Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What is this from?

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, obviously, but if the reason for that drop in value is the bizarre habits of coin collectors rather than something more fundamental in what the person did, it reflects less on the guy than on who he's trying to sell it to.
I will never understand people paying these ridiculous prices for things just because they're old. It's not like we've somehow lost the technology to make a coin like that, you could make a perfect copy if that were somehow a worthwhile thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh poo poo epic burn picture caption.

Yeah, Brits are top-notch on geography.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/happy-thanksgiving-we-are-very-sorry#.vdZP6wLwRx

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tiggum posted:

I will never understand people paying these ridiculous prices for things just because they're old. It's not like we've somehow lost the technology to make a coin like that, you could make a perfect copy if that were somehow a worthwhile thing to do.

People like owning valuable things. A replica 1860 $20 gold coin has no market value beyond its weight in gold. A genuine, unaltered 1860 $20 gold coin is much more valuable because it has history and provenance from that period. Same applies to literally any other historical artifact, particularly if there are people interested in owning such artifacts.

It's kind of like the difference between owning a genuine Van Gogh and owning a reproduction of Starry Night you ran off at Kinko's. One was painted by the nutter himself, the other was printed by a philistine who doesn't understand the point of a show piece.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Coin collectors and values aside, the same "don't loving try to make it better, idiot" principles apply to the handling any historical artifact. Archivists, archeologists, curators, and professional restoration experts have extremely complex ethical codes and procedureal guidelines for handling, cleaning, and "improving" old things of historical significance. EG if you find an old print book in a ratty brown falling-apart leather cover, with the stitching coming out, don't take it to a book binder and have a new cover put on it with new stitching. The people who are interested in such things are interested in every feature of the item, and want to preserve everything. Some of the ignorant poo poo I've seen done to old books in the name of "improving" them is loving madness.

If you want to get an earful, phone up an archaeologist and say "hey I found this neat thing in the ground, want to see it? Oh I've already scrubbed it with a good brush and soap and water for you, and put a new handle on it. And I threw out all of the rotten leather. It's perfect and ready for you to study!"

This is the best part of every Antiques Roadshow.

Except a lot of times it's someone's relative or a previous owner that did the damage.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Parts Kit posted:

Funny, I remember people saying the same thing 8 years ago about someone else.

When you've got a deliberately obstructive house, senate and congress, businesses propping up every goddamn initiative they can to shut you down and economic sabotage and corruption stretching back to Reagan, I ain't surprised that things haven't improved much in under a decade.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What is this from?

I will never understand people making these ridiculous shitposts just because they can. It's not like we've somehow lost the technology to make a good post, you could make a perfect post if that were somehow a thing you set your mind to.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Coin collectors and values aside, the same "don't loving try to make it better, idiot" principles apply to the handling any historical artifact. Archivists, archeologists, curators, and professional restoration experts have extremely complex ethical codes and procedureal guidelines for handling, cleaning, and "improving" old things of historical significance. EG if you find an old print book in a ratty brown falling-apart leather cover, with the stitching coming out, don't take it to a book binder and have a new cover put on it with new stitching. The people who are interested in such things are interested in every feature of the item, and want to preserve everything. Some of the ignorant poo poo I've seen done to old books in the name of "improving" them is loving madness.

If you want to get an earful, phone up an archaeologist and say "hey I found this neat thing in the ground, want to see it? Oh I've already scrubbed it with a good brush and soap and water for you, and put a new handle on it. And I threw out all of the rotten leather. It's perfect and ready for you to study!"

It's why armour past a certain point are suddenly super gaudy as gently caress with tonnes of tiny details, embellishments and polished so thin it's like a mirror. It would never be able to be used in battle, and wasn't. Collectors at the time either bought up suits and had them redone to look even more expensive (destroying the functionality of it) or they found ceremonial pieces that were meant for decoration or god worshipping and tried to pass it off as genuinely used in battle. The very, very few that were actually embossed at the time or had different type of metal added for contrast were basically only worn by kings, extremely rich nobles or used solely for festivals. By the time the techniques were good enough they moved on from making platemail anyway.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-02-20/powerhouse-hickey-breaks-wangaratta-fence

Being in the crowd at the AFL is dangerous

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Stupid coin derail and no one's going to comment on this idiot? :allears:

Yes, not knowing an entire country exists is the same as not being able to place all of the states in the US. Which they don't live in.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

When you've got a deliberately obstructive house, senate and congress, businesses propping up every goddamn initiative they can to shut you down and economic sabotage and corruption stretching back to Reagan, I ain't surprised that things haven't improved much in under a decade.

It is a mess but at least we have the second amendment.

Oh wait, that just makes things stupider.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ante posted:

Yes, not knowing an entire country exists is the same as not being able to place all of the states in the US. Which they don't live in.

An entire country that's smaller than half the states in the U.S., and hasn't made international news since Noriega?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ante posted:

I think this may be done a bit tongue in cheek for some reason.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
Hard to believe that not a great deal of international importance has happened in most of the American states since god knows loving when?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Davfff posted:

Hard to believe that not a great deal of international importance has happened in most of the American states since god knows loving when?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

People killed by cops?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Spectral Debt posted:

People killed by cops?

I was thinking mass shootings.

ninja edit: reverse gis says I win

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

International importance. Nutters shooting up civillians in the US is very sad, but it's ultimately not our problem.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean a few get reported overseas, but if not just "in America" these things tend to be identified by city, which rarely indicate state.

Man, this is a silly derail.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

US_Population_Density.jpg

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Centripetal Horse posted:

Does anyone else remember the helmet-cam video from a competitor in a downhill bicycle race (I think), where he comes to a sharp/poorly-marked corner, and just flies off a cliff? I'm pretty sure there are other bicyclists down there, and/or one or two more come sailing over the edge in the same spot as the guy doing the filming. I've found a lot of mountain-biking accident videos, but I can't seem to find this particular one.

It's just a few friends on holiday at a biking resort, the corner is awfully marked though and they all just go sailing off it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46HJbbIWlA

*edit: it's right at the start of the video too, looks like they just got started.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Yeah that looked pretty frightening for all 3 individuals involved, perhaps even shocking the whole crowd of 300.

How is afl sustainable with such lovely attendance?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Right at the very end of the old-coin-ruined-by-polishing-it video -
"It's the worst tragedy I've ever seen."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Stoatbringer posted:

A second polishing rag is hitting the coin!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah that looked pretty frightening for all 3 individuals involved, perhaps even shocking the whole crowd of 300.

Because this is a preseason game (Essentially a friendly) held way out in the country. Since it's a NAB cup game, everybody knows that none of the teams take it seriously so the matches themselves don't matter.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

AFL has the 4th highest avg attendance of any domestic league in the world.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

88h88 posted:

It's just a few friends on holiday at a biking resort, the corner is awfully marked though and they all just go sailing off it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46HJbbIWlA

*edit: it's right at the start of the video too, looks like they just got started.

this is why you always do a walk-through of a course before you ride it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Stoatbringer posted:

I'd imagine within the scope his professional career it probably qualifies, given that it was the topic of the conversation. This isn't difficult to parse or strange.

Goons.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Scarf posted:

this is why you always do a walk-through of a course before you ride it.

Ideally, yeah but when you're riding from the top of a mountain you'd spend all day walking it... And besides, it's more fun to just pin it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Imgur gallery http://imgur.com/gallery/dUykU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

KazigluBey posted:

I'd imagine within the scope his professional career it probably qualifies, given that it was the topic of the conversation. This isn't difficult to parse or strange.

Goons.

Yea, goons don't do context very well.

Nuebot posted:

A second polishing rag is hitting the coin!

This needs more love.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

13Pandora13 posted:

I have something that will break your heart: I own a dresser and two small tables that were originally purchased by my great-great grandparents (I'm in my late 20s). They are solid white mahogany.

There are no less than 6 coats of lovely paint on them, most recently spray painted black from the late 90s (my parents).

One day I will strip them (there's undoubtedly a lead based paint on at least one layer so that'll be fun) and try to restore them but ultimately the damage is done. :negative:

:negative:

I feel your pain. I've got an antique mission dresser that my grandmother gave my mom when I was born. It had already been painted and my mom wanted to strip the paint and refinish it, but my grandmother said "No, it's just an old piece of furniture, just repaint it," which my mom did.

Years later I finally did strip the paint and refinish it, and it's gorgeous, but any value it has now is strictly sentimental.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Tiggum posted:

What is this from?

Looks like it's from Fox News, interviewing Noel Fielding.

Noel Fielding is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoY4TyiiuZQ

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Anora posted:

No he's not, he's sitting next to Russell Brand, I'm loving amazing if I'm sitting next to Russell Brand.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

They all instantly realize how easily this could have been prevented. So good.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

yaffle posted:

No he's not, he's sitting next to Russell Brand, I'm loving amazing if I'm sitting next to Russell Brand.

Agreed, Brand makes everyone seem amazing by comparison, but tbf, Noel is awesome no matter who he's sat next to. I particularly love his interactions with Richard Ayoade. :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anora posted:

i can't tell if you're making a joke or are just really dumb

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is my favourite Noel Fielding clip because he looks like a complete twat when called out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWmNTtJ-OPI

Also Noel in drag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

MisterOblivious posted:

US_Population_Density.jpg

Well, lead IS an incredibly dense metal...