Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Hydra is explicitly an organization with tons of cells and the arch rival organization of Shield.

If anything it's weird the movies keep using them in like Avengers 2 and Ant-Man. For the former I think Hydra s kinda beneath them at this point and for the latter it feels like the writers went "Whelp, how else can we show this antagonist is a bad guy, any ideas?"

In Avengers 2 it made a little bit of sense since SHIELD had the staff, and since SHIELD and HYDRA were connected made it easy for them to get it. The guy was also a member of HYDRA in the comics so it was good to keep that aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

mikeraskol posted:

This reads as weird criticism to me since its basically just you projecting stuff onto the show, rather than criticism of the show's content itself. I also can't recall any gratuitous "we're in the MCU reminders" since early season one, which everyone agrees was pretty poor.

The events of Ultron were mentioned more than once. I am fully expecting no shortage of Civil War references.

Also, I am still pretty butthurt over the lovely job they did with Deathlok, and how he was never made a series regular after they decided to put people with powers on the main cast. :colbert:

As for story telling, the Inhumans, the spread of Terragen, and Hydra and the alien demi-god thing are all pretty grand plots that in any sensible narrative would have a noticeable impact on the status quo of a shared universe. But they never seem to, which to me comes off as weird and dumb. Like, I am not expecting the Netflix shows to be tied up dealing with SHIELD fallout, but I think it is telling that basically nothing that happens in SHIELD is ever even at least mentioned anywhere else. The Netflix shows are even set up to basically be their own shared thing, and Agent Carter seems to spend more time setting up movies than working in any way with SHIELD. (Allegedly this Dark Matter plot has some kind of ties to Doctor Strange and last season was backstory to the program Black Widow was part of.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think AoS goes out of its way to try and "matter" to the MCU. It throws out references but I've always thought of them as a small bonus for people who watched the movies. I don't know how they're taken by people who don't, but I can't imagine most people tuning into AoS every week haven't been to say at least one of the Marvel films. Maybe for the few who haven't, it's like how Han Solo bragged about how the Millennium Falcon was fast enough to outrun the Empire's "big Corellian ships" and make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs; you don't know what the Kessel run or the big Corellian ships are but they add a bit of colour to the universe (which tie-in novels subsequently drain out by over-explaining it all :v:).

Of the superhero shows I'm watching at the moment (I've not been keeping up with Arrow), my favourite at this moment is actually Supergirl, which surprises me a bit because I thought it was a bit sluggish when it started. I think its quality is inversely proportional to how often they mention Superman.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

redbackground posted:

I read somewhere else regarding Legends of Tomorrow, Vandal Savage should have been played by Jonathan Frakes, and goddamn that would have been perfect. He wouldn't make a great Savage for every incarnation, but as a modern-era, LoT interpretation, he would be killing it.

Have you seen him recently? Riker got old and fat, he'd be a terrible choice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Riker didn't get old and fat, the universe got younger and thinner

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ToastyPotato posted:

As for story telling, the Inhumans, the spread of Terragen, and Hydra and the alien demi-god thing are all pretty grand plots that in any sensible narrative would have a noticeable impact on the status quo of a shared universe. But they never seem to, which to me comes off as weird and dumb.

I find it weird that they allowed the show to do so much Inhuman/Terrigen stuff when they have a movie planned.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dacap posted:

I find it weird that they allowed the show to do so much Inhuman/Terrigen stuff when they have a movie planned.

Especially compared to X-Men, Inhumans are a really unknown IP, even to comics fans*. They need every bit of exposure they can get before the movie comes out.

*(they're not totally unheard of, but they definitely have never really been as big of a part of the Marvel comics universe as they are right now)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

I think the season 3 description described the Inhumans encountered on the show as a "rogue branch", so the actual Inhumans movie can easily just ignore it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

SHIELD is the best comic show on TV.

This again.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think the season 3 description described the Inhumans encountered on the show as a "rogue branch", so the actual Inhumans movie can easily just ignore it.

There's no way the Inhumans film doesn't ignore every single part of AoS.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Tenth best show on television period and best comic book show not on Netflix per TVIV poll. :grin:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Little Mac posted:

Tenth best show on television period and best comic book show not on Netflix per TVIV poll. :grin:

So best, if you discount all the actually good ones?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Supergirl bit the bullet and addressed the whole illegal prisoners thing. Handled well enough. At least they addressed it before it got too out of hand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC's normal people in a world of superheroes show Powerless seems like it might actually get made as they've cast Vanessa Hudgens as the lead.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

DC's normal people in a world of superheroes show Powerless seems like it might actually get made as they've cast Vanessa Hudgens as the lead.

I have very little faith in the show because it reeks of "how can we cash in on DC superheroes without having a single one on the show?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I have very little faith in the show because it reeks of "how can we cash in on DC superheroes without having a single one on the show?"

It's Gotham?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Um Balloonman is the hero Gotham needs?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gotham is falling over itself to throw actual Batman villains into the show despite Bruce being a child, but Gotham was definitely in the same boat. See Also: That Krypton show.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

ToastyPotato posted:

Gotham is falling over itself to throw actual Batman villains into the show despite Bruce being a child, but Gotham was definitely in the same boat. See Also: That Krypton show.

Are you talking about My Cousin or the one where John Kent Duke tortures poor Lex Luthor until he eventually becomes a supervillain against his will?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

Supergirl bit the bullet and addressed the whole illegal prisoners thing. Handled well enough. At least they addressed it before it got too out of hand.

But they didn't just let him go because it was the moral thing to do, they reminded us that Maxwell Lord is a giant loving monster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Little Mac posted:

I don't know what this means. A very select demographic agrees there are nine shows that are better, with the caveat that an unknown number of internet only shows might also be better?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Are you talking about My Cousin or the one where John Kent Duke tortures poor Lex Luthor until he eventually becomes a supervillain against his will?

Neither. Goyer was trying to get a prequel about Jor-El's dad off the ground on Syfy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

an unknown number of internet only shows might also be better?

It's 2

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Neither. Goyer was trying to get a prequel about Jor-El's dad off the ground on Syfy.

Like SyFy shows Genre shows anymore
:goonsay:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Danny Pudi (Community, Winter Soldier) and Alan Tudyk (Dodgeball, A Knight's Tale) are joining Vanessa Hudgens and Christina Kirk on the new DC show for NBC, Powerless.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/nbcs-dc-comedy-powerless-adds-alan-tudyk-danny-pudi-christina-kirk

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Because when I think successful TV shows, I think Danny Pudi, Alan Tudyk, and NBC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Community had 6 seasons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And a movie

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Community had 6 seasons.

It was dragged along for the last two, one because Yahoo wanted anything for their failed service, which died by the way, soon after Community failed there, and because NBC (for season 5) couldn't literally cancel everything. Vocal fans got it renewed for season 5 and the numbers still weren't there to keep it for 6, until Yahoo grabbed it for a shortened season that also failed. I like Community, but it was not a hit show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So he's a perfect fit for DC.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Captain America: The Winter Soldier star Danny Pudi?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Technically he was in it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Whizbang posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier star Danny Pudi?

RevKrule posted:

Danny Pudi (Community, Winter Soldier)

Hmm, I did not realize the name Winter Soldier was so popular I had to specify which one I was talking about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to one of Flash's EPs the Zoom reveal means the Jay that's been hanging out with Team Flash is Zoom and that he's been playing them this entire time. Also yes, they set this up as a deliberate parallel to season one's Reverse Flash reveal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That doesn't make any sense

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm sure they'll have an episode that explains everything once the team finds out.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm sure they'll have an episode that explains everything once the team finds out.

What if I don't want them to have an episode that explains everything? What if I don't want them to pull this lazy bullshit in the first place? Can I travel to Earth-3 to change this?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

RevKrule posted:

Hmm, I did not realize the name Winter Soldier was so popular I had to specify which one I was talking about.

It's more that I think it's funny to list his 20 second cameo appearance in the first place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm done with Flash. Barry is a total rear end in a top hat, the twist in this episode is both incredibly stupid and a lazy rehash, and it's just no fun anymore.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No fun!? Fuckin' King Shark! Show rules, and I want to see what kind of story gymnastics they do to explain that reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

So according to one of Flash's EPs the Zoom reveal means the Jay that's been hanging out with Team Flash is Zoom and that he's been playing them this entire time. Also yes, they set this up as a deliberate parallel to season one's Reverse Flash reveal.

Wait, how? If the Jay that's been hanging out all season is Zoom then how did he impale himself? Unless the one of the Speed Force's lesser known powers is illusion...

I think the big/dumber explanation will be that Zoom is Earth-3 Jay and he's for some reason collecting alternate versions of himself, so the man in the iron mask is Earth-[random number] Jay.

I do kinda agree with X-O that even with King Shark this episode was a real letdown and I don't want to watch depressed whiny people for 45 minutes.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 24, 2016