Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

What exactly are Electronic Baffles? I know what they do (remove stress for damage) but what exactly are they supposed to be?

A lesser-known definition of "baffle" is:

quote:

noun
noun: baffle; plural noun: baffles

1. a device used to restrain the flow of a fluid, gas, or loose material or to prevent the spreading of sound or light in a particular direction.

I imagine they're basically Star Wars version of Star Trek's "inertial dampeners".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'm all for new ways for Palpatine players to kill Palpatine for me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ConfusedUs posted:

I imagine they're basically Star Wars version of Star Trek's "inertial dampeners".

But we already *have* inertial dampeners!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

guts'n'bolts, what's your opinion on the upcoming Electronic Baffles?

Personally, I think they're going to be a godsend for the shuttle. You'll still want to play carefully, but you'll actually be able to turn around! Or essentially turn into a stationary turret (for a short time)! Or any sort of other things.

Yorr with Waffles is going to be awesome. I mean, sure he'll instasplode, but gently caress you stresshog you do nothing useful for like 5 turns.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

Am I nuts for putting a lot of points into a Super B-Wing that uses stress to attack, Kyle to get focus tokens, and PTL to generate stress? Combined with Airen for support to give more actions for defense, could this be a good list?

BWing Squad? (100)

Keyan Farlander (40) - B-Wing
Push The Limit (3), Enhanced Scopes (1), Ion Cannon (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

Airen Cracken (24) - Z-95 Headhunter
Wired (1), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Red Ace" (36) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3)

A 40-point ship with only 1 evade die isn't going to last long, even at 8 HP. Kyle is a waste of 4 points because a focus on one die is never going to be worth it and Keyan shouldn't need it on the attack. As well, I don't understand the choice of Enhanced Scopes; FCS or Advanced Sensors are going to be much better on Keyan. He is fairly likely to hit with the Ion Cannon but then you have a 40 point ship doing one damage a turn, discounting the Ion token.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Still want to get good use out of Wedge someday. Thinking about this:

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Expert Handling (2)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Still want to get good use out of Wedge someday. Thinking about this:

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Expert Handling (2)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

Wedge needs to be able to throw out his shots and have them hit before he gets focused down; he doesn't have the regen or arc dodging the others have. He works best with Predator or something that gives him a better chance to hit. Predator and a focus gives a decent chance of getting 3-4 hits.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phone double posting? Phone double posting.

You could also try Lone Wolf, maybe send him off and hope that chase him so you can flank whatever they send after Wedge. If they don't take the bait, well then Wedge gets a flank shot and that's going to hurt.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I figure Wedge can do some legit knife-fighting between expert handling and generic r2 green maneuvers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Corbeau posted:

I figure Wedge can do some legit knife-fighting between expert handling and generic r2 green maneuvers.

The problem is that you lose offensive dice mods when you use Expert Handling. Predator works all the time, and with Wedge at PS9 you can set up beneficial blocks to keep a target in sight (I'll sometimes deliberately block Wedge so he doesn't overshoot a target).

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Corbeau posted:

If you want Barrel Rolls, BB-8 is the better option because it doesn't impact your action economy.

Wedge + Predator + BB-8 is a solid combination that gives you both repositioning and the ability to capitalise on Wedge's offensive power.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
would anyone be interested in something like this?

a set of bases with a 1/4" inset on the front and back (for regular maneuvers) and along the sides (for barrel rolls) to accommodate a custom set of acrylic movement templates with a 1/4" of extra length on either side.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Irom posted:

a set of bases with a 1/4" inset on the front and back (for regular maneuvers) and along the sides (for barrel rolls) to accommodate a custom set of acrylic movement templates with a 1/4" of extra length on either side.

You'd have to come up with something janky for large ship barrel rolls.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A spare 1 template in the custom set with an extra 1/2" width would do

Or perhaps the large base ships just omit the side slots altogether

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Irom posted:

It would be a pain in the rear end to figure out ship placement when you are very close to bumping or in tight among other ships/rocks.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Been playing with a B/X/Y Keyan/Poe/Gold stress build. The Flechette Torps were just me filling the last 4 points.
Keyan should be a monster with PTL Focus/Target Lock and his Pilot skill. Thoughts?

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Flechette Cannon (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Total: 100

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What problem does this solve?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Irom posted:

To be honest, these seem completely unnecessary and would sort of be a pain in the rear end to use.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chemmy posted:

What problem does this solve?

Millimeters and millimeters of movement inaccuracy.

Actually perhaps less than a millimeter.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Irom posted:

I'm 90% sure these wouldn't be tournament legal.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about you guys but I have noticed at my local store some dudes are notorious for sloppy placement and will conveniently take advantage of shots that fall within absolutely minuscule degrees of whatever happens to be most advantageous to them. The fact that the cardboard templates wear and there's nothing super exact about placing the template between two teensy nubs made me think about a no-slop solution.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Endman posted:

I'm 90% sure these wouldn't be tournament legal.

Yeah, the rules specifically do not allow modified bases.

These would also make it harder/less accurate to fly through obstacles or through bases.

The X-Wing tournament rules include this section:

"Margin of Error

Ships are sometimes moved accidentally or placed inexactly during the normal
course of the game. A small margin of error is allowed in the position and
orientation of ships in these situations so that the pace of the game is not
unnecessarily affected. Players should not abuse this margin of error, and
they must use the tools included with the game to be as accurate as possible.
Using excessive force when placing components to intentionally move other
components is expressly forbidden. In the event of a dispute, the TO has
the final authority on ruling and can disqualify unsportsmanlike players."

So basically some wiggle room is allowed and expected. In the case of bumps or close calls with asteroids you should take extra care though to be precise as possible. If someone is abusing the wiggle room at a tournament I would absolutely call them out on it and get the TO involved if necessary but only if it seemed intentional and they were doing it routinely. If someone is doing it in casual play I would just ask them to be a bit more careful next time and let it pass.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Store tourney in an hours time. Wish me luck!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Store tourney in an hours time. Wish me luck!

Skill. I wish you skill. Luck is for losers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Skill. I wish you skill. Luck is for losers.
First match was the worst possible matchup for my list and I lost 100-0. Won my second game though!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What is your list?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, quick question: If I have an IG88 with expert handling and advanced sensors, would I be able to use advsens to perform the free barrel roll, then move a green to remove stress and then perform a regular action? Alternatively, I would be able to use inertial dampeners instead of moving forward and then double-stress, right?
Thanks

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, quick question: If I have an IG88 with expert handling and advanced sensors, would I be able to use advsens to perform the free barrel roll, then move a green to remove stress and then perform a regular action? Alternatively, I would be able to use inertial dampeners instead of moving forward and then double-stress, right?
Thanks
Yes you can use Advanced Sensors to use Expert Handling before moving, then shed the stress with a green. But you can't then take another action, because AdvSens blocks you from taking an action phase on turns where you use it.

Yes, you can also use AdvSens then Inertial Dampeners to take an action (including EH) and then stop in place rather than moving forward, and yes, this will doublestress you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes you can use Advanced Sensors to use Expert Handling before moving, then shed the stress with a green. But you can't then take another action, because AdvSens blocks you from taking an action phase on turns where you use it.

Yes, you can also use AdvSens then Inertial Dampeners to take an action (including EH) and then stop in place rather than moving forward, and yes, this will doublestress you.

Alright cool, thanks for the confirmation - I suspected that would be the case , but thought I should double-check. I may yet find use for EH in a couple of builds... (although perhaps not IGs, hard to say. Might be worth testing out)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Adding barrel roll to large ships that don't otherwise have it can be very nice, and on IGGies especially because of Advanced Sensors which can make your movement really unpredictable. But conversely, having AdvSens means you're not using Fire Control Systems and in that situation you've gotta ask yourself why not.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I'm playing my first games tomorrow with a loaned standard Super Dash list. Did a bit of research and found people advising care against high maneuverability pilots that stay in the donut hole. Any other tips? General tips for baby's first tournament welcome too!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just played in babby's first tournament, and here are the things I've learned.
The rounds take forever. Bring a snack and some water or something. I got bounced with the first cut, but I played five 90 minute rounds which was pretty much all day. 2 of the 5 rounds went to time.
Try to remember all your steps in order, so you don't forget a Predator reroll, stealth device extra die, or something. Some people write it on their hand.
Keep your stuff organized. I carried all my ships in the core set box with them all based up and ready to go. I also used the core set box ship insert to hold my tokens, which made it easier. In the 5-10 minutes of setup time, you'd rather spend more looking at your opponent's list and maybe looking up what their dials can do rather than fiddling with your stuff.
And, welp, since the tournament is tomorrow, you should try playing your list as much as possible beforehand. There is no objectively "best" list in this game, and players who do well have usually played their list against a variety of others beforehand.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't have any advice for Super Dash but if anyone has tips on not getting Corran with VI blown up immediately I could sure use them too.

Speaking of which, anyone have any strong opinions about this list:

Corran Horn
Veteran Instincts
R2-D2
Fire Control System

Red Squadron Veteran
Crack Shot
Targeting Astomech
Integrated Astromech

Red Squadron Veteran
Crack Shot
Targeting Astomech
Integrated Astromech

100 points

I liked flying the Red Vet along with Red Ace and Ello last week, but I'm thinking that I might be vulnerable to turrets because they basically just run away from me and I'd rarely need to use a red maneuver.

Thinking about turning the Targeting Astros into basic R2s and giving Corran PtL to up his defence/options.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

What is your list?
I was flying VI/Mangler Ten Numb, tactician Blue squadron B, stresshog without title and a Z.

First match was against a 3 unhinged TLT and torkil mud TLT list. Lost 100-0 because i kept getting ships with PS0 that then got obliterated.
Second match was against fat Han and Poe. Destroyed Poe easily; Han took out Ten and the stresshog and then the Z and B cleaned up Han.
Third match was against Superdash and Miranda. Miranda took a scenic route that got her out of the game for three turns and I cornered and destroyed Dash after losing the Z. Rest of my fleet cleaned up Miranda easily.
Fourth game I faced a 5 K-fighter list. I took initiative to deny actions with bumps, he jousted me. Couldn't turn away since my guys were slower. Joust was bad and I lost everything, was lucky to take out two of the K-fighters.
Fifth game I hosed up. Facing torkil again with blaster turret and moldy crow, spice runner with recon spec and two ion hogs with title. hosed up by turning for the Ys instead of the HWKs, killed a Y but got cleaned up.
Sixth I faced a mini swarm of 2 academies, howlrunner with crack, zeta with wired and a Vader with EU/ATC/VI. Destroyed howlrunner before it got to fire. Lost a Z in the exchange. Vader ended up double stressed and ion and was killed. Lost the Y but killed the Zeta FO, then lost the B but Ten was unarmed and cleaned up the TIE/LNs.

Came 33rd out of 57, missing out on the c3p0 until someone said they would charity the card to the next player and that ended up being me.

1 game was a fuckup but 2 others were bad matchups for me. Two ship rebels were easy but I didn't face a single Soontir which made me sad. Still had a lot of fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also before anyone says anything yeah I know, Ten Numb is overcosted but I've been flying him for ages and it's kind of 'my thing'. He's really matchup dependant which is a shame.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ten Numb was super fun during that summer when every shitheel with a netlist was flying Soontir/RAC. Won a tournament with it against some good players and ruined someone's day at regionals with him.

Unfortunately against anything with shields he's about 10 points over cost, yea.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have been loving around with this in Vassal

quote:

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Howlrunner (18)

Omega Leader (21)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Comm Relay (3)

the Sienar Test Pilot is a super cheap missile platform for the Imperials. I may replace Howlrunner considering he only buffs primary weapon fire. But it's fun to fly if you can get the rockets off.

Irom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 20, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I might have to steal that. Looks like fun.

Stelarch
Jan 20, 2013

Irom posted:

I have been loving around with this in Vassal

the Sienar Test Pilot is a super cheap missile platform for the Imperials. I may replace Howlrunner considering he only buffs primary weapon fire. But it's fun to fly if you can get the rockets off.

I would love to see this list working with Captain Jonus (tie bomber) so that you can reroll 2 attack dice per missile attack in range 1 of him. Considering the guidance chips, 2 rerolls and the fact you will have a focus token to use, I would guess those 5 dice would do a lot of damage.

I would also just love to see a situation where a tie bomber is worth taking pre imp vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Sienar Test Pilot (16)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

Captain Jonus (22)
Predator (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Proton Bombs (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

Dice fixing and action economy? Yeah, we got that.

• Locked thread