Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The JEB in Winter one is good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quoPqs3xccE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

That's a lovely analogy. Jeb! is Prince John.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blue squares posted:

If I found Samantha Bee really really annoying on TDS (and not in a "women aren't funny" way) would I also dislike her new show?

I didn't like her at all on TDS but I enjoyed her bit with refugees. I haven't watched anything else but that was good.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So at what point do we begin to question the efficacy of the NBC/WSJ/Marist polling? I mean, after tomorrow probably and I know they have Nate Silver's endorsement, but the last two polls they've put out are large outliers. They just released a SC GOP poll which shows Trump +5, of the other 7 polls taken post-debate the next lowest Trump lead is two showing him at +12...

A national Fox News poll taken post-debate has Trump back at +17 (in contrast to the NBC/WSJ poll showing Cruz at +2).

There's a goon in this thread who has some splaining to do

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

blue squares posted:

If I found Samantha Bee really really annoying on TDS (and not in a "women aren't funny" way) would I also dislike her new show?

You probably wouldn't like her talking about the news of the week but her interviews are really good

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Boon posted:

So at what point do we begin to question the efficacy of the NBC/WSJ/Marist polling?

After the votes have been cast. Anything else is just guesswork.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Boon posted:

So at what point do we begin to question the efficacy of the NBC/WSJ/Marist polling? I mean, after tomorrow probably and I know they have Nate Silver's endorsement, but the last two polls they've put out are large outliers. They just released a SC GOP poll which shows Trump +5, of the other 7 polls taken post-debate the next lowest Trump lead is two showing him at +12...

A national Fox News poll taken post-debate has Trump back at +17 (in contrast to the NBC/WSJ poll showing Cruz at +2).

There's a goon in this thread who has some splaining to do

They overestimated Trump in Iowa by 10%. Underestimated Trump in NH by 4%.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

wish werner herzog narrated the voiceover part. ah well, can't have everything we want

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

i came here to post this too, by the way, it's pro click as heck

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's a lovely analogy. Jeb! is Prince John.

He's the Sheriff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDntpV_HdQ

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mitt Romney posted:

So wildly swinging based on the small sample size...

Is there anyone who is tracking and providing feedback on which pollsters are hitting closest currently?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you've ever wanted to watch a live video of Antonin Scalia's corpse, now you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMezboB4Qg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

If you've ever wanted to watch a live video of Antonin Scalia's corpse, now you can.

Is there a designated stick eye poker to authenticate his demise?

They are aware the head must be interred apart from the body?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm nervous he's gonna pop out of that coffin any minute and be like "oh it was just bad gas lol! Now to consider that for-sure upcoming challenge to Texas abortion restriction bullshit, ha ha!"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Mitt Romney posted:

The problem here is guessing how many people who approve of Trump will vote. It's going to be _really_ weird, because his base is the people who don't vote so much.
In Iowa and especially New Hampshire (small state effect) it actually should have tracked well with the polls - which follows the above results - in NH, EVERYONE participates in the primaries.

The next few states should show how it works in the 'real world'. I'm expecting him to significantly underperform. He shouldn't have the Evangelical multiplier - the GOTV buses they run.

I am willing to call this a prediction, but more in the 'this is my theoretical evaluation' way rather than any absolute confidence in it - anyone see any holes in my reasoning?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wonder what percentage are there to mourn and what percentage are there to make sure he really is dead.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Stanos posted:

I would really be fascinated to know what dirt he has or what compromising photos he's locked up with a dead man's hand somewhere because it's the only way I can mentally rationalize someone being consistently wrong for decades and still having the job he does.

Anyone else would be sitting out in the unemployment line, yet...

It's pure nepotism. His father, Irving Kristol, was maybe the most important intellectual in the history of the neoconservative movement. His mother, Gertrude Himmelfarb aka Bea Kristol, was one of the more influential conservative historians of the mid-20th century. The pair of them were the ultimate power couple in conservative publishing and intellectual circles. His last name has paid his freight at every step of his life.

The shocking thing isn't actually the fact that he still gets work, because beyond a certain level a person like him simply isn't allowed to fail. He personifies elite interests and protecting him from his own incompetence and stupidity is a core ruling class principal--if they abandoned him, it'd be like abandoning their own shitheel kids. The really shocking thing is that he was actually so consistently incorrect and intellectually dishonest that the NYT opinion page actually canned his dumb rear end. Imagine how awful you have to be to get fired by a bunch of guys who consider Thomas Friedman their flagship contributor. His replacement was Ross. Goddamn. Douthat. Imagine being so lowdown and terrible that they replaced you with Douthat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Warcabbit posted:

I am willing to call this a prediction, but more in the 'this is my theoretical evaluation' way rather than any absolute confidence in it - anyone see any holes in my reasoning?

TRUMP

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

EvanSchenck posted:

Imagine how awful you have to be to get fired by a bunch of guys who consider Thomas Friedman their flagship contributor.

Speaking of 'ol Tom, this was a pretty Friedmanesque moment. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/opinion/who-are-we.html

quote:

I’d take Sanders more seriously if he would stop bleating about breaking up the big banks and instead breathed life into what really matters for jobs: nurturing more entrepreneurs and starter-uppers. I never hear Sanders talk about where employees come from. They come from employers — risk-takers, people ready to take a second mortgage to start a business. If you want more employees, you need more employers, not just government stimulus.

I have just the plan for him: The 2015 “Milstein Commission on Entrepreneurship and Middle-Class Jobs” report produced by the University of Virginia, which notes: “The identity of America is intrinsically entrepreneurial [enshrined] by the founders, popularized by Horatio Alger, embodied by Henry Ford. … With enough hard work anyone can use entrepreneurship to pave their own way to prosperity and strengthen their communities by creating jobs and growing their local economy.”
I mention this not because I want to turn us to Sanderschat, but because the co-chairs of that commission he is citing are Steve Case and Carly Fiorina.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

eviltastic posted:

Speaking of 'ol Tom, this was a pretty Friedmanesque moment. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/opinion/who-are-we.html

I mention this not because I want to turn us to Sanderschat, but because the co-chairs of that commission he is citing are Steve Case and Carly Fiorina.

la guillotine is too good for him

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

So wildly swinging based on the small sample size...

Is there anyone who is tracking and providing feedback on which pollsters are hitting closest currently?

The most accurate poll is going to be an average of all of them. So try PPP. :v:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Joementum posted:

Closed casket. That proves it, the lich is lose.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nocartax posted:

I wonder at what point the campaigns flinch and start dropping out. Once we get past SC and NV, you can get campaigns that prioritize states to try and get leverage. Kaisch can say he does well in large population blue states of which we've had basically none. Rubio has Florida. Cruz has Texas. Once these three stay in what's to say Jeb doesn't join the kitten pile?

We are on Rubio's 7th or 8th "big chance". This one is being billed as "make or break!"...except "make" here is defined as coming in 3rd.

Jeb is basically still in to spite Rubio for his "betrayal" if you believe the "insiders". I don't lend that much credence given how wrong they have been, but "petty, spiteful, incompetent" is basically the Bush family motto.

Carson is running a money scam, he's in as long as there is cash.

Kaisch is bet on leaving after Nevada. Not enough support to keep him going

Trump and Cruz are running tight campaigns and winning, no reason for them to drop anytime soon

Things are going to settle out fast here. A little appreciated fact of the race is that after the first 3 contests, things really speed up. Iowa, NH, SC, you have the long lead up to build your organization, visit every county, go to every local fish fry, etc. It is an easier learning curve, lets the less organized, under funded campaigns make up for those shortcomings with time and margin for error. But one you get past those opening contests its on. No time to build and network, you need to move in, set up shop, and mobilize fast.

We are going to see a sharp winnowing here real soon when campaigns that have been coasting run up against the need to accelerate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I made a thread for tomorrow's events: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765064

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

la guillotine is too good for him

The beauty of la guillotine is that she is generous in her affections.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/700681082639884289

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Btw, for any of you who have irate family members/co workers/facebook friends about Obama not being at the funeral, he was asked not to come by the Scalia family

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Joementum posted:

Who are the four standing around the casket?

Also more people on their cell phones than I expected.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Btw, for any of you who have irate family members/co workers/facebook friends about Obama not being at the funeral, he was asked not to come by the Scalia family

Is asking the high ranking officials not to come to another one's funeral something that typically happens?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Wow. I mean I get they don't like his politics but he's the loving President.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fried Chicken posted:

Asking the president of the US not to attend the funeral of one of the heads of another branch of the government...classy.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

eviltastic posted:

Obviously mocking Friedman is well-traveled ground, but good lord the man just can't help himself. Employees come from... employers? They spring forth fully-formed from entrepreneurial foreheads like modern-day Athenas? Mixing up the "job creators" rhetoric there a bit, Tom...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Syjefroi posted:

Who are the four standing around the casket?

Also more people on their cell phones than I expected.

I think I read they are law clerks that get rotated every half hour.

And yeah, my favorite was the guy that just walked by the casket texting, never looked up once.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
nice

quote:

Affluenza teen Ethan Couch—who was previously detained in beautiful, sunny Puerto Vallarta before being sent off to juvie in Texas—got some bad news this morning. A Texas judge has ruled to move the 18-year-old’s case to adult court, meaning he could face actual jail time for his role in the drunk-driving accident that killed four people.

Couch was 16 when he was faced with drunk driving charges back in 2013 but ultimately used an “affluenza” defense to convince the judge to let him off for just being too damned rich. Since violating his probation and running off to Mexico, though, Couch might actually have to deal with the consequences of his actions.

From the The Houston Chronicle:

quote:

The Friday ruling means the 18-year-old Couch could face 120 days in jail, then finish his 10-year probation. But if he violates his probation during that time, he could get up to 10 years in prison for each of the four people killed in the accident.

The judge ordered that the case be transferred before Couch turns 19 in April. Couch remains in custody.

One-hundred twenty days in jail might not seem like much, but if history is any indication, the likelihood of ya boy Ethan Couch staying out of trouble for ten years is pretty slim.

Anyway, let him know if you’ve found his dog.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

On Terra Firma posted:

Wow. I mean I get they don't like his politics but he's the loving President.

Probably a security issue. Anywhere the president goes the security gets crazy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting choice of video to use as the intro here by Fox.

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/700642808978223105

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Did... did he really like applesauce or something?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

nice

One-hundred twenty days in jail might not seem like much, but if history is any indication, the likelihood of ya boy Ethan Couch staying out of trouble for ten years is pretty slim.

Anyway, let him know if you’ve found his dog.

This guy's parents are so terrible I'm starting to buy his defense.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably a security issue. Anywhere the president goes the security gets crazy.

Nah, knowing their relative they are all probably just huge pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did... did he really like applesauce or something?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/06/25/scalia-on-king-ruling-pure-applesauce/

there's also broccoli in that photo - http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico44/2012/03/scalia-wonders-about-a-broccoli-mandate-118823

• Locked thread