Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Well, it wasn't a coincidence when I ordered it, but then it sat in my "fountain pen stuff" bin, waiting for me to get ready to try new ink, so I forgot all the context when I finally used it.

Also, the pen dried out for a moment when I was using it again. I am noticing flow problems with Noodler's ink. First, Bay State Blue was giving me grief, and now Antietam. The base pilot blue-black was never a problem.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, they're only like 1 mL. But A) that's more than any converter that fits in your Metro and B) you should get 8-12 full pages of writing out of one fill.

I feel like there's a niche business in here making resealable cartridges and converters for them. I mean, it's fine for me to refill a Pilot Metropolitan cartridge over the sink and then shove it into the pen. It's another thing to want to pack it up as a spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel like there's a niche business in here making resealable cartridges and converters for them. I mean, it's fine for me to refill a Pilot Metropolitan cartridge over the sink and then shove it into the pen. It's another thing to want to pack it up as a spare.

Somebody upthread mentioned reusing the little plastic disc, pulling it out to refill then shoving it back in with a chopstick or something to seal it up. Haven't tried it myself -- I just keep some new ones on hand if I need to take ink anywhere. I've also seen people talk about resealing carts with hot glue and various other substances.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Everything Burrito posted:

Somebody upthread mentioned reusing the little plastic disc, pulling it out to refill then shoving it back in with a chopstick or something to seal it up. Haven't tried it myself -- I just keep some new ones on hand if I need to take ink anywhere. I've also seen people talk about resealing carts with hot glue and various other substances.

It seems too delicate to me. I had pondered the hot glue, but I don't trust myself to transport that. I am thinking of something with a screw or pop top that you can stick on the rear end of the cartridge inside the pen while you're using it, but then can go back on top when you have it out for transportation. I might get a favor from a friend who 3d prints and just do a few.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It seems too delicate to me. I had pondered the hot glue, but I don't trust myself to transport that. I am thinking of something with a screw or pop top that you can stick on the rear end of the cartridge inside the pen while you're using it, but then can go back on top when you have it out for transportation. I might get a favor from a friend who 3d prints and just do a few.

You can get a converter and use the sample bottle? It is very small and if you can empty 5 or 6 refills, 40 pages, a day you need other measures anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Refill one cartridge, keep one unopened cartridge for an emergency backup. Pilot cartridges are incredibly robust, you don't need to worry about them wearing out or breaking with normal usage. I've been using the same refilled cartridge in one of my pens for close to three years at this point and it still seals up perfectly.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I used to refill my Shaeffer cartridges and seal them with a piece of scotch tape.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I bought a 50 mL bottle of Lamy red off Amazon (probably while drunk to hit free shipping on something else stupid) without trying it out first. I'm out of red samples and I like making notes in red with my red pen.

I've got a Konrad with a Goulet Broad nib in it. Any advice on tuning it and/or turning it into an eyedropper? I tried Googling it but didn't get anything useful, just Konrad reviews. I've been yanking the whole feed out and filling it with a syringe since all I've had so far in red are sample vials and filling from those normally just doesn't really work. I'm thinking I can set the feed better and fill it normally with an actual bottle of ink.

I just want big fat red notes on stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Konrad is a piston filler right? Why not just use that?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, the konrad is the piston filler. The Ahab is the one with the captive piston/converter thing that you can turn into an eye dropper. With the Konrad you already fill the barrel with ink so it's kind of a moot point.

With the Konrad, the piston knob is under a blind cap on the end of the pen:

With the Ahab, you can remove the captive piston and move the o-ring from the end of where it seals down to where the barrel meets the section when you screw it on to make an eyedropper pen:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Guys, guys. I think I may have a problem

I mean, I don't even have a different ink for every pen :ohdear:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Yeah you better fix that poo poo real quick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grack posted:

Guys, guys. I think I may have a problem

What kind of Rotring is that?

Also, thoughts on Noodler's Nib Creaper? I'm interested in a pen with a flexible nib but I dunno where to start.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

What kind of Rotring is that?

Esprit. Nib is a PITA because I can't get it out of the collar to properly smooth it.

Sagebrush posted:

Also, thoughts on Noodler's Nib Creaper? I'm interested in a pen with a flexible nib but I dunno where to start.

Noodler's pens can be a lot of fun but they often show up with issues. Basically if you're comfortable tinkering with your pens you'll be fine. You could also check out some of the Indian made Fountain Pen Revolution pens as they can just about all be purchased with flex nibs installed.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Because you can't really get a sample to suck up with the piston? Now that I've got a whole bottle, that shouldn't be a problem. I'll just stick with that then.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even with a whole bottle I usually pull the nib and fill mine like you were doing since I don't like sticking the pen down into the ink bottles.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just reused a Pilot Metro cartridge by filling it with a sample of Noodler's Antietam. First, those cartridges really don't hold much, do they? My sample vial could probably fill 5 cartridges or more.

Second, this ink really is morbid. I filled out some medical paperwork with it. Then I saw the a bloody tissue in the trash and wondered how that happened. It had been from cleaning up and dabbing the pen to get the water out after refilling. I realized I just filled out a New Patient form with something that looks like dried blood.

:unsmigghh:

grack posted:

Given the prices on Mont Blanc pens the nibs better be spectacular, regardless of where they're purchased.

After getting my Starwalker, I didn't touch another pen for three weeks. But, given :montblanc: quality control, ymmv.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Hello pen people, looking at getting a fountain pen to see if it might go someway towards fixing my god awful and near illegible hand writing. Recently I got a cheap 0.7mm Papermate grip roller, which is not an amazing pen or anything but I find I can write far better with it, it just has all the qualities I like in a pen. The ink flows out super easily (for a ball point pen anyway), it comes out very thick and it's reasonably hefty (but not too hefty).

I was looking at the Pilot metropolitan medium of course and it looks like an awesome pen, but it is definitely too fine. Could you guys recommend something similar that is reasonably thicker? I'd be willing to spend around $40 or so.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

krampster2 posted:

Hello pen people, looking at getting a fountain pen to see if it might go someway towards fixing my god awful and near illegible hand writing. Recently I got a cheap 0.7mm Papermate grip roller, which is not an amazing pen or anything but I find I can write far better with it, it just has all the qualities I like in a pen. The ink flows out super easily (for a ball point pen anyway), it comes out very thick and it's reasonably hefty (but not too hefty).

I was looking at the Pilot metropolitan medium of course and it looks like an awesome pen, but it is definitely too fine. Could you guys recommend something similar that is reasonably thicker? I'd be willing to spend around $40 or so.

If you're looking for a broader line width, European Mediums tend to run slightly broader than the Japanese equivalents: Check out the Lamy Safari Medium and Broad nibs, along with the TWSBI Eco Medium and Broad. Both are great pens.

The Goulet Nib Nook is probably the best tool for apples to apples comparison between brands: http://www.gouletpens.com/nib-nook

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

krampster2 posted:

fountain pen to see if it might go someway towards fixing my god awful and near illegible hand writing.

I feel like the pen is probably not the problem and wont fix your handwriting anymore than making a conscious effort to write clearly.

That being said my Lamy Safari is a wonderful pen to write with so I would say look at those.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

krampster2 posted:

Faber Castell Loom is a good choice, it has the smoothest nib in thicknesses you want for the price.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I bought a Faber Castell Basic: the medium line is slightly thicker than a pilot Metro medium. FCs fines probably match a pilot medium.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ZeusCannon posted:

I feel like the pen is probably not the problem and wont fix your handwriting anymore than making a conscious effort to write clearly.

i can vouch for this

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I found it improved my writing significantly by forcing me to slow down and not press hard.

I also started off with a fat stub nib tho

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Have any of you ordered through Engeika before? I placed my first order with them about a week ago and haven't received any shipping info yet; that feels like a little bit too long of a delay.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What's the go-to for learning to write with an italic nib? I got one to try it out, but it's not really noticeable with my normal handwriting, so I want to change that at least a little bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I learned to write in elementary school with a Sheaffer NoNonsense with an italic F nib. I still have my original pen from close to twenty years ago and it still works great reloaded with Heart of Darkness. I don't like the Sheaffer cartridge mounting system very much. It's strange -- you put the cartridge in the pen body and reassemble, and the feed punctures a hole in the end of the cartridge as you screw it down. I suspect that it's more prone to leaking than other methods but eh, it works, and I don't remember staining my clothes as a kid. The screw-on cap is nice and the pen is very light and durable (all plastic). You can probably get one on eBay really cheap because they're basically student pens.

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferNoNonsense.htm

I don't think they make the actual NoNonsense any more, but the Viewpoint looks like something similar.

Learn a nice chancery italic -- that's what I had to use in school.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 19, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I should probably make it more clear that I bought a Lamy 1.1 italic nib and stuck it on my Safari, so I have the pen, I'm more looking for a preferred method.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, okay. Learn a different script, one that makes the lineweight variations more apparent.

This is essentially what I learned, and what I still use when I'm writing "nicely":

It can be written semi-cursive if you make some minor changes (e.g. the lowercase e needs to be written in two strokes, so you skip the second stroke and go back to fill it in later like dotting an i)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 19, 2016

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

Have any of you ordered through Engeika before? I placed my first order with them about a week ago and haven't received any shipping info yet; that feels like a little bit too long of a delay.

Engeika can be hit or miss. A couple of orders for ink went fine. The last order had a pen in it, and though it was marked as "in-stock" on the web site, he didn't really have it in stock and couldn't get it. I didn't want any of the replacements he offered and I had to really complain to get the order cancelled. I've read similar stories for others; in every case I saw, though, the person eventually ended up with what they ordered or a refund.

The prices are very tempting.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations, ordered a Lamy safari with a broad nib.

I'm not so much thinking that the pen will directly improve my writing with its mechanics or anything, more that it will get me more interested in writing which will then in turn make me pay more attention when writing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My ink order from Engeika showed up today, but I have to go pick it up from the post office. I don't think I got an e-mail from them, and it was 2 weeks from placing the order to it showing up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wow--I can't believe anybody would really be using fountain pens as a kid. Maybe my folks didn't have any faith in me. I just assumed recently I should try them because I always preferred the more expensive disposable gel pans that shat out ink like nobody's business. Fountain pens pretty much do that for me perfectly.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

mikeycp posted:

What's the go-to for learning to write with an italic nib? I got one to try it out, but it's not really noticeable with my normal handwriting, so I want to change that at least a little bit.

I've been working my way through this book as a way to improve my general hand: http://www.amazon.com/Italic-Way-Be...ed+eager+italic

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow--I can't believe anybody would really be using fountain pens as a kid. Maybe my folks didn't have any faith in me. I just assumed recently I should try them because I always preferred the more expensive disposable gel pans that shat out ink like nobody's business. Fountain pens pretty much do that for me perfectly.

We learned to write in ink with fountain pens when I was in junior school (so pre-9 years old), and it was very common for schools in the UK for kids aged 8-9 to be writing with fountain pens in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm still a fan of the Parker Vector because it was the pen I grew up writing with. Dug out the one I used throughout senior school last night, washed it out, and loaded it with Diamine Oxblood. Still writes like a dream.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

DigitalRaven posted:

We learned to write in ink with fountain pens when I was in junior school (so pre-9 years old), and it was very common for schools in the UK for kids aged 8-9 to be writing with fountain pens in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm still a fan of the Parker Vector because it was the pen I grew up writing with. Dug out the one I used throughout senior school last night, washed it out, and loaded it with Diamine Oxblood. Still writes like a dream.

I think I'll ask around locally what goes on with this stuff. I know a guy from Pakistan that was using fountain pens as a kid. Meanwhile, I was in some school district running on austerity for my entire junior-to-senior high school years that I don't recall mentioning them once. I would figure at least one teacher would have ranted about it at least once.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of the cheaper fountain pens are student pens, i.e. made for schoolchildren. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Everything Burrito posted:

A lot of the cheaper fountain pens are student pens, i.e. made for schoolchildren. :v:

Well sure, but did any schoolchildren even use them? I'm just so perplexed. I think I only ever saw a fountain pen in use once in my life. I think one kid got one was a gift in elementary school, tried use it, and it completely exploded on them.

Actually, I remember a lot of exploded pens, and I couldn't figure out how you do that with a cheap-rear end roller ball. Were they all using grown-up pens and I never realized it?

I have literally never handled a fountain pen until I bought some thanks to this thread. That probably goes a long ways towards explaining how I demolished the cartridges that came with it by shoving the converter into them.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well sure, but did any schoolchildren even use them? I'm just so perplexed. I think I only ever saw a fountain pen in use once in my life. I think one kid got one was a gift in elementary school, tried use it, and it completely exploded on them.

Actually, I remember a lot of exploded pens, and I couldn't figure out how you do that with a cheap-rear end roller ball. Were they all using grown-up pens and I never realized it?

I have literally never handled a fountain pen until I bought some thanks to this thread. That probably goes a long ways towards explaining how I demolished the cartridges that came with it by shoving the converter into them.

America seems to have switched to a #2 pencil-or-bust mentality for at least grade school, probably because of our hard-on for standardized testing.

I don't think I was even allowed to use ANY form of pen for assignments until I got to upper middle school.

I got my first fountain pen in grad school because I was looking for something to help reduce hand cramps and fatigue and wound up with a pack of Pilot Varsities.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
In Germany it used to be (late 90s/early 2000s when I went to school) and iirc still is standard that primary school children must use a fountain pen. This is probably the main market for Pelikanos and Lamy Al-Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Magnus Praeda posted:

America seems to have switched to a #2 pencil-or-bust mentality for at least grade school, probably because of our hard-on for standardized testing.

I don't think I was even allowed to use ANY form of pen for assignments until I got to upper middle school.

I got my first fountain pen in grad school because I was looking for something to help reduce hand cramps and fatigue and wound up with a pack of Pilot Varsities.

That's weird. Crayons and markers aside, we had to use pencils through third grade, presumably because they're: a) actually erasable, b) cheap, c) low maintenance. By 4th grade, we were allowed to use "erasable pens." These are not particularly erasable, but obviously more-so than a regular ballpoint pen. After grade school, nobody really cared what you wrote with, so long as it wasn't like, yellow.

Of course, by 2000ish, everything was expected to be typed, so throughout highschool absolutely nobody cared what you wrote with, since they probably weren't going to see it anyway. Although I do remember my school handbook having guidelines for paper submissions. They required cursive or typewriting, and I'm pretty sure that no teacher would've accepted a handwritten essay by that point anyway.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Bending a ballpoint pen a bunch is a pretty good way to get the drat thing to explode. Nobody treats a lovely papermate with any sort of decency, so yes of course they'll explode after a few months crammed in a backpack under like 20lb. of textbooks and left next to the heater. Presumably rollerballs/gel pens would have the same issues, except they tend to have sturdier bodies than a papermate — even those dirt-common bic crystals do, really.

I feel like student fountain pens, so far as America is concerned, went away around the same time as dip pens at the post office, because those disposable pens are mostly cleaner, absolutely cheaper, and you won't need to refill them ever, much less every couple of days.