Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

That was your take away from this? Me, I'm finding a bucket and a string and going to spin around in circles giggling at how fun spinning buckets are.

Also a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Birb Katter posted:

Me, I'm finding a bucket and a string and going to spin around in circles giggling at how fun spinning buckets are.

sounds good to me

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Conservatives disliking the amount of attention the #LadyCilento hashtag is gaining, trending worldwide now, not just australia.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

tithin posted:

Conservatives disliking the amount of attention the #LadyCilento hashtag is gaining, trending worldwide now, not just australia.

A sharp comment from a person who, to the amazement of everyone, has actually hosed a dog

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

tithin posted:

Those poor darlings, having their limelight stolen by an actual human rights issue rather than their vitriolic hate speech.

Get in the loving sea, Miranda Devine. Not sure about Kenny though. Seals might be too close to let him safely invade a marine habitat.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

It's a dominance / submission thing. Hands perpendicular to the ground, ie both hands on even footing, shows equality. One hand pushing another to the ground / covering it shows dominance. It's a forgotten thing these days but was definitely a thing in my dads age.

Lmfao

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
What union is appropriate for university admin staff?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

I have no words

Opting out of super is a great way for the government to put more money in the hands of low income earners without affecting the budget, and all it means is long term pain for individuals and the country.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Solemn Sloth posted:

I have no words

You know all that poo poo the union movement has fought for for over a century? Forget that stuff. Put all that in the bin where it belongs and CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME. That retail sector isn't going to simulate itself. Or at least not with our precious corporate subsidy money. BUT THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT, SPEND YOU CRETINS

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Big Willy Style posted:

What union is appropriate for university admin staff?

NTEU?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

Doing a good impression of big babies though.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Cool, for some reason I thought they were only for academics

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Big Willy Style posted:

They may well be, but it seems like there's a common enemy.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big Willy Style posted:

They're for support staff too, and they're pretty good.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know what we can do if the real estate has said they won't renew the lease on our house but also won't let us leave? We've had a lot of problems here, and I'm pretty convinced it's because we told the property manager to get hosed when she tried to constantly overstep her bounds and acted illegally. For instance, we have outdoor bird cages, and she tried to breach us for them being visible from the street. There's also a snake proof barrier around the cages she breached us for as well and we told her to gently caress off, because her only acceptable spot for it was under the rear veranda where it's constantly damp and dark, and floods when it rains. She also threatened us because there were leaves on the roof that was under multiple big old gum trees. Not even a lot, it was the fact they were visible when you go to the back of the property and up a hill was "evidence" we weren't keeping the property clean. During inspections she comes in with a camera and starts opening cupboards and wardrobes and taking photos. She's a real poo poo of a person and we breached her for multiple cases of breach of right to quiet enjoyment.

There's also several problems with this house because the people who renovated it probably saw the last episode of the block and tried to give it a go. I'm talking stuff like the ensuite shower sloping away from the drain and having no lip so it floods when you use it, when the kitchen light has a blown globe turning it on trips the breaker and cuts power to the house, the front door frame was never actually attached to the frame of the house and started coming away from the door, taking 2 windows with it. There's also the fact the property manager wants us to pay for the bamboo floor in the kitchen getting damaged by water when the owners dishwasher broke before we moved in and spilled water on the floor that by design isn't supposed to get wet.

What can we do here that allows us to leave and get a house with a more sane real estate that doesn't involve us having to stay until the last day of the lease or be stuck with fees/lose the bond?

E: With the bird cage thing, she started to say the body corporate complained to her. The manager of the body corporate is our neighbour. No one complained about poo poo and he gave us a letter to prove it. The property manager is a power tripping rear end in a top hat.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 21, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
what does the lease say about notice? what is the lease term how long is there left to go aaaaarrrvv

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Lease term was 1 year, its out first year, and it ends at the end of march. We got told about it not being renewed like a month ago and have missed out on some really good properties that suit out needs way better than here does and are also closer to pretty much everything important because of not being allowed to leave. You'd think if we went to the manager and said "ok you want us gone lets make this happen" a sane, reasonable person would make that happen and get tenants that are ok with being bullied, but well.

Not sure if the lease says anything about notice but if we leave early we have to pay all the remaining rent + 2 weeks extra + lose the bond.

E: It's a relatively minor thing to use to show this but the owners rushed renovating so hard they didn't even change the little box inside the fans in the bedrooms so 1 remote could control every light and fan in the house. I fixed that myself, there's a little box inside the fan and the remote that you can change the code with. Would have taken literally 1 second when they installed them but :effort:. Loads of things in this house are like that.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
okay here is my legal advice:

burn it down.

blessed be the torch.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Lease term was 1 year, its out first year, and it ends at the end of march. We got told about it not being renewed like a month ago and have missed out on some really good properties that suit out needs way better than here does and are also closer to pretty much everything important because of not being allowed to leave. You'd think if we went to the manager and said "ok you want us gone lets make this happen" a sane, reasonable person would make that happen and get tenants that are ok with being bullied, but well.

Not sure if the lease says anything about notice but if we leave early we have to pay all the remaining rent + 2 weeks extra + lose the bond.

E: It's a relatively minor thing to use to show this but the owners rushed renovating so hard they didn't even change the little box inside the fans in the bedrooms so 1 remote could control every light and fan in the house. I fixed that myself, there's a little box inside the fan and the remote that you can change the code with. Would have taken literally 1 second when they installed them but :effort:. Loads of things in this house are like that.

What ever you get going now won't happen before the end of March. You can start fighting now and hope to try claim some money back, start fighting anyway because you're not going to get your bond back without a massive gently caress off fight, but getting out of your lease early isn't going to happen.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
ill play with the kitchen light that shorts the house until it sets the roof alight.

Birb Katter posted:

What ever you get going now won't happen before the end of March. You can start fighting now and hope to try claim some money back, start fighting anyway because you're not going to get your bond back without a massive gently caress off fight, but getting out of your lease early isn't going to happen.

We are thinking about issuing breach notices for every single little thing thats gone wrong in the house, then breaching them again for the quiet enjoyment stuff because of the constant letters about the floor the owner caused to be damaged. She's going to have a very fun week of paperwork but if she doesn't sort it out we can use that to break the lease and get the bond back right? Some of this stuff has been reported 2-3 times before.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

IANAL What state?

In every state I know of the tenant has way more rights than the landlord to prevent this sort of arsehattery. That early leaving clause sounds like it would fail to be acceptable under the NSW residential tenancy act. The bond is expressly considered to be not for these sort of purposes and if you opposed this use with the rental bond board I'm thinking you would win. Even though the NSW residential tenancy agreement allows for the landlord, or their agent, to insert what ever they want at clause 41 if the clause doesn't comply with the provisions of the Act or Regulations it is null and void.

All those issues with the house? They should have already been fixed. You are likely entitled to a rent reduction for the lack of amenity from when you first reported them to the agent. In my experience real estate agents playing :toughguy: are likely to have the bat stuck where the sun doesn't shine once it gets to Fair Trading.

By not fixing some of these items in a timely manner the lessor may already have broken the lease. That may be an angle worth pursuing if you just want to get the gently caress out.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Queensland.

We want out, we just can't afford to lose all that money. Going to tribunal is an option but we really don't want to drag it out. I'll call the rta and see that they say.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

tithin posted:

Not the real Miranda, sadly

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Big Willy Style posted:

All of the 4 unis I've been at have had their enterprise/collective agreements publicly available, including details of which unions were involved in negotiations, so it might be worth doing a bit of hunting to see what your institution does. I'm in the NTEU, which does cover most academic and professional staff, although United Voice, AMWU, and CPSU have been involved representing some of the university staff (eg maintenance/cleaning/childcare facilities).

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Bill Shorten coming out strong against Turnbull et al

https://twitter.com/FJKeany/status/701223262760472578

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Birb Katter posted:

Bill Shorten coming out strong against Turnbull et al

https://twitter.com/FJKeany/status/701223262760472578

Where is that video of Shorten getting rekt by people protesting at his medicare speech

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Our politicians should therefore boycott all hospitals forever. In the interest of fairness.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-21/protesters-vow-to-block-cars-if-baby-asha-is-deported/7187278

quote:

Baby Asha: Protesters vow to put bodies on the line to prevent baby's offshore removal Updated 25 minutes ago

Protesters rallying outside a Brisbane hospital in support of baby Asha say they will put themselves in front of cars to prevent her from being returned to the Nauru detention centre.

Key points:

Protesters remain outside Lady Cilento Children's Hospital amid concern Asha would be moved to detention on Nauru
Hospital spokesman said staff unaware of any immediate plans to move Asha
Immigration Department still negotiating with hospital's doctors
Baby Asha was treated at Brisbane's Lady Cilento Children's Hospital after she was injured in immigration detention on Nauru last month.

Asha's injuries have since healed, but doctors are refusing to discharge her until a safe home is found. The child's fate has been the centrepoint of a week-long protest at the hospital, with dozens of protesters continuing to rally outside the building's entrance today. Protesters said they would be satisfied if the one-year-old was moved to community detention in Brisbane, where she would be housed with her mother. On Saturday night, hundreds of protesters surrounded exit points at the hospital amid reports there were plans to move Asha and her family to immigration detention.

They said they would put their bodies on the line to prevent Asha's offshore removal.

"It's difficult but people are prepared to put themselves in front of vehicles to try to prevent that from happening," said Mark Gillespie, from the Refugee Action Collective. "People are vigilant. We're not relaxing until we get a better outcome," he said. Meanwhile, federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has contacted Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to seek assurances that the Government is following correct procedures in relation to the case. Earlier, Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said Mr Turnbull was out of touch with the Australian public on the issue. "We have the mother and the father of a small baby not being able to speak to their lawyers, let alone answer the phone," she said. "The Prime Minister really needs to step in now. What is Malcolm Turnbull doing? A one-year-old baby born here in Australia, he should simply give up the game and let her stay."

AMA federal president Brian Owler took to Twitter today in support of doctors and nurses at Lady Cilento, with the hashtag #healthasylum also trending on Twitter. A media report earlier suggested immigration officials were ready to move Asha and her family into community detention. A Lady Cilento Children's Hospital spokesman said Asha remained a patient and that staff were unaware of any immediate plans to move her. An Immigration Department spokesman said nothing has changed and negotiations are continuing with doctors over the baby's future.

Looks like the flood gates of opinion are finally opening on the side of actually acting with compassion. Is this some kind of weird reverse compassion fatigue? The longer the stand off goes on the bigger this story will get.

What's going on with the CFMEU and the courts? It was mentioned on the RN news but I can't find any online coverage and it sounds dodgy as all gently caress.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You do realise that this term is terribly insensitive to the lactose intolerant, who are mostly of Asian origin. Crypto-fascist racism at it's most obvious!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon posted:

You do realise that this term is terribly insensitive to the lactose intolerant, who are mostly of Asian origin. Crypto-fascist racism at it's most obvious!

Don't forget the gluten intolerant who are mostly upper-middle class white people.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Birb Katter posted:

Don't forget the gluten intolerant who are mostly upper-middle class white people.
I wasn't forgetting them. It's just that it is my sworn responsibility as a latté slurping tree hugger to gently caress them over at every opportunity. Fight The Power!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
almond-milque rice-toast

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon posted:

What's going on with the CFMEU and the courts? It was mentioned on the RN news but I can't find any online coverage and it sounds dodgy as all gently caress.

ABC has your back.

the loving hippies at the ABC posted:

Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) national secretary Michael O'Connor is among 13 union officials in New South Wales accused of unlawful blockades and work disruptions in a campaign targeting a Sydney concrete pumping firm.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Looks like they're already trying to back out of super opt-out

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wouldn't the super industry run ads forever against it e.g Mining Tax?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

Wouldn't the super industry run ads forever against it e.g Mining Tax?

It's only opt-out for poors

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah but then liberals can make arguements like they do with union membership fees.

Why pay, it does nothing for me short term. Id rather buy Jim Bean.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zenithe posted:

almond-milque rice-toast

I have a nut allergy you piece of poo poo

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Keeping with Labor coming out strong in support of refugees

It's safe to say that they're not going to flip on this to brand themselves as a progressive party anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DUTTON IS TO THE LEFT OF LABOR

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/701245434061193216

• Locked thread