Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

He's not actually wrong though, that was kind of a thing people used to comment on all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

intentional like the creepy posts you keep making? Puru is fine, jesus christ

She's a child-shaped weapon with a semi-functional moral compass who was raised and modified by walking creep machine Glemmy Toto. It's pretty clear she was supposed to be kind of off, and the name is just part of that.

Tomino could get pretty... direct with his 'adults screw over the young' theme. Just look at Quess in CCA.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 19, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

He's not actually wrong though, that was kind of a thing people used to comment on all the time

Most of those comments are based on the name's origins, tho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She's a child-shaped weapon with a semi-functional moral compass who was raised and modified by walking creep machine Glemmy Toto. It's pretty clear she was supposed to be kind of off, and the name is just part of that.

yeah, Glemy is a creep. meanwhile Puru is a girl in hosed up circumstances who acts out and tries to create some stability by forming a sibling relationship with Judeau. i really don't think Tomino is a pedophile because her name is a pun of an adult manga magazine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah, Glemy is a creep. meanwhile Puru is a girl in hosed up circumstances who acts out and tries to create some stability by forming a sibling relationship with Judeau. i really don't think Tomino is a pedophile because her name is a pun of an adult manga magazine.

I never said he was. I just said that he's willing to use (implied) paedophilia as part of his overarching metaphor for adults ruining/holding back the potential of youth. See also, Char wrecking Haman and Quess's lives. In other words, much about Ple and her sisters is creepy and offputting because Tomino wants it to be creepy and offputting, and the name is part of that. poo poo, just look at our introduction to Ple Two.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 19, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like Puru

puru puru puru~~~

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Puru-12 is the only Puru I especially like.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
drat, I'd forgotten how great MS Era is

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I didn't like Puru until I heard her combo attack speech with Domon in DW Gundam 1. That changed my tune real fast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Puru-12 is the only Puru I especially like.

Good character, good suit.

Seriously, the Kshatriya is goddamn fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Much better.

Darth Walrus posted:

I never said he was. I just said that he's willing to use (implied) paedophilia as part of his overarching metaphor for adults ruining/holding back the potential of youth. See also, Char wrecking Haman and Quess's lives. In other words, much about Ple and her sisters is creepy and offputting because Tomino wants it to be creepy and offputting, and the name is part of that. poo poo, just look at our introduction to Ple Two.
While you may be correct in your interpretation (as you are regarding the origin of Puru's name), that first post of yours still reads like you're making untoward accusations, even if that wasn't your intention - which combined with your posts on Erased looks like you have some sort of weird fixation, even if you don't.

Just something to keep in mind if you plan on discussing this further and wonder why people continue to react negatively to it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

boom boom boom posted:

drat, I'd forgotten how great MS Era is

fuckin LOVE this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I loving love MS Era for a lot of reasons, but as a photographer I love how well it captures the visual language of 60s-70s Era conflict photography without being directly referential of famous pieces.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

I loving love MS Era for a lot of reasons, but as a photographer I love how well it captures the visual language of 60s-70s Era conflict photography without being directly referential of famous pieces.

I love how it casually mentions that Zeon aces claimed more kills than there were GMs produced.

It's a really nice little piece in so many ways.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lobsterman posted:

I didn't like Puru until I heard her combo attack speech with Domon in DW Gundam 1. That changed my tune real fast.
Puru's story in DW Gundam 1 is something that should not work. You have Puru backed up by Domon and Zechs being the third wheel; none of those characters should work together as a team. And yet, the game manages to make that bizarre team work well. Shame that the later DW Gundam games dropped the first game's story mode, though. I would have loved to have seen equally mismatched pairings, like Kira having to deal with Ali's eccentrics or Angelo and Mashymere arguing over their respective idols.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omhNnvX3Sx0

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3TqH0iEc0

Kinda similar riff in the middle. I'm not saying it's ripoff, just appreciating two cool songs.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Puru's story in DW Gundam 1 is something that should not work. You have Puru backed up by Domon and Zechs being the third wheel; none of those characters should work together as a team. And yet, the game manages to make that bizarre team work well. Shame that the later DW Gundam games dropped the first game's story mode, though. I would have loved to have seen equally mismatched pairings, like Kira having to deal with Ali's eccentrics or Angelo and Mashymere arguing over their respective idols.

Even the stuff in DWG3 was lots of fun. It was what made things entertaining. I can barely see a game with just canon-replication mode being any fun at all.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Which was the one where Setsuna sends the player an e-mail with the subject "I AM GUNDAM!" and no body?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TTBF posted:

Which was the one where Setsuna sends the player an e-mail with the subject "I AM GUNDAM!" and no body?

That was 3.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So wait, is her name actually Pie or Puru?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ple

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both are valid if you don't care.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

junopsis posted:

Even the stuff in DWG3 was lots of fun. It was what made things entertaining. I can barely see a game with just canon-replication mode being any fun at all.

I have no idea why, but the writers of 3 decided to give Ribbons all the best lines. Seriously, he was great in that one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So wait, is her name actually Pie or Puru?

They're both transliterations so go with the one you like.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The official translation goes with Ple.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Officially it's Ple but she'll always be Puru to me

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mainly because it is easier to say.

Also, dreaming of a non canon over the top Gundam Empires still :(.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ple is probably the more accurate translation (and it is used in Gundam Unicorn in English IIRC) but it's been Puru in some English games too so use whatever the gently caress you want, people know who you mean.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Puru is the way it's done in the subs I have so that's what I'm calling her. I also just think it makes more sense even if it isn't official. The subs I have also have the name "Emaly" which means they're not exactly the most accurate, but whatever.

Speaking of Emily, I wasn't a fan of her arc. It kind of made Bright seem like a cheating rear end in a top hat, even if he didn't actually cheat on his wife with her. The hints of a romance between them just made me sad because I like Bright for being a stronger character and this made him look less strong.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The old ZZ fansubs are p bad and made a bunch of mistakes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I think the thing with Emily was suppose to highlight that Bright, despite trying to do the right thing, continues to be a bad father/husband.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kuvo posted:

I think the thing with Emily was suppose to highlight that Bright, despite trying to do the right thing, continues to be a bad father/husband.

I suppose that's fair. He has been proven to be really bad at that, but this just felt like a few steps farther than usual to me.

The only character that seems to have made the transition from Z to ZZ completely intact is Haman. She's still cool.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I always feel so sad when I think of Haman :smith:.

Also, speaking of Puru and the Dynasty Warriors game her voice actress nails the whole 'off' thing about her with her voice acting for both the sisters.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like zz bright a lot and find his thing with emily really believable and sad. His wife and kids suck. Burgers and bitches.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I like zz bright a lot and find his thing with emily really believable and sad. His wife and kids suck. Burgers and bitches.

Mirai is a cool, good person

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Droyer posted:

Mirai is a cool, good person

Agreed. Very few wives would (competently) pilot a battleship for you. Even less would volunteer for it.

Mirai is cool and probably the closest the UC comes to a saintly figure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mirai owns, though The Origins helps a lot by adjusting her to be more competent when Bright needs it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Emily has whites around her eyes soooooo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Emily has whites around her eyes soooooo

Look, there's some things you just need to trade in for superior piloting skills.

Everyone makes sacrifices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I actually thought the Emily arc added a lot to Bright.

It's part of Bright's appeal as a character that he's a relatively normal guy with a lot of personal failings who nevertheless tries his hardest to do the right thing despite how poo poo everything is. He's a notoriously bad father and husband who has spent a lot of his life being desperately unhappy and incredibly stressed due to his career and the politics surrounding it, so it's not at all out of character to imagine him responding to a bangin' hot 80s chick who is all up in his business. It makes him an even more human character, and all the best characters in Gundam are extremely human because of how flawed they are.