Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a story about a ball and a lot of letters also I haven't seen a 'narrated by' for some time now:

Bill Cobbs's face in the back here is killing me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Young Freud posted:

Don't forgot that at least one of them owns exclusive apartment buildings in New York where celebrities have been known to die in and that fact hasn't detracted from business.

That would likely be very good for business

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Palpek posted:

Bill Cobbs's face in the back here is killing me:

I'm used to faces looking estranged from their bodies on bad posters, but every limb and extremity here seems pasted from somewhere else. Look at her feet!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Stuff like this blows my mind because it would take 8 seconds while filming to snap a picture like this in front of a green screen.

Or, just hear me out, they could hire someone who knows how to use photoshop.

How could you think this uncanny valley mess would attract people to see your movie?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

They asked her but she said no.
I wonder what that phone call must have been like.

"So we're doing a revival of Full Ho...hello? Hello?"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wonder what that phone call must have been like.

"So we're doing a revival of Full Ho...hello? Hello?"

"Listen, we've been trying to reach Mr. DiCaprio all day I don't know if this is the correct person I should be speaking with but we are doing a revival of Growing Pains, Kirk Cameron and Traci Gold are both in and- hello? Hello?"

"Mr. Clooney, I'm sorry to bother you between basketball games on the Warner lot but I've been trying for weeks to reach you about a project you'll definitely want to hear about see we're putting a Facts of Life reu- hey hey let go of me don't touch me! I've got a day pass! I bought a tour! George! We've got Molly Ringwald! George!"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
For Clooney they need to make a new Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, obviously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Or, just hear me out, they could hire someone who knows how to use photoshop.

You sound like someone who has never worked as a designer in a professional capacity. The request was probably along the lines of "Here are a bunch of assets that all have different lighting sources and levels of quality. Here is your miniscule budget for stock imagery to fill in the gaps. We need it by tomorrow fyi."

This is the reason most posters are bad outside of just poor creative vision by clients/bosses, btw.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I imagine making a poster for a studio is like trying to work photoshop with one hand while 15 people hover behind you telling you different contradictory things and you have to please all of them while you constantly fight the crippling desire to drink your life away.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Stuff like this blows my mind because it would take 8 seconds while filming to snap a picture like this in front of a green screen.

This is actually way harder than you would imagine. They are rarely in the same place at the same time unless it's in front of camera.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Besides, a super-quick photo session between takes is probably going to look worse than a bad photoshop

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the grand scheme of things a poster probably doesn't make much of a difference to a film's box office earnings, so why bother?

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Also people don't really catch the type of stuff folks in this thread point out. They see these posters while walking past them at the movie theater, not scrutinizing them for proper lighting refraction and measuring the actors' limbs.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On the other hand, I walk past a bad poster, like a bizarre groupshot or a floating head and some clouds, or two white people embracing or leaning against each other, and without seeing the actors, the title, the director, or anything else I will know in that 1/16th of a second that I will never watch that movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They've turned Bates, Cobbs and Close into terrifying ventriloquist dummies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Admittedly Ive never seen the movie so maybe the tone is different.. But this doesn't seem like a movie about (book and maybe movie plot spoilers) the perspective of a child who was taught to escape from his mom's basement prison where she was held/raped for years in after getting kidnapped and going through the motions of the aftermath of being rescued. Like finally meetings the grandparents, being on a talk show, not understanding the general horror of the situation. I suppose they need to trick people into going to see something happy / cheery? Though I think it's cool the sky in the background appears to be walls of a room. It's mildly bizarre, but I appreciate the effort.

That actually is the tone of most of the movie. Yes the subject matter is extremely dark but it does have a more or less positive outlook for much of it, mostly due to Jack's perspective on things. The Room poster is possibly my favourite non-High Rise/VVitch poster of the year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Besides, a super-quick photo session between takes is probably going to look worse than a bad photoshop

And they do photo sessions on set already and they go over about as well as a destination wedding planned in under two weeks would. Especially if you have actors who don't know the drill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There are so many The Room jokes I want to make right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There are so many The Room jokes I want to make right now.

Love will tear you apart, Lisa

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I work at a movie theater and this is the one we got:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vegetable posted:

Wow that's... offensive in a way. I mean not in any political way, but in a "if you're going to plaster it with quotes, then do like most posters and just choose a different conceit." The idea that they just poo poo all over the one impactful concept of the poster with what amounts to loving graffiti is just abhorrent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vegetable posted:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Love will tear you apart, Lisa

I got the results of the test back. I definitely have rape cancer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

This will make me no allies but I always kinda like how this one looks

E: why didn't they put Yahoo's 11/10 on there????

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's pretty much the worst thing ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

I got the results of the test back. I definitely have rape cancer.

Don't worry about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're going to do pull quotes, don't make your pull quotes more prominent in your design than the title of the work.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hat Thoughts posted:

This will make me no allies but I always kinda like how this one looks

E: why didn't they put Yahoo's 11/10 on there????

it looks neat but it's also the official boxart and not a promo poster

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

feedmyleg posted:

You sound like someone who has never worked as a designer in a professional capacity. The request was probably along the lines of "Here are a bunch of assets that all have different lighting sources and levels of quality. Here is your miniscule budget for stock imagery to fill in the gaps. We need it by tomorrow fyi."

This is the reason most posters are bad outside of just poor creative vision by clients/bosses, btw.
On one hand as somebody who works in the graphic design field I agree with you about the points you made, they're definitely factors. On the other hand the designers are still either professionals and are able to deliver a good result despite the pressure (it's part of the job) or they're hacks and produce some really bad stuff. I know why that poster looks like it looks but at the same time I see some really bad photoshop work there that can only be explained by incompetence or lack of experience (that ground area). I'm not a saint myself and sure you do bad work from time to time as you have no other choice but that doesn't mean we can't laugh about it and point it out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway:

It's a furry dragon.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Palpek posted:

Anyway:

It's a furry dragon.

Holy poo poo I thought doing Escape to Witch Mountain was dredging the bottom of poo poo they can remake.

Be on the lookout for that Apple Dumpling Gang remake any day now, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Can't wait for Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes remake in the new era of computers!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rirse posted:

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes remake in the new era of computers!

The iPad Wore Yeezys.

Meanwhile, the new film from Taika Waititi

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 19, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, the new film from Taika Waititi

Sam Neil's winery must be doing horribly. :smith:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That Sam Neill poster is better than that Kathy Bates one. He still does good acting sometimes too, like with that Willem Dafoe movie a couple years ago.

Palpek posted:

Anyway:

It's a furry dragon.

That tree is either growing a head and hand or they're just floating next to it. I like the placement of the dragon though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sam Neil's winery must be doing horribly. :smith:

Actually this movie is getting pretty solid film fest acclaim from what I remember. Despite the straight to video-ness of the poster.

edit:

8.2/10·IMDb
100%·Rotten Tomatoes
76%·Metacritic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Palpek posted:

Anyway:

It's a furry dragon.

This was amazing to scroll down too.

"Huh. Fantastic Beasts poste-Auahahahah."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, the Master System had the WORST box art.