Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

my stepdads beer posted:

Fairly sure her claims on statins have been validated though

Nope, she's dead wrong. She's probably causing the premature death of thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

my stepdads beer posted:

Fairly sure her claims on statins have been validated though

It was and is pseudoscience.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

swing and a miss

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Quality stuff

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Im Herald Sun columnist Andrew Bolt. I first started writing when I was about 12. By 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "I'm friends with Cardinal Pell" and "I know Pell. Sociopathic is a lie" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia.

quote:

Police must be investigated for this sliming of Pell

Icon - Comments 0 Comments | Permalink Andrew Bolt Blog Icon Arrow
Andrew Bolt
FEBRUARY
(10:42am)

This police leak is highly suspicious and clearly meant to destroy Cardinal Pell:

A VICTORIA Police taskforce has been ­investigating allegations that Cardinal ­George Pell sexually abused between five and 10 boys.

Detectives from Sano Taskforce have compiled a dossier containing allegations that Cardinal Pell committed “multiple ­offences” when a priest in Ballarat and when archbishop of Melbourne....

The allegations span four decades, with the Ballarat-born cardinal accused of abusing children — now adults aged in their late 20s to early 50s — between 1978 and 2001…

Last night, the cardinal ­released a statement vehemently denying any wrongdoing, saying allegations were “without foundation and ­utterly false’’…

Sources close to the police probe have speculated Cardinal Pell would want to avoid returning for fear of being questioned over allegations.

It is claimed Cardinal Pell’s alleged offences occurred at two locations in Victoria.

While working as archbishop of Melbourne at St Patrick’s Cathedral, between 1996 and 2001, he is alleged to have sexually assaulted altar boys as young as 14…

He is also alleged to have committed offences against several child victims at a swimming pool in Ballarat in 1978…

One source close to the investigation told the Herald Sun: “Alleged offences by Pell occurred as a result of both opportunity and grooming. They are very serious allegations regarding sexual assault.’’

Pell abused altar boys? Until just 15 years ago? He abused them even five years after setting up the Melbourne Response, the first church fund for child sex abuse victims anywhere in the country, and when police and media attention on pedophile priests was intense? And in all the years of this attention, his alleged victims never came forward until now?

Of course, the police must investigate and I cannot swear that Pell is innocent and the claims have no substance. But they seem to me inherently improbable and completely out of character for Pell.

Moreover, I again insist that a man is innocent until proven guilty. That is why, for instance, I refused to report or comment on the rape allegations against Labor leader Bill Shorten until police had investigated them and found there was no case for a prosecution, upon which Shorten announced the matter himself. Most of the media did the same as I - extending to Shorten a principled courtesy that they will not extend to Pell. And to this day I do not consider Shorten’s character at all stained by the allegations. Pell, however, is being destroyed.

But I have even more serious questions.

How did this news of the police investigation get leaked? Which police briefed the reporters? Why? Why now, before the investigation’s preliminary report has even been approved by senior police? Is this not against police regulations? Against all principles of justice? And why was this leaked even before police contacted Pell to inform him of these serious claims?

This is utterly disgraceful. Pell has been given not even the slightest detail of any of the claims against him bar one - no who, where, when - and cannot defend himself other than to deny any wrongdoing. This stinks of a disgusting ambush. For all we know, the claims are (as Pell insists) obviously baseless ones that will be dismissed by senior police. Yet this early leak will further trash Pell’s reputation.

Even the genesis of this inquiry is odd. It starts with the one claim Pell has some knowledge of - but which was actually debunked 14 years ago:

Sano detectives are also actively investigating the alleged abuses of an altar boy during a camp in 1961 at Smiths Beach on Phillip Island. At the time, Cardinal Pell was a trainee priest aged 20.

The incident was not investigated by police then, but was investigated by the church in 2002, with Cardinal Pell cleared by retired ­Supreme Court judge Alec Southwell.

A legal source close to the alleged victim said Sano detectives had requested information. It is understood the victim was too upset to co-operate and has refused to give a police statement. Sano detectives are seeking other potential victims.

That allegation was comprehensively investigated by the Southwell inquiry, which could find no proof that the rape occurred. That finding, from an open inquiry, was called a ”just result” even by the anti-clerical Age. Police could not have missed the news at the time.

It is bizarre that only now - 14 years later -are the police investigating this case, and after it was well and truly canvassed in an inquiry and found wanting, with the alleged victim not even prepared to lay a complaint then or now, or to give police evidence.

What the hell is going on with the police and Pell?

Having asked that, let me remind you of the Victoria Police’s ugly record in accusing the Catholic church:

A VICTORIAN police deputy commissioner [Graham Ashton, now chief commissioner] and the force have been accused of false and misleading evidence to the state’s child sex abuse inquiry ...

Peter O’Callaghan, QC, independent commissioner in charge of the Catholic Church’s Melbourne-based complaints system [the Melbourne Response], has ... provided evidence that contradicts the most damaging claim by Mr Ashton and the force that the church failed to report a single case of abuse to police…

Mr Ashton claimed in his evidence to the inquiry that police had not “had a single referral of a child sexual abuse allegation by the Catholic Church”.

This assertion is repeated in the police submission to the inquiry. However, these allegations, which have been among the defining evidence of the inquiry, are wrong, according to Mr O’Callaghan’s submission....

Mr O’Callaghan’s response in reply to Mr Ashton and the police submission also contains five examples from his files in which he says complainants reported abuse at the encouragement of or with his direct assistance.

Mr O’Callaghan also reveals that, of the 304 complaints made to him to June 30 last year, 97 have been reported to police, 115 related to offenders who were already dead at the time of the complaint, nine were for offenders who were overseas and 76 complainants were encouraged by him to go to police…

The police submission claims that to obtain an ex gratia payment for compensation from the church, victims must enter into an agreement discharging the church from any further liability.

It claims that some of these deeds include confidentiality clauses agreeing not to disclose or discuss the circumstances of the complaint.

But Mr O’Callaghan states: “Victims of sexual abuse who accept the offer of compensation provided pursuant to the Melbourne Response ... are specifically advised that there is no obligation of confidentiality and that they are free to discuss with anyone the facts and circumstances of the abuse and the compensation obtained.”

Indeed, as the Victorian Parliamentary inquiry into child sex abuse confirmed:
The Commission’s examination of transcripts of interviews revealed that the Melbourne Response’s practice throughout was to tell victims that they had an ‘unfettered right’ to report abuse to the police.

And then there was this equally stunning slander by police:
Victoria Police has been exposed vastly overstating the number of suicides related to child-sex abuse by Catholic clergy…

The assertion that 43 suicide deaths were related to Catholic abuse was a central reason for the formation of the Victorian inquiry, which in turn was a key reason the national sex abuse royal commission was formed....
Mr Ashton [now chief commissioner] told the Victorian inquiry in late 2012 that the force was examining for the coroner 43 suicide deaths allegedly related to church abuse…

But at the same time ... a police Sexual Crimes Squad investigation was wound up, detailing how the original claims of up to 43 deaths could not be substantiated… Operation Plangere could substantiate only one firm case....

Despite knowing for more than two years that the figure was grossly wrong, the force has never publicly corrected it, regardless of the enormous damage it caused the church.

I am not for one second suggesting Ashton knew of or condoned this latest leak. I cannot and do not believe he would do such a thing.

I wonder only at the culture of the police that could produce false evidence against the church, and now this unforgivable leak.

Cardinal Pell is absolutely correct:

The Cardinal has called for a public inquiry into the leaking of these spurious claims by elements in the Victorian Police in a manner clearly designed to embarrass the Cardinal…

The Victorian Police have never sought to interview him in relation to any allegations of child sexual abuse and apart from the false allegations investigated by Justice Southwell, the Cardinal knows of no claims or incidents which relate to him.

He strongly denies any wrongdoing… The Cardinal calls on the Premier and the Police Minister to immediately investigate the leaking of these baseless allegations.

I hope Labor leader Bill Shorten, in acknowledgement of the courtesy and consideration shown to him, will demand the same be shown to Pell. This is the time when leaders in this community - people of conscience - must stand against this public denigration, humiliation and dehumanising of George Pell.

If he turns out to be guilty, let us condemn him then. But until then, what we’re seeing is monstrously cruel. Those who don’t speak against it are complicit in it.

UPDATE

If you don’t believe Victoria Police can go to astonishing lengths to mount a rape case on highly suspect evidence, read this.

If you don’t believe even senior detectives can go on an obsessive crusade against the Catholic church and assert things not true, read this.

This is a meltdown of Amethyst standards.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

xPanda posted:

Nope, she's dead wrong. She's probably causing the premature death of thousands.

This opinion piece seems to think there's more to it:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/29920479/the-deafening-silence-on-the-debate-over-cuting-statins/

Which is talking about this study:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1586/17512433.2015.1012494

quote:

We have provided a critical assessment of research on the reduction of cholesterol levels by statin treatment to reduce cardiovascular disease. Our opinion is that although statins are effective at reducing cholesterol levels, they have failed to substantially improve cardiovascular outcomes.

I really have no strong feelings either way apart from the hysteria at the time seemed a little over the top.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'll read a first dog before I read blot

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The Police should be investigated for investigating alleged crimes.

Huh.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why is he so invested in Pell?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skellybones posted:

Why is he so invested in Pell?

They're on the same side in the Culture War.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're on the same side in the Culture War.

Aren't they actually friends irl?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

Aren't they actually friends irl?

They molested boys together

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Seeing as tink has dropped the ball once again

Birb Katter posted:

While I'm on a roll have this about cats are being fostered in an Australian prison to help both the cattes and prisoners. And if you don't want to read the story here are the pics.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
But do convicted paedophiles deserve snuggles with cattes? Ray Hadley says NO!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The corruptions coming from inside the party!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-19/liberals-suspended-for-talking-preselection-to-abc-730/7185652

quote:

Liberal Party members Ross Cameron, Juris Laucis, Charlie Lynn suspended for appearing on 7.30 preselection program Exclusive by Matt Wordsworth, Julia Holman and Conor Duffy Updated yesterday at 9:37pm

Three Liberal Party members including two former MPs have been suspended for six months from the party for appearing on a 7.30 investigation into Liberal preselections.

Former federal MP Ross Cameron, former NSW Upper House MP Charlie Lynn and branch member Juris Laucis have been suspended under the party's constitution. All three are aligned or sympathetic to the once-dominant right faction of the party. Mr Lynn told 7.30 his suspension was proof the Liberal Party was undemocratic and had abandoned its principles. "The factions have isolated the membership so there's no democracy in the Liberal Party, and democracy is the key principle of freedom," he said. He said the suspensions were "disgraceful" and a blight on the party's so-called commitment to individual liberty and freedom of speech. He said he believed the current pre-selection process was producing candidates favoured by factional bosses rather than the best possible candidates and the party was a breeding ground for "hacks". "Well, it's a growth of factionalism within the Liberal Party and the factions are very, very strong within the Liberal Party, and if you step outside the factions you are finished forever," Mr Lynn said.

The ABC has obtained the letter sent to Mr Cameron from the NSW Division of the Liberal Party. The letter states he had been suspended for six months because his comments to 7.30 were likely to cause "damage to the reputation of the division, cause embarrassment to the division or party or parliamentary leader and or reduce the divisions prospect of success in any election". In the 7.30 story that aired last week Mr Cameron, who held the Federal seat of Parramatta from 1996 to 2004, called the Liberal Party's processes "corrupt". The six month suspensions given to Mr Cameron, Mr Lynn and Mr Laucis are the maximum allowable and there is no right of appeal. The decision was made by the Acting State Director, Simon McInnes, in consultation with the party president. Mr Lynn told 7.30 he does not regret going public about his concerns, and will continue to speak out about the party's processes. He said Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who famously stated in October 2015 that the Liberal Party was "not run by factions" needed to tell the party to abide by its constitution. "I would like to think Malcolm (Turnbull) would instruct the party to say, 'we've got to reach out to people who currently can't join the party because the hacks won't allow them to do it'," he said. "The constitution, their own constitution of the Liberal Party is rorted every time there's a state executive meeting. It's rorted. Now that's a matter of record as well. Malcolm (Turnbull) needs to say, 'look, there's the constitution, let's abide by it and let's encourage people to join'."

I recognise that even without Police involvement there will be crime related road deaths but the scale of deaths caused by Police pursuits has to be a concern.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-20/marayong-sydney-high-speed-police-chase-crash-fatal/7186090

quote:

Crash in Sydney's Marayong leaves three dead, two injured after high-speed police chase y Siobhan Fogarty Updated about an hour ago

Three women have been killed when the car they were travelling in struck a pole during a police pursuit in Sydney's west. Police said they were patrolling along Railway Road in Marayong at about 1:15am when they saw a car being driven without its lights on. The officers attempted to stop the vehicle when it allegedly drove away at high speed. "Within a matter of seconds it collided with a power pole and, unfortunately, as a result we've now got three females who are deceased — [and] a male and a female who are currently in hospital in a serious condition," Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford said. Two women died at the scene; a third later died in hospital. All three are believed to be aged in their 20s. Another 43-year-old woman and a 33-year-old man are in Westmead Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

A critical investigation has been launched.

"There's no other way to describe this, it's horrific. Three young people have lost their lives tonight and that's a tragedy," Assistant Commissioner Clifford said. "We are yet to piece together the circumstances of what occurred and the matter will be put together for the coroner." The deceased have yet to be identified. "The officers have been provided with a lot of support. As you can imagine there's a lot of people who will be very much affected by what occurred tonight, a lot of lives that will be changed forever," Assistant Commissioner Clifford said. Police are unable to confirm whether the driver was one of those killed in the collision. They are urging anyone who may have witnessed the crash to come forward.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Uhlmann's latest article for the Australian goes from "people were mean to me on Twitter" straight into cultural Marxism conspiracy theory :eyepop:

quote:

Liberating tolerance, then, would mean intolerance against movements from the Right and toleration of movements from the Left.

Repressive Tolerance (1965) — Herbert Marcuse

It was a liberating experience. In a morning moment of madness I had decided to tweet into the maelstrom of media rage created by former prime minister Tony Abbott’s decision to fly to the US to address the Alliance Defending Freedom.

It had been prompted by an interview where an American tolerance commissar opined it was appalling, in a democracy, that people opposed to abortion and gay marriage were allowed to air their toxic views.

This progressive truth was so self-evident it went unremarked by the interviewer.

My clear intent was neither to defend Abbott’s world view nor his decision to speak to a cabal of “reactionary” Christians on the hand-grenade topic “the importance of the family”. It was simply to say: “Once upon a time journalists believed in free speech …”

It seemed an unremarkable intervention. It wasn’t surprising that there was a social media storm in the Twitter teacup because its obsessives are always stewing over something. But that defending free speech could be cast as a crime against tolerance screams something very disturbing about our times.

That some who lit torches with the mob were journalists says a lot about the state of the media. These reporters have appointed themselves the prefects of progressive verities. That is disturbing because when journalists parade as pointers to moral true north then check your bearings, we have drifted badly off course. Yet I had naively hoped that free speech was one of the few things on which journalists in a democracy could agree: neutral ground in the culture wars. I had long feared this was not the case and so it proved.

And that was liberating: a Damascene moment of self-discovery. I had become a radical by standing still. For in an age where being a revolutionary is traditional, then being traditional is revolutionary.

There was another insight. We had reached a historic inflection point. Nearly 90 years after Antonio Gramsci began writing his letters from Benito Mussolini’s prison, Marxism’s long march through Western institutions was reaching its end.

From his cell Gramsci wrestled with why workers in the West weren’t rising up to cast out the ruling class, as Marx predicted they would.

Gramsci pitied them because, he deduced, they were victims of false consciousness.

They had been brainwashed by a vast array of religious, intellectual and cultural institutions into believing their interests and the state’s coalesced.

“The state is the entire complex of practical and theoretical activities with which the ruling class not only justifies and maintains its dominance but manages to win the active consent of those over whom it rules,” he wrote.

It seems never to have occurred to Gramsci that the workers recognised Marxism for what it was: a prescription for a tyranny so profound it sought to colonise people’s minds.

But if the people wouldn’t buy a bad idea, there was one eager market: Europe’s intellectuals. Gramsci proposed they begin a grinding “war of position” to take the commanding heights of the bureaucracy, universities and the media. Once there they would scrub the landscape clean of Western values.

“Cultural policy will above all be negative, a critique of the past; it will be aimed at erasing from the memory and at destroying,” he wrote.

As social projects go, this wasteland was a tough sell, but neo-Marxists are nothing if not dogged. They built critical theory as a vehicle for change and began the deconstruction of the West.

Frankfurt School academics fleeing Adolf Hitler’s Germany transmitted the intellectual virus to the US and set about systematically destroying the culture of the society that gave them sanctuary.

America’s freedom of speech was its achilles heel. Critical theorists were given university pulpits and a constitutionally ordained right to preach, grinding its foundation stones to dust. Since 1933 they have been hellbent on destroying the village to save it.

When Herbert Marcuse wrote Repressive Tolerance 50 years ago, the hope that his ideas would become mainstream was a distant dream. But, if they did, he had developed a plan for reversing the polarity of freedom.

Marcuse cautioned his disciples not to be so foolish as to afford the courtesy of free speech to their opponents.

“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed, certain behaviour cannot be permitted without making tolerance an instrument for the continuation of servitude,” he wrote.

Tolerance is the totem of our age, a bumper sticker of virtue. Yet hidden in its many meanings is the doublespeak of defining what will be taboo. It is now considered tolerant to demand silence from nonconformists.

When the Tasmanian Anti-Discrimination Commission says the Catholic Church has a case to answer for robustly defending its views on marriage and the family, then we have seen a glimpse of the Marcusian future. And it is just one gust of the gale buffeting a society hollowed out by its intellectuals.

I hoped to remain indifferent to the inevitable change in marriage laws. But that will be impossible if those who cast themselves as oppressed seek to become oppres­sors. If offending the new ruling hegemony is prohibited then I stand with the right of the minority to disagree.

Stripped of their fashionable clothes, what’s striking about the tolerance police is how similar these new moralists are to the old. They pursue heretics with an inquisitor’s zeal, blinded by the righteousness of their cause.

In A Man for All Seasons Thomas More’s son-in-law William Roper declared he would knock down every law in England to get at the devil.

“Oh?” More says “And when the last law was down and the Devil turned ’round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat … I’d give the Devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety’s sake.”

Chris Uhlmann is the ABC’s political editor.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Ettin posted:

Uhlmann's latest article for the Australian goes from "people were mean to me on Twitter" straight into cultural Marxism conspiracy theory :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/700845403831336960

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon posted:

I recognise that even without Police involvement there will be crime related road deaths but the scale of deaths caused by Police pursuits has to be a concern.

This is a tricky one. Should police just not chase criminals? Then why have them? Should everyone take driving courses so they're at the point they can drive like a race car driver? Should we speed limit cars to the signed speed?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My favourite thing about the Uhlmann tweet are the replies saying that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Endman posted:

My favourite thing about the Uhlmann tweet are the replies saying that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

It's true, those who don't learn to ignore everything that dribbles out of Chris Uhlmanns mouth are doomed to retweet it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
TELL me how German Judaeo-Bolshevism destroyed the United States

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's true, those who don't learn to ignore everything that dribbles out of Chris Uhlmanns mouth are doomed to retweet it

A big enough storm about that Jews destroying America thing may be enough to get him fired. That's some pretty hosed up poo poo.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's much easier to smash out an article when you interpret 'you're a fuckwit' to mean 'you should be banned from being a fuckwit'.

I don't even get what he's alluding to with the critical theory thing? America is as strong as it's ever been?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 20, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

It's much easier to smash out an article when you interpret 'you're a fuckwit' to mean 'you should be banned from being a fuckwit'.

I don't even get what he's alluding to with the critical theory thing? America is as strong as it's ever been?

A Marxist Jew actually has a chance of becoming president next year! But the PC police won't let you talk about that now will they?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is Chris subtlety blaming the jews? In a nationwide paper?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Their "free speech" is freedom from any criticism.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

Is Chris subtlety blaming the jews? In a nationwide paper?

No, Chris is blaming the jews in a nationwide paper quite unsubtly.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
So was that whole screed from from Uhlmann a "your intolerance of my intolerance makes YOU the intolerant one"? Because that's some amateur poo poo right there. Also lol at the whole "Jews are a cultural virus" crypto-Nazism.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I thought the beginning of the Uhlman article was somewhat reasonable, though whiney and not a big deal. I did not see the sudden shift into conspiracy theorist nonsense about the Frankfurt school coming though, lol

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

open24hours posted:

I think you'll find that certain people think America isn't as strong as it used to be and needs to be made great again :cheeky:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ettin posted:

This is just so loving insane it's amazing.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

my stepdads beer posted:

This opinion piece seems to think there's more to it:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/29920479/the-deafening-silence-on-the-debate-over-cuting-statins/

Which is talking about this study:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1586/17512433.2015.1012494

I really have no strong feelings either way apart from the hysteria at the time seemed a little over the top.

That opinion piece contains this:

quote:

What is unseen by the public in these arguments is the pressure brought to bear by massive pharmaceutical corporations on public health groups — indeed on individual doctors — to fall in line with research on their medications that they often control both financially and scientifically.
which is conspiratorial. The piece contrasts a new BMJ study assessing 11 trials, against a Usyd study of over 60,000 people and their longitudinal outcomes. It somehow claims that the apparent discrepancy between their positions means that the BMJ study may have the right of it. Sounds like confirmation bias on the part of the author to me. In any event, I'd trust longitudinal data over trials any day - it's a "proof of the pudding is in the eating" matter.

As for that tandfonline article, I don't have journal access at the moment so can't comment on an abstract. Ultimately, though, scientific consensus takes time and discussion to both be reached and changed. What you won't see when looking at individual studies is the progress of change of consensus - that takes a lot of reading and comprehending over time. You might roughly measure it through the ratio of papers on either side of a divide, but that of course would change over time. Think of it like how the scant few 'climate sceptic' studies get coverage out of proportion to their representation in the literature - that's pretty much what Demasi does on Catalyst.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ettin posted:

I never knew the head of the far left ABC's political dept wrote for the australian. That's very... leftist of him.

Birb Katter posted:

This is a tricky one. Should police just not chase criminals? Then why have them? Should everyone take driving courses so they're at the point they can drive like a race car driver? Should we speed limit cars to the signed speed?

It's not like it's a great unknown mystery that can never be solved. No high speed chases is already policy in victoria and internationaly.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 20, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

My mind is still blown that in the year 2k16 we are still blaming Jews for communism and the political left for the downfall of Western civilisation.

I was reading about this poo poo in Gordon Allport's "The Nature of Prejudice" and that was written in nineteen-fifty-four.

Like the more I think about it, the more insane it gets.

quote:

I hoped to remain indifferent to the inevitable change in marriage laws. But that will be impossible if those who cast themselves as oppressed seek to become oppres­sors. If offending the new ruling hegemony is prohibited then I stand with the right of the minority to disagree.

"Stop oppressing me" cries the straight white male, as he sees that everyone has the ability to marry

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also cue accusations that the ABC is a leftist mouthpiece and needs to be shut down.

Sure it's not published BY the ABC but the guy is the political editor soooooooo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So what do we call a public figure gradually going insane and tinfoiling Islam/jews/feminism?

Lathamitis?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

So what do we call a public figure gradually going insane and tinfoiling Islam/jews/feminism?

Lathamitis?

Gibson'd

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Eh, it's really super reactionary and it's great that "free speech" is the banner they huddle under now, especially seeing as discriminating against $MINORITY is generally not acceptable anymore.

People have been lamenting the fall of Western civilisation since at least the early 20th century so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

I don't see why police can't be equipped with a non-bullet rifle that fires a GPS into an offending car, or a high speed drone, or gently caress, something. It's 2016, and our institutions seem to be incapable of inventing creative technical solutions to simple problems.

Although I am actually in favour of speed limiting cars to the signed limit. Nothing pisses me off as a pedestrian or driver than people speeding.

• Locked thread