Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It might be cheaper to simply locally reproduce the effects of being shot into the sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Fire Peter Dutton into a ten pin bowling setup of gas heaters on max settings.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Make Dutton live out his days being raped on Nauru.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Too old.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean what are you talking about, there is no rape on Nauru, it is a good Christian country.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

So it turns out that the energy requirements to shoot someone to the sun are a lot more than what you would think. Its much cheaper to shoot them in a random direction away from the earth, and in this time of budget emergencies, we all need to tighten our belts and save money where we can.

What if his craft eventually runs into some aliens and they think Dutton is a typical human? Best to shoot him into the sun to avoid an XCOM situation, I feel

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ettin posted:

What if his craft eventually runs into some aliens and they think Dutton is a typical human? Best to shoot him into the sun to avoid an XCOM situation, I feel

Aliens showing us up and wiping us out is a win win in my books

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ettin posted:

Why would you waste the money putting him in a craft? DId you not read the bit about the budget emergency?

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Why are we discussion space-faring options when the ocean is largely unexplored?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Because he's literally a drop in the ocean of scum bag torture apologist pollies.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How soon you forget a little documentary called SeaQuest DSV

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*looks under a deep ocean rock and a bunch of Aquatic Peter Duttons swim away*

gently caress the ocean is horrifying

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
FYI there is such a thing as a sea potato.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Why shoot peter dutton into the sun when you could just shoot peter dutton?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

FYI there is such a thing as a sea potato.

I always pictured him more as a blobfish

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why shoot peter dutton into the sun when you could just shoot peter dutton?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
https://twitter.com/pompomtom/status/700950518428880896

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

So it turns out that the energy requirements to shoot someone to the sun are a lot more than what you would think. Its much cheaper to shoot them in a random direction away from the earth, and in this time of budget emergencies, we all need to tighten our belts and save money where we can.

Is there any sort of physical principle upholding this? I would imagine it would be the opposite and that the gravitational pull of the sun, no matter how weak from 1AU, would still make things a little easier than shooting in literally any other direction?

e: and furthermore, will Dutton be required to wear a helmet whilst being shot into the sun? I feel that the example set by him risking brain injury whilst being fired into a plasma furnace sets a bad example for society and furthermore: morals.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

How soon you forget a little documentary called SeaQuest DSV

I will never forget Roy Schneider. Or that guy who was apparently the result of a dolphin and a human having sex.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 20, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

Super idea a cash bonanza for battlers
Ker-ching! Part-timers and casual workers would get the option of a pay rise of up to $60 a week under a proposal to let people “opt out’’ of compulsory superannuation. But not everybody is convinced.

I have no words

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Is there any sort of physical principle upholding this? I would imagine it would be the opposite and that the gravitational pull of the sun, no matter how weak from 1AU, would still make things a little easier than shooting in literally any other direction?
The Earth is already moving through space, so anything we launch inherits some velocity. To hit the sun you need to slow down, and to leave the solar system you need to speed up, and the speed of the Earth makes it easier to do the latter than the former.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It's a matter of orbital energy levels, I believe.

At 1AU we're travelling at 30km/second and you need to bleed away most of that energy to travel into the inner solar system or you'll just be tossed back out.

Of course, a ballistic trajectory to the centre of the sun is probably simply because you're not wanting expecting your cargo to get there safely.

Why isn't that little girl a smilie yet?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Man I am probably going to fail at physics so hard next year. Lol.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Nah, you'll be right. Pay attention and do the exercises. That thing about requiring less energy to leave the solar system than hit the sun is unintuitive, but readily apparent once you know the numbers and the maths.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Think of a man spinning around holding a bucket on a string. With the bucket being the Earth and the man being the sun.

It takes a lot of energy to climb up the string to reach the man, but very little to be thrown out and away from the bucket.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Think of a man spinning around holding a bucket on a string. With the bucket being the Earth and the man being the sun.

It takes a lot of energy to climb up the string to reach the man, but very little to be thrown out and away from the bucket.

That is a brilliant analogy. Expect to be bothered by me a lot next year.

e: also thanks for the encouragement xPanda

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Spend a day playing with Kerbal Space Program and it will all just click.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Good morning Auspol, I got almost 6 hours sleep last night so to celebrate have a cartoon (no not that one, this one is good). :australia: is fukt, death is certain

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait but shouldn't gravity be pulling things towards the sun, doing the opposite of the centrifugal force with the bucket??

I'm not even taking physics but now I need to know how this works

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Birb Katter posted:

I did miss that, I thought they were just going after him for covering up the rest of the poo poo and lying about that.

I spent my youth as a misguided individual and grew up fairly heavily involved with the church so met this dude a few times. He creeped me the gently caress out, even as a kid. He'd always try to catch you when you were alone and give that mad power trip you submit to me handshake thing, kinda like this:

Whether he hosed kids or not, I don't know. Even as a 13 year old church loser he made me want to stay away from him because that was the vibe he gave of.

I remember priests doing this poo poo with their hands to me when I was a kid. What is up with that. I hated it

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

HookShot posted:

Wait but shouldn't gravity be pulling things towards the sun, doing the opposite of the centrifugal force with the bucket??

I'm not even taking physics but now I need to know how this works

It is doing that but gravity doesn't have anywhere near as much force so it's not going to have much effect.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

It is doing that but gravity doesn't have anywhere near as much force so it's not going to have much effect.

What's the force that's pulling things out of the solar system then?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Amethyst posted:

I remember priests doing this poo poo with their hands to me when I was a kid. What is up with that. I hated it

It's a dominance / submission thing. Hands perpendicular to the ground, ie both hands on even footing, shows equality. One hand pushing another to the ground / covering it shows dominance. It's a forgotten thing these days but was definitely a thing in my dads age.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

HookShot posted:

Nothing is pulling them out, earths momentum is pushing it out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

Ahhhh cool, thanks!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

HookShot posted:

That's just a product of the earths inertia. Reduce it to Newtonian laws and it becomes simpler.

Assume for ease of use a circular stable orbit. At any given point, the earth travels perpendicular to the Suns gravitational pull. If you were to stop gravity, inertia would carry the earth in a straight line perpendicular to the last point it was affected by gravity (think cutting the rope and the bucket flies off)

The effect of gravity is that it constantly changes the earths heading to keep it perpendicular to the gravitational force.

Centrifugal force isn't actually a thing, it's just a label given to the effects of inertia to make it possible to model something with a different frame of reference.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

Pull factors: never a thing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

That's just a product of the earths inertia. Reduce it to Newtonian laws and it becomes simpler.

Assume for ease of use a circular stable orbit. At any given point, the earth travels perpendicular to the Suns gravitational pull. If you were to stop gravity, inertia would carry the earth in a straight line perpendicular to the last point it was affected by gravity (think cutting the rope and the bucket flies off)

The effect of gravity is that it constantly changes the earths heading to keep it perpendicular to the gravitational force.

Centrifugal force isn't actually a thing, it's just a label given to the effects of inertia to make it possible to model something with a different frame of reference.

Science is so loving cool.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Pull factors: never a thing

You've obviously never seen me with my shirt off :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

HookShot posted:

Science is so loving cool.

That was your take away from this? Me, I'm finding a bucket and a string and going to spin around in circles giggling at how fun spinning buckets are.

• Locked thread