Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

UberJew posted:

right now we are in a uniquely lovely standard for budget decks where even the all in combat tricks and red creatures deck costs like 300 bucks

wait a while and maybe just draft

I was gonna say prowess but then I remembered it runs Jace.... Every other two color list runs 4-10 fetches as well. Holy poo poo this standard.....

I'm so excited for rhino to rotate out, it's an insufferable card to play against. And I'm usually the guy who brews g/b rock decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, B/R dragons is almost good, and is pretty cheap! A lot of the cards in it even survive rotation!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fiend Computer posted:

Hey, B/R dragons is almost good, and is pretty cheap! A lot of the cards in it even survive rotation!

b/r Dragons uses 12 fetches. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

I'm so excited for rhino to rotate out, it's an insufferable card to play against. And I'm usually the guy who brews g/b rock decks.
I hope they reprint rhino in eldritch moon because the howls of anguish will be glorious.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like Khans fetches are something you should have by now if you've been playing a few years. Rare lands have always been the price of entry for Standard.

Right now you see a lot of people not even factoring fetches into the price of decks because they just assume everyone has their playet of khans fetches.

Jace is some bullshit though, specially with a graveyard block coming up. Would suck be just starting right now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rare lands being a price of entry to Standard doesn't somehow make Standard more affordable, that's loving dumb.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

b/r Dragons uses 12 fetches. :colbert:

Yeah I just remembered that. They're mostly there to fuel murderous cuts, so I guess if you cut those it doesn't really need them, but then you lose the inly real hard kill spell the deck runs.

Man I would kill for a doom blade reprint.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The best thing about playing Belcher in modern is you don't play fetches.

The worst thing about playing Belcher is you are playing Belcher.
e: For budget decks though, I still love this one. Cheap-ish and sometimes the other guy doesn't get to play magic.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Forget Budget decks, just play Pauper! Get like 30 $ and have your friends to do the same and have each of you build 2-3 paupe decks and just enjoy yourselves. It's rather unfortunate that combo has been consistently banned out of the format, but beyond that you have great aggro, control, midrange and all kinds of other nutty decks you can play.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

I feel like Khans fetches are something you should have by now if you've been playing a few years. Rare lands have always been the price of entry for Standard.

yeah, but we started on this because somebody was asking about how to get started and hadn't been playing for a few years

i have my fetches but that doesn't help anybody new :shrug:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Pauper, Drafting, Cube and borrowing a friends EDH deck are the best way to enjoy magic cheap. Stay far away from modern/standard.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Buy a bunch of the 10-card repacks from Dollar Tree and have yourself a grand old time of bulk legacy sealed

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I suggest all-proxy constructed if you're playing at home. Print stuff out, cover some random basics, enjoy playing with fun cards while not engaging in the humongous mess that is the magic secondary market.

I also highly recommend draft, which is very fun and also a great way to spend whatever magic budget you have. Split the cost of a box with your friends, and draft a bunch at home. If you don't have enough friends, go to a game store nearby.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Limited is the actual best magic you will ever play. This is because every time you play it you get to play something new/different, even if just marginally so. Proxy up a cube (probably not a super advanced/technical powered list to start) and do that. It's boatloads of fun for everyone involved.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I have no fetches because I used to have no money. The only real paper constructed Magic I care to play is EDH, everything else I can proxy. When should I buy one of each of the Khans fetches?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Just sell your organs, play whatever decks you want.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mezzanon posted:

I was gonna say prowess but then I remembered it runs Jace.... Every other two color list runs 4-10 fetches as well. Holy poo poo this standard.....

Doesn't run Jace, it runs 10 fetchlands to fuel Treasure Cruise.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

I have no fetches because I used to have no money. The only real paper constructed Magic I care to play is EDH, everything else I can proxy. When should I buy one of each of the Khans fetches?

They'll drop slightly in price after rotation but honestly probably not enough to be worth your time to wait if you want the cards to play with this weekend or w/e

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lightning Lord posted:

everything else I can proxy. When should I buy one of each of the Khans fetches?

Before khans stopped being drafted

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The lowest price point for cards is slightly after rotation

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Just sell your organs, play whatever decks you want.

My organs don't sell for enough.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

you take that back she's infinitely more playable than kimahri

Rikku: Mono U
Kimahri: Mono G
Tidus: W/R
Yuna: W/G
Lulu: U/R
Wakka: Mono W
Auron: B/W

:frog:

rabidsquid posted:

The lowest price point for cards is slightly after rotation
I actually think Fetchlands are somewhat unique in that general rule because they're (frequently 4-of) staples in practically every EDH, Legacy and Modern deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 18, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

UberJew posted:

yeah, but we started on this because somebody was asking about how to get started and hadn't been playing for a few years

i have my fetches but that doesn't help anybody new :shrug:

Oh for sure. I'm just saying it's easy to forget to count fetches when looking at standard deck prices when you're an established player.

And fuckin' Jace, jesus christ. Especially with a graveyard set coming. :negative:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually think Fetchlands are somewhat unique in that general rule because they're (frequently 4-of) staples in practically every EDH, Legacy and Modern deck.

I think they'll still drop a bit, standard is really big after all and there are lots of people who don't play constructed except for standard, but I think that bit is going to end up being like, a dollar, maybe two

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
This format is going to have madness too.

inb4 $200 a pop Jace.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Just buy counterfeit fetches for standard

:getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rimusutera posted:

This format is going to have madness too.

inb4 $200 a pop Jace.

Actually, how good are proxy DFCs now? :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Just buy counterfeit fetches for standard

:getin:

Even if it's a lovely joke can we get this borderline :filez: poo poo out of here. You're not cute or novel for suggesting this

quote:

No one cares if your miniatures or other wargaming gear was made by the manufacturer or a helpful third party. However, discussing how great your bootleg figs are and where others can get them is right out. Keep it off our forums.

I mean I know this thread isn't modded but posting pics of your fakes and talking up how they're indistinguishable or whatever seems to run afoul of this so v:shobon:v.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 18, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah but it's not like fetches are gonna go down from where they are now...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My gut tells me, just like with the shocks, people will use the excuse of "welp, I have fetches, might as well see what this 'modern' is all about..." and hang on to them. There may well be more velocity on fetches post-rotation, but they aren't going down at all.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Dumb as gently caress thought experiment: WotC announces a "stock split" and reduces the number of cards in a booster pack while also lowering the price of a booster. Drafts become 4 packs and sealed becomes 8 packs. What should the new rarity distribution be?

For example, if you cut 2 commons and 1 uncommon, and tweak the mythic rate to be 1/10, your sealed pool gains 4 commons, loses 2 uncommons, and gains ~2 rares while keeping the mythic rate approximately the same.

idk why they'd even do something like this, I was just imagining what would happen if draft went up to 4 packs and what would have to happen as a result

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
lol See the history of Rolling Thunder and how it killed the poo poo out of L5R for years.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Shabadu posted:

Pauper, Drafting, Cube and borrowing a friends EDH deck are the best way to enjoy magic cheap. Stay far away from modern/standard.

:agreed:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

lol See the history of Rolling Thunder and how it killed the poo poo out of L5R for years.

I'm fairly confident no one but you knows what this is. Googling it leads to weird results, such as letting me know that rolling thunder was a lion clan technique. Then there's a PDF full of usenet quotes. I'm getting the idea that "rolling thunder" was a term that a WotC-owned L5R used to describe taking all the rarity out of L5R, so each card was basically a common? Which pissed off players for some reason? Also they were purposely short-printing sets so that stores would never have leftovers?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

What is going on? Speculation on a modern madness deck with Innistrad coming?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Planar+Chaos/Big+Game+Hunter#paper

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm fairly confident no one but you knows what this is. Googling it leads to weird results, such as letting me know that rolling thunder was a lion clan technique. Then there's a PDF full of usenet quotes. I'm getting the idea that "rolling thunder" was a term that a WotC-owned L5R used to describe taking all the rarity out of L5R, so each card was basically a common? Which pissed off players for some reason? Also they were purposely short-printing sets so that stores would never have leftovers?
That PDF has pretty much all the relevant info and is a good read.

Basically, they made a few bigass sets, split them up into monthly mini-expansions, and did like 8-card boosters with flattened rarities (like the old magic rarities of Uncommon1/Uncommon3).

Turns out, all of those ideas suck individually and suck even more as a group. And it pretty much crippled everything it touched.

Just like the idea of half-size MtG boosters would do.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish Of Doom posted:

I actually have one of these lying around because I was playing it in Abzan Company.

Hilarious.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Basically they sold way less product when it was easy for people to get what they needed, because as it turns out people who want to play the game are willing to begrudgingly fork over money to play the game while the insane collector people love going after the stupid rare poo poo while on the other hand with flattened rarities both parties buy less product.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Planar Chaos was a weird set and this card is pretty decent against eldrazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quote:

So here's what turns out to be the truth: There is a segment of the population that happens to
overlap quite spectacularly with the segment that enjoys hobby games, that derives an intense
personal feeling of satisfaction from the pursuit of the difficult to acquire. They need it. They
thrive on it. When denied this feature, they seek out other products that deliver that feature.
And something else I learned: To people who don't have that interest and need, the interest
and need seems completely irrational and those who cater to it seem unethical.

• Locked thread