Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

State of the Art Background Checks in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Trump took a dump on Bush from day one, just one long continuous poo poo with the occasional fart joining it, and it made him look like such a bitch it destroyed any and all chances he had at a future political career, let alone president

If you had told me this six months ago I would have told you to go back to fyad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SO Collateral was a documentary?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I refuse to use Lyft now that I know I can be in the backseat to history with Uber.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I refuse to use Lyft now that I know I can be in the backseat to history with Uber.

Nice use of metaphor

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/701392590495678464

Chief Political Analyst at ABC news, everyone.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gotta make a living somehow - have you seen the price of ammunition nowadays?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Xae posted:

State of the Art Background Checks in action.

There's a good chance he didn't have a record.

poo poo like this underscores why all the mooing from the herd about "assault weapons" and expanding background checks is useless. You're not going to solve this with half-measures, because mass shootings are committed by suicidal sociopaths who want to go out in a blaze of glory.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

poo poo like this underscores why all the mooing from the herd about "assault weapons" and expanding background checks is useless. You're not going to solve this with half-measures, because mass shootings are committed by suicidal sociopaths who want to go out in a blaze of glory.

Also known as the "Falling Down was/wasn't a documentary" argument.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Also former chief strategist for Bush's 2004 campaign and coauthor along with Ron "Why Won't Obama LEAD?" Fournier of this magical tome:

http://www.amazon.com/Applebees-America-Successful-Political-Religious/dp/0743287193

quote:

Since the 1990s, they argue, the key to winning the hearts, dollars and votes of the American public and its leaders is appealing to "the three C's, connections, community, and civic engagement." Drawing on interviews with the middle class "exurb" residents who eat at Applebee's restaurants, as well as their own inside knowledge, the authors declare that the pattern holds across the greater part of the American spectrum. Though their narrow interview sample is a weakness, they draw conclusions about the political arena, where lifelong Democrats voted for Bush in 2004 on "gut instinct"; the business world, where customers at the more than 1,700 Applebee's restaurants deem it "a second home"; and in megachurches, which fulfill Americans "need for belonging and purpose in a new century."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah if you can't reduce the number of crazy people forced to work to survive you better not try to limit their access to tools of destruction!

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

I hate to poke the can of worms that is primary chat, but what is this talk about Clinton losing badly against Trump? Is it just primary noise that should be ignored or what?

Also RIP Jeb!.

0.10 Billion burned or something. Like seriously what happens to big money like this, like was it really spent and gone or is it shuffled into shell accounts for later use?

This link shows add buys by the PACs.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...e_the_2016.html

Watch the spending animation to the end to see where jebs pac money went.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

comes along bort posted:

Also former chief strategist for Bush's 2004 campaign and coauthor along with Ron "Why Won't Obama LEAD?" Fournier of this magical tome:

http://www.amazon.com/Applebees-America-Successful-Political-Religious/dp/0743287193

Applebee's America is a good book even if you disagree with the politics behind the authors.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Applebee's America is a good book even if you disagree with the politics behind the authors.

Sure if you're interested in what passed for Beltway conventional wisdom a decade ago.

It's a more teased-out version of David Brooks' execrable Atlantic article that gave us the red state/blue state false dichotomy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's primary news which is probably why I didn't see it here, but :mitt: apparently backed Rubio.

We need a smilie of the water wheel robot from Futurama with Rubios head on it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah if you can't reduce the number of crazy people forced to work to survive you better not try to limit their access to tools of destruction!

You misunderstand. There are no proposals out there that will limit their access to tools of destruction. The effective gun control measure is a ban on semiautomatic firearms. If that's politically impossible, then unless the point is to drum up the base instead of solving problems, it's a pretty stupid way to go with "ban the assault weapons!" If the goal is to incrementally inch closer to making a complete ban possible (e.g. the Republican approach to abortion) that's a better argument, but the public is under the false impression that things like background checks are going to prevent things like school shootings. Proposals like voluntary mental health treatment disqualifying you from purchasing firearms would actually make things worse. Most of the others do not even touch the actual problems.

This isn't a restatement of the bullshit Republican argument of "we just need better mental health treatment, plz ignore man behind curtain." No, we need social policies that prevent this kind of desperate breakdown, and we need to destigmatize mental health treatment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

comes along bort posted:

Sure if you're interested in what passed for Beltway conventional wisdom a decade ago.

It's a more teased-out version of David Brooks' execrable Atlantic article that gave us the red state/blue state false dichotomy.

Eh, the main points of value were more about the drive for community in the American voter, something that's true to this day.

I wouldn't read it looking for dirt or fun gossip.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fknlo posted:

It's primary news which is probably why I didn't see it here, but :mitt: apparently backed Rubio.

We need a smilie of the water wheel robot from Futurama with Rubios head on it.

Probably because, with Jeb out, Rubio is the presumptive mainstream pick. Kasich has already proven to be a non-candidate (he barely registered in SC) so he's not going to pick up that mantle, even if he stays in until Michigan.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man, now Uber is going to have to burn ANOTHER billion just to keep the lights on

The VCs are gonna be pissed

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fried Chicken posted:

Thanks but I still don't see anything under setting for it. I'm on iPhone if that matters

Sorry, some of us bought phones that aren't terrible :smug:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Oh god the Dowds are multiplying

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You misunderstand. There are no proposals out there that will limit their access to tools of destruction. The effective gun control measure is a ban on semiautomatic firearms. If that's politically impossible, then unless the point is to drum up the base instead of solving problems, it's a pretty stupid way to go with "ban the assault weapons!" If the goal is to incrementally inch closer to making a complete ban possible (e.g. the Republican approach to abortion) that's a better argument, but the public is under the false impression that things like background checks are going to prevent things like school shootings. Proposals like voluntary mental health treatment disqualifying you from purchasing firearms would actually make things worse. Most of the others do not even touch the actual problems.

This isn't a restatement of the bullshit Republican argument of "we just need better mental health treatment, plz ignore man behind curtain." No, we need social policies that prevent this kind of desperate breakdown, and we need to destigmatize mental health treatment.

I'm not sure any policies can stop it at this point short of poo poo that would rival Ted Nugent's deepest insurgency fantasies. There will always be rare (and they are rare) hellraisers who have learned that they can get nationally, eternally famous by shooting up people so they're going to do it. You don't need to be mentally ill in order to be willing to shoot up first-graders.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I last heard the Koch Brothers are spending about $890 million dollars on the 2016 election. But I never hear where that money is going - is it to a particular candidate, a bunch of shadowy interest groups like Americans for Prosperity (the latter I think)? I'm sure their influence behind the election is all over the place, but with Trump winning and beating the "establishment" I wonder how much of their money is being wasted...?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhazonLink posted:

I hate to poke the can of worms that is primary chat, but what is this talk about Clinton losing badly against Trump? Is it just primary noise that should be ignored or what?

Probably helped along by the GOP primary voter numbers being much higher than 2012 while the Dem numbers are down. If that would carry in to the general election the Dems would probably lose close states like Florida and a few other battleground states would be in danger.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

He's not wrong. Trump only got a minority of votes in a multi-person field and does not do well among late-deciders and undecided, generally. It's possible -- though I think increasingly, and scarily unlikely, that in a two-way race that he loses.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I last heard the Koch Brothers are spending about $890 million dollars on the 2016 election. But I never hear where that money is going - is it to a particular candidate, a bunch of shadowy interest groups like Americans for Prosperity (the latter I think)? I'm sure their influence behind the election is all over the place, but with Trump winning and beating the "establishment" I wonder how much of their money is being wasted...?

They've had a fair bit of success at the lower level elections.
Look at Scott Walker and Wisconsin.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
FiveThirtyEight had an actual decent article about Rubio possibly winning the nomination.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-optimists-and-trump-skeptics-are-about-to-go-to-war/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
In Non-Primary News, some rumors about Obama maybe thinking about picking a moderate, purple-state Republican: http://morningconsult.com/2016/02/sandoval-has-spoken-to-reid-heller-about-supreme-court-seat/

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This is why it's a mystery why so many on the left want to reverse Citizens United, personally I love rich morons lighting their money on fire by supporting Walker and Jeb!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I agree, repeal the 2nd amendment

I'm not joking

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

comes along bort posted:

quote:

...the business world, where customers at the more than 1,700 Applebee's restaurants deem it "a second home";...

Run that past me again? What the gently caress is this? Some kind of bullshit :patriot:"Us shitfarmer midwesterners with no taste and less sense are the real americans":patriot: play? So many questions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not sure any policies can stop it at this point short of poo poo that would rival Ted Nugent's deepest insurgency fantasies. There will always be rare (and they are rare) hellraisers who have learned that they can get nationally, eternally famous by shooting up people so they're going to do it. You don't need to be mentally ill in order to be willing to shoot up first-graders.

A national guaranteed mincome and a national agreement by major media to no longer report would go a long way, though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

This is why it's a mystery why so many on the left want to reverse Citizens United, personally I love rich morons lighting their money on fire by supporting Walker and Jeb!

But but Barnier Sandlers has been repeatedly assuring me that money has bought our democracy! That's why we're definitely going to have to choose between Jeb Bush and Hildawg come fall!

Not to mention that if you can't legally exchange money to purchase airtime to broadcast your political speech that's censorship. Complaints about some people having more speech (audience, influence) are just that--complaints. You don't have the right to have the same amount of influence as everyone else, only to be free from censorship.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In Non-Primary News, some rumors about Obama maybe thinking about picking a moderate, purple-state Republican: http://morningconsult.com/2016/02/sandoval-has-spoken-to-reid-heller-about-supreme-court-seat/

Would be a great troll to pick the Dover Trial judge. Wasn't that guy a Reagan appointee?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A national guaranteed mincome and a national agreement by major media to no longer report would go a long way, though.

A law forbidding reportage of mass shootings would absolutely save more lives than an AWB (as in, it would save more than loving zero lives). Of course that law shouldn't happen because rights aren't as malleable nor are mass shootings as significant and important as public safety types would like to imagine.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tarezax posted:

Would be a great troll to pick the Dover Trial judge. Wasn't that guy a Reagan appointee?

lol, yeah i think/

Sandoval would be an interesting choice, though. Harry Reid could whip enough Dems for him --though the Left wing of the party would be furious -- and it would be much harder for Republicans to stonewall one of their own.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I wonder if he'd be the first to go from district judge to Supreme Court. All the current justices, including Scalia, have been circuit court judges, except Kagan who was never a judge.

I think he might be. Also way more non judges served on the Supreme Court than I thought

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 21, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

A law forbidding reportage of mass shootings would absolutely save more lives than an AWB (as in, it would save more than loving zero lives). Of course that law shouldn't happen because rights aren't as malleable nor are mass shootings as significant and important as public safety types would like to imagine.

Yeah it can't be done by law but it could be done voluntarily, as with rape victim names, if our media weren't a disgrace.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yup, it couldn't be a law but it could be done via general agreement, like with rape victim names or other kinds of suicide reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Run that past me again? What the gently caress is this? Some kind of bullshit :patriot:"Us shitfarmer midwesterners with no taste and less sense are the real americans":patriot: play? So many questions.

David Brooks called it the Meatloaf Line.

• Locked thread