Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well while we're talking about droid slavery again...

Black Bones posted:

I may be misreading you, but it totally strengthens the droids=slaves idea. "It's above my pay-grade" is programmed into their heads, although since they are sentient, they can think their way around it.

Well, yeah that's what I meant, but when you look at:

quote:

A PROTOCOL DROID, TC-3, waits at the door to the docking bay. Two WORKER DROIDS, PK-4 and EG-9, stand in the foreground.

PK-4
Whoever it is must be important if the Viceroy sent one of those useless protocol gearheads to greet them.

The door opens, and the Republic cruiser can be seen in the docking bay. Two darkly robed figures are greeted by TC-3. They move off down the hallway.

EG-9
A Republic cruiser! That’s trouble… don’t you think?

PR-4
I’m not made to think.

And map it back onto, say, slaves from the American South, that statement becomes a little too uncomfortably close to being about black people being intellectually inferior.

Or to be more generous/realistic, about how the system of slavery tells them (/programs into them) that they are lesser and so they believe it. But that's a little too much to unpack in a one-off joke in a Star Wars scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hosed Up ...

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

feedmyleg posted:

And map it back onto, say, slaves from the American South, that statement becomes a little too uncomfortably close to being about black people being intellectually inferior.

Or to be more generous/realistic, about how the system of slavery tells them (/programs into them) that they are lesser and so they believe it. But that's a little too much to unpack in a one-off joke in a Star Wars scene.

I'd parse it the other way, actually - a minor act of rebellion by dumbly obeying orders. The droid isn't actually saying "I'm too stupid to understand the situation". It's basic not-my-job shrugging of responsibility.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The comic is pretty long but at least post the best part:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

iSheep posted:

Owns.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

feedmyleg posted:

Well while we're talking about droid slavery again...

Well, yeah that's what I meant, but when you look at:

While an exploitative system (old-timey or modern) programs us to accept superiority/inferiority designations out of necessity, any being that can think it's self around this basic programming proves it's not true. See R2-D2, Jesus of Nazareth, Karl Marx, etc.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love this crazy thread.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I never knew I needed to see this before now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

iSheep posted:

It ain't Goofy Time no more

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I can't top that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Black Bones posted:

While an exploitative system (old-timey or modern) programs us to accept superiority/inferiority designations out of necessity, any being that can think it's self around this basic programming proves it's not true. See R2-D2, Jesus of Nazareth, Karl Marx, etc.

Yeah, I agree that that's the better read of the line, but like I said, a lot to unpack as a one-off joke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I except that The Goofy Movie is canon, than Kylo Ren's arc makes a ton of sense.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

If I except that The Goofy Movie is canon, than Kylo Ren's arc makes a ton of sense.

Is Snoke Powerline?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I agree that that's the better read of the line, but like I said, a lot to unpack as a one-off joke.

Jokes like that are all over the place in Star Wars, though.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Snoke sounds an awful lot like Smoke.

Therefore it's obvious that Snoke is a secret ninja and the only way for Rey to confront him is to upper-cut Kylo on the bridge stage.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Smoke sounds like a compaction of Small Luke

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
*a skeleton droid slips on the poodoo, discharging his blaster into a ball droid's feet, who then rolls and knocks over a domino line of other droids. R2-D2 sprays oil all over the pile, causing them to slip around comically while trying to get up*

C3P0: War is hell.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Black Bones posted:

Star Wars: The Thread Awakens: See R2-D2, Jesus of Nazareth, Karl Marx, etc.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Goofy is a much better father than Han Solo

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Raxivace posted:

The book is better than The Force Awakens.
I bought the TFA novelization a week after the movie's release and started reading it since watching the movie. I finished it just a few minutes ago.

I can't think of any other Star Wars novelization that I'd consider a "slog". For most of them, I've felt a combination of excitement over "Oh yeah, I remember that scene" and "Here's a more in-depth explanation that wasn't necessary in the movie but adds to my overall immersion of the story". This book had none of the latter. It magnified all of the movie's weaknesses to me.

I view TFA as a "good" expanded universe tale. The novelization is more like a "medicore" expanded universe tale.

Neither are as good as Lost Stars.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Foster really phoned it in on this one. I thought it was awful.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Foster's adaptation basically reads as though he copied the script and then made sure everything was a complete sentence. He did absolutely nothing to take advantage of the medium.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I've been struggling to listen the TFA audiobook. I have listened to several Star Wars EU audiobooks because they're fun, exciting and don't require super deep concentration while on the go. Usually even the not-so-good ones are an ok listen. This, however, is really boring and basically just dictates the movie while adding nothing expect unneeded wordiness in the wrong places.

Amazon review that's pretty on point and funny:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2YEDS2K767DCI/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1101965495

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Foster really phoned it in on this one.

TTS and transcription technology is much better nowadays, this isn't nearly the damning accusation it used to be.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Hmm... Star Wars.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Electromax posted:

Hmm... Star Wars.

Do you like them?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Frankston posted:

Do you like them?

If they should bar wars, please let these Star Wars stay.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

homullus posted:

If they should bar wars, please let these Star Wars stay.

I understood that reference!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Star Wars Rebels

So far this is falling into the same trap Clone Wars did - it's setting things up but the writing is so poo poo and hokey. I really do hope things turn around like CW did in Season 2. Plus the CG / Animation is such a downgrade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've gotten more and more soured on Rebels over time. The entire show feels like wheel-spinning, with no clear goal in mind. It's just piddling along in an overly episodic manner, and none of the main characters except the droid are likable at all. Occasionally there's a solid episode, but even then it's usually undercut by going really goofy or over-the-top. It feels way more like a condescending kid's show than Clone Wars did.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I've gotten more and more soured on Rebels over time. The entire show feels like wheel-spinning, with no clear goal in mind.

I think that's kind of the point- like they link up with other Rebels, and then when faced with a gargantuan task of destroying the Empire it's like ???? So they mill around and do whatever comes along until they figure out a better plan. I'm pretty sure that's coming up based on the previews/spoilers.

Also I like this show it's cool and silly so I Internet disagree.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If what I've heard about CW is true, I imagine a big issue with Rebels is the fact that Lucas isn't funneling obscene amounts of money into its production as a passion project.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the show looks like garbage because it's on a realistic (read: actually profitable) budget. They manage to get amazing visuals across occasionally, but most of the time it looks pretty drat low budget.

phantom_dilz posted:

I think that's kind of the point- like they link up with other Rebels, and then when faced with a gargantuan task of destroying the Empire it's like ???? So they mill around and do whatever comes along until they figure out a better plan. I'm pretty sure that's coming up based on the previews/spoilers.

And I wouldn't have a problem with that if there was significant drama or tension coming out of that, and frustration and boredom was setting in with team members and affecting their arcs and relationships. But there are barely any hints of that, or if there are the character just kind of resets by the next episode.

If the point was that they're wheel-spinning, shouldn't the season-long arc be about the bureaucracy of the rebellion keeping the Ghost crew from feeling like they're accomplishing something real? And then they go and do something about it? Whereas now they're just tackling small missions and occasionally complaining. It's very unsatisfying.

"Milling around and doing whatever" is not compelling storytelling.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My only exposure to Rebels is the fact that it has the coolest toy I've paid 5 dollars for that isn't a robot:

Love that mask.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That guy was actually a background character in TFA wasn't he, not in Rebels...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Teek posted:

That guy was actually a background character in TFA wasn't he, not in Rebels...

Huh, packaging billed him as a Rebels character, oh well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
An eyeless insectoid member of the Melitto species, Sarco Plank is an amoral scavenger, bounty hunter and arms dealer who does business in Niima Outpost on Jakku. During the Galactic Civil War he made a living as a tomb raider, once serving as a guide for a young Luke Skywalker on Devaron. Sarco dueled Skywalker with his electrostaff, an encounter that left the scavenger with a near-fatal lightsaber wound and a healthy respect for Jedi abilities.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It amazes me how many lifeforms in a whole galaxy inevitably interact with six of the same people.

• Locked thread