Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Clinton losing in the general for failing to actually address progressive issues would be good for the party in the long run

Let's just ignore the following 8 years of GOP leadership, foreverwar and the mighty fuckening of the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Was just about to post that.

Assuming the projection of a Hillary 6-point win is accurate, that means she'd be doing better than the "tied nationally" numbers, but only by a few points. Probably closer than she or her campaign would like.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

Clinton losing in the general for failing to actually address progressive issues would be good for the party in the long run

yeah the 1980s were spectacular for the democratic party

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Not just the party but America itself

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

The Saurus posted:

Sanderistas are going to pump for Trump in the general against Hillary dude.

My head would explode if this happened.

If she does win the nomination I would hope she learned a little something from the Bernie hype amongst young voters and doesn't cast them away. The Clintons might be vindictive, but I think they know when to bury the hatchet when it benefits them.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The Saurus posted:

I see that a lot on reddit, like "Oh well Trump is actually just lying about being conservative for votes, he'll be more liberal in office so he's better than Clinton". Which is so, so stupid. People with that opinion just want an angry white dude candidate.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I have no idea what the Democrats are supposed to stand for anymore. Republicans are some heinous regressive assholes but at least I know what they stand for.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

winning is always better

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
This is not a very convincing firewall. Also looking forward to exit polling that confirms Hillary represents old, rich voters.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Thump! posted:

Let's just ignore the following 8 years of GOP leadership, foreverwar and the mighty fuckening of the poor.

You'd get those under Hillary

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bullfrog posted:

I see that a lot on reddit, like "Oh well Trump is actually just lying about being conservative for votes, he'll be more liberal in office so he's better than Clinton". Which is so, so stupid. They just want an angry white dude candidate.

This is what a lot of youth voters thought about Reagan in the 80's.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The general is going to be Clinton vs. Rubio and it's going to have record low turnout. Your dog will die and your girlfriend will leave you, the end.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

I see that a lot on reddit, like "Oh well Trump is actually just lying about being conservative for votes, he'll be more liberal in office so he's better than Clinton". Which is so, so stupid. They just want an angry white dude candidate.

The BernieBros.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Slow Graffiti posted:

I just hope that if Hillary is the nominee they go out and vote for her in the general. Part of me is worried that a lot of the kids that are getting fired up for Bernie might become disillusioned with the process and stay home if he doesn't get the nom.

become disillusioned? :allears:

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Vox Nihili posted:

The general is going to be Clinton vs. Rubio and it's going to have record low turnout. Your dog will die and your girlfriend will leave you, the end.

Rubio wins by 1%, never shows up for work.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bullfrog posted:

I see that a lot on reddit, like "Oh well Trump is actually just lying about being conservative for votes, he'll be more liberal in office so he's better than Clinton". Which is so, so stupid. People with that opinion just want an angry white dude candidate.

Never go on reddit, hth.

Also, try maybe being less racist

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wheeee posted:

You'd get those under Hillary

She's slightly less worse. :smith:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

the trump tutelage posted:

I have no idea what the Democrats are supposed to stand for anymore. Republicans are some heinous regressive assholes but at least I know what they stand for.

You should probably let the Republicans know about this

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Zyla posted:

winning is always better

Winning creates more Hillary canadaites, losing convinces them her qualties (pro wallstreet, pro prison industrial complex, pro milltary) are bad and unelectable.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's adorable that millennials think that Clinton losing in the general will make the Dems swing left and not right :allears:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Saurus posted:

Why? I don't really see any overlap in their policy positions. Trump isn't going to give Sanderistas anything that they want. Is it a spite thing?

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Winning creates more Hillary canadaites, losing convinces them her qualties (pro wallstreet, pro prison industrial complex, pro milltary) are bad and unelectable.

Or that you're a voter likely to tantrum your way out of the process and they need to pick up votes from the right where people bother to vote.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Thump! posted:

She's extremely okay with the last other two things, and in fact would be as the GOP in the "forever war" department.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Yes. I've been to several of his events, including his annual Labor Day rally (which he wasn't at this year!) and have said "Hi" to him a couple times on Church St. when he was out shopping.

In person he's exactly like how he is on TV. Bernie never changes.

Do you support him for the nomination?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Firebert posted:

It's adorable that millennials think that Clinton losing in the general will make the Dems swing left and not right :allears:

hmm... seems like even less reason to vote for people who don't represent my interests on the best of days.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Thump! posted:

I suspect you're just talking to a wall, here. Most of the people stridently preaching ideological purity are, strangely enough, the kind of people with the least to lose under the coming of the Trumpenreich. It's easy to screech about the "long view" and accelerationism when you're swinging above a safety net of privilege.

I agree with Bernie's argument, and I'm voting for him (if I get the chance) in my late primary, but I think it's pretty dumb to just throw your hands up in the air and join some internet circle jerk while some dude who represents policy positions that are a 180 from your own gets elected.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Firebert posted:

I mean, that's what happened when the Yippies heightened the contradictions, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NutritiousSnack posted:

No it doesn't.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phlegmish posted:

Do you support him for the nomination?

I'll be voting for him on March 1.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

U-DO Burger posted:

Why? I don't really see any overlap in their policy positions. Trump isn't going to give Sanderistas anything that they want. Is it a spite thing?

yes.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Beforehand posted:

Or that you're a voter likely to tantrum your way out of the process and they need to pick up votes from the right where people bother to vote.

Me: Hilary Clinton is lovely person and canadite.

Goon: So? Think of how things would be mildly worse with her in charge

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

so what exactly happens if bernie were to drop out and then give a full-throated endorsement of hillary/campaign for her/etc. will all his diehard supporters just turn around and call him a liar? i mean the 2008 primary was probably way worse it was only a tiny vocal minority of hillary supporters that refused to come back to the fold after she started supporting obama

not saying that's what's gonna happen but genuinely curious as to what motivates a candidate's supporters to turn their back on what the candidate pushes for

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
As long as inequality continues to deepen, the populist wave will only get bigger. Even if this election comes down to Clinton/Rubio, the conditions that created the success of Trump and Sanders will only create more future candidates that will try to emulate them.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Vox Nihili posted:

Turnout is hopefully gonna be high on both sides because of the supreme court pick.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Not a Step posted:

Never go on reddit, hth.

Also, try maybe being less racist

I hung out some friends last night who I hadn't seen in a while, and I was just trying to yank the chain of a guy who is a "liberaltarian" about whether he was voting for Trump or Sanders. I had forgotten that he was gonna take that and in it turn a half-hour long argument about minutiae, so I quickly left to hang out with people at the other side of the table while he argued with someone over whether Obama had the obligation to tell the FBI to not try to get the San Bernadino phone decrypted or whatever else they argued about

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Slow Graffiti posted:

I just hope that if Hillary is the nominee they go out and vote for her in the general. Part of me is worried that a lot of the kids that are getting fired up for Bernie might become disillusioned with the process and stay home if he doesn't get the nom.

The math is so favorable for democrats that Hillary would have to be a massive failure of a candidate to lose the general.

It looks like Bernie isn't going to be able to pull this out which increases my chances of casting a vote for Trump significantly. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

so loving future posted:

become disillusioned? :allears:

Good point, though I was referencing another poster's happiness at seeing a lot of college students coming out to support Bernie and getting involved in the process. Perhaps I should have said I hope they don't decide that voting isn't worth their time just because their candidate lost.

I've been voting since 1994 and can't remember the last time I wasn't disillusioned by the whole system. However, I still keep voting.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Me: Hilary Clinton is lovely person and canadite.

Goon: So? Think of how things would be mildly worse with her in charge

Doesn't seem like the conversation actually being had, but that's fine, I guess.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

U-DO Burger posted:

Why? I don't really see any overlap in their policy positions.

Are you loving kidding me.

Maybe try actually checking out their policy positions in the future before making yourself look like a big dumb idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Bernie is performing insanely well for the limited resources he has, but he is ultimately outgunned by Hillary, who for instance, paid Katy Perry $70,000.00 for an event. The Hollywood elite are coming out of the Hollywoodwork and endorsing her, etc. etc.

• Locked thread