Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

El Scotch posted:

The modern political landscape has become so warped it makes Bush #1 look pretty good about now.

For all of H. W. Bush's flaws, he at least understood that Reaganomics/Supply-side Economics was bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

foobardog posted:

For all of H. W. Bush's flaws, he at least understood that Reaganomics/Supply-side Economics was bullshit.

He also signed ADA so that was kinda cool.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

El Scotch posted:

The modern political landscape has become so warped it makes Bush #1 look pretty good about now.

I...definitely forgot HW existed and was a Bush family member, honestly. :eng99: Things really have changed so much I don't even put him within the same political paradigm that his children have clearly claimed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

foobardog posted:

"Voodoo Economics" is still one of my favorite political phrases.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
He also vetoed a civil rights bill and was threatening to veto it again until told it was veto proof

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fried Chicken posted:

When Jeb drops out I am going to treat myself to an expensive meal at a very nice restaurant and a lot of good scotch. Indianapolis goons are free to join me.

Ooh, Boston-area goons should do something similar. Maybe Fishmech will show up and I'll finally be able to link a face to all of those hot, hot takes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ooh, Boston-area goons should do something similar. Maybe Fishmech will show up and I'll finally be able to link a face to all of those hot, hot takes.

Have you not seen the official Smartest Child in America contest that he won on television?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

At a town hall today Jeb was asked about his and his brother's foreign policy. Jeb described W's presidency as "peace through strength"

Yeah. Because that's what I remember about W. His presidency was so peaceful. No wars or anything.

Christ. "Peace through warstrength" has to be the most "Bush" thing I've heard in some time. The man was just amazingly good at framing the worst ideas in the most Orwellian terms imaginable.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Denver goons, assemble?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Christ. "Peace through warstrength" has to be the most "Bush" thing I've heard in some time. The man was just amazingly good at framing the worst ideas in the most Orwellian terms imaginable.

While it is an Orwellian idea, it's not a Bush original and technically predates Orwell by about 1800 years.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tobermory posted:

While it is an Orwellian idea, it's not a Bush original and technically predates Orwell by about 1800 years.

Fascinating. I knew I'd heard that phrase before somewhere other than Orwell.

quote:

"Peace Through Strength" appeared in the Republican Party platforms of 1980,[15] 1984,[16] 1988,[17] 1992,[18] 1996,[19] 2000,[20] 2008[21] and 2012.[22][23][24][25]

I'm learning so much today.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Have you not seen the official Smartest Child in America contest that he won on television?

We talking about a formative childhood memory long-past or a recent occurrence?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Amergin posted:

Denver goons, assemble?

I'm down for sure when nebbish Jeb drops.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gonna need a really compelling reason for snowbirds to go to Cuban instead of Miami and the Keys. Key West is pretty fantastic and driving there from Miami is going to be more convenient than a (short) international flight to Havana.

Cuba also serves as an excuse to take a snowbird swinger cruise tho

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Fascinating. I knew I'd heard that phrase before somewhere other than Orwell.

I'm learning so much today.

How strange, I wonder why they didn't use it in 2004. Quite a mystery.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

site posted:

Obama should have the secret service clear out the hall and then take a dump in Scalia's coffin.

There's already 100+ pounds of poo poo in there, I doubt one more would make a difference

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Cuba also serves as an excuse to take a snowbird swinger cruise tho

I would think the Keys would be all about that.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Tomorrow morning, Trump is going to start attacking Jesus himself on Twitter.

"What kind of a Son of God just hangs out and lets the damned Romans crucify him? I mean, what a disaster, what a catastrophe. He's a good guy, he's good people, but... I like people who don't get crucified. "

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"if this jesus fella knew how to make a deal like i do, he'd get everyone together at a table, sit down, talk to the romans, talk to god, talk to satan, and achieve eternal salvation for man without any kind of a human sacrifice. i understand that, i'm a businessman"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
In Indiana the election commission has just held that 498 = 500 along partisan lines

Short version: two republicans running to replace Dan Coats - Todd Young, the less crazy one and establishment favorite (who also beat Dem candidate Baron Hill in a prior election) and Marlin Stutzman, much more extreme rear end in a top hat who the establishment isn't so happy about because he has swung way right in social issues and was deep in RFRA.

So part of getting in the ballot here is collection of signatures, you need 500 in each district. Young went for just over the bare minimum on each and called it a day. His team turned in 501 from CD1

Except they didn't - while the SVRS took the count at the campaign's claim and signed at the 501 they were told, when they were independently verified it was found to be short. The democrats got 498; the media and a team of county clerks (who quintuple counted) got 497. 1 person from CD1 who is also logged as CD2, and the rest on a "page 51" that the Young campaign says exists but there is no record of.

So the law says individual signatures on the petitions. Even allowing for the person signed in the wrong district they are short. All the Young campaign has to go on is that they are claiming there was another page that they turned over that is now missing. When asked if they were accusing anything nefarious they were quick to assert that they were not accusing the clerk of disappearing the page, when pressed on what they were saying the quote from the lawyer is "stuff happens". When asked if they could produce proof of the page's existence, like say a photocopy, the campaign cannot.

So, law says 500 on the petitions, they have 498, and they have nothing to show to back up their claim. Should be cut and dried right?

Election commission votes 2-2 on party lines to allow him to remain on the ballot.

Well this is Indiana after all. We tried to legislate the value of pi as something more convenient once. That the law is meaningless when the ruling party wants its chosen person on the ballot shouldn't surprise anyone.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Tobermory posted:

Peace through power!
Peace through power!
Peace through power!

Kane lives in death!

(except nobody in the Bush family is cool enough to be Kane)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

In Indiana the election commission has just held that 498 = 500 along partisan lines

Short version: two republicans running to replace Dan Coats - Todd Young, the less crazy one and establishment favorite (who also beat Dem candidate Baron Hill in a prior election) and Marlin Stutzman, much more extreme rear end in a top hat who the establishment isn't so happy about because he has swung way right in social issues and was deep in RFRA.

So part of getting in the ballot here is collection of signatures, you need 500 in each district. Young went for just over the bare minimum on each and called it a day. His team turned in 501 from CD1

Except they didn't - while the SVRS took the count at the campaign's claim and signed at the 501 they were told, when they were independently verified it was found to be short. The democrats got 498; the media and a team of county clerks (who quintuple counted) got 497. 1 person from CD1 who is also logged as CD2, and the rest on a "page 51" that the Young campaign says exists but there is no record of.

So the law says individual signatures on the petitions. Even allowing for the person signed in the wrong district they are short. All the Young campaign has to go on is that they are claiming there was another page that they turned over that is now missing. When asked if they were accusing anything nefarious they were quick to assert that they were not accusing the clerk of disappearing the page, when pressed on what they were saying the quote from the lawyer is "stuff happens". When asked if they could produce proof of the page's existence, like say a photocopy, the campaign cannot.

So, law says 500 on the petitions, they have 498, and they have nothing to show to back up their claim. Should be cut and dried right?

Election commission votes 2-2 on party lines to allow him to remain on the ballot.

Well this is Indiana after all. We tried to legislate the value of pi as something more convenient once. That the law is meaningless when the ruling party wants its chosen person on the ballot shouldn't surprise anyone.

But let me tell you voting IDs to prevent voter fraud.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

If you're not holding your nose and inciting your local teabaggers to make a national stink about this then I don't know what to tell you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

I hate this state so much sometimes. Well, a lot of the time. Time for Young to collapse under the weight of a shitload of Koch money as is the fate of somebody going against a shithouse crazy right winger in our state. I'm definitely going to be volunteering for Gregg and am prepared to be utterly depressed by our state again

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Has there been any kind of press release from the officials who voted to allow his name on the ballot? On one hand, it's just two names. On the other hand it's just two names so how the hell does he have to resort to forgery in order to get this right. You'd think they'd bar him from the ballot just to prevent future campaigns from being such lazy shits.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't see what's wrong here. They found the two extra names :v:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you're not holding your nose and inciting your local teabaggers to make a national stink about this then I don't know what to tell you.

They'llllll allow it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fried Chicken posted:

And this is why we need to strengthen voter ID and ballot laws. Look at this two rogue election commissioners not following the law to the exact letter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

Can't his opponent(s) sue in court to have him removed for not meeting the requirement even if the commission is worthless and ignores the law?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So follow up: in the course of the first challenge they got one if the republican commissioners (Klutz) to commit to the position that Young had 500 signatures.

The lawyer for the democrats then produced a certified signature that was invalid. Law requires the signers to be registered to vote at the time they vote, and this woman only registered the day after the challenge was filed. The certifies apparently thought she was her father when the signed off on her. In either event, the republican commissioner had just committed to there being 500, and this legally invalid signature would push it to 499.

The lawyer for Young then Gish-galloped and tried to get the board to certify an additional name, selecting from among someone who didn't reside in where they claimed place of residence ("flaw in the form" per the lawyer), someone who signed for a different county that they claim should be in this one, and one where the signature didn't match the registered name at all to the point where it had been ruled a forgery by the certified (and the IndyStar press agrees).

Basically, the Young campaign wants the board to add disqualified signatures. The board elected not to do this.

The republican who committed himself to 500, and this now 499 and ineligible, voted in favor of Young anyways.

Remember folks - the law is meaningless and exists only to justify and protect the practices of those with power. Ultimately power decides who gets what, and rule of law is a sham

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't his opponent(s) sue in court to have him removed for not meeting the requirement even if the commission is worthless and ignores the law?

Yes. Question now is if Stutzman or the Dems will do so. Stutzman probably won't because it will poison him with the party. Dems I expect will but we'll see how that goes

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I hate this state so much sometimes. Well, a lot of the time. Time for Young to collapse under the weight of a shitload of Koch money as is the fate of somebody going against a shithouse crazy right winger in our state. I'm definitely going to be volunteering for Gregg and am prepared to be utterly depressed by our state again

Hey now, you live here, you know none of our folks take Koch money.

This is Bill Oesterle's state. He is the one who buys and sells races here, and has Matt Tully on retainer to lick his boot heels and justify the naked bribery.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Remember folks - the law is meaningless and exists only to justify and protect the practices of those with power. Ultimately power decides who gets what, and rule of law is a sham

This is becoming more apparent to me with Congress being obviously obstructionist for partisan reasons, and being reminded of superdelegates, and so on. Basically, all the processes and rules and laws are just hoops for the plebes to jump through that will be discarded in the case of any danger to the elite. :smith:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have that image of the McConnell quotes from the 70's(?) where he says it's totally cool and fine for a president to make SC appointments based on ideology? I should have saved it last time, but c'est la vie.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

foobardog posted:

This is becoming more apparent to me with Congress being obviously obstructionist for partisan reasons, and being reminded of superdelegates, and so on. Basically, all the processes and rules and laws are just hoops for the plebes to jump through that will be discarded in the case of any danger to the elite. :smith:

Yeah the setup really seems like it requires people to be acting in good faith for it to work and doesn't have a lot of real mechanisms to deal with people in charge that don't care about following the rules. I think the boundaries of this are really going to get pushed in the next few years.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

Yeah the setup really seems like it requires people to be acting in good faith for it to work and doesn't have a lot of real mechanisms to deal with people in charge that don't care about following the rules. I think the boundaries of this are really going to get pushed in the next few years.

I'm almost morbidly interested how much further they can push it before it snaps. I mean poo poo, the financial crisis was open crime and no one was punished. Snyder knowingly poisoned a whole town, no one cares. Trump is being painted as a mad conspiracy theorist for saying Bush lied to take us to war, failed to stop the 9/11 plot and the Saudis were the ones ultimately backing it. We have whole industries now based around openly flouting the law. We have people being murdered on video and the victim's family and people who recorded it are the ones being punished.

I honestly would have expected reality and mass anger to act as a correction on this by now and it hasn't. Who knows anymore

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm almost morbidly interested how much further they can push it before it snaps. I mean poo poo, the financial crisis was open crime and no one was punished. Snyder knowingly poisoned a whole town, no one cares. Trump is being painted as a mad conspiracy theorist for saying Bush lied to take us to war, failed to stop the 9/11 plot and the Saudis were the ones ultimately backing it. We have whole industries now based around openly flouting the law. We have people being murdered on video and the victim's family and people who recorded it are the ones being punished.

I honestly would have expected reality and mass anger to act as a correction on this by now and it hasn't. Who knows anymore

OK, OK, time to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed, I guess.

e: Dear Feds - This is a morbid joke! Don't Guantanamo me!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fried Chicken posted:

Law Abiding Citizen would have been a more satisfying movie if Gerard Butler had actually succeeded in setting off his explosives at the end of the movie and then vanished.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Law Abiding Citizen would have been a more satisfying movie if Gerard Butler had actually succeeded in setting off his explosives at the end of the movie and then vanished.

I agree and rooted for him the entire movie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

If Bernie loses because of super delegates and/or Trump loses because of Rat loving, I can guarantee you we are one bad day from riots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington posted:

If Bernie loses because of super delegates and/or Trump loses because of Rat loving, I can guarantee you we are one bad day from riots.

nobody cares about the primaries that much hth

• Locked thread