Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Ornedan posted:

Why would you not get Clever Construction? I did just fine trapping my way through the arctic Malachai race. I got CC in early act 4, in time for the cycloning mini-bosses in Daresso's branch.

because whilst levelling, I am not generally levelling a trapper

racers are another matter of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Dual Righteous Fire Totems are kind of fun for a totem build. Nice thing is that the 2 uniques (only one is mandatory) that are great for the build are less than a chaos each. Plus the totems cost zero mana.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 15, 2016

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So I've been playing this Rolling Flames Fireball build (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1550478 ) in THC, which (after you hit 3 Rolling Flames jewels) is quite OP and super fun to play.

I'm in Merciless, end of A1, happily murdering everything when my wife asked me to turn around and check how funny our cat looks. I'm not entirely sure what exactly killed me, but I think it was some lucky offscreen crit + massive bleeding or some other poo poo.

ProTip: ignore your cat when playing.

On a bright side, Vaal Fireball + MTX fireball skin scare's the poo poo out of people :D I've been deliberately murdering everything with normal fireballs and setting off Vaal FB in the heat of an action - when people weren't expecting it. First time in each group when farming dried lakes and everybody was just running away from me, not really sure what's going on. Massively increased Area of Effect of Vaal Fireball produces 30-something explosions covering the whole screen and big chunk of surrounding screens.

J
Jun 10, 2001

That lightning trap discussion got me thinking - what's the current strategy as far as skill gems for ranger races? Longer ones that go into a3 and a4, that is. I've been trying to check people's profiles on the main site who finish high in races but they delete their race characters so fast I haven't been able to find good examples. When do you ditch shrapnel shot and switch to something else? Lightning arrow?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wouldn't actually ditch shrapnel shot. Instead you'd add something like lightning arrow when you can in order to increase kill speed against groups, but you simply aren't going to beat the damage output against single targets of shrapnel shot

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Doesn't Burning Arrow work better as a single target?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

lurksion posted:

Doesn't Burning Arrow work better as a single target?
Yes.

Burning Arrow: 1 shot at 150% damage. 20% chance to inflict an ignite for 88% of base damage over 4 seconds. The higher your attack speed the less useful the ignite damage is when compared to Shrapnel SHot's higher base damage, due to overlapping ignite durations. If you have 100% ignite uptime and fire exactly once per second, the base damage should work out to 176.4% per shot. With 2 attacks per second it's 163.2% per shot.
Shrapnel Shot: 2 shots at 80% damage. So 160%.

Shrapnel shot has the added utility of both piercing and having an AOE portion, though, so using it as a single target skill you can still kill any mooks the boss summons. And if lightning arrow is your primary pack clearing skill you may have passives/items that effect lightning damage.
Honestly they're pretty well balanced against eachother, and it mostly comes down to preference or what the rest of your build is like.

The base damage of burning arrow is also a tiny bit higher than what I say, due to it only using the strongest ignite. But that's pretty much impossible to math out as far as I can figure.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Well it's only 4 affixes and 1 is a brick, but lmao:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

New skill reveal: Ancestral Protector. It's a melee totem that buffs your attack speed and smacks dudes with your weapon and extra range. You can give it melee splash but otherwise it's single target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUrqm6pBhY

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wack-a-mole totem looking good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeeeees melee totems yeeeeeeesesesssss

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ekster posted:

Wack-a-mole totem looking good.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
In less exciting news:

With level one of that gem, and assuming the passive tree has the same amount, you can now get up to 70% trap cooldown speed with a level 1 gem. I'm hoping the gem is 2% per level and not 1 or less (2 would be for 108%, 1 would be 88%).
If you're wondering how it could be worth using, it's pretty much worthless against singular packs, but good against sturdy rares and bosses. Probably a gem people will swap in for boss fights in a 5/6l.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Count Uvula posted:

In less exciting news:

With level one of that gem, and assuming the passive tree has the same amount, you can now get up to 70% trap cooldown speed with a level 1 gem. I'm hoping the gem is 2% per level and not 1 or less (2 would be for 108%, 1 would be 88%).
If you're wondering how it could be worth using, it's pretty much worthless against singular packs, but good against sturdy rares and bosses. Probably a gem people will swap in for boss fights in a 5/6l.

Might be cool and usable if higher levels added extra trap damage

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

New skill reveal: Ancestral Protector. It's a melee totem that buffs your attack speed and smacks dudes with your weapon and extra range. You can give it melee splash but otherwise it's single target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUrqm6pBhY

Guess I'm making a totem Templar so I can throw out 4 of those things and just laugh forever. :allears: Beautiful.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just want to drop dual facebreaker totems and simulate jojo's bizarre adventure

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Questions about low low life tri blasphemy build:

1. Temp Chains or Poacher's Mark? 3 Frenzy charges give me 20% more dps, I'm not sure how good the flask charge gain is because I'm wearing a +flask charge belt and using Warmark already.
2. How to balance ES and stun immunity? I switched from using an Eye of Chayula to a +1 curse amulet. I have 7200 ES right now because I'm wearing a Prism Guardian, and if I switch from Rainbowstride to Lioneye's Paws I'd go down to like 6700 ES (and get 2 free stat points which I could use on 6% ES nodes). Stun immunity is a pretty big deal but 7200 is already not a good ES pool and 6700 seems like way too little to me.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Questions about low low life
Low life is, when HP gets reserved via blood Magic gem, right?
Are there good guides to low life. I'm assuming from the one Video I saw it's something you do when your are in maps, not before?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
its something you do when you have 1 jillion ex, not before

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It absolutely requires a Shavronne's Wrappings, so you need to have a lot of currency to start with. I decided to make a LL character because I had enough currency saved up to buy a 6L Shavronne's (worth like 17 exalts).

Also depending on what uniques you are using, you need 2-3 other big ES pieces to have enough ES to work with. I'm using 190 ES gloves and the Uber Atziri mask, both in the 50 chaos-1 exalt range. Basically don't expect to be able to play LL without spending around 10 exalts. The base price of Shav's is 7 exalts or so and there's no point in playing the build without at least a 5L Shav's. I'm using decent ES gear in hat, glove, and boot slots right now, while Prism Guardian in the shield slot barely gives anything. If I were to actually swap my boots out for Lioneye's Paws, I'd probably really want to spend another 5 exalts on a helmet upgrade with 400+ ES to cover the loss. Also note that you probably want to wear Dream Fragments and Eye of Chayula/Lioneye's Paws, and none of those items have good resists so you need to find gear that covers your resists while having a lot of ES on them.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ultima66 posted:

Questions about low low life tri blasphemy build:

1. Temp Chains or Poacher's Mark? 3 Frenzy charges give me 20% more dps, I'm not sure how good the flask charge gain is because I'm wearing a +flask charge belt and using Warmark already.

I'd say just carry both and swap them depending on what kind of content you're doing. Use poacher's on easier content to plow through it faster, and use temp chains whenever your survivability feels sketchy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hail to to Chief!

http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/18/exclusive-path-of-exiles-chieftain-ascendancy-class-is-on-fire/

I would expect the scion to be spoiled next Thursday.

Why hello RF totems. Editx2 - RF with out burning yourself. Wowie.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 18, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
An RF marauder has been my favorite, most played character. The Chief seems awesome and right up my playstyle.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

Hail to to Chief!

http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/18/exclusive-path-of-exiles-chieftain-ascendancy-class-is-on-fire/

I would expect the scion to be spoiled next Thursday.

Why hello RF totems. Editx2 - RF with out burning yourself. Wowie.

Ignite is separate from burning. The class won't help you with a non-totem RF build outside of health regen and added fire damage.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I was hoping for a more generalized iron will caster type of class. I like it thematically, though.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I thought RF did count as ignite, but clearing the effect from yourself turned the ability off entirely.

I'm totally playing an RF totem build next league, though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vanguard Warden posted:

I thought RF did count as ignite, but clearing the effect from yourself turned the ability off entirely.

Nah, though I can see how you'd think that since potions of dousing have different effects for ignite/burn (removes burn, immune to ignite), while the rest of the elemental pots have identical wording on their two effects (e.g. removes shock, immune to shock).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Vanguard Warden posted:

I'm trying now in THC and its working quite well. Been using https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1510181 as a guide for it.

All you need is a Spire of Stone Jewel, and a Doedre's Scorn Helm and you are good to go. Then all you need is 12% totem life gems which will be better than more Spire jewels unless you take lovely +10 strength nodes. A +1 curse item is also really good, especially with the Chief as you don't have to run Purity of Fire anymore and can run 3x blasphemy curses with the reduced mana reservation nodes by templar.

Also the Ascendancy Trees have been tweaked. https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/46i2am/changes_to_ascendancy_trees/

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Glad they changed the Elementalist node, seemed like it was going to be like the rigwald ring, all gimmick and no usefulness.

With what we know so far, I am most excited about Gladiator, Assassin, and Hierophant. Not to say that those are the best, they just give me ideas of stuff to do, and fit with how I like to play. Some of the others look outright insane if they were put into the game as is, but I would imagine that there will be a lot of other changes that comes with 2.2 to normalize things.

Also, I wonder if it will be easy to get the last two points for an acendency class from the merc labyrinth. I think my first guy will be someone who can function well with only 4 points in a tree.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
WHACKY INFLATABLE WEAPON FLAILING ANCESTOR!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'm thinking of making my first non-funman based character name. I want it to be worth the occasion though, any ideas?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

funmanguy posted:

I'm thinking of making my first non-funman based character name. I want it to be worth the occasion though, any ideas?

FartMan or FartManGuy

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Per Chris on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3ym2ut/ascendency_supporter_pack_classes_artwork/cyeto7x?context=3

There's no artwork for Scion's ascendancy. This means it's not a static tree. The most straightforward explanation is that she uses Ascendancy points from other classes, therefore the artwork will just show whatever other Ascendancies she is getting points from.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so the scion probably just picks one of the other eighteen ascendancy classes for her own

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Finally, her being a wonder child prodigy will do something besides just making all her voice clips obnoxious.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Ultima66 posted:

Per Chris on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3ym2ut/ascendency_supporter_pack_classes_artwork/cyeto7x?context=3

There's no artwork for Scion's ascendancy. This means it's not a static tree. The most straightforward explanation is that she uses Ascendancy points from other classes, therefore the artwork will just show whatever other Ascendancies she is getting points from.

My very first thought when they said that Scion only gets one ascendancy was that she gets to put 2 points each into 3 other ascendancies. That way she's flexible and varied, but can't be quite as specialized as the other classes. Fitting with her overall style.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm in A2Cruel, and I'm at a loss. Ele resist was an issue, fixed that. Then it's mana, fix that, but now it's DPS, or block/stun b/c just being on the same screen as a common mob seems to induce paralysis in my character. Or now matter how well I try to stack ES with armor or evasion I'm getting 2-shot by bosses. Is there a way to enjoy this game that doesn't involve either starting a new race every two hours or treating it like a full-time job?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Finally, her being a wonder child prodigy will do something besides just making all her voice clips obnoxious.

CURSE YOU BRUTUS! CURSE YOU AND YOUR BLOODY MURDERED EMPIRE!

Vorenus posted:

I'm in A2Cruel, and I'm at a loss. Ele resist was an issue, fixed that. Then it's mana, fix that, but now it's DPS, or block/stun b/c just being on the same screen as a common mob seems to induce paralysis in my character. Or now matter how well I try to stack ES with armor or evasion I'm getting 2-shot by bosses. Is there a way to enjoy this game that doesn't involve either starting a new race every two hours or treating it like a full-time job?

This sounds like you're trying to rely on your energy shield as life (possibly taking Chaos Inoculation). Don't do that, use life. Energy shield is, outside of lategame situations, a trap.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vorenus posted:

ES is a rich man's game. You want life and lots of it. What's your build? You're also probably overdue for making a decent set of flasks. You want at least 2 bubbling (or seething but it's not really as good) hallowed life flasks of different status defenses (bleeding and freezing are the 2 big ones, curse resistance is also nice) and probably a perpetual quicksilver flask of adrenaline (you can't make this with the one you got for doing the medicine chest quest on normal).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vorenus posted:

You can't really do ES plus evasion without end game gear. You either do HP + evasion or pure ES. and Pure ES is hard to do before Merci anyway so you probably should just go hybrid.

• Locked thread