Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Problem with that hoop bar thing is I dont know if it would have helped in Jwills case. Also I dont know why they went with a center bar instead of side pillar design, unless they are that worried about the mirror positions and dont want to move them or something? I dunno.

I obvi didn't read the article cause the only way i can even remotely enjoy F1 is by pretending its awful loving media and fans dont exist.

if the pillar is off to one side then it could hide the apex of the corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

harperdc posted:

Don't forget, he owns Swift Engineering as well.

<3

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

TNO posted:

I'd rather see the seat filled by talent from the MRTI ladder than an F1 washout.

Always this but money trumps talent :saddowns:

EDIT: Today marks 100 days until the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race! :getin:

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

if the pillar is off to one side then it could hide the apex of the corner

if my buddy and I could street drive a tunnel rammed Vega, these guys can handle a pillar in the way

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

if my buddy and I could street drive a tunnel rammed Vega, these guys can handle a pillar in the way

their only concern with the halo is that it will block them from looking up through eau rouge and turn 1 in austin

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I liked that one concept Alex Lloyd was pushing, personally.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

well the halo is inherently temporary. i don't think they feel comfortable implementing a fully enclosed canopy for 2017.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Helio's 500 car looks perty dope.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

i'm excited to see the worst indycar livery this year because it will probably be better than the best F1 has to offer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unveiling it in the museum? That's the kind of bravado seems like only Roger could pull off.

What's the writing on the tires - all of the previous winners?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am fond of yellow cars and that is very yellow.

be nice wicka posted:

i'm excited to see the worst indycar livery this year because it will probably be better than the best F1 has to offer

People talk poo poo about Red Bull but at least their car isn't black and silver like most cars on that grid.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

I am fond of yellow cars and that is very yellow.

People talk poo poo about Red Bull but at least their car isn't black and silver like most cars on that grid.

i like the new red bull but it is only good in the context of F1 and in the context of their history of shockingly boring cars

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Sauber and Williams were my favourite simply because they weren't loving silver.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oddly enough though Coletti had my favourite scheme from last year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's the writing on the tires - all of the previous winners?

Yup

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Nice of them to give Donald Davidson a front row seat, I guess.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Cygni posted:

That's a good looking car. Still don't know who I'll be pulling for in the 500 but that car alone might do it for me.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Firestone winners. I was like why is unser Jr, mears, Villeneuve, etc. not on there then oh yeah Goodyear.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Sauber and Williams were my favourite simply because they weren't loving silver.

Sauber's blue and yellow ruled, but Williams have the Martini stripes which automatically make your car good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Firestone winners. I was like why is unser Jr, mears, Villeneuve, etc. not on there then oh yeah Goodyear.

I was gonna say.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BMB5150 posted:

Which is pretty lovely really. You're doing a commemorative tyre, make it one.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Indycar people making fun of the Daytona 500 on twitter for only having 58 iterations is so pathetically hilarious.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Indycar people making fun of the Daytona 500 on twitter for only having 58 iterations is so pathetically hilarious.

I don't know what there deal is.

Being sincere it's kinda bizarre.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

They're insecure because their series is largely an afterthought that only gets significant coverage for the 500 or when someone gets killed, so they have to make themselves feel superior any way they can.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

They're insecure that their series is largely an afterthought that only gets coverage for the 500 or when someone is killed, so they have to make themselves feel relevant.

To be fair, that's pretty much the only coverage NASCAR gets, too

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

NASCAR is profitable. At least much more so than Indycar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Indycar was shittalking the NFL over Superbowl 50 so I'm assuming they've decided to make this a thing until the 500. Can't wait for them to go at WWE over Wrestlemania 32.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

WWE doesn't even call it Wrestlemania 32 because Vince McMahon is an out of touch old man who thinks the numbering makes it sound "old" now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

Indycar was shittalking the NFL over Superbowl 50 so I'm assuming they've decided to make this a thing until the 500. Can't wait for them to go at WWE over Wrestlemania 32.

I like wrestlemania though.

Also yeah it's loving stupid. The insecurity poo poo needs to stop. Indy and it's fans are better than that. (at least I thought?)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
race fans fighting over the deck chairs on the Titanic

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kept thinking about Toyota within IndyCar racing after seeing them win Daytona.

gently caress I really wish Toyota was still in the series..

They really seemed to time their effort horribly and in the worst time for form the sport possible. I mean their rival Honda was competitive within year 2 of their existence, correct? (1994 they come into the sport. 1995? Came close to winning Indy and won New Hampshire with Andre Ribero. 1996? Start of the Ganassi dynasty run of 4 straight CART Titles)

Toyota? Wow. They start their first season off during "The Split". They struggle with Dan Gurney to try to put a competitive engine out there (Which is sad because prior? They were GREAT in IMSA together), and they finally reach victory lane at Indy. Only to be met with shrugged shoulders by the general public and apparently their Japanese HQ..

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Racecar fans are headcases and aspies, regardless of the series. The people who evangelize any one series over another tend to be the type of shitlord that also loves soccer in the US specifically because everyone else ignores it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Kept thinking about Toyota within IndyCar racing after seeing them win Daytona.

gently caress I really wish Toyota was still in the series..

They really seemed to time their effort horribly and in the worst time for form the sport possible. I mean their rival Honda was competitive within year 2 of their existence, correct? (1994 they come into the sport. 1995? Came close to winning Indy and won New Hampshire with Andre Ribero. 1996? Start of the Ganassi dynasty run of 4 straight CART Titles)

Toyota? Wow. They start their first season off during "The Split". They struggle with Dan Gurney to try to put a competitive engine out there (Which is sad because prior? They were GREAT in IMSA together), and they finally reach victory lane at Indy. Only to be met with shrugged shoulders by the general public and apparently their Japanese HQ..

The reason why they were so uncompetitive (at least initially) was because of that stupid "small package" engine design. They came good, sorta, in their third year, and had the best engine eventually.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 22, 2016

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

The reason why they were so uncompetitive (at least initially) was because of that stupid "small package" engine design. They came good, sorta, in their third year, and had the best engine eventually.

Unfortunately Dan Gurney's design was not a great design for the chassis to develop upon the engine. I'd say they couldn't get good development until 98 when Gurney could get Reynards. By 2000 they had the speed but reliability was lovely.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Unfortunately Dan Gurney's design was not a great design for the chassis to develop upon the engine. I'd say they couldn't get good development until 98 when Gurney could get Reynards. By 2000 they had the speed but reliability was lovely.

The Arciero car had a Reynard and was still very slow, though. IIRC didn't AAR use Reynards in 1997?

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 22, 2016

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Huh thought they went 2 years with the Eagle but oh hey they did have a Reynard.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Racecar fans are headcases and aspies, regardless of the series. The people who evangelize any one series over another tend to be the type of shitlord that also loves soccer in the US specifically because everyone else ignores it.

I think for certain people it's understandable to have a favorite series.

A lot of the SASCAR goons grew up going to NASCAR races, watching them with their dad, etc.

Guys like Viking? Well poo poo. Dude eat, sleeps and breathes dirt track. I have a blast watching videos with him in synchtube.

Guys in the IndyCar thread? Similar stories. OF COURSE you're going to have a bias for a certain series, but it doesn't give you the right to act high and mighty over another series. I'd rather go drinking with a guy wearing a Dale Jr. cut off and talk about Cup, then to go whine and moan about how -insert series here- is better than it.

BMB5150 posted:

They also seemed like they wanted to be THE name when it came to racing in the US. I don't know if they did it the right way in retrospect. Timing seems to be everything.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

at the end of the day all of these series feature race cars going vroooooom and that's all that really matters

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

be nice wicka posted:

at the end of the day all of these series feature race cars going vroooooom and that's all that really matters

Calm down there gozinbulx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

be nice wicka posted:

* Except for that one series that only goes vrooooooom 20 minutes at a time

• Locked thread