Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

I think this explains the issue, I'm on Orwen.

I guess I'll see ya'll nerds at launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Just FYI I'm Solution Dentata of CHUNDERBUST if you see a ~friend~ request from me.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
:eonwe::eonwe:Alright cool guys, if you played a class and liked it, do a short writeup of it and i'll toss it in OP:eonwe::eonwe:

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Can I grab an invite on Edan - Mediah #1

Advion Koweb

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This is a terrible grindy mess that has all the grind-poo poo that I hate about MMOs and asian MMOs in particular. But for some reason it's also kind of fun. Weird.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

This is a terrible grindy mess that has all the grind-poo poo that I hate about MMOs and asian MMOs in particular. But for some reason it's also kind of fun. Weird.

I think its the somewhat active action combat. It makes even grinding kind of fun. At least until novelty wears off.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Once you get over the initial info-dump clusterfuck, the game actually gets a lot more enjoyable.

Workers, crafting, and buildings feel a lot like a city building/management game, because you have a limited number of CP to invest (it's never permanently consumed) and you have to choose how you want to use it. There are a ton of ways to invest your CP, and there seems to be several ways to obtain an item you may need. For example, if you want to make beer for your workers to replenish their stamina, you can either:

a) Set up a node network from town to a grain farm so your workers can gather the main ingredients.
b) Use your character's gathering skill to collect ingredients yourself.
c) Actually grow the grains yourself in farm plots

Each method has pros and cons and may require specific CP investments to have all the pathways in place. Your own little empire setup feels very personalized and is its own individual progression path independent from your level and gear progression.
If you are in to sandbox crafting and resource management type games, then BDO has a lot to offer without even taking into account PVE/PVP.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Anyone have their $60 of free cash disappear? i need a pet :(

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

lewtt posted:

:eonwe::eonwe:Alright cool guys, if you played a class and liked it, do a short writeup of it and i'll toss it in OP:eonwe::eonwe:

That is my technique.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drinkfist posted:

That is my technique.

I thought your technique involved assplay

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I thought your technique involved assplay

That is a different one. I have many.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think its the somewhat active action combat. It makes even grinding kind of fun. At least until novelty wears off.

I think it's fair to call it active action combat. I press more buttons in this than I do playing my sorcerer in Dragon's Dogma.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Drinkfist posted:

That is my technique.
no drinkfist, black desert taught me the laws of the conservation of energy

it involves outsourcing jobs to slaves

futile
May 18, 2009
Also that Goblins make the best slaves

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

poo poo game, poo poo Tier. Canm't even name my loving dog as the Tamer, wheres my dog skins. Where's my dog named doge because I'm into the meme. Where's my loving doge themed costume daum. I'm so fuckign done.

futile
May 18, 2009
Basically the CM is a guy who used to lead a pirate guild so he enjoys watching people get PKed and PvPed and hosed with. Oh the humanity.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i thought the thread was about how he leaked info to his guild in Archeage about upcoming Archeage patches

thats what was explained to me

i didnt read it tho

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Anyone have their $60 of free cash disappear? i need a pet :(

what free cash?!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I still have no clue what I am doing but this is a pretty fun game so far. My expectations were low walking into it and there is plenty to whine about like most MMOs but I am totally convinced that it is worth $30 now. Plenty of fun to be had here.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

lewtt posted:

Wizards/Witches

Enjoy kiting things and pooping out AoEs? How about pretending you are a healer/support? Do you have a goon friend to take a hit for you? If you answered yes to any of these questions you are a lazy piece of poo poo who can't play a more skilled class, but that's okay! With enough AoE you can look competent while bragging to your friends how you just saved them a press of their potion button and that they should line up for giving you the blow jibs and loving their wives/husbands/horse.

Righto so here's how your combat will go:
1. Pull things with your magic missiles or make your party members do it
2. AoE Stun/Knockdown/Freeze
3. Cast a Spell
4. Run like hell while you missile/heal/cry until cc is up or the target(s) aren't looking at you
5. Repeat 2, 3 and 4 until things are dead, replace 3 with heals or MP regen if needed

Basic Needs: http://www.blackdeserttome.com/calculator/wizard/2574 500ish skill points is the "easy" point to reach.
My Non Reachable Goal(donotsteal): http://www.blackdeserttome.com/calculator/wizard/2579 Level Earthquake/Meteor last

What you take as damage filler spells is up to you, chain lightning starts great at low levels but falls off later. Blizzard is good but it is a channeling spell unlike Thunderbolt and Fireball. Tank and MP summons are cool. At least level one of most buffs are cool. Max HP is bad, Staff is bad, Dagger is bad, Revival is bad. Level 1 of the Ice CCs are enough. Earthquake/Meteor are your gently caress you spells and you CAN put points into them but they are expensive and you can only use them once a minute/minute and a half at max level. You can cast while moving on horse, just know horse will die, such is the life of horse, getting hosed.
1v1 PvP is pain. Group PvP is joy. More than one Wizard/Witch is what I imagine sex is like.

:effort: Someone else can put more time in to it but it's something for now.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 20, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
How does the fishing tokens thing work?

Also, sorceresses own. That's all you need for a write-up.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'm digging how the sorceress has so many attacks that are also evades. Zipping in and out between melee and mid range so quickly rules.

In general though, I am really not sure what combos are good for this class yet. Especially since everything that I have fought so far is so easy.

futile
May 18, 2009

Eonwe posted:

i thought the thread was about how he leaked info to his guild in Archeage about upcoming Archeage patches

thats what was explained to me

i didnt read it tho
Basically one of the AA producers is from that same guild too. The day before the community livestream or whatever they did in AA to show off the new cash shop box and all the shiny new items, the producer did a practice stream to some of his friends who are in the guild. Basically as a result they got to see the shiny new boat, some angel wings, and some poo poo like that one day before the public did. Some people got dramatic and painted this producer as being some shady bastard who was leaking super important patch info to his friends and that they were making $$$bank off it.

futile
May 18, 2009
Also I'm friends with the CM guy and the AA producer guy so my opinion is biased.

Also they should give me a free 3 day headstart pack for white knighting them here

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

futile posted:

Basically one of the AA producers is from that same guild too. The day before the community livestream or whatever they did in AA to show off the new cash shop box and all the shiny new items, the producer did a practice stream to some of his friends who are in the guild. Basically as a result they got to see the shiny new boat, some angel wings, and some poo poo like that one day before the public did. Some people got dramatic and painted this producer as being some shady bastard who was leaking super important patch info to his friends and that they were making $$$bank off it.

This really takes the phrase "first world problems" to a whole new level. Seriously, why would anyone care?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the explanation

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's silly drama because Trion doesn't know what is changing in the AA patches half the time, it'd be hard to leak info.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
So far the game is cool. My attempt at creating Sabrina the teenage witch ended as more of an Avril Levine. But close enough for me! Witch is my jam out of the available classes. I hope to be a ninja some day. Also I found grithok running around so I bumped my character into him repeatedly until he got on his horse and ruined the fun.

Edited for spelling

Silhouette Wires fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 20, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I tried this game and it's fun I think? I don't know, most of the time I don't know what's going on. I leveled a Val to 11 and found some weed and killed some things on the way. I probably spent all my energy and skill points in a non-optimal manner. Then I quit because I didn't want to spend half my Saturday on a character that will be history in 3 days.

Seems like there's a lot to do, which really tickles the completionist in me. Most of the systems are arcane and complicated in a charming way, which means that I can't really work out whether I like them or just like knowing that I don't understand all the game mechanics. I will probably play at release for a few weeks and then realize how bad the grind is and hate myself for it. Not sure if that means I'll keep playing or stop. Maybe the breaking point will be when I find that I'm a worse player than the average and get stomped by rangers repeatedly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lewtt posted:

I'm neither a cool guy nor can I write for what it's worth, so my Ranger write-up is a vision from the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELX4FkJL8Yc

Run around fast. gently caress poo poo up even faster. Like Legolas, only actually cool and respected.

Level up with this build. Then work towards this or whatever in the gently caress else, you'll have plentiful idea on what to do by the time you're done with the first one. Levelling manual, narrated by overly pompous Russian student:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8u006hMhY

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
berserker:

you dual wield battle axes and you powerbomb enemies into other enemies

play berserker

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this guy has good black desert guides that are short and have screenshots

https://www.reddit.com/user/vitor210/submitted/

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

So after testing it out, I can confirm that there's virtually no player-to-player trading as reported. I think all you can hand over is a select few consumables like potions and beer.
You don't even have the freedom to set your own prices on the auction house, instead it gives you a very small min-max range based on the items "current market value" which is apparently set more by the system than players.

As far as I can tell, you can't craft tools or weapons or any equipment for your friends or guildmates. All you can do is post on the auction house at a system approved price and the other player would have to purchase it as if it was from an NPC.
It's hard to even process how :negative: that restriction is when you think about how crucial player interaction is in an MMO.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ahaha. I was about to build a tool to test that. Welp that saves me time. Thanks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LegalPad posted:

So after testing it out, I can confirm that there's virtually no player-to-player trading as reported. I think all you can hand over is a select few consumables like potions and beer.
You don't even have the freedom to set your own prices on the auction house, instead it gives you a very small min-max range based on the items "current market value" which is apparently set more by the system than players.

As far as I can tell, you can't craft tools or weapons or any equipment for your friends or guildmates. All you can do is post on the auction house at a system approved price and the other player would have to purchase it as if it was from an NPC.
It's hard to even process how :negative: that restriction is when you think about how crucial player interaction is in an MMO.

If it cuts down the industrial level of gold spam bots in most MMOs then I'm all for it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

If it cuts down the industrial level of gold spam bots in most MMOs then I'm all for it.

Spam bots are still going to be there because gold spamers just want your credit card details, not actually selling you anything. Real gold farming operations dont advertise. I remember playing a game that had zero ways of trading items or money between players and there were tons of spammers anyways.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah they'll just spam for leveling services.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
what the hell do i do with all these fish i caught?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

YOTC posted:

what the hell do i do with all these fish i caught?

Take them to a Trade Merchant NPC, they will buy them.
You can also travel farther away from their origin location if you have a node pathway and sell them for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
How many folks here are going to be playing on the EU server, and what are the plans for guilds, chat channels etc. for release?

Normally I don't bother grouping up in MMOs but this game seems like it could have high potential for generating rage among tryhard pro guilds and the like. I don't give a poo poo about being "the best" or having perfect builds or whatever, in fact I actively dislike all that and the cliquey bullshit that goes with it, and just want to gently caress with those who take pixels too seriously. If goons are going to be getting up to their usual antics along those lines here I'd love to join in.