Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

San Fran has had wage bloat problems for YEARS, but only when this crybaby white girl who has never held a job before is infuriated that her minimum wage job isn't paying enough for her lovely life choices, do we truly see the extent of the problem.

It's like that guy on DeviantArt who didn't feel that bad for holocaust victims until someone started shopping My Little Ponys into Auschwitz.

*Mexican dude sells oranges/strawberries/flowers on the neighborhood corner, sleeps in a studio apartment shared with 9 other fruit vendors with the interior arranged like a cramped barracks*
:smug: "Eh, if they don't like it they can always go back to Mexico."

*White girl upset she can't live by herself in an apartment while making minimum wage in one of the most expensive parts of the country*
:byodood: "Income inequality is a huge problem! We have to do something about stagnant wages!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Cartouche posted:

Literally starving on rice alone. Has at least 3 full size chef knives, one appears to be ceramic.

tbf they could be christmas or birthday presents from her parents or something along those lines

i would imagine, like most millennials, parents still provide money to her in some fashion, whether it's actual money or ceramic knives

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

well, the best presents her parents gave her, was, the big boobs I heard about earlier. maybe lets think about them, and see them, if possible

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did she at least do any internships making memes and tweets while she was in school?

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

ProperCoochie posted:

why does every millenial have a firstnamelastname.com domain?

Because I ain't releasing penisclowns.com for no less than six billion dollars.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

I hate yankees posted:

tbf they could be christmas or birthday presents from her parents or something along those lines

i would imagine, like most millennials, parents still provide money to her in some fashion, whether it's actual money or ceramic knives

I can totally see this. I know several Millennials that live on their own but get some degree of 'allowance' from their family. While it must be nice, I can only wonder how insufferable they must be to have their parents pay their kids to not live with them.

Interestingly enough, cultures where it is normal for people to live with their parents/extended families into adulthood are often doing fine; there's no (or less) stigma of living with your parents but since its a cultural norm and not a product of the economy/laziness/failure to launch people actually strive to get along with their families and contribute around the house. They're also better at maintaining good credit as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
gently caress my family the only love I need is the love for the market that gives me enough to afford a steady diet of reality tv and beer so I can cope with the total lack of meaning in my life.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

tuyop posted:

gently caress my family the only love I need is the love for the market that gives me enough to afford a steady diet of reality tv and beer so I can cope with the total lack of meaning in my life.

gently caress your famil

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poors are sub-human & deserve to be driven into the sea. Vote TRUMP.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Her sob story is interesting if you look at the things she goes into a lot of detail about, and the things she omits.

-We don't know if she owns a car, and if she takes a car+BART or just BART. However, her commute to work every day on BART would be very easy to budget since it will be the same price every day; every time you use Clipper it also tells you your remaining balance so you're going to know when you run out of money. So I'm interested in the circumstances in which she would be stranded in CVS (presumably to reload her clipper card balance? except I'm pretty sure you can do that online like FastTrak).

-She is really vague about where she is from and the reasons she left, only that she moved to the Bay Area to be 'close to her dad'. I guess temporarily living with her dad was not an option? If I were in her shoes, I'd look into cohabiting with Dad, offer to contribute to expenses but leverage the savings toward building an emergency fund/cupcakes/whatever. Apparently you had to work at Yelp for a year before you could get promoted? Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to live with her dad during that time until she could get promoted/find a better paying job and be stable on her own?

-What kind of sketchy rear end apartment complex will rent out a place to someone for $1250 when they only make $1400 a month?

The kind of apartments I saw that were 1250ish ten years ago required pay stubs, credit check, and wouldn't rent to people that netted less than 3x the rent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

crabcakes66 posted:

I don't think anyone is seriously arguing things aren't hosed. We do need real wage growth. $21/h isn't going to happen but we should at least try to raise the minimum wage. We do need single-payer healthcare. We do need to do something about lower income people getting squeezed out of cities and poo poo on in-general. And yeah all of that probably means raising taxes on everyone, especially people making a couple hundred grand a year or more.

But none of that makes this stupid bitch any less of an idiot with poor planning skills and a spoiled rotten personality. This is not the hill for progressives to die on.

Exactly. I think the minimum wage does need to be higher, especially in expensive areas. I do think that income disparity has gotten ridiculously loving horrible. I do think CEOs getting paid 50 million dollars to run a company into the ground is bullshit. I do think that people born with a silver spoon up their rear end paying 12% in taxes while middle class people are paying 20%+ is total poo poo.

But none of that has any bearing on what I think about this entitled retard that has wound up in a lovely situation due to making the worst choices possible over and over and over again.

I love the Bay Area. I'd love to live in the Bay Area. But I am not willing to sacrifice the lifestyle I have living somewhere that's 10x cheaper in order to move there. Some people are, good for them. But someone with no real skills or experience expecting to move there to take a lovely entry level job without having to make any of these sacrifices? It's mind boggling. The people sending this woman money are literally crazy.

This isn't a 1%er vs. wageslave issue. It's a retard vs. non-retard issue.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
she originally lived in the small sleepy hamlet of los angeles, it's no wonder she had to go into debt to move to the big city

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Hint: She doesn't want budgeting advice, she wants you to donate to her Paypal or the other options on her page to send her money

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

also i think she's doing this wrong. i lived in the bay area extremely affordably last year. all i had to do was live in a halfway house. maybe she could consider all her options??????????

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FrankieGoes posted:

Exactly. I think the minimum wage does need to be higher, especially in expensive areas. I do think that income disparity has gotten ridiculously loving horrible. I do think CEOs getting paid 50 million dollars to run a company into the ground is bullshit. I do think that people born with a silver spoon up their rear end paying 12% in taxes while middle class people are paying 20%+ is total poo poo.

But none of that has any bearing on what I think about this entitled retard that has wound up in a lovely situation due to making the worst choices possible over and over and over again.

I love the Bay Area. I'd love to live in the Bay Area. But I am not willing to sacrifice the lifestyle I have living somewhere that's 10x cheaper in order to move there. Some people are, good for them. But someone with no real skills or experience expecting to move there to take a lovely entry level job without having to make any of these sacrifices? It's mind boggling. The people sending this woman money are literally crazy.

This isn't a 1%er vs. wageslave issue. It's a retard vs. non-retard issue.

Raising the minimum wage is a band aid, it only pushes prices upward and in a few years you're in the same spot as you started

Class disparity is the real issue

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Don Tacorleone posted:

Raising the minimum wage is a band aid, it only pushes prices upward and in a few years you're in the same spot as you started

Class disparity is the real issue

Bandages can at least stop the bleeding for a while until you can heal the wound.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/701438551792054273

maybe dad'll get fired too

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the great deceiver posted:

also i think she's doing this wrong. i lived in the bay area extremely affordably last year. all i had to do was live in a halfway house. maybe she could consider all her options??????????

Maybe tweet her the address?

Could also tweet her regarding the concepts of roommates and 2nd jobs as she doesn't seem aware of their existence. I think these millennials will all turn out okay, they just haven't been told some of these insider secrets. I knew about them because I watched Friends when I was a kid but that show went off the air so now these poor kids don't have anywhere to acquire this sort of vital information.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Maybe dad isn't hip with the times and knows about cellular telephones.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

rofl wat? Her loving idiot dad is now also gonna be out of a job?

I was actually wondering earlier how she managed to make all these stupid decisions without a parent or some other adult explaining to her that she was totally loving herself, but I guess maybe Dad is just as much of a dummy?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

So has the internet driven this girl to suicide yet? CMon guys you're slipping. If you don't get then in the first 48 hours than your chances are severely reduced

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FrankieGoes posted:

Maybe tweet her the address?

Could also tweet her regarding the concepts of roommates and 2nd jobs as she doesn't seem aware of their existence. I think these millennials will all turn out okay, they just haven't been told some of these insider secrets. I knew about them because I watched Friends when I was a kid but that show went off the air so now these poor kids don't have anywhere to acquire this sort of vital information.

Please rephrase this advice in the form of a lifehack. Millennials love lifehax.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

narcissim is hereditary apparently

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

OxMan posted:

I feel like no one in this thread that talks about the bay area has actually lived here the last few years. A room in san jose for 500? Only in the ghetto, and that's IF you're lucky. We live in a 2 bedroom that costs 1450 a month in a neighborhood that has the street blocked off by the police once a week and has practically no insulation and shaking windows every time the wind blows. 250 of those bucks in the last 2 years. I have friends in SF that pay that much for a studio in the tenderloin (hella ghetto for you non cali folk). poo poo has gotten insanely unlivable here, to the point where various grassroots groups are starting to pop up to try and slow down the insane rate rent is going up because everyone is living with their parents in low income housing on food stamps and are still unable to make ends meet. The elderly are expected to live off not even a grand in social security, somehow. My family and myself are actually leaving CA next month because outside of New York basically anywhere else is more reasonable. poo poo is really bad here. Like yeah homegirl is an idiot, but poo poo is still really hosed.

I don't know how seriously I can take you if you really believe the Tenderloin is "hella ghetto."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

well, I hope we see her big boobs soon, before she die

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I bought my stepdaughter her entire kitchen set. Microwave, crockpot, shun knives, Rachel Ray pan set, keurig. Basicly everything in her kitchen including the food most of the time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

I don't know how seriously I can take you if you really believe the Tenderloin is "hella ghetto."

I had a good laugh parking there last week to meet some friends in the financial district for lunch.

Has piles of new condos and apartments all over creation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

This is either STDH or 'Dad' is her sugardaddy.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Big City Drinkin posted:

well to be fair i used to buy heroin in the tl pretty regularly and it's not a very nice area. it's just that the poverty is concentrated into a really small area that is right next to a really nice area so it seems more intense than the endless ghettoes of oakland, stockton or sac.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Guys, I'm a reputable CEO of a traditional Web 2.0 company, and I need someone who can bring us into the Twittersphere

Can you find me someone who can use these three phrases in a sentence?
"Dude"
"Brah"
"Are you using a bike chain as a belt?"

Then I want to hear from you.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Her sob story is interesting if you look at the things she goes into a lot of detail about, and the things she omits.

-We don't know if she owns a car, and if she takes a car+BART or just BART. However, her commute to work every day on BART would be very easy to budget since it will be the same price every day; every time you use Clipper it also tells you your remaining balance so you're going to know when you run out of money. So I'm interested in the circumstances in which she would be stranded in CVS (presumably to reload her clipper card balance? except I'm pretty sure you can do that online like FastTrak).

We know she has a car, it belonged to her grandfather. We know because she whines that it has a flat rear tire and one of the headlights is out and she can't afford to repair that when it needs to be re-registered in a few months.
Which are very cheap repairs, inflating the rear tire is $0.50, replacing a broken bulb is like $5? Even if she needs a new tire that is still sub $100 in repairs. If $100 in repairs is a big deal to you you should not own a car and save the insurance/registration fees. Maybe sell the car and buy a few hundred pounds of rice (or 3 bottles of premium bourbon).

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

the great deceiver posted:

well to be fair i used to buy heroin in the tl pretty regularly and it's not a very nice area. it's just that the poverty is concentrated into a really small area that is right next to a really nice area so it seems more intense than the endless ghettoes of oakland, stockton or sac.

No you're right - it's definitely pretty seedy as far as SF goes. I guess my definition of "ghetto" is "someplace I wouldn't walk through during the day," but I'm comfortable walking through the TL at all hours of the night because it's perfectly safe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

just watch where you step

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Is global warming going to sink the bay area? If so can we maybe step it up a little here. New York too

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

NihilismNow posted:

We know she has a car, it belonged to her grandfather. We know because she whines that it has a flat rear tire and one of the headlights is out and she can't afford to repair that when it needs to be re-registered in a few months.
Which are very cheap repairs, inflating the rear tire is $0.50, replacing a broken bulb is like $5? Even if she needs a new tire that is still sub $100 in repairs. If $100 in repairs is a big deal to you you should not own a car and save the insurance/registration fees. Maybe sell the car and buy a few hundred pounds of rice (or 3 bottles of premium bourbon).

She's completely inept so inflating or at worst replacing a tire and replacing a bulb are indeed huge challenges.

It would be cool if there were an instantly accessible repository of information where you could find out how or at least ask someone how to do these things.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

She's completely inept so inflating or at worst replacing a tire and replacing a bulb are indeed huge challenges.

A dad who wouldn't be chomping at the bit to do those things is no dad at all. That's like what dad's are made for. They live for that poo poo. Nothing better than that satisfaction of micromanaging your kids auto maintenance.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
what's more ineffective writing your ceo or your political representative

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is global warming going to sink the bay area? If so can we maybe step it up a little here. New York too

After the next superquake the Bay Area will devolve into a lawless hellhole of looting and rioting, but since Californians aren't allowed to own any decent guns, the nearby residents of Nevada are planning on swooping in and getting all the good stuff/women/etc. The Reno Gazette actually publishes helpful strategies regarding this on the reg. Should be p cool.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I've never seen a headlight assembly for 5 dollars, I dunno. Sometimes when tires are flat it's because they can't hold air, and need to be replaced, ideally in a set.

I think if you gaze into the abyss too long the abyss gazes into you - and in your quest to shame some girl for not knowing how to fix cars you yourself may expose yourself as a retard who doesn't know gently caress all about cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

NihilismNow posted:

Funny coincidence, I actually changed the headlight/fog light bulbs on my car and changed a flat tire on my car recently. I'm not a car person by any stretch, but even the neckbeard that I am could look up how to fix it in the car's users manual/Youtube. 2 headlight bulbs+2 fog light bulbs was only $40 at Kragen's.

I would figure living paycheck to paycheck would put a lot of pressure on learning how to figure this poo poo out on the cheap.

• Locked thread