Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh well utterly breaking the game on a trap doop secret store seemed to work for The Lost. Still missing Mega Satan and I did it on Normal but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Soy milk is another one of those items that's just plain bad 90% of the time.

I had one run where I got cricket's body, followed by ipecac. That was already dangerous enough with just ipecac, let alone with splitting shots. Then I saw soy milk and just decided to go for it. Tiny little ipecac shots that exploded into 4 smaller ipecac shots, machinegunning out of me. It was actually kind of good at mincing bosses, but super, super dangerous to myself.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Slime posted:

Soy milk is another one of those items that's just plain bad 90% of the time.

I had one run where I got cricket's body, followed by ipecac. That was already dangerous enough with just ipecac, let alone with splitting shots. Then I saw soy milk and just decided to go for it. Tiny little ipecac shots that exploded into 4 smaller ipecac shots, machinegunning out of me. It was actually kind of good at mincing bosses, but super, super dangerous to myself.

I got this combo once, but it was in the Chest so I had plenty of defense to handle it. One of my favorite combos ever.

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012
I've gotten 4 consecutive curse of the blind floors on a hard mode Eden run. What gives? Is it just horrible chance?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Aztec posted:

I've gotten 4 consecutive curse of the blind floors on a hard mode Eden run. What gives? Is it just horrible chance?

Yes

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aztec posted:

Edmund McMillian hates you, can't you see

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I really, really hate The Lost.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ironsolid posted:

Do you have the starting holy mantle for him from greed mode donations? The lost is a perfectly fine character with that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ironsolid posted:

Have you played The Keeper yet?

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Dias posted:

Have you played The Keeper yet?

Yeah, his mechanics piss me off too. I've been playing rebirth on my Vita and finally unlocked the lost...

The idea of unlocking god head terrifies me. Maybe if I'm able to get massive damage + tears up + Brimstone. That or getting gnawed leaf + daddy longlegs - I don't see myself completing this.

Andrast posted:

Do you have the starting holy mantle for him from greed mode donations? The lost is a perfectly fine character with that.

Yeah, on my PC -.-

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 15, 2016

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock
I just started playing this game yesterday...my streak is sitting at -16. Is that a disproportionate amount of suck? This game is very hard and I'm not sure if it's my timing or my lack of understanding game features that keeps getting me killed (mostly by Dangle, he is the worst).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No, that's normal

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Need No Instruction posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday...my streak is sitting at -16. Is that a disproportionate amount of suck? This game is very hard and I'm not sure if it's my timing or my lack of understanding game features that keeps getting me killed (mostly by Dangle, he is the worst).

You will learn. You have to first learn how to survive going deeper, then to learn to win runs, then to learn to win runs with lovely builds. The first phase will always produce bad streaks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It took me about 50 losses to finally beat the first final boss, IIRC. BoI is hard and you will die, but you'll also learn how to not die and slowly progress.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm pretty sure I've had streaks of -80 or worse, and now the only things I have left to do (in PS4 rebirth, no afterbirth) is fill the post it note for The Lost and get the hard mode boss rushes. If you are enjoying the game, ignore the streak counter. You generally get the hang of the timings*, you get the hang of what items you like and what ones you dont, where the secret rooms tend to be, what devil deals are worth making. Then everything is terrible and the game gets harder again. Its a lot of fun.

*Except Dingle. gently caress DINGLE. I have most of the early bosses down but I just cant differentiate his tell for charging from the one for shooting, so unless I have decent speed I take hits. Can still usually beat him, but take some damage.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SiKboy posted:

I'm pretty sure I've had streaks of -80 or worse, and now the only things I have left to do (in PS4 rebirth, no afterbirth) is fill the post it note for The Lost and get the hard mode boss rushes. If you are enjoying the game, ignore the streak counter. You generally get the hang of the timings*, you get the hang of what items you like and what ones you dont, where the secret rooms tend to be, what devil deals are worth making. Then everything is terrible and the game gets harder again. Its a lot of fun.

*Except Dingle. gently caress DINGLE. I have most of the early bosses down but I just cant differentiate his tell for charging from the one for shooting, so unless I have decent speed I take hits. Can still usually beat him, but take some damage.

It's his expression

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

AnonSpore posted:

It's his expression

This. If he's about to charge, he'll get all puffy-faced like a 4-year old holding their breath in a temper tantrum.

The best way to avoid his charge attacks, if that's what's getting you, is to move perpendicular to the way he's charging at you. Directly above him? Move left or right. Across the room on your left? Move up or down. I think my biggest losing streak so far has been about 35, it's totally normal to suck badly at BoI when you start out. But remember, sucking at something is the first step to being sort of okay at it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And don't shoot at him when he's charging. That changes his normally-straight course, and can deflect him into you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dingle used to be a pain for me, but yeah, dodge perpendicular to his charge and he's just kinda annoying. Most early bosses are "easy" but if you're understatted, kinda annoying. Like The Haunt with a slow/low-health character. "Oh, I'm sorry but the small cock ghosts decided to use a fuckin' flank formation and you're taking a hit. Also, Haunt decided to trap you with an unavoidable Brimstone because it took you a split second too long to avoid the corner".

i miss the days of pin the stupid weak worm and the occasional horsemen

now you get the stain on caves 1 sometimes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Or a small room pestilence.

I also really don't like the Rag man. He's not exactly hard but he has far too much HP so it takes forever to kill him if you have low damage.

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock
Thanks for the encouragement dudes...I will keep plugging away. I didn't know that shooting mid charge would alter the course and that has probably accounted for a couple of my deaths.

Also, there are two Golgothan poo poo Demons right? Dingle and Dangle? One of them is full of corn and he wrecks me everytime, the other one I can usually get past.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Dias posted:

Tiny room with The Cage made me want to cry. They shouldn't have bosses in tiny rooms.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Thanks for the encouragement dudes...I will keep plugging away. I didn't know that shooting mid charge would alter the course and that has probably accounted for a couple of my deaths.

Also, there are two Golgothan poo poo Demons right? Dingle and Dangle? One of them is full of corn and he wrecks me everytime, the other one I can usually get past.

Yellow Poop is Brown Poop's Big Brother and a bit harder. Big Round Yellow Poop (Brownie?) is the Poop Overlord and although I'm good at fighting it now, it puts so much literal poo poo on the screen sometimes you can't help but take damage.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Dangle is the corny one. The big difference is that he slides twice towards you instead of Dingle's (non-corny) three times and leaves slippery yellow marks and spawns small corny poops instead of regular ones.

Keep trying and have fun with Dingle's champion forms
:unsmigghh:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I find the thing that throws me off about Dangle is when he spawns Dips - they're rushing at you when they appear, and if you're too close it's way too easy to get hit. I'm learning to keep my distance from Dangle more than I do with Dingle. They also spawn in the middle of the whistle, which is sooner than I usually expect.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Doing the "Head Trauma" challenge. Things are going pretty well. Then this. Luckily the shuffle didn't hurt too bad. Had some damage ups come in on the next two levels. But was one of those "Oh fuuuuuuuuck you" moments.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

hooolllly poo poo

so i just did a keeper greed run, cuz i haven't done that yet

it was quite literally the most powerful run i've ever had, there shouldn't have been anything to stop me, first floor i got crickets head from a stone chest, sweet, i'll stick with this run

kill the enemies, get crickets body from the treasure room, i kept getting tears up, got a few okay damage ups along the way, doing risky deals with the devil and buying health back, chaos appeared, giving me swallowed penny, finished off my guppy transformation, godhead pops up, had the kidney stone a lot earlier, bought some protection in the form of extra lives, i'm killing the cage in about 1 second, a single one of my flies kills a regular greed

get down to the main event, still terrified cuz i know i'll gently caress it up, watch one of my many flies fly into the mini greed and kill him, okay cool, notice i have a kidney stone charge, sweet, go into the boss room...

he unhangs himself, i let go, his health bar literally just went from 100 to 0 in no joke 1 second - i've never seen a 'big' boss's health go down so insanely fast, i didn't even have my hands on the keyboard i just watched this bar go from full to not and then i got the rib of greed

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I thought Hush and Ultra Greed had damage scaled health to make them extra tanky to prevent one hit kills without Chaos Card. Was that confirmed or was it just conjecture based on people having tough times with both bosses even with builds that would insta-kill Mega Satan?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
My understanding is that they do have damage reduction, but for whatever reason spiders and flies ignore it.

It's per-hit, so anything that does lots of hits very fast will clown Hush and Ultra Greed. Ultra Greed moreso because Hush will duck out of the way when he hits his damage thresholds, so Mega Maw isn't as effective on him as it is on UG.

Sad Bombs with Brimstone or Mini Brim dropped right on top of Hush eat his health fast. That plus Bomber Boy is a hilariously fast way to kill Hush.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just killed CHAD and got an 8 ball instead of the little chad item.

Then when I went down to the depths I had chad with me despite him not being there on the previous floor.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Feels like no matter which way I go on the womb/cathedral/sheol it always turns out to be the wrong path. With no mapping I'll end up clearing the entire floor just trying to find the boss room.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Alteisen posted:

I just killed CHAD and got an 8 ball instead of the little chad item.

Then when I went down to the depths I had chad with me despite him not being there on the previous floor.

Did you have Cambion Conception? You might have gotten hit during the Chad battle, spawned LC, grabbed the 8 Ball, dropped down and then noticed. When I play as Lilith I constantly do this.

"When the gently caress did I get Brother Bob-ohhhhhhhh."

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

for anyone who wants to give it a whirl and have a look at the bullshit that was the damage on that run - MKVX 1K4S

now i've found how to locate seeds i'm gonna go through it again and make a gif of the last 'fight' cuz it really was ridiculous

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dias posted:

Dingle used to be a pain for me, but yeah, dodge perpendicular to his charge and he's just kinda annoying. Most early bosses are "easy" but if you're understatted, kinda annoying. Like The Haunt with a slow/low-health character. "Oh, I'm sorry but the small cock ghosts decided to use a fuckin' flank formation and you're taking a hit. Also, Haunt decided to trap you with an unavoidable Brimstone because it took you a split second too long to avoid the corner".

I'm very happy to see Dingle now because he actually has a recognizable pattern. I wish more of the bosses had tells, like if you could see whether Haunt was going to brimstone or spit at you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Prop Wash posted:

I'm very happy to see Dingle now because he actually has a recognizable pattern. I wish more of the bosses had tells, like if you could see whether Haunt was going to brimstone or spit at you.

You know who started to gently caress me up after Afterbirth because of that? Krumpus. I swear the rear end in a top hat had more of a tell to his Brimstone over his spit. Now it just phases into existence outta nowhere, and sometimes it even spins around to make sure you eat poo poo. Went from "aww, a waste of a devil deal" to "actually could kill me if I'm too slow".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

You know who started to gently caress me up after Afterbirth because of that? Krumpus. I swear the rear end in a top hat had more of a tell to his Brimstone over his spit. Now it just phases into existence outta nowhere, and sometimes it even spins around to make sure you eat poo poo. Went from "aww, a waste of a devil deal" to "actually could kill me if I'm too slow".

The rotating brimstone he does can also be bullshit if he it does near a wall so you can't dodge. It's guaranteed damage.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Andrast posted:

The rotating brimstone he does can also be bullshit if he it does near a wall so you can't dodge. It's guaranteed damage.
Yeah, that and the basement/cellar 'trap' room with exploding barrels+exploding rocks+potential troll bomb in the middle that makes a guaranteed 1 full heart damage if you enter the room from the top or bottom really make me hate afterbirth.

There were always bullshit room layouts in rebirth where you will take damage if you don't have sufficient damage/flight. Far worse is the wall-hugging krampus, fallen's rotating beam attack while floating over a chasm, and the unavoidable damage trap room. Judas was my favorite rebirth character because he didn't rely on any item RNG, but in afterbirth he can die to unavoidable things if he doesn't get some buffer health first.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

here someone goes if anyone's vaguely interested - https://gfycat.com/SoggyVeneratedDeviltasmanian

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Balobam posted:

here someone goes if anyone's vaguely interested - https://gfycat.com/SoggyVeneratedDeviltasmanian

Yknow it's a little hard to tell but I think they won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sanctum posted:

Yeah, that and the basement/cellar 'trap' room with exploding barrels+exploding rocks+potential troll bomb in the middle that makes a guaranteed 1 full heart damage if you enter the room from the top or bottom really make me hate afterbirth.

There were always bullshit room layouts in rebirth where you will take damage if you don't have sufficient damage/flight. Far worse is the wall-hugging krampus, fallen's rotating beam attack while floating over a chasm, and the unavoidable damage trap room. Judas was my favorite rebirth character because he didn't rely on any item RNG, but in afterbirth he can die to unavoidable things if he doesn't get some buffer health first.

Almost none of the rooms have unavoidable damage. For instance the one you posted can be cleared by standing in the south east corner and shooting one of the barrels in the north east corner.