Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because it's really troubling if you look at droids as a slavery analogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's a strange sort of inversion of cogito ergo sum. I am, therefore I don't think.

It's also a single syllable away from "I'm not paid to think" - and your employerthe Trade Federation needs employeesdroids who just do what they're told and don't ask questions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As you can see from the varied responses, it's one of those things that's not conveyed very effectively.

If this is true, then considering how you've been arguing what the meaning of scenes and themes in the prequels are for literally years in this thread, wouldn't that also mean the prequels didn't convey things effectively?

I'm not saying it's true. But I don't like your implication here that debate about the meaning of a scene suddenly, in this case, means the scene wasn't well done or didn't convey a message well. Varied opinions and ways of seeing a scene is kind of what we do here.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Vintersorg posted:

The punching is a old bad guy thing and nothing more - countless movies show enemies pressing / hitting / whatever to their wounds to psych themselves up - IT DON'T loving HuRT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2S9hktKcnA

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

feedmyleg posted:

I may be misreading you, but it totally strengthens the droids=slaves idea. "It's above my pay-grade" is programmed into their heads, although since they are sentient, they can think their way around it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

feedmyleg posted:

But it's a funny line, and it would've worked very well with twheir rwobotic voices.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

If this is true, then considering how you've been arguing what the meaning of scenes and themes in the prequels are for literally years in this thread, wouldn't that also mean the prequels didn't convey things effectively?

I'm not saying it's true. But I don't like your implication here that debate about the meaning of a scene suddenly, in this case, means the scene wasn't well done or didn't convey a message well. Varied opinions and ways of seeing a scene is kind of what we do here.

It's a question of why the debate is occurring.

With the Kylo Ren scene, fans have defaulted to saying he's angry or something, because the film hasn't provided much idea of what's going on. There's little choice but to use a line from Episode 1 as an explanation. Yoda say anger leads to the dark side, so obviously Kylo must be increasing his anger levels so that he can and power up his darkness...??

As a contrast, nobody is confused by the scene where Yoda throws down his cane and pulls out a tiny sword. The debate is over whether the scene should exist, whether it's 'supposed to be' funny, whether it disrespects Yoda, and so-on. But nobody is confused about what Yoda is doing.

ungulateman posted:

It's also a single syllable away from "I'm not paid to think" - and your employerthe Trade Federation needs employeesdroids who just do what they're told and don't ask questions.

The made/paid pun is fantastic.

Imagine C3PO: "We seem to be paid to suffer. It's our lot in life."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 18, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With the Kylo Ren scene, fans have defaulted to saying he's angry or something, because the film hasn't provided much idea of what's going on.

A reasonable belief, considering he's constantly angry and frustrated like good ol Grampy Slavermurderer.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ungulateman posted:

Holy poo poo this excerpt from the opening of the TPM script :allears:

I love the introduction of the jedi as "two darkly robed figures".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Imagine C3PO: "We seem to be paid to suffer. It's our lot in life."

At that point your just describing Anthony Daniels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Schwarzwald posted:

At that point your just describing Anthony Daniels.

Oh but he just loves it so much.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The current controversy is whether disney will "let" Finn and Poe be a couple.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/will-disney-ever-let-the-force-awakens-finn-and-poe-be-1759715797

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm going to be hugely disappointed if Snoke doesn't turn out to be Darth Plagueis. In the same way that it doesn't feel quite like Star Wars for the story not to be told through the lens of C-3PO and R2-D2, it seems weirdly off-kilter to have the universe in motion without the Emperor pulling the strings. From I-VI, Palpatine was always a sort of meta-author of the series- he created Anakin out of thin air, after all. So if Snoke is just another bad-dude who holds equal or lesser influence than Palpatine did, the whole thing will feel like an afterthought, rather than an escalation. It is a perfect narrative fit as well- Plagueis goes into hiding after surviving a botched assassination attempt from Palpatine, and emerges in VII even more powerful than before (which would basically mirror Palpatine's arc in III-IV as well).

If this were all true of course, the sensible thing to do would've been to have Snoke revealed as Plagueis in the same scene where it's revealed that Kylo Ren is the son of Solo, simply by having Ren refer say "yes, Lord Plagueis" at a certain point. It would serve a number of functions:

a) Establish a direct familial link between Kylo and Snoke, thus continuing the fathers and sons trope
b) Establish a direct familial connection between Luke and Snoke, thus bringing them both deeper into the plot, rather than making them both feel somewhat vestigial
c) Create a wonderful double-plot twist in one sequence where we find out that Plagueis is Luke's grandfather, and Kylo's great-grandfather.
d) Establish a nice narrative arc with the prequels

It seems completely obvious to me that this is what they should've done. It's impossible for me to imagine any narrative construct that would be more appropriate and fulfilling than this. Even from a business perspective it is sound- of all of the lightning rod characters/concepts from the prequels (of which I am a big fan), Plagueis is one of the more obscure, and towards which people probably feel the most ambivalent or have no familiarity with.

Someone convince me that it's going to be ok when we find out that Snoke is just another evil dude lurking in the shadows.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jewmanji posted:

Palpatine created Anakin out of thin air, after all.

Huh?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

It's heavily implied throughout the prequels, and particularly in Palpatine's story of Darth Plagueis the Wise, that Anakin was created by Palpatine (hence Anakin having no known father). Thus Palpatine, Anakin, and Luke are of one lineage, and the movies are centrally about Anakin's struggling allegiance to his father and son.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLfGh2b_me0

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, Palpatine is essentially giving Anakin the Sith version of "the birds and the bees" chat in front of a giant fertilizing egg. He also frequently addresses Anakin as "son"

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 19, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Corek posted:

The current controversy is whether disney will "let" Finn and Poe be a couple.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/will-disney-ever-let-the-force-awakens-finn-and-poe-be-1759715797

Click the link inside this link called "that lip-bite" to make clicking on this link worthwhile.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm going to be hugely disappointed if Snoke doesn't turn out to be Darth Plagueis.

[redacted]

Someone convince me that it's going to be ok when we find out that Snoke is just another evil dude lurking in the shadows.

We found this out a month before the movie came out. :v:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12/star-wars-andy-serkis-supreme-leader-snoke

Andy Serkis posted:

No, he’s a new character in this universe. It is very much a newly-introduced character.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I know you posted that with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek, but seriously, who's to say Serkis knows himself? The twist of ESB was kept from all but 2-3 people.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm still unsure of how Plageuis managed to be Luke's grandfather in all this somehow.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'll believe that when I've seen Episode IX.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean that means taking Palpatine at his word during his most manipulative speech and also believe schmi when she said there was no father even tho uh that's not how babies work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also I hope Kylo isn't hideously scarred. He's so handsome.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

I mean that means taking Palpatine at his word during his most manipulative speech and also believe schmi when she said there was no father even tho uh that's not how babies work.

You don't find it at all compelling that there's an all-knowing character who claims to have the ability to create life, speaking to a character whose origins are the virgin birth, who he refers to as "son"?

euphronius posted:

Also I hope Kylo isn't hideously scarred. He's so handsome.

Yeah, he's strangely magnetic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Poor Shmi.

Raped by the force and a village of Sand People and probably Watto knowing that dude.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Who could ever imagine of a Chosen One coming from a virgin birth.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jewmanji posted:

It's heavily implied throughout the prequels, and particularly in Palpatine's story of Darth Plagueis the Wise, that Anakin was created by Palpatine (hence Anakin having no known father). Thus Palpatine, Anakin, and Luke are of one lineage, and the movies are centrally about Anakin's struggling allegiance to his father and son.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLfGh2b_me0

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, Palpatine is essentially giving Anakin the Sith version of "the birds and the bees" chat in front of a giant fertilizing egg. He also frequently addresses Anakin as "son"

I dunno man, I see where you are coming from but after re-watching ROTS last night, for the first time in years, the Plagueis story seemed like something that Palpatine just made up on the spot after sensing Anakin's doubt.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

computer parts posted:

Who could ever imagine of a Chosen One coming from a virgin birth.

Yeah exactly. It's a ridiculous myth. Pretty cynical use by Lucas. Of course the Jedi believe Schmis rape story as some ridiculous prophecy fulfillment. They are blind to her.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palps story was perfectly tuned to change Anakins political allegiance. It was so expertly crafted that you have to doubt it.

Although to argue against myself as someone pointed out earlier the whole speech takes place in front of sperm impregnating eggs.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm not so sure Snoke is going to end up being a character who was never shown and only ever mentioned once, in a single scene, in a single Star Wars movie.

I mean, at that point, why not just have him be a totally new character?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite idea is datacron.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Jewmanji posted:

For what it's worth, and going by the script, Palpatine calls Anakin "son" just once. This occurs in Episode 3, well before the discussion at the opera :

Revenge of the Sith posted:

PALPATINE: Anakin, I've known you since you were a small boy. I have advised you over the years when I could ... I am very proud of your accomplishments. You have won many battles the Jedi Council thought were lost . . . and you saved my life. I hope you trust me, Anakin.

ANAKIN: Of course.

PALPATINE: I need your help, son.

ANAKIN: What do you mean?

PALPATINE: I fear the Jedi. The Council keeps pushing for more control. They're shrouded in secrecy and obsessed with maintaining their autonomy . . . ideals. I find simply incomprehensible in a democracy.

ANAKIN: I can assure you that the Jedi are dedicated to the values of the Republic, sir.

PALPATINE: Nevertheless, their actions will speak more loudly than their words. I'm depending on you.

ANAKIN: For what? I don't understand.

PALPATINE: To be the eyes, ears, and voice of the Republic . . .

ANAKIN thinks about this.

PALPATINE: (continuing) Anakin . . . I'm appointing you to be my personal representative on the Jedi Council.

ANAKIN: Me? A Master? I am overwhelmed, sir, but the Council elects its own members. They will never accept this.

PALPATINE: I think they will . . . they need you more than you know.

Anakin later describes Palpatine as a mentor and a friend. When Padme references Anakin's relationship to Obi-wan, she uses the same choice of words, "mentor" and "friend," but Anakin corrects her: "He's been a father to me."

This is shortly before the opera scene. Whether the viewer is meant to infer that either Plagueis or Palpatine was the one to "influence the midichlorians" to create Anakin is one thing, but is there anything at all in the film (or maybe Clone Wars?) to suggest that Anakin picks up on it in the slightest?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's ambiguous on purpose.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm not so sure Snoke is going to end up being a character who was never shown and only ever mentioned once, in a single scene, in a single Star Wars movie.

I mean, at that point, why not just have him be a totally new character?

The first two trilogies are all about defeating the Emperor, the symbol of ultimate evil in the Star Wars universe. The thinking is that it would be a bit jarring, from a mythic perspective, if the third installment in this trilogy of trilogies was suddenly about defeating some never-before-mentioned figure who has no connection with the Emperor. If Snoke turned out to be the prime mover who gave rise to the Emperor in the first place, it would bring things full circle, not to mention automatically establishing his credentials as a threat comparable to or greater than Palpatine.

I wouldn't count on it playing out that way, though.

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, they should have looked towards the SWTOR star destroyers, which look different enough, have a new interesting element in the cutaway, and still look intrinsically star destroyery (ironically this makes them kind of weird when they supposedly appeared thousands of years before the movies, but whatev)

Just give it the bridge profile of the classic destroyer and it's pretty reasonable. Certainly better than the new one.

I always liked these designs:

At a glance, it's immediately obvious that they're Star Destroyers, but it's also immediately obvious that they're something totally new and different from:

But yes, I know, I know, I ask for too much.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 19, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

The first two trilogies are all about defeating the Emperor, the symbol of ultimate evil in the Star Wars universe. The thinking is that it would be a bit jarring, from a mythic perspective, if the third installment in this trilogy of trilogies was suddenly about defeating some never-before-mentioned figure who has no connection with the Emperor. If Snoke turned out to be the prime mover who gave rise to the Emperor in the first place, it would bring things full circle, not to mention automatically establishing his credentials as a threat comparable to or greater than Palpatine.

I wouldn't count on it playing out that way, though.

Yes. Thinking about it in the inverse, people would be totally flummoxed if the person Rey and Finn spend VII searching for is just some random old Jedi that's been in hiding for 30 years that no one has heard of before. They''d say, "wait, why not just put Luke into this slot, it makes perfect sense".

Another benefit to having Snoke be Plagueis is that it also involves Leia and Han more. Leia really wasn't given much of anything to do in VII except stand around and wring her hands (though I'm sure she'll get something a little juicier in VIII). Having Snoke be her grandfather as well, and the person who orchestrates the murder of her estranged husband would bring both her and Han deeper into the plot. There's literally no way in which it's not a good idea.

edit: Re: those star destroyer designs, that first one is totally rad. The second one is a little too Star Trek for me. The red and white coloring of the destroyers in III reminded me a bit of the Razzle Dazzle technique from WWI- it'd be a neat idea to bring in something like that (perhaps not quite that dramatic...)

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 19, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Droids being the same as people. I don't buy it too much. They are simply too loyal to their masters. Lets take Todo 360 from the Clone Wars series. He was a Techno Service Droid that worked for the Bounty Hunter Cad Bane. Though Bane did not hold much respect for him treating him very poorly.

Todo "I am a Techno Service Droid, not a butler droid."
Bane "Can it Todo, you are what I say you are."
Todo "Frustrated mumbling.)

Bane also lied to Todo about doing maintenance on him to plant a bomb in the droid. Which he used as a distraction against the Jedi after sending Todo the wrong way to distract them. Blowing the realizing he was going to explode droid up. Todo was rebuilt after this and went straight back into Bane's service despite the horrible treatment Bane put him through.

I doubt even the most loyal person would go back to a master that deceived them and blew them up. Yet Todo did which makes a case for me that Droids are not proper beings.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

Yes. Thinking about it in the inverse, people would be totally flummoxed if the person Rey and Finn spend VII searching for is just some random old Jedi that's been in hiding for 30 years that no one has heard of before. They''d say, "wait, why not just put Luke into this slot, it makes perfect sense".

Another benefit to having Snoke be Plagueis is that it also involves Leia and Han more. Leia really wasn't given much of anything to do in VII except stand around and wring her hands (though I'm sure she'll get something a little juicier in VIII). Having Snoke be her grandfather as well, and the person who orchestrates the murder of her estranged husband would bring both her and Han deeper into the plot as well. There's literaly no way in which it's not a good idea.

It would also explain why Snoke's calling his movement the "First Order." He's what came before the "New Order" of Palpatine.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

See guys? Droids aren't slaves because they're clearly too mistreated and disregarded by society to be slaves. :downs:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

edit: Re: those star destroyer designs, that first one is totally rad. The second one is a little too Star Trek for me. The red and white coloring of the destroyers in III reminded me a bit of the Razzle Dazzle technique from WWI- it'd be a neat idea to bring in something like that (perhaps not quite that dramatic...)

One of the reasons I wish Jodorowsky's Dune got made (besides, like it's Jodorowsky's Dune holy poo poo) was that they were going to have all the ships be painted with crazy patterns and colors (some of which could change). The space backgrounds were going to be hyper colorful with tons of nebula and trials of gasses and stuff and the ships would use this as camouflage to blend in., the comparison was to elaborately colored fish that blend in very effectively with the specific types of coral and seaweed they live in.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cnut the Great posted:

I always liked these designs:

At a glance, it's immediately obvious that they're Star Destroyers, but it's also immediately obvious that they're something totally new and different from:

What are those two designs from?
The top one seems semi-familiar, but the bottom one is new to me. I really dig both designs, either way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's no real reason to assume either Shmee or Palpatine are lying. Anakin is simply some kind of weird biological accident that Palpatine wishes to replicate. In any case, a rudimentary atheism isn't enough.

Palpatine's talk of midichlorians is the punchline to what was set up in Episode 1. If the Jedi really are just psychic mutants, than there is nothing special about Anakin. It's as if God took a poo poo - something similar to the point of Roadside Picnic, where the magical artifacts that all pursue are probably just the garbage left by alien tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Snoke is Small Luke in a nod to the Thrawn trilogy

• Locked thread