Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, the action looks pretty good.

Yea, Man of Steel does a lot of stuff wrong, but the fights are really well done. During that scene, A-10s come down and start shooting their avengers at Superman and Zods forces and they don't even notice it, and keep fighting.

And in case anyone's not aware, the Avenger is a mingun that can shred a tank in 2 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Can the Jay Garrick in the mask be an older man, and the one we have know all season just be a whinny bitch that was trying to copy him using drugs.

Therefore not ruining the real Jay Garrick who is just slower then Zoom/Barry overall.

Zoom can be someone completely different.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Man of Steel does a lot of stuff wrong,.

:mad:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Man of Steel does a lot of stuff wrong, but the fights are really well done. During that scene, A-10s come down and start shooting their avengers at Superman and Zods forces and they don't even notice it, and keep fighting.

And in case anyone's not aware, the Avenger is a mingun that can shred a tank in 2 seconds.

For further reference this is the round that the GAU-8 Avenger shoots:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

For further reference this is the round that the GAU-8 Avenger shoots:

It's not a plane. It's a gun with wings. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krad posted:

Are you sure this isn't Kingdom Hearts 3?

Not enough pseudo-philosophical blather about light and darkness and hearts.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Man of Steel does a lot of stuff wrong, but the fights are really well done.

As I've said before, I think I'd kinda enjoy Zak Snyder making a live-action DBZ movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Only if it's framed as Goku recounting the plot while charging a Spirit Bomb. That way it can stay true the show by having him charge up for an hour before 5 minutes of fighting.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

EvilJay posted:

He's just conserving his speed.

You mean conserving his speeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WarLocke posted:

It's more that if you stop and think about the scope of his powers if he actually unleashed, it becomes hard to come up with a credible threat he can't instantly deal with.

It's sort of similar to the problem Superman has, in that he's pretty much invincible, so that only way to really 'challenge' him is to do stories where someone else is in danger that he can't easily protect, or challenge his beliefs, etc etc.

I know people hate bringing up the Motherfucking Flash monologue, but it's not wrong about the guy being ridiculous.

Idk, I bet he could get shot pretty easily if he got ambushed. I doubt he's walking around in matrix bullet time 24/7. I mean Vandal Savage hit him with a knife so lol.

Still doesn't excuse him forgetting how to use his powers and poo poo. :negative:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

We just need better writing

Exactly, but that's a lot to ask for in this show apparently.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Idk, I bet he could get shot pretty easily if he got ambushed. I doubt he's walking around in matrix bullet time 24/7. I mean Vandal Savage hit him with a knife so lol.

Still doesn't excuse him forgetting how to use his powers and poo poo. :negative:

He got shot in the back of the neck once and instinctively went to superspeed and plucked the bullet out and threw it away as soon as it touched his skin.

This was a big enough shock to knock him out though.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Just catching this episode and I was getting some serious whifs of Yellow Crayon in Cisco's speech to Caitlin.

Iron Mask is totally Actual Jay Garrick, no idea if the one on earth prime was a split or his twin or whatever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Big thread... Maybe it's been said/discussed, but has anyone noticed Zoom's accent/manner of speech? I don't think it matches any known actors on the show. He says things like the word "daughter" very interestingly. Almost like Denzel's accent. Doawwter. New York-ish?

Could just be the voice actor they are using won't be the actor we see unmasked, but I doubt that.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Feenix posted:

Big thread... Maybe it's been said/discussed, but has anyone noticed Zoom's accent/manner of speech? I don't think it matches any known actors on the show. He says things like the word "daughter" very interestingly. Almost like Denzel's accent. Doawwter. New York-ish?

Could just be the voice actor they are using won't be the actor we see unmasked, but I doubt that.

It's interesting that you doubt that given that Tony Todd was hired literally to just do the sinister Zoom voice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I am curious how the voice will work when he's revealed though. Is he just going to have Tony Todd voice when he's suited up, or what.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mikeraskol posted:

It's interesting that you doubt that given that Tony Todd was hired literally to just do the sinister Zoom voice.

Oh poo poo. Ok never mind. Distinctive voice though... :)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If they don't try to reveal it as another character zoom can be a mask any Tony Todd until death and beyond

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Aphrodite posted:

I am curious how the voice will work when he's revealed though. Is he just going to have Tony Todd voice when he's suited up, or what.

I assume TT will be Zooms disguise voice, like barrys vibro-voice

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rurea posted:

I really hope there is some other reason they had him use some obscure POW tapping code instead of nodding or just using Morse. Maybe they don't have Morse code on Earth-2?

Jay Garrick's helmet is one of those helmets worn during WW1 he got from his father in the comics. A POW's morse code being used by someone who is centered around the word Jay seems like they are trying to make a connection.

Guy A. Person posted:

In this instance you could keep everything the exact same with a simple line tweak. Instead of Barry forgetting that he can vibrate through solid matter while he is trapped in a cage, he could have said something like "I need to figure out how Zoom was able to vibrate through this glass, I couldn't when I tried earlier". Or like someone said, this would have been a good opportunity for Cisco to use his new powers to vibrate the glass to a different frequency.

Am I the only one who just recognised this as probably what happened? He tried to vibrate out. It didn't work. He then sees Zoom do it and realised 'oh you do get in and out by vibrating, theres just some weird trick to it that only Zoom knows, I just need to figure this out.'

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Zoom is Jayden Smith they just didn't let him finish

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

kingcom posted:

Am I the only one who just recognised this as probably what happened? He tried to vibrate out. It didn't work. He then sees Zoom do it and realised 'oh you do get in and out by vibrating, theres just some weird trick to it that only Zoom knows, I just need to figure this out.'

Except we saw what happened. Barry was looking for a way out with his hands and eyes. Zoom vibrated out, Barry tried to vibrate out. It didn't work. Then realised that he vibrates differently.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Little_wh0re posted:

I assume TT will be Zooms disguise voice, like barrys vibro-voice

Iirc they did that because last season they simply modulated Wells voice and fans instantly unmodulated it and spoiled the surprise.

Tony Todd should just be zoom, who is an old Wally west gone mad and travelled back in time, and be a show regular.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I honestly still can't get over that line. "Heh, Zoom just showed me how to get out of here :smug:."

Barry is the dumbest person

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've just realized that The Flash's transient stupidity is probably brain fog from low blood glucose.

Fun Fact: The brain (primarily) runs on glucose.

Another Fun Fact: The brain consumes ~20% of your oxygen-intake and caloric-intake.

How well can our super hero's brain compete with his super metabolism? Obviously not very well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

I've just realized that The Flash's transient stupidity is probably brain fog from low blood glucose.

Fun Fact: The brain (primarily) runs on glucose.

Another Fun Fact: The brain consumes ~20% of your oxygen-intake and caloric-intake.

How well can our super hero's brain compete with his super metabolism? Obviously not very well.

Yeah, but Speedforce.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
When was the last time you saw Barry eat four pizzas.

Makes you think.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It makes me think Barry became so stupid at some point that he forgot he needed to eat to be smart and just stopped eating or drinking except when people reminded him to do so and only normal amounts so that now he's really just subsisting on leeched speedforce energy and the reason that he can't go faster than 1500 km/h or whatever is that the speedforce energy he'd need to do that is really being used to keep him alive and the speedforce is so drained of energy he can only max it out at 1500 km/h. Every time someone gives him a pep talk he manages to up that limit but at the cost of draining his intelligence even further. By the time season 3 rolls around Barry will be officially classified as mentally retarded and the CW will use him as the poster boy for a campaign about how even people with disabilities can be heroes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The season finale will feature a hospitalized Barry Allen, whose experimental hyper-compressed oatmeal bar restored his intelligence but catastrophically expanded in his stomach, and now the fastest doctors alive are racing to remove the oatmeal before his time runs out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think you mean Caitlin's bar, since that's about all she's useful for nowadays. And Cisco will be the one to name it Goatmeal!, not realizing the unfortunate implications.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
This checks out because the Reverse Flash was very smart. And he's not like the Flash at all.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I do wish calorie expenditure was a real thing still, maybe a natural limit to Barry's power. They alluded to it waaaay back at the beginning when he was starting his training, but then it stopped being a problem somehow.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
:downswords: Dr. Wells, I'm having trouble keeping up my speed.
:eng101: Barry, it's because of your caloric burn. You need to eat that little hyper-dense calorie bar we placed in your belt pouch.
:downswords: Ok. I'm eating the bar, but Dr. Wells, I don't think I'll be able to eat it in time.
:eng99: You have to eat faster, Barry. Use the Speed Force to take bites and chew and swallow faster.
:eyepop: I didn't think of that! Thanks, Dr. Wells!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

I do wish calorie expenditure was a real thing still, maybe a natural limit to Barry's power. They alluded to it waaaay back at the beginning when he was starting his training, but then it stopped being a problem somehow.

"Guys, I can't do it! I can't go any faster!"

"Barry! We believe in you! Just try!"

"I CAN'T!"

"Barry, this is Harry. Eat those extra goddamned hotdogs Crisco packed in your fannypack and quit complaining. When you get back to this time again we'll have some pizzas at the lab for you."

"I'M DOING IT GUYS!!!! I'm eating the hotdogs!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Still more interesting than the writers artificially dumbing him down and turning him into an idiot just to give his enemies a chance.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Guys how do I beat this metahuman?? He can shoot stuff from his hands! How can I possibly beat him??"

"Barry, eat a Snickers, your brain doesn't work properly when you're hungry."

*Barry bites into a Snickers then runs up and punches the bad guy in the face*

"Better?"

"Better..."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

"Guys, how do I beat Father Gascoigne, I kept backdashing but he just keeps catching me!"

"Barry, you have to be faster and dodge into his attacks avoid them!"

"I'M DOING IT GUYS!!!! I'm avoiding the damage! OH gently caress HE JUST TURNED INTO A WEREWOLF!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hire about a death trap where the only way to disarm it is to win a turn based strategy game.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

computer parts posted:

That's sort of how Man of Steel does the Kryptonians' super speed. They have to stop to reorient themselves.

See, I really don't like that. It's got all the kind of weird lack of momentum that the flash does. She just kind of slides over to the next person to punch them. There's no action she takes that even a little feels like it should send her in the direction she moves, she takes no action to super stop after her super dash.

Theres also a lot of bits in that film where someone does a slightly exaggerated punch and the person on the receiving end goes halfway through a city and while the actual CG for the devastation is good the disconnect between the punch and the reaction just looks bad. That's a thing in many superhero films, to be fair, but the sheer scale of the difference looks dumb as hell.

At least with flash he's operating in whatever weird speedforce state he operates in and perhaps more importantly it's a self awarely doofy show that doesn't take itself seriously where a fast man punches a big shark so it doesn't matter if the effects are kinda cornball. MoS plays it straight, but the fights look silly. Doesn't sit together too well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MoS does have a more serious tone, but come on... you're literally talking about aliens with laser beams coming out of their eyes, and momentum is somehow the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

See, I really don't like that. It's got all the kind of weird lack of momentum that the flash does. She just kind of slides over to the next person to punch them. There's no action she takes that even a little feels like it should send her in the direction she moves, she takes no action to super stop after her super dash.

Theres also a lot of bits in that film where someone does a slightly exaggerated punch and the person on the receiving end goes halfway through a city and while the actual CG for the devastation is good the disconnect between the punch and the reaction just looks bad. That's a thing in many superhero films, to be fair, but the sheer scale of the difference looks dumb as hell.

At least with flash he's operating in whatever weird speedforce state he operates in and perhaps more importantly it's a self awarely doofy show that doesn't take itself seriously where a fast man punches a big shark so it doesn't matter if the effects are kinda cornball. MoS plays it straight, but the fights look silly. Doesn't sit together too well.

You're good kid, but you're not Harrison Wells good.
:troll:

• Locked thread