who sleeps every night in a building THAT HAS WALLS.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm so excited for this election cycle to be over

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

KomradeX posted:

Well he did just have a joint statement with the Russian Patriarch condemning gay marriage

Oh good at least he's still part of a backwards, idiotic religion that moves slower than Congress.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Poonerman posted:

I'm so excited for this election cycle to be over

Just think--you'll get a whole six months of silence before the next one starts! :v:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

PFTCOMMENTER is the best person on twitter.

FetusSlapper posted:

Actually playing golf seems like a societal cover charge for being drunk in public and puttering around in golf

You've been spraying the ball left, right, and missing every putt. But just once you pull out a seven iron and put the ball 5 inches from the pin and it's the coolest God drat feeling ever. Then you get to the next tee, buy a beer from the drink cart and put your next drive into a pond and who the gently caress cares did you see that shot I had?!?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rubber Tucky posted:

Amazing comments from a Pope who sleeps every night in a building THAT HAS WALLS.

Feh! Next, he'll be saying he has a REFRIGERATOR with FOOD in it!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

He also hinted that Catholic lawmakers should feel free to vote for same-sex marriage and civil unions as long as it fell within the restraints of their “well-formed conscience.” So, lots of cool new things from the Pope today.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Gosh, I sure hope the old "Pope Is Mind-Controlling Catholics" meme doesn't reappear en masse just in time for election season. :catholic:

EDIT: I mean the old canard that Catholics will obey the Pope over the President but the suggestion that the Pope literally mind-controls Catholics would also work :shrug:

It's the hat, and it doesn't work on every Catholic. Only bishop's mitres have the little receivers in them. Ever noticed that this pope doesn't wear the mitre, and coincidentally he's facing severe pushback from... THE BISHOPS???

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

OxySnake posted:

You've been spraying the ball left, right, and missing every putt. But just once you pull out a seven iron and put the ball 5 inches from the pin and it's the coolest God drat feeling ever. Then you get to the next tee, buy a beer from the drink cart and put your next drive into a pond and who the gently caress cares did you see that shot I had?!?

I birdie'd on a short 3 par at a serious course with my friends and I have never played since because I realized I hit my peak

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Holy gently caress (...:haw:).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

He's clearly trying to go as left as possible without the rest of the Church literally killing him in his sleep. I can live with the Church being anti-abortion as along as they aren't also anti-contraception.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

EDIT: Double post.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pixelboy posted:

I'm sure there may be very nice people there, but at this point our only option may be to fence this cesspool off - nobody in or out. Let them die off and start again.

Hey, I'm stuck living here!

I support your fencing plan if paired with a program to help me emigrate from SC to a sane country, like England or New Zealand

Unfortunately just admitting the American Revolution was a mistake doesn't qualify you for British citizenship

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Apparently a bunch of YMCAs in Detroit were making middle-school kids perform mock slave auctions, for over twenty years.

quote:

At night during the camp, according to two African-American parents, their children were made to act as slaves on the auction block while some teachers and camp instructors acted as slave masters, chasing them on real horsebacks.

The activity, called “Underground Railroad,” is dubbed by the YMCA as an educational experience. But for parent Tiffany Birchett, the slavery re-enactment last year traumatized her 10-year-old daughter, Makayla Birchett. The mother’s complaint reached the doors of the ACLU of Michigan this year, which wasted no time in forcing the YMCA to immediately halt the activity.

Birchett said she sent an email to the school principal, William J. Murphy, on Dec. 11 detailing her daughter’s “racially insensitive experience” at the camp and that the child had since been “displaying bouts of sadness.”

She said in her email that “the slave masters (camp instructors and teachers) had certificates which allowed them to pay for the slaves, and the students were required to hold up the certificates when they were bought or sold.”

The email also noted: “As the mother of an African American son and daughter, I am dismayed that Pardee Elementary would authorize and condone such an extremely racially insensitive and damaging activity.”

Murphy, the principal, responded by underscoring the value of the Underground Railroad experience, stating: “As of this response, not one student has expressed to us that they felt that way about the UGRR (Underground Railroad activity).”

He also said, “As part of being in character, students/staff are reminded not to look any of the UGRR characters in the eyes while interacting with them. At that time in history it was considered ‘disrespectful’ to do so.”

Murphy forwarded Birchett’s concerns to Nancy Burger, director of Outdoor Environmental Education for the YMCA Storer Camps, who responded to the principal denying Birchett’s claims.

“In the evaluations at the end of the week, 54 of the students said that it was their favorite evening program, which is impressive as it shows the students truly learned something from the experience,” Burger told Murphy. When contacted by this writer and asked to explain the metrics of the evaluation and the racial makeup of the students, she declined to speak on the matter.

During an interview with Birchett, another parent, Regina Crutchfield, came forward to say her daughter Brooklyn Jones, a fifth-grader at Jane Addams Elementary in Redford, had gone through a similar experience in November at the Y’s Storer Camp.

“My daughter said she was scared. One of the guys (camp instructors) re-enacted killing a deputy. They should not do that in front of a 10-year-old, and not when kids are hundreds of miles away from home,” Crutchfield said. “If they want to teach black history, they should do that in the classroom.”

Mark Fancher, staff attorney for the Michigan ACLU Racial Justice Project, wrote a letter on Feb. 4 to Kevin Washington, president and CEO of the YMCA USA, demanding a halt to the program. Washington is an African-American.

“Not only is the Underground Railroad activity emotionally and intellectually harmful,” Fancher wrote, “it also creates a racially hostile environment that has legal implications both for the camp in its role as an educational institution or agent of an educational institution, and for the schools that send their students to the camp facility.”

The same day the ACLU letter was dispatched, Brad Toft, the president of the YMCA of Greater Toledo, which operates the YMCA Storer Camps, called Fancher to tell him they were ending the Underground Railroad project.

Rob Thomas, communication director for the YMCA of Greater Toledo, said the program had been in effect for 20 years and is held several times during the year. About 40 school districts, private and public, have participated in the camps, he said.

While denying a request for an interview, Thomas said: “The program was discontinued when we were recently informed of a child who felt unsafe during the experience.”

Fancher praised the decision to end the program.

“We applaud the YMCA’s mature and responsible decision to terminate the Underground Railroad activity. The activity presented a risk of trauma for children who identify with their enslaved ancestors,” Fancher said. “We encourage further efforts to educate children about slavery but without re-enactments and in consultation with experts.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Well I guess that's one way to teach kids about the horror of slavery but uh yikes

Might want to not do it with kids that young before their tiny minds are a little more familiar with this lovely thing we call Life

• Locked thread