Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Who wants to trade me a playset of scalding tarns for my near mint Italian chains of Mephistopheles?

I'd actually consider that. Chains of Meph is a card I've always wanted to own a copy of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

meanolmrcloud posted:

must've had an off day at the randomization section of the fat pack factory.

I bought four fat packs over the past few weeks, and the closest things to money cards I've gotten out of them were a single World Breaker and a single Thought-Knot Seer.

At least I have more full-art lands than I'll ever need. :v:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

maybe you should make like those new dual lands and grow a pair, Maro

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

alansmithee posted:

Rolling Thunder was from like 10 years ago (or more) so not really directly comparable. I also think that was around the time when WotC took over the property from AEG which already caused some bad feelings. On top of which, they've not shown the greatest ability to market/promote/support any of their non-Magic ccgs (for instance, they essentially let Jyhad/Vtes wither and die before White Wolf took it over). That said, it was a pretty big debacle all over. I still think had they kept the rarities somewhat intact and spread the releases out a bit it would've went down better, but that's neither here nor there.

That said, I'm actually not sure how sustainable the LCG market is, at least in terms of having games mature. AGoT LCG had a fairly large following but FFG recently rebooted that for (and for some good reasons, imo). Anything that's trying to be competitive like that, you're gonna run into issues with shelf space and print runs for the older sets. I think Netrunner is starting to run into this a bit already. They will likely end up doing a pseudo-standard format, but I'm not sure how people who've been playing the game consistently will take to that. Alternately, you'll end up with key expansion packs going for $50-$100+ which is insignificant for Magic relatively but actually can start to add up. You have the advantage of having all the cards of course, but that's not very useful when you're just trying to play a particular faction or w/e.

Raw Deal was actually a pretty cool game mechanically, at least until they essentially broke it with Backlash.

One thing I've wanted to see FFG try for a bit is to, at a certain point, print an entire cycle of regular expansions in a box and sell it for fifty bucks. Limits the number of SKUs you have in print at a given moment, keeps old cards in print, lowers buy-in cost as the games get older (hello GoT 1st edition)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JerryLee posted:

Did he misname a card or is he actually speccing on this

The only reason I sort of knew what that was is because I flipped past it in a shoe box literally 16 years ago and it was mildly interesting.

I agree with most of this post but you have an odd way of spelling rabidsquid

If you haven't ever had a bear in play, blood lusted it twice and berserked it you haven't lived magic circa 1993 my friend.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you haven't ever had a bear in play, blood lusted it twice and berserked it you haven't lived magic circa 1993 my friend.
I did this to an ornithopter once and the salt levels were deadly for days.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Four Score posted:

grow a pair, Maro

Have you heard his voice? That man is to 'pairs' what I am to not complaining.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
s
surprising literally nobody since this was the stated reason for MM1's tiny print run

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Kill the second group, crash the secondary market, imo.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah like anyone is surprised. It's been obvious for a long time that while their stated stance is that they don't care about the secondary market, they actually do. They reprint chase cards sparingly so that they can sell more packs down the road.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bonus posted:

Yeah like anyone is surprised. It's been obvious for a long time that while their stated stance is that they don't care about the secondary market, they actually do. They reprint chase cards sparingly so that they can sell more packs down the road.

that is uh

not entirely accurate?

like that is a no poo poo thing to say because they are a business whose model is based around selling packs, but also they've been ins anely open about how they don't want to accidentally do Chronicles 2.0 with the resultant backlash

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Sounds like the fatpacks for Oath are :effort: made into a buyable product.

Pretty much. I got 2 each of Linvala, Hedron Alignment, and Eldrazi Mimic in my fat pack. :shrug:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

that is uh

not entirely accurate?

like that is a no poo poo thing to say because they are a business whose model is based around selling packs, but also they've been ins anely open about how they don't want to accidentally do Chronicles 2.0 with the resultant backlash
That's true too, but I think that whether they don't reprint cards as much because they're afraid of chronicles 2.0 or because they want to keep their reprint equity doesn't really matter. I think they're doing an OK job with the reprints. They could be a little more aggressive in reprinting cards, but it's understandable why they don't want their value to drop. I just think that $60 dollar goyfs will sell packs just as much as $100 goyfs, with the added benefit of allowing more people to play the game at a competitive level and getting them addicted to this crap.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

As dumb as WOTC they are so smart for constantly chirping about the "promise" of the reserve list, and protecting collectors, because their consumers endlessly froth at the mouth about this imaginary group who is holding WOTC's hands when the reality is they just don't care because they can print absolute dross like they did in Theros and their consumers will buy gently caress tons of it as long as there is a valuable reprint or two and the non-rotating formats are still inaccessible.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh gently caress it's merfolk.
Merfolk is the deck that fights Eldrazi.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Count Bleck posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ciprian Maricon posted:

As dumb as WOTC they are so smart for constantly chirping about the "promise" of the reserve list, and protecting collectors, because their consumers endlessly froth at the mouth about this imaginary group who is holding WOTC's hands when the reality is they just don't care because they can print absolute dross like they did in Theros and their consumers will buy gently caress tons of it as long as there is a valuable reprint or two and the non-rotating formats are still inaccessible.

I liked Theros. :smith:

I'm a sucker for Greco-Roman mythology though. :shobon:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess red was open.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Awww yiss, 8 player GPT. Time to 0-1 drop. :v:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

Receipts?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Merfolk just 2-0'd the Eldrazi Menace lol

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Time for Merfolk prices to spike!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

I liked Theros. :smith:

I'm a sucker for Greco-Roman mythology though. :shobon:

Same and same. It really felt like Magic breaking new ground setting-wise, which I guess makes sense because it was :v: but at the same time it felt as though it did a better job of it than Khans block, which started with an equally 'new' premise. Maybe because Khans block was literally the in-universe reification of a marketing director saying 'poo poo, we somehow ended up without dragons, how can we stuff them back in???'

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

The world where Merfolk is correct for anything is not a world I want to live in.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm hoping for a setting that's not a revisit or a fantasy version of some actual historical time and place (like theros)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bonus posted:

I'm hoping for a setting that's not a revisit or a fantasy version of some actual historical time and place (like theros)

So Vryn or Kaladesh would be OK?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Bonus posted:

We should go back to Mercadia, a setting so nice they weren't even willing to spend an entire block there!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

So Vryn or Kaladesh would be OK?
Yeah, although I'm hoping Kaladesh doesn't turn out to be just "steampunk india"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

The world where Merfolk is correct for anything is not a world I want to live in.

dehumanize yourself and face to Cursecatcher

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Watch and learn.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I guess red was open.

the 9 creature 2 expidiate deck huh (you're not wrong about red being open tho lol, which of the BFZ rares did you get passed)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Mercadia was a really cool place to look at all the card art for, but I can't say for sure that they wouldn't manage to ruin that by going back with modern art direction. :v:

Kaladesh could be cool but only if they treated it as an opportunity to worldbuild rather than just a vehicle for Chandra. I think in retrospect that's one of the things that made Theros seem to work so well, like sure Elspeth was there and she was doing some important thing but she never really got in the way of the story.

mandatory lesbian posted:

the 9 creature 2 expidiate deck huh (you're not wrong about red being open tho lol, which of the BFZ rares did you get passed)

It seems like Expedite is pretty obviously just there to be a cantrip that turns on your surge bombs, if it ever relevantly gives haste to one of your creatures then that's a bonus (you can expedite an opponent's creature if you need to surge or just cycle it without an existing creature of your own).

I'd be more concerned about 3 Pyromancer's Assault tbh, that seems clunky. How'd it work out in practice?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 20, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

What's wrong with fish?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Watch and learn.

Well that was impressive.

(I'm referring to Twitch chat's restraint, not Merfolk's performance.)

Madmarker posted:

What's wrong with fish?

It's not a good deck, mostly.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also why are they showing merfolk vs eldrazi for the first three rounds? it seems like they really love showing the same matchup over and over again, this always happens

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Well that was impressive.

(I'm referring to Twitch chat's restraint, not Merfolk's performance.)

It's not a good deck, mostly.

Well, that's like your opinion man. I personally disagree.

Also she is a bad player, in paper. On stream she's fine, but she's missed a vial uptick, she missed a draw, and missequenced vialing in a cursecatcher game 1.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

And now we wait for the appeal...

Do we really have a judge on coverage that doesn't understand how State Based Actions work?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah I was surprised by this too, this is like a textbook rules advisor test example on how SBA's work.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
A poor understanding of state based effects and flickering may have just put another group of elemental tokens in play, probably locking the game away for merfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Brownhat posted:

And now we wait for the appeal...

Do we really have a judge on coverage that doesn't understand how State Based Actions work?

Apparently. Either he doesn't know how Displacer works or he shouldn't be judging an event on this level. :shrug:

• Locked thread