Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

I got answers to most of that, and velia is the tutorial town with all the answers in quest form, but it is a lot of poo poo I don't wanna type. If you end up in the CTS mumble I'll explain it.
OK, haven't gotten over there yet (I think I saw it in the distance at one point stumbling around). I presume the initial quest chain leads you there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Stanley Pain posted:

On KR servers costumes cost 60-80$. And there are people who have 10 or more, it's matter of adjusting your thinking about it. If you would be buying irl outfit for that much it would be ok, even if you would end up wearing it once or twice. Just because something is virtual doesn't mean it should have virtual value.

:yikes:

I guess the difference is if I buy something IRL...it's... the real world.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

IMO, you should play a class that you find fun rather than what people say is good

I picked berserker because it seems fun to me to wrestle / throw mans

Yeah i think i'm finally gonna play a game for fun instead of for sperg.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

I think i'm gonna play a tamer even tho everyone i've talked to says they're bad. I want to feed people to my wolf.

I've been thinking of playing tamer as well. Still undecided but I liked the feel of it from what I've played.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I like being a Warrior. Sometimes I hit things with my sword, sometimes I bash things with my shield, sometimes I use my kickfoot attack and do the damage that way.

I spent an hour trying to perfect my character's haircut. This is a good game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Loose Ifer posted:

I think i'm gonna play a tamer even tho everyone i've talked to says they're bad. I want to feed people to my wolf.
Some day, you'll also have staff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYOawa6fhJk

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

lurksion posted:

OK, haven't gotten over there yet (I think I saw it in the distance at one point stumbling around). I presume the initial quest chain leads you there?

Yah. Your black spirit guys pretty much sends you that way.

Kimsemus posted:

I like being a Warrior. Sometimes I hit things with my sword, sometimes I bash things with my shield, sometimes I use my kickfoot attack and do the damage that way.

I spent an hour trying to perfect my character's haircut. This is a good game.

I am really enjoying this combo
S LMB
S F
W LMB

if the float goes off, and the flying kick hits, massive damage, followed by ground damage.
If the float fails, gently caress it, grab the thing, throw it to the ground.

Also it took me forever to realize blocking once gives you a 10 second defense buff on top of the blocking.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill figure out combos later on all I know right now is my bersker guy I headbutt people and jump and hit people with my axe and I power bomb them and stomp them

and then they die

and if its a big monster I occasionally sidestep

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimsemus posted:

:yikes:

I guess the difference is if I buy something IRL...it's... the real world.

Maybe when you live in the black desert you feel more alive.

When you log out, it feels like you are dreaming.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Behold! My first crafted boat, the HMS Twiggy.

She may be ugly, and slow as gently caress, but she's mine. :allears:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I got answers to most of that, and velia is the tutorial town with all the answers in quest form, but it is a lot of poo poo I don't wanna type. If you end up in the CTS mumble I'll explain it.
The conversation thing is never quite clear even after they explain it. I understand trying to run around collecting conversation topics to be able to score points but actually figuring out what to choose in the conversation is some sort of mathematical guess and check nightmare

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Behold! My first crafted boat, the HMS Twiggy.

She may be ugly, and slow as gently caress, but she's mine. :allears:

Hey there Boat Buddy
U.S.S Archeage rip cbt1

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

CrashCat posted:

The conversation thing is never quite clear even after they explain it. I understand trying to run around collecting conversation topics to be able to score points but actually figuring out what to choose in the conversation is some sort of mathematical guess and check nightmare

That was the only topic I don't have answers on yet. I need to test that out more, but currently testing farming to see how bad it would be to get the better health pots.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Eonwe posted:

ill figure out combos later on all I know right now is my bersker guy I headbutt people and jump and hit people with my axe and I power bomb them and stomp them

and then they die

and if its a big monster I occasionally sidestep

My zerker combo goes like this: F F F F F F F F F F F F F F RMB

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I hate that fireballs can only be cast by Gandalf or Girl of Questionable Age. But they're fun to shoot. The ice spell is less impressive but I'm level 9 so nothing is impressive right now.

This game has Fun Potential.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I saw a middle-aged Chinese wizard yesterday

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jackard posted:

I saw a middle-aged Chinese wizard yesterday
There's a new greeter at Walmart?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
For some reason all the younger wizards look Chinese

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
So did they remedy most of the issues people had with the KR client, or is that still to be seen?

I couldn't manage to get my hands on a beta key to see for myself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I AFK fished for an hour on the Velia docks (which showed exhausted) and got a Beltfish

no reason not to get your Master Baiter title

just go to Velia and AFK fish when you go to bed and post the screenshot

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I normally play a mage-type in games but man the wizard/witch robe outfits really aren't doing it for me.

So far I've played a ranger up until level 15 or so. I did a ton of quests in Veilla(sp) until it was junking up my limited inventory and I decided I'd just do other stuff instead. I like how many different systems of things there are but I also don't really understand any of them. Crafting seems like too much of a pain in the rear end.

The combat seems cool but I never took the time to learn exactly what I'm doing or how to use the skills I've picked up so I just strafe around auto-evasive shotting which kills everything anyway. I guess that's what people meant with ranger being boring but without having played another class I have nothing to compare it to.

Also disappointed that none of my equipment seems to be reflected in the game itself. BDO is not much of a dress-up simulator, huh? 15 levels in and I look exactly like I did when I started playing.

---

As for the conversation system, you do it to unlock random buffs or quests... I think. When you start a conversation it'll tell you a goal above (like interest them 5x in a row, simply have a conversation, fail to interest them, or a bunch of other stuff) and then you have to try to complete that goal to earn affinity. When I was doing it with the merchant one of the quests gets you to practice it on I ran up against goals that I had no hope of completing, so I'm curious if you can "level up" your conversation skills or the topics you can use or what. No idea. It really could do with more of a tutorial.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hope as I level up there's more chances for combat to be poppin' off.

Cause man, when combat pops off it's super awesome. The game excels at multi-target combat and you're so mobile it's awesome to take on just hordes and hordes of dudes. But I don't feel in all that much danger right now, although I'm only level 15 and just got the quest that gave me a donkey.

That I then named Eugene and leveled up 3 times getting to my house where I could read books for a goddamn hour if I wanted. Honestly this game's pretty neat, but as someone who doesn't really like PvP all that much and loves the combat, I hope there's some places where mobs start to get more powerful and fights get real crazy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fun with farming.
http://imgur.com/a/pVDRr

You have to be online for farming to work.

You can pick your plant or get seeds from it. Better seeds take longer. I am not sure if it would raise faster with better seeds and time or the shorter seeds.

But the whole weather dynamic and carpentry add on to farming looks neat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Most tiers of gameplay have armor that looks the same minus one thing.

Each tier looks different though. The armor changes look once you get to Heidel.

EDIT: most of the armor dress up is done through the cash shop though
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/3r7p5g/gallery_korean_armor_sets_links_inside

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fun with farming.
http://imgur.com/a/pVDRr

You have to be online for farming to work.

You can pick your plant or get seeds from it. Better seeds take longer. I am not sure if it would raise faster with better seeds and time or the shorter seeds.

But the whole weather dynamic and carpentry add on to farming looks neat.

For those who are interested, here is what sounds like a decent beginner's farming guide. I have not tried this yet myself but it sounds fun. The only issue seems to be that some plants take several hours to grow and you have to be online for that timer to tick. You also have to do things like fend off birds and insects. I read elsewhere that in game messages appear when your farm needs tending. Some people have suggested parking alts at your farm so that you can log into them briefly and take care of business instead of travelling back to your farm to tend to it.

http://blackdesertfoundry.com/2015/05/03/farming/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so far I actually like what I've gotten to play of the game even if they punish open world PvP

I can even look past that if we can manage to get some of that castle PvP or node PvP or whatever

hell, if we could just make a guild or two hate us and war dec them I'd be fine with that

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Most tiers of gameplay have armor that looks the same minus one thing.

Each tier looks different though. The armor changes look once you get to Heidel.

EDIT: most of the armor dress up is done through the cash shop though
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/3r7p5g/gallery_korean_armor_sets_links_inside

Thanks for the link. I did figure that was the case considering the character creator didn't have too many different outfits to preview.

Which is a shame. I love dressup in my games and you'd think with such an intense character creator (too much for me, personally - wish there were more presets I could then modify, because as it is all the fiddly bits were too boring/daunting to bother much with) they'd have something more fun in the clothes department.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Clocks posted:

wish there were more presets I could then modify, because as it is all the fiddly bits were too boring/daunting to bother much with

You can download presets from here and then import them through the character creator.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

You can download presets from here and then import them through the character creator.

Yeah, that's actually what I ended up doing for my ranger. I just meant in the actual creator itself.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Good news everybody!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So potions may be an issue for some people at some point.

3 vegetables / grains / potatoes and 1 mineral water from the inn keeper will get you grain juice, like 5 or 8 of them. It may also get you concentrated grain juice.

You can make concentrated grain juice from farming higher quality stuff, but there seems to be little point to do that except to save energy but spend more time. You can mix lower tiers of grain juice together to get higher tiers.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Good news everybody!

can you add an explanation to that pic for the corea-impaired

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sure, there is a tool tip that reads "CTRL: Share a location with a guild member" and then a bunch of locations spammed when people noticed you could spam your guild members with different locations. Each location is a giant beam of light on the map and in the world.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sure, there is a tool tip that reads "CTRL: Share a location with a guild member" and then a bunch of locations spammed when people noticed you could spam your guild members with different locations. Each location is a giant beam of light on the map and in the world.

good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

second game changer

processing is high enough I can mix either 3 grain juice for 1 concentrated grain juice using 1 energy or 50 grain juice and 1 sugar making 20 concentrated grain juice for 1 energy

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
my sneaky anime sakura blossom ghillie suit

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

That... That's beautiful. Please take a picture of the world with the sky blasted to poo poo with lasers

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm just having fun body checkin goons in town. Saw one goon guild finished the fishing minigame. Uh... good job?

(Autorun between towns turns this into TACKLESPORT: MMO)

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Got my beltfish

Is there some trick to this? I've been fishing in the area in that picture they posted, and nothing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

exser posted:

Is there some trick to this? I've been fishing in the area in that picture they posted, and nothing so far.

The trick is to suffer for a long time. Or fish while literally AFK.