Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneDeadlyBum posted:

At least they're embracing the fact that the optimal way to play this game with huge, meticulously designed maps is to park yourself in one place and only ever see / play within 5% of it.

Then get totally rear end hosed when 2 fleshpounds spawn with 2 scrakes and 3 sirens behind them. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Require More Fire posted:

Small bit of Sharpshooter news.

This game has gone from "dead as gently caress" to "on life support" :sotw:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its going to be another year until Martial Artist hits, isn't it. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

And a few months till they fix it cause it will be full of stupid perks like "HALF HEALTH BUT YOU'RE SUPER FAST" or "YOU TAKE TRIPLE DAMAGE BUT ALL YOUR ATTACKS DO 50% MORE DAMAGE" or some poo poo.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Crabtree posted:

I don't mind because it will inevitably disappoint. There is no way they will do it justice.

No way the last weapon for martial artist will be punching people so that their heads explode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What did you guys actually expect out of a class that uses sniper rifles, seriously :geno:

edit: A class that uses sniper rifles is supposed to stand still and pick shots?? Well I'll be, I'd never considered this until the developers said it and now I'm against it!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

What did you guys actually expect out of a class that uses sniper rifles, seriously :geno:

edit: A class that uses sniper rifles is supposed to stand still and pick shots?? Well I'll be, I'd never considered this until the developers said it and now I'm against it!

You haven't played a shooter in the last couple of years have you.

Or gently caress even KF1, the sharp wasn't some zippy guy but he could move around, giving a damage boost for standing still in a game like KF2 is a recipe for disaster.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crabtree posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up just cancelling the PS4 version(and thus screwing over people like me who can't afford to upgrade to a newer computer), cause otherwise it's going to be at least 2 to 3 years before they even start on it at this rate(since they said they wouldn't work on the PS4 version till the PC version is finished), they really shouldn't have done Early Access

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

CJacobs posted:

It's a class supposedly about favoring accuracy and well placed shots right? Not moving doesn't make you a good sniper. You could better represent the class with like a stacking bonus on shots that you don't miss.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
I realize that I could easily end up eating my words on this one but it sounds like you guys are all thinking sharps bonus is gonna be like "standing still for x seconds will increase you attack by up to y%" when it really could be as straightforward as "hey rear end in a top hat hold still a second while you ironsight your rifle to shoot this fatty in his stupid face"

Besides that they are very clearly set on the three month plan, so we are due for sharp by march and then literal dragon class by june. Just in time for a proper holiday event in july. :patriot:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

thejacob posted:

I realize that I could easily end up eating my words on this one but it sounds like you guys are all thinking sharps bonus is gonna be like "standing still for x seconds will increase you attack by up to y%" when it really could be as straightforward as "hey rear end in a top hat hold still a second while you ironsight your rifle to shoot this fatty in his stupid face"

The image linked literally says "gets a bonus for standing still." Ironsighting to shoot is not a bonus by the definition of any reasonable person.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think what he meant is any time the player is not moving (ironsights or no) they get a bonus. Not a bonus for time stood still, just a flat playermovement=0 bonus=500000000 or something. I could easily be wrong but that's how I read it.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I think what he meant is any time the player is not moving (ironsights or no) they get a bonus. Not a bonus for time stood still, just a flat playermovement=0 bonus=500000000 or something. I could easily be wrong but that's how I read it.

Yeah, okay. This is also a reasonable interpretation.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Thank you, that is what I was going for.

I just don't believe that they honestly want you to hold still for several seconds at a time in order to get any kind of benefit out of your class.
Granted I could be totally wrong about that since they arent strangers to questionable design decisions.
With any luck this weeks WWAUT will offer more information than a blurb in a magazine sidebar.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, unless we know the actual specific details - or better yet, tested this thing in various difficulties and team compositions - speculating off a photo of a crappy marketing preview blip is kinda silly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, unless we know the actual specific details - or better yet, tested this thing in various difficulties and team compositions - speculating off a photo of a crappy marketing preview blip is kinda silly.

But since literally every class has dumb poo poo and choices attached to it right now, including one class which is literally just a better version of another, we all live in fear.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/970893970525461479

News update. Highlights include a gulag map, the gold ol' lever action rifle, and making Hans fun and having his heal phase interruptible.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
This is a dumbass question I'm sure, but does anyone know why on-perk weapon discounts were removed between KF1 and 2? That seemed like a really cool way to balance weapons between perks in addition to carry weight. Or is the answer as simple as the game is designed around your buying off perk weapons to make up for deficiencies inherent in the perk?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

unkle77 posted:

This is a dumbass question I'm sure, but does anyone know why on-perk weapon discounts were removed between KF1 and 2? That seemed like a really cool way to balance weapons between perks in addition to carry weight. Or is the answer as simple as the game is designed around your buying off perk weapons to make up for deficiencies inherent in the perk?

Most perks provide benefits to on-perk weapon use. Why disincentivize further when incentives accomplish the same task, without letting people try on different, and perhaps unconventional, approaches?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/970893970525461479

News update. Highlights include a gulag map, the gold ol' lever action rifle, and making Hans fun and having his heal phase interruptible.

Gonna pour some hatorade on this:

Nerfing Hans' stupid loving melee damage could be a thing they throw out today or any other day for the last two months or so.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At least its an option that sounds feasible other than just saying "we're thinking about it". Depends on what happens when you interrupt his healing and will get another heal attempt from being drain blocked.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The comments which imply the only reason someone would've left TWI was death are weird as hell. like literally "did their programmer die?" "is that why they're hiring?"

I mean ... sure, that could have happened (and that would be sad, yes, absolutely) but ...is it really that strange for someone to change jobs? That's a rhetorical question because no, it's not. :confused:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Gonna pour some hatorade on this:

Nerfing Hans' stupid loving melee damage could be a thing they throw out today or any other day for the last two months or so.

Yeah. This is my enduring complaint. There are apparently a bunch of changes coming down the pipeline, but we practically never hear much about specifics, only vague generalizations without any real timeline.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the thing, I liked his healing phase cause it forced teamwork, you had to work together to overcome it.

And the problem was never healing phase either, its his drat melee.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
If we're throwing out bucket list fixes then I submit that Support perk penetration should - at a certain point - penetrate the metal armor on Zeds. Unloading a doubleshotgun blast into a Siren's "face" and having almost all of the pellets rocket off in all directions is annoying as hell.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I play this game way too much and have just two achievements left to earn: Perked Up (which I don't think is even possible to get until all Perks are in the game) and Hellish Demolition. I don't believe I'll ever get the latter because gently caress saddling a team that makes it to the end of HoE with dead weight due to bosses' explosive resistance.

The "longer term change we are looking at (that may take some time to materialize)" regarding Hans in the latest WWAUT is bumming me out, though. I'd rather not wait for them to try to refine Hans perfectly or package a new feature before we can see changes.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

If we're throwing out bucket list fixes then I submit that Support perk penetration should - at a certain point - penetrate the metal armor on Zeds. Unloading a doubleshotgun blast into a Siren's "face" and having almost all of the pellets rocket off in all directions is annoying as hell.

That or the commando's bullets. 7.62 can't blast through 2mm of rusted poo poo on a siren? BAH!

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I thought the stuff like siren cages were just a low-damage hitbox (like fleshie blenders, chainsaws, gorefast blades...) and not actually bouncing shots

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Yeah. This is my enduring complaint. There are apparently a bunch of changes coming down the pipeline, but we practically never hear much about specifics, only vague generalizations without any real timeline.

And it's always two steps forward, four back. Patch notes: nerfed Hans melee after talking about it for 6 months, but made up for it with player-seeking grenades and gave his melee damage to Pat. Also, support can only get ammo from pickups around the level.

Like, almost literally nobody is complaining about his healing. It's his stupid melee. Just throw a dart at a wall of numbers, put that out as a patch, and just try it. It's a testing environment for god's sake.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 20, 2016

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

pnutz posted:

I thought the stuff like siren cages were just a low-damage hitbox (like fleshie blenders, chainsaws, gorefast blades...) and not actually bouncing shots

I think it's both; in that you see the shots bounce off, but the bullets are also just hitting a low damage hitbox. I'm not sure to what degree the damage is reduced however, cause if it's high enough then the bullets might as well be bouncing off.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Truecon420 posted:

I think it's both; in that you see the shots bounce off, but the bullets are also just hitting a low damage hitbox. I'm not sure to what degree the damage is reduced however, cause if it's high enough then the bullets might as well be bouncing off.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDpg2mN1l_86U_RaDug0glFx8cZCuErwxZLiBKl9SyY/edit#gid=2076405357

under the zeds tab, for siren damage areas posted:

Head - 1.1 / Neck - 1.1 / Chest - 0.5 / Hips - 0.5 / All other - 1

apparently that withered body is made of tougher stuff than her arms and legs

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

this game's content is so old now it makes KF1 seem fresh

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
No updates, only stats

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/970894511938085286

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

See this is where you're wrong:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/970894511938037707

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

lmbo at some of those bug fixes.

The data presentation is pretty poor, IMO.

1. Keep the scaling on the y-axis constant across graphs. This should not have been hard to do. Or hell, failing that, throw some labels on top of each bar.

2. Limited data bad. If there's a compelling reason for only showing 72 hours of data, say what that reason is. Otherwise, I feel inclined to be dismissive of results.

3. Overall player counts on a per-difficulty basis would be nice. We should probably expect most players to be concentrated in one or two difficulties, but it would be good to see what those difficulties are.

4. Filtering by player level at this point seems like it might be misleading. Tripwire is assessing what levels should play a certain difficulty based on their internal beliefs, but their beliefs and intentions might not bear out into reality. Why not show filtered and unfiltered stats? That would be the most honest thing to do.

Things worth noting:

1. Medic/Firebug/Gunslinger percentages seem to stay relatively static across difficulties.

2. Support players decline in number when switching up to HoE, but are otherwise static.

3. Berserkers claim a larger share of players as difficulty increases. This is most notable on HoE.

4. Commando and Demo decrease in quantity as difficulty increases. Demo is also consistently the least-played perk. Hm...

5. However, commandos aren't uncommon. They outnumber multiple other perks, regardless of difficulty.

6. With regard to boss win rates: Hans on hard is... interesting. I don't know what's going on there, but something sure is. I'd also that the 72-hours limitation might have an effect here, but we obviously can't be sure. If it is the case that people have gotten frustrated with Hans and stopped playing, then the people who have played most recently are those who have the most experience, and thus might be more likely to win. Plausible, but it's just speculation. Too bad we don't have all the data...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Higher difficulties is all about mobility and being able to take a hit, Zerker excels in both aspects so it makes sense they'd sky rocket the more you go up the ladder, I legit think you can't win HoE without a good zerker on your team meat shielding and parrying properly and a good medic keeping the team alive.

And from my experience commando is very viable on all difficulties but they do require babysitting since they lack mobility, they also need teammates to set up situations for them to help DPS the big zeds like toss an EMP at a scrake so he can headshot him without worry of retaliation.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I feel like the "Hands on Hard" thing might be because people jump to Hard thinking that they know what's up, and then all of the things that make Hans awful fucks them, where as on Normal he's more manageable and on Suicidal and up players are (generally) good enough to handle his bullshit.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Without knowing how they've filtered the data, it's meaningless to present.

But I'm sure it'll be used to nerf berserker, medic, and commando, instead of buffing the other perks to be usable and desirable on higher difficulties. In the same patch that they buff Hans.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

OneDeadlyBum posted:

Without knowing how they've filtered the data, it's meaningless to present.

But I'm sure it'll be used to nerf berserker, medic, and commando, instead of buffing the other perks to be usable and desirable on higher difficulties. In the same patch that they buff Hans.

:agreed: on all counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
There's a lot of data that we're still picking through for accuracy, you'll note that the last few updates have all included fixes/improvements to the analytic system to help us comb through and identify bad data. It's all really interesting stuff, however.

Worse case scenario is that the data tells us where we need to refine our collection methods. We'll share more graphs/data once we are confident that the data is being collected in an accurate and meaningful way. "Demo is doing the most raw damage of any perk" isn't meaningful if the analytic system is counting overkill damage, or not taking resistances into account, for example.