Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kaja Rainbow posted:

The English terms are easier for me to remember, though. And a good number of them actually have meanings attached to their names, like Cultivator and Junior/Senior Brother/Uncle/Aunt.

I was actually wondering about something somewhat related to this. Are Japanese names and terms generally easier for native English speakers to remember than Chinese or Korean ones? Since I took Japanese classes before ever being exposed to anime or manga I don't really know if Japanese is just intrinsically easier to deal with from an English-speaking perspective or if my own experiences are colored by having a bunch of exposure to Japanese.

My guess is that Japanese actually is a bit easier to deal with (especially with names), mainly because its pronunciation is very straight-forward and more or less what you would expect from the same words/letters being written in English (as opposed to Chinese or Korean where the correct pronunciation is often very different from the way you'd normally pronounce the letters in English; one good example is the way "Zhou" in Chinese is pronounced more like "Jou" or something).

Arkeus posted:

Another thing it does that I love is that it has a truly "Genius disciple" who is the best friend of the MC, and it's not "Yeah, he is a genius but MC is totally better anyway", it's "OK, this guy is a real genius". It's refreshing to have other characters have some agency and relevance sometime :)

One funny thing I often notice when people are discussing various "nerd media" like anime/manga/LNs/whatever (but especially LNs) is that bad tropes are so incredibly common that the mere absence of them becomes considered a selling point. Like, in the example you give there's nothing intrinsically good about having someone other than the MC have agency; it's more that having only the MC have agency is something that is usually directly a bad thing.

The same thing applies to some of the stuff I said about the chapters of Ascendance of a Bookworm that I've read. The fact that it has writing that isn't transparently bad, a female MC, and lacks a bunch of other dumb tropes associated with the more blatant wish-fulfilment of other LNs (not being born with ridiculous abilities, no harem stuff, etc) aren't really good things; they just mean that it crosses the starting line of potentially not being bad. But because of the nature of the industry these are things that are still definitely worth mentioning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

On the other hand, reading brother or sister in every line of dialog is pretty annoying, while it feels a little less annoying as -ge/jie because I'm used to hearing that in chinese. Most of the time honorifics can be dropped without losing anything, but it seems most translators either leave it in chinese/japanese or translate it every time.
Sometimes trying to translate too much is a problem, translating -ge/jie to English can make things a bit long winded and awkward, but it doesn't fundamentally detract from the translation. Trying to translate the various third person self addresses instead of just leaving it as "I" is just so loving bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, recently in moonlight sculptor it has become clear that Weed isn't really a special snowflake with unique quests just for him. He got access to his epic class quest very early and stumbled on to the main world storyline quest. Everyone who plays that game has access to their own respective epic quest, it is just normally tied to skill proficiency. He got all those ridiculous sculpting powers much earlier than he was supposed to due to sequence breaking, is all.

It is still a very silly story, but at least it tries to justify some of the more ridiculous events.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Serious Frolicking posted:

You know, recently in moonlight sculptor it has become clear that Weed isn't really a special snowflake with unique quests just for him. He got access to his epic class quest very early and stumbled on to the main world storyline quest. Everyone who plays that game has access to their own respective epic quest, it is just normally tied to skill proficiency. He got all those ridiculous sculpting powers much earlier than he was supposed to due to sequence breaking, is all.

It is still a very silly story, but at least it tries to justify some of the more ridiculous events.

It was actually when that story had the detour into his irl college experience that I stopped being able to deal with him as a protaganist and had to drop lms

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

UberJew posted:

It was actually when that story had the detour into his irl college experience that I stopped being able to deal with him as a protaganist and had to drop lms

It's a whole lot easier to read if you treat the whole thing as satire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

UberJew posted:

I can't blame you. While the game stuff has become more tolerable, Seo-Yoon has somehow become even worse.

Still better than Ark, of course. Goddamn, Ark is terrible.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Who actually calls their siblings "brother" or "sister" to their faces in a non-ironic manner? The means by which someone is addressed is a linguistic and cultural feature, and it really bothers me when it's translated straight instead of localized to whatever the target language uses.

(TL note: Oniisama means brother)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Liquid Snake.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

I'm not sure whether I love or hate you for this, but whenever I read a character saying brother a lot, they'll turn into Cam Clarke now.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Replace all instances of brother or sister with comrade :ussr:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

read light novel protagonists in hulk hogan's voice

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

blastron posted:

Who actually calls their siblings "brother" or "sister" to their faces in a non-ironic manner? The means by which someone is addressed is a linguistic and cultural feature, and it really bothers me when it's translated straight instead of localized to whatever the target language uses.

(TL note: Oniisama means brother)

The best is when they use Bro and Sis instead. We don't commonly use Sis and Bro has a completely different meaning when used today, yet people insist that that it works well. No it doesn't.

(TL note: Bro is short for Brother, Sis is short for Sister)

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Leaving honorifics or forms of address untranslated has never bothered me because it often gives you an idea of of the interpersonal relationships between characters. How familiar they are with each other or where they fall into the relative social hierarchy (since that's such a huge deal in Asian cultures that it has to be mentioned at every opportunity).

What actually bothers me is the more subtle difference in word choice or how things are described. For example, I've seen this scenario played out in many different anime/manga/LNs:

Protagonist is talking to someone of much higher rank (king or whomever) and says something in formal speech.

King responds with something like "It must be difficult to speak so formally, just speak casually."

Now, given that scenario, no english speaker would ever use the word 'difficult', they would say 'annoying' or 'tedious' or 'too stuffy'. I know I've seen that exact word used numerous times in exactly that way so I don't know if that's a literal translation or has multiple meanings but I assume that word choice would be common to a Japanese person. However, saying 'difficult' makes it sound like the protagonist is physically incapable of using formal speech like it's a tongue twister or something. It implies that they can't use it, not that they don't want to which feels closer to the intent of the author even it's not a literal translation.

Like I said, it's a subtle problem and most translators don't have the fluency needed in both languages to use appropriate substitutions that convey the intent or spirit of the work when localized.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

organism posted:

Leaving honorifics or forms of address untranslated has never bothered me because it often gives you an idea of of the interpersonal relationships between characters. How familiar they are with each other or where they fall into the relative social hierarchy (since that's such a huge deal in Asian cultures that it has to be mentioned at every opportunity).

What actually bothers me is the more subtle difference in word choice or how things are described. For example, I've seen this scenario played out in many different anime/manga/LNs:

Protagonist is talking to someone of much higher rank (king or whomever) and says something in formal speech.

King responds with something like "It must be difficult to speak so formally, just speak casually."

Now, given that scenario, no english speaker would ever use the word 'difficult', they would say 'annoying' or 'tedious' or 'too stuffy'. I know I've seen that exact word used numerous times in exactly that way so I don't know if that's a literal translation or has multiple meanings but I assume that word choice would be common to a Japanese person. However, saying 'difficult' makes it sound like the protagonist is physically incapable of using formal speech like it's a tongue twister or something. It implies that they can't use it, not that they don't want to which feels closer to the intent of the author even it's not a literal translation.

Like I said, it's a subtle problem and most translators don't have the fluency needed in both languages to use appropriate substitutions that convey the intent or spirit of the work when localized.

It can certainly be a literal "difficult" in some circumstances. The only real example I can think of at the moment is something that dear Blastron will have to deal with sooner or later, where in Ascendance of a Bookworm the main characters grow up in a worker slum, only ever hearing casual speech. Yet as they move upward in society, they inevitably bump into people of a higher social class, and are forced to learn more formal speech. In the beginning a character only has a very vague idea of what this sounds like, so he randomly adds "desu" between words to make it seem polite. Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than that to be properly formal in Japanese (and this fictional world), and so begins a long education in high society behaviour.

Unsurprisingly, speaking to monarchs adds yet another layer of required politeness, and it's one that the common man exceedingly rarely encounters, with an entirely new set of verbs and whatnot, in addition to the stress of offending an absolute ruler by accidentally using a misplaced prefix to declare yourself more important than him.

So, well, there's some difficulty in struggling with unfamiliar vocabulary, if you haven't grown up in the right environment. That said, there are many situations where they really just mean that it's tiresome.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I am super super enjoying Xanxia Farmville. Even the mtl is incredibly readable and the pace/protagonist seem pretty great (so far, please no rape power ups).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The latest My Disciple is great.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
When is it never great? It's calling out all the rear end in a top hat behaviors of characters in the Xianxia genre. In fact, the big reveal of the overarching plot revolves around how being a dick is loving over the entire universe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

read light novel protagonists in hulk hogan's voice

Read the token imouto character in the voice of macho man randy savage

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Read the token imouto character in the voice of macho man randy savage

Ohhh yeaaaa(nichan).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I tried reading peerless martial god a while back but gave up because it was boring and dumb. That was a huge mistake. It is still boring and dumb, but it is stdh in wuxia form. The mc keeps giving all of these long, whiny and incredibly hypocritical speeches and then everyone present essentially stands up and claps. Then he generally murders one or more people who can't fight back and everyone stands and claps again while talking about how the mc is the smartest and most talented person to ever live. I find that to be incredibly funny and it has yet to get old.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

I tried reading peerless martial god a while back but gave up because it was boring and dumb. That was a huge mistake. It is still boring and dumb, but it is stdh in wuxia form. The mc keeps giving all of these long, whiny and incredibly hypocritical speeches and then everyone present essentially stands up and claps. Then he generally murders one or more people who can't fight back and everyone stands and claps again while talking about how the mc is the smartest and most talented person to ever live. I find that to be incredibly funny and it has yet to get old.

The infuriating thing about Peerless Martial God is that it comes so close. It's self-aware enough to point out that, maybe, murdering absolutely anyone who doesn't abjectly debase themselves the instant they lay eyes on you isn't a good plan for long term survival since you're, statistically, bound to piss off someone stronger. However, that only applies to anyone who isn't the protagonist. Just the fact that it's actually internally aware that this attitude is hosed up is a step above most other Xianxia but instead of the protagonist having some kind of epiphany about being kind or forgiveness or whatever he just decides the only way to survive is to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than everyone else. Which, really, is logical given the encounters he's had and the social contracts of the world but, obviously, the author wrote the no-room-for-negotiation antagonists solely to justify the protagonist's various murder-sprees and guarantee a fight every other chapter or so.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly I've kind of steered clear of most of the Chinese web novels mentioned in this thread because all seem to focus on murder hobos killing everyone who looks at them wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly I've kind of steered clear of most of the Chinese web novels mentioned in this thread because all seem to focus on murder hobos killing everyone who looks at them wrong.

That is probably wise. Most of them are very poorly written, and then there is how prevalent rape-based power-ups are. Though, ISSTH demonstrates that the problem with the murder hobo genre is the execution and not the premise (ISSTH owns and Meng Hao is the best murder hobo).

On an unrelated subject, today's chapter of kumoko was very funny.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

meng hao is more of a murder moses atm

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
If you don't like your main characters being murderhobos, then read My Disciple Died Again. It's a story of a person in a Xianxia setting yet manages to keep her sensibilities from our world. In fact, you can say that she is the anti-murderhobo.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Though navigating the translators site is a pain because there is usually a long delay between a chapter upload and it being linked to properly.

I end up just skipping through the other story uploads now to find the next disciple chapter since it seems to alternate them

Comic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 27, 2016

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
Novelupdates links them as well.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Novelupdates is a super useful tool that everyone should be using, especially in the case of bad websites like the translator for My Disciple.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

I just refresh this page.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

meng hao is more of a murder moses atm

More like murder Lupin III. I think my favorite recent moment is when he's frantically removing the shingles from the houses in the immortal land.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The funny part is how originally, Meng Hao wasn't inclined to steal at all. But the wooden sword gave him a taste and then patriarch reliance drove him over the edge. Now he sometimes even steals from people who haven't tried to screw him over first.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The funny part is how originally, Meng Hao wasn't inclined to steal at all. But the wooden sword gave him a taste and then patriarch reliance drove him over the edge. Now he sometimes even steals from people who haven't tried to screw him over first.

If they wanted to keep the roofs on their houses they should have used better nails or cheaper shingles.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I powered through all of Gifting this Wonderful World with Blessings (which is getting animated right now) over a day because holy poo poo it's so good. The translation being in almost perfect english beyond some weird obsession with translating ねえ as "Nah" helped a lot too.

Too bad it got DMCAed, but at least there's some really good fanfic of it. :v:

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

The translation being in almost perfect english beyond some weird obsession with translating ねえ as "Nah" helped a lot too.

The day I realized I had started treating "has decent English" as a bonus instead of a requirement was really depressing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Meng Hao, no. Find someone, anyone else to use as a role model.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

around meng hao, how dares to cause strife?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

around meng hao, how dares to cause strife?

From my experience with the novel so far? Pretty much everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

filthychimp posted:

Novelupdates is a super useful tool that everyone should be using, especially in the case of bad websites like the translator for My Disciple.

Wow, awesome, thanks. Apparently like 20+ more chapters of "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu" have been translated than I realized (the one where a girl is reincarnated as the antagonist in a shoujo story).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

Wow, awesome, thanks. Apparently like 20+ more chapters of "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu" have been translated than I realized (the one where a girl is reincarnated as the antagonist in a shoujo story).

there's at least four that meet that description, one of which is also translated by the same site as kenkyo kenjitsu

at least because that's the number on my reading list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
There's not enough of super robot LN. Giant robot is love (thanks a lot Yoshi-P), so have some giant robot love.

• Locked thread