Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

westborn posted:

Depends on your definitions of "foreign", "celebrity" and "recent history". And probably "variety show".

Jackie Chan was a full guest on Running Man and Happy Together in 2013. If you mean 'western' celebrity, nothing of the scale of Jack Black comes to mind, but Hugh Jackman was on Star King, Patrice Evra was in part of an episode of Running Man (both 2013) and Chloë Grace Moretz visited We Got Married last year.

Thierry Henry was on an episode too, he was the one throwing the soccer ball in the flashback clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TEHJOE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_F9HUTYnl0 4MINUTE(포미닛) - 싫어(Hate) MV

Well......

I was gonna say "That is certainly a song" but I'm not entirely sure this classifies as a song.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Jack Black was amazing on it, no surprise given his music background but it's still drat impressive how well he was able to copy songs and lyrics in another language.

I really want a part 2 with him taking the master's course in his house. And it's a bad idea for many reasons, but I would love to see the spectacle of a wide-open urban game. I mean, he's literally worth them packing up the whole show and doing it in America for an episode just to have him on again, though of course I'm viewing it through the lens of "OMG this American's on and he's killing it."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Jack Black was fantastic on IC, and I love that he was so game for everything. One of the best eps in a long time.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

TEHJOE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_F9HUTYnl0 4MINUTE(포미닛) - 싫어(Hate) MV

Well......

Wow this new YG girl group with an incredibly boring standard YG song looks a lot like 4minute

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to gain an appreciation for Korean dance groups.

Mildly :nws:
http://i.imgur.com/cMifiez.gif

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whoever managed to apply that without her flashing the nation is a master of their art. I can only presume it's glued in place.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I liked the first two, what more should I be looking for?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the keith ape song is like 100% aped (haha) off of bitch you guessed it by og maco so look at that maybe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whoever managed to apply that without her flashing the nation is a master of their art.

She kinda did, though. That's why everyone's talking about them.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the keith ape song is like 100% aped (haha) off of bitch you guessed it by og maco so look at that maybe

but that's not korean rap

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Well why would you want that when you can have american rap? Aka the only kind that should be allowed to exist

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Agreed, with the only exception I would have accepted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCAj6ssJj8

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that Lipservice song ruled. Shame they underwent a load of messing about, I was looking forward to their other stuff.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Anyone seen Mix & Match? About putting the YG group IKON together. Holy poo poo YG is sadistic

I started watching after seeing this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJp680Wy1A of IKON (then Team B) crying on their first survival show. It's like he dangles the carrot in front of these kids for years while hanging them over a fire. Then he starts Mix & Match which is about the group finally debuting but with 3 brand new guys in the mix that the current boys have to compete just to stay in the group they thought they made it into.

Corn Thongs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 6, 2016

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Episode 465 from last Saturday and he was great, and I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone of his caliber/size/scale from the entertainment industry was on (on a variety show this physical and goofy, that's for sure)

Okay you got my attention, where can I watch Infinite Challenge?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
kshowonline.com

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thought this might interest some people.

Duolingo is an excellent free resource where you can learn different languages through lessons and community interactions. Today, they announced work is being done on a lesson for English speakers to learn Korean.

https://www.duolingo.com/course/ko/en/Learn-Korean-Online

Dunno when it will be done, but feel free to sign up for notifications, or even contribute to making the lessons if you know Korean.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
oh finally, i've been waiting for that for ages

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Well why would you want that when you can have american rap? Aka the only kind that should be allowed to exist

There's shitload of good rap that isn't american, you philistine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ravenkult posted:

There's shitload of good rap that isn't american, you philistine.

Ehhhhhhh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

While it's not k-drama, Bromance is loving amazing. Is there a t-drama thread?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I doubt there's a better place for it, you could try the LAN Taiwan thread but they'll probably laugh you out of it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 13, 2016

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I'm midway through Season 4 of The Genius, and it's been a great opener to my Korean TV experience. Are there any other shows like it that can be recommended, or if not, what show would you highly recommend I jump to next.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

running man

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Manic X posted:

I'm midway through Season 4 of The Genius, and it's been a great opener to my Korean TV experience. Are there any other shows like it that can be recommended, or if not, what show would you highly recommend I jump to next.

I would have recommended to watch seasons 1 to 3 first. I don't know of any other shows quite like it, but Crime Scene is more on the brainy than actiony side. Now here I'd personally recommend season 2, but that's just because I can't stand Henry and haven't watched more than the first episode of seaons 1...

Not variety and haven't watched it, but there's also a korean drama version of Liar Game, based on the manga that apparently inspired The Genius.

As for other shows, if you want action with your laughs, go with Running Man (The recommendation. Underlying concept is/was a game of tag/hide & seek with missions - watch from the beginning to experience the growing bonds and get inside jokes later on. Pretty good from the start, pretty consistently got better until it's golden era around ep. 100 - more recently it's become quite a mixed bag).
If you want to see more of Korea and silly games, try 2 Days & 1 Night (6 dudes travel the country and have to earn their food and beds with games - you can give the current season 3 a try, it's a pretty fresh start with 4 new members out of 6 and is officially available on Youtube).
If you want to see more of rural Korea, some light farming and silly games, go with the classic Family Outing (Bunch of celebrities house-sitting old school small farmhouses while the elders go on vacation for 2 days. Season 1, and only season 1...).
If you want to watch the farming and silly games, but mainly with female k-pop idols instead, watch Invincible Youth (One fixed farm, Idols don work clothing and grow and sell stuff - sounds dumb, but season 1 is still pretty much my favorite korean show - season 2 falls flat a few episodes in). You'll find a more diverse selection of female celebrities on Heroes (Basically an ongoing popularity contest - popular vs unpopular team do missions in different locations and get revaluated)
For farming (and cooking) without silly games but with a silly idol, a grumpy actor, a goat, a puppy and guests, Three Meals a Day is a very chill choise.
Not something I watch a lot of or would/could personally recommend as a whole (and would be hard to find subs for anyway), but Infinity Challenge is the longest running korean variety show out there and, due to not really having any sort of fixed theme, has a huge range of concepts (and quality...), so you might find something you like in there, but I'm not the one to give you specific recommendations.
Lastly, if you want to see a pretty cool dude and his entourage of varying other korean celebrities more or less struggle to survive and do missions in more or less beautifull and more or less remote places all over the world, try Law of the Jungle (preferably after they got called out for presenting regular tourist packages as dangerous/real survial experiences, around ep. 75 I think... I've only watched some random trips [multiple episodes each] from ~ep. 100 up)

Next step after watching some of those will likely be specific stuff with/about people/groups you want to see more of.

westborn fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 19, 2016

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

westborn posted:

I would have recommended to watch seasons 1 to 3 first. I don't know of any other shows quite like it, but Crime Scene is more on the brainy than actiony side. Now here I'd personally recommend season 2, but that's just because I can't stand Henry and haven't watched more than the first episode of seaons 1...

Not variety and haven't watched it, but there's also a korean drama version of Liar Game, based on the manga that apparently inspired The Genius.

As for other shows, if you want action with your laughs, go with Running Man (The recommendation. Underlying concept is/was a game of tag/hide & seek with missions - watch from the beginning to experience the growing bonds and get inside jokes later on. Pretty good from the start, pretty consistently got better until it's golden era around ep. 100 - more recently it's become quite a mixed bag).
If you want to see more of Korea and silly games, try 2 Days & 1 Night (6 dudes travel the country and have to earn their food and beds with games - you can give the current season 3 a try, it's a pretty fresh start with 4 new members out of 6 and is officially available on Youtube).
If you want to see more of rural Korea, some light farming and silly games, go with the classic Family Outing (Bunch of celebrities house-sitting old school small farmhouses while the elders go on vacation for 2 days. Season 1, and only season 1...).
If you want to watch the farming and silly games, but mainly with female k-pop idols instead, watch Invincible Youth (One fixed farm, Idols don work clothing and grow and sell stuff - sounds dumb, but season 1 is still pretty much my favorite korean show - season 2 falls flat a few episodes in). You'll find a more diverse selection of female celebrities on Heroes (Basically an ongoing popularity contest - popular vs unpopular team do missions in different locations and get revaluated)
For farming (and cooking) without silly games but with a silly idol, a grumpy actor, a goat, a puppy and guests, Three Meals a Day is a very chill choise.
Not something I watch a lot of or would/could personally recommend as a whole (and would be hard to find subs for anyway), but Infinity Challenge is the longest running korean variety show out there and, due to not really having any sort of fixed theme, has a huge range of concepts (and quality...), so you might find something you like in there, but I'm not the one to give you specific recommendations.
Lastly, if you want to see a pretty cool dude and his entourage of varying other korean celebrities more or less struggle to survive and do missions in more or less beautifull and more or less remote places all over the world, try Law of the Jungle (preferably after they got called out for presenting regular tourist packages as dangerous/real survial experiences, around ep. 75 I think... I've only watched some random trips [multiple episodes each] from ~ep. 100 up)

Next step after watching some of those will likely be specific stuff with/about people/groups you want to see more of.

A good post.

If you watch all of these shows you will know more names of korean celebrities than american ones.

I will also recommend you to watch Weekly Idol, which get translated if a fan group has an idol they are interested in appear, and if you are into idols at all watch the various shows they make to promote themselves. There are also rotating idol shows like Showtime (EXID and APink and AOA have all been on) and One Fine Day, which is like a tourist video highlighting Asian tourist destinations but Idols go there and goof off/have a grueling schedule of goofing off for a few days.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Yeah I meant that The Genius was my first Korean TV experience not specifically Season 4 :V

Thanks for the post, there's plenty there that have peaked my interest, I'll let you know how I find them!

I think the thing I find most entertaining is that I time is not lost on people being assholes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Manic X posted:

I think the thing I find most entertaining is that I time is not lost on people being assholes.

This right here is exactly what got me into Korean shows in the first place.

Certainly the behind the scenes stuff can be pretty horrifying (entertainment industry :shrug:), but on screen it's so refreshing to just watch people being funny and silly and charming and not having every show turn into a toxic slog to get through.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

westborn posted:

Infinity Challenge is a bit harder to get into, but once it clicks it's well worth it. Episodes can be hit-and-miss, but in general it's still a good show. I would say from the more recent episodes give 459-461 (IC most wanted) a try. It's a chase in Busan. Members have to find money/car/cellphones in spots all over the city and escape while being chased by police.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

elwood posted:

Infinity Challenge is a bit harder to get into, but once it clicks it's well worth it. Episodes can be hit-and-miss, but in general it's still a good show. I would say from the more recent episodes give 459-461 (IC most wanted) a try. It's a chase in Busan. Members have to find money/car/cellphones in spots all over the city and escape while being chased by police.

It was annoying as poo poo to have to deal with them filming here. gently caress that show.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Whizbang posted:

It was annoying as poo poo to have to deal with them filming here. gently caress that show.

I'm intrigued. What happened?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

elwood posted:

I'm intrigued. What happened?

Like you said, they were running all over the place being chased by police, so the police + fans running around after them made huge traffic jams everywhere.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Invincible Youth is the reason we even have shows about Korean TV on these forums now. It's still my favorite show to this day (not just out of Korean shows, but every show I've ever watched). And it obviously meant a lot to the people involved in it because they formed friendships that you still see going on today. It's the show that warms everyone's heart and makes everything good forever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jamesman posted:

Invincible Youth is the reason we even have shows about Korean TV on these forums now. It's still my favorite show to this day (not just out of Korean shows, but every show I've ever watched). And it obviously meant a lot to the people involved in it because they formed friendships that you still see going on today. It's the show that warms everyone's heart and makes everything good forever.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wasn't able to find a download for IY that didn't look like poo poo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's an SNSD fan site where you have to throw them some $ and they had a ridiculous amount of downloads. But that was years ago and they're probably gone now.

What about the usual Asian torrent site? I bet they're there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Pretty sure they're right there on the KBS or SBS or whatever youtube channel.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's an SNSD fan site where you have to throw them some $ and they had a ridiculous amount of downloads. But that was years ago and they're probably gone now.

What about the usual Asian torrent site? I bet they're there.

yeah, they looked horrible

Koramei posted:

Pretty sure they're right there on the KBS or SBS or whatever youtube channel.

huh well, so they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
http://kshowonline.com/kshow/1887-[engsub]-invincible-youth-ep.1-58-full

• Locked thread