Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If there was one(1) take out message from the NTATA disaster it was thought bubble policy on the run was death. Looks like Barnaby may actually be every bit as oblivious as he looks despite some claims that he was a clever piece of theatre for his constituents.

The super industry actually loves the poors. Their fee structure is based on a per account basis. They make a similar amount from each of the millions of poors accounts as they do from the few really rich fucks accounts and really rich fucks are much more likely to be in an alternative self funded style scheme. The ideal super industry client is a casually employed poor who has their super put into at least as many separate funds as they have employers. With any luck the super funds get to keep ALL the compulsory super and client Poor McSchmuck can hop on the OAP later. Win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

Id rather buy Jim Bean.

Superego rather buy James Squirt.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birb Katter posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DUTTON IS TO THE LEFT OF LABOR

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/701245434061193216

Is this real life

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birb Katter posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DUTTON IS TO THE LEFT OF LABOR

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/701245434061193216

:laffo:

But hey, this is a good outcome. Not the one I expected by a long shot, but good.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Endman posted:

:laffo:

But hey, this is a good outcome. Not the one I expected by a long shot, but good.

It's not good, it's minimum viable empathy, driven by international embarrassment. #LadyCilento was trending internationally on Twitter.

edit: Not to say Twitter changed their mind, just as an example of the attention it was getting.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birb Katter posted:

It's not good, it's minimum viable empathy, driven by international embarrassment. #LadyCilento was trending internationally on Twitter.

edit: Not to say Twitter changed their mind, just as an example of the attention it was getting.

This government displaying the bare minimum for human empathy is pretty good in the context of their previous behaviour.

We're bare minimum! Aussie aussie aussie! Oi oi o-:suicide:

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Birb Katter posted:

It's only opt-out for poors

That's still a lot of cream that can be skimmed with minimal effort they could miss out on over the long run

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Endman posted:

This government displaying the bare minimum for human empathy is pretty good in the context of their previous behaviour.

We're bare minimum! Aussie aussie aussie! Oi oi o-:suicide:

It's also a clear admission that offshore detention isn't, in any way, "necessary"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
EH Dutton's thing doesn't rule out Nauru at all anyway, so there's no victory here yet.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Recoome posted:

EH Dutton's thing doesn't rule out Nauru at all anyway, so there's no victory here yet.

Yeah, after reading a bit more about it the whole thing just looks like an excuse to get the baby away from doctors so they can ship it back to Nauru.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Yeah, after reading a bit more about it the whole thing just looks like an excuse to get the baby away from doctors so they can ship it back to Nauru.

There was this wave of celebration but I think it is a clever ploy to try and suck the energy out of the protest movement at the hospital.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Looks like the flood gates of opinion are finally opening on the side of actually acting with compassion. Is this some kind of weird reverse compassion fatigue? The longer the stand off goes on the bigger this story will get.

Just don't look too wide or you'll see all the horrible scumfucks saying that doctors should stick to doing their jobs and stop being all political and just give the baby back to be tortured some more.

drat doctors, caring about a baby's wellbeing :argh:

Cartoon posted:

You do realise that this term is terribly insensitive to the lactose intolerant, who are mostly of Asian origin. Crypto-fascist racism at it's most obvious!

Actually, it's like 80% of the population of the world that's naturally lactose intolerant after infancy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
80% of the world knows how to activate almonds.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gorilla Salad posted:

Actually, it's like 80% of the population of the world that's naturally lactose intolerant after infancy.

Nice of you to exclude infants you ageist scum.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/james.saunders.54772/videos/vb.100000581831129/1273047176057998/?type=2&theater

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

Reading the ABC on it, it sounds like that will only happen if they aren't deemed to be refugees.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You can practically hear his missing teeth.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Reading the ABC on it, it sounds like that will only happen if they aren't deemed to be refugees.

The quote from Dutton was "As I say, that's what we've proposed all along but at some point, if people have matters finalised in Australia, then they will be returning to Nauru."

So while I suppose they wouldn't be going to Nauru straight away, there's still no guarantee given how little oversight and reporting responsibilities these guys have.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Isn't it amazing how apparently Ned Kelly, who quite literally hated the authorities and was persecuted by them, is somehow linked to loving a flag? A flag which wasn't even around when he died.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Hooray for Rob Thomas.

nein posted:

Matchbox 20 frontman Rob Thomas makes racist joke during Melbourne show

Matchbox 20 frontman Rob Thomas has been forced to apologise after making a racist joke about Aboriginals during a solo show in Melbourne last night.

Video shows Thomas on stage at the Rod Laver Arena telling his audience how he copes with long flights.

“I’ve been doing it for so long, I’ve got the jet lag figured out,” he said. “What you do is, when you get on the plane on your way here, you start drinking.”

The audience laughs and cheers in response.

“And then I drink until I think I’m Australian,” he says, before adding: “And I keep drinking until I think I’m a black Australian.”

A collective groan and some boos can be heard in the crowd.

At least there were groans and some boo's.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birb Katter posted:

Hooray for Rob Thomas.

At least there were groans and some boo's.

Weird that someone from a 90s pop rock group is actually garbage

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Solemn Sloth posted:

The question is, was he garbage before he got here or is Australia rubbing off on him?

It really is a chicken / egg situation.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
i was an actual Arts student at university when the protests against the iraq war were on

hundreds of thousands of people, many more than the current protests against offshore detention

at the next election, the tories got up with an increased majority

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
That some great insight brother

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

even Shortens own frontbenchers dont expect him to win.

retiring frontbencher Gary Gray declaring the party is "highly unlikely" to win the next election.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...217-gmw54h.html

malcolm turnbull could announce tomorrow that every asylum seeker is to be subjected to mandatory waterboarding and still win.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

even Shortens own frontbenchers dont expect him to win.

retiring frontbencher Gary Gray declaring the party is "highly unlikely" to win the next election.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...217-gmw54h.html

malcolm turnbull could announce tomorrow that every asylum seeker is to be subjected to mandatory waterboarding and still win.

Well yeah, with a policy announcement like that, he'd be a shoe-in.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Negligent posted:

If MT announced that tomorrow, Shorten would agree with him the by that afternoon.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

well yeah, BS is terrified of the wedge issue and will go to great lengths up to and including authoristing torture to nullify it. dude wants to fight the next election on his terms and if it means a bunch of brown people get tortured then so be it

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Negligent posted:

well yeah, BS is terrified of the wedge issue and will go to great lengths up to and including authoristing torture to nullify it. dude wants to fight the next election on his terms and if it means a bunch of brown people get tortured then so be it

Listen, you don't get to say brown people.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is this a Shirley Manson joke?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten could be okay if he had more bravery. Even Kim Beazley had the balls to oppose Howard occasionally.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Bill Shorten would be better if he had more personality than a wet cardboard box.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Endman posted:

Bill Shorten would be better if he had more personality than a wet cardboard box.

If you watch him in QT he actually does. He loving shelves the poo poo out of it though. It's like they think by not making a fuss they're not a target. Problem is no one will target them at the ballot box either.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

If you watch him in QT he actually does. He loving shelves the poo poo out of it though. It's like they think by not making a fuss they're not a target. Problem is no one will target them at the ballot box either.

Seems like an ALP disease. Gillard was great in the house too, but every press conference she gave was wooden as hell.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Brawn people.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Listen, you don't get to say brown people.

Is this a Shirley Manson joke?

Garbage is more alt rock IMO

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anything interesting in the 60 minutes housing bubble special?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten is drinking a non alcoholic beverage for the first time since September.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten is drinking a non alcoholic beverage for the first time since September.

No mate I think his coke has some Jim Bean in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/xTUbzcq.gifv

• Locked thread