Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

mcmagic posted:

Wow Hoogland just royally hosed up by not redirecting the World Breaker trigger to the Spellskite. He's dead now.

Edit:

Maybe not.

He lost anyways, but he needed to save it for a dismember after chording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

That's what happens when you use duel deck or MM/MM2 foils that get super loving warped.

idk my duel deck oblivion sowers aren't warped at all, it seems to me that their foiling process is superior to normal foils these days

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Bonus posted:

idk my duel deck oblivion sowers aren't warped at all, it seems to me that their foiling process is superior to normal foils these days

For me it always seemed to be the FTV cards that begin to warp. I din't think I've really had issue with the duel deck ones.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
3 of top 4 are various forms of Eldrazi. Then, there's Affinity.

So, who thinks there will be an emergency ban before SoI comes out? :v:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AlternateNu posted:

I hope not, playing these decks is hysterical.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

No but it's gone then.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

Newp. They want to sell packs. This poo poo won't be banned until they can't sell packs.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

AlternateNu posted:

They made a compelling argument as to why there won't be an emergency ban on the stream yesterday:

There's only been one emergency ban ever... and the card they banned people were quitting the game over. Now people know that in a couple months any serious problems will be addressed, so they don't really have that problem.

Edit: also, I've had to put up with like 2 years of siege rhinos in standard. You can deal with eldrazi in modern for 3 months.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Well this also comes on the heels of a really contentious banning in Modern so it's going to be very poorly received

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Well this also comes on the heels of a really contentious banning in Modern so it's going to be very poorly received

What they need to do, clearly, is counteract it with an unbanning.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Meatbag Esq. posted:

They made a compelling argument as to why there won't be an emergency ban on the stream yesterday:

There's only been one emergency ban ever... and the card they banned people were quitting the game over. Now people know that in a couple months any serious problems will be addressed, so they don't really have that problem.

The game was also a lot smaller back then, which meant people leaving the game because of something degenerate had a lot more impact than it would now. Could the Eldrazi deck warrant an immediate ban? Maybe. But as you said, likely it will not - because unless 'pro players' started leaving en masse because of it there's no public face to force their hand. A few players who stop playing for a couple months (or forever, I guess) is no skin off their back now that the game is as big as it is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

What they need to do, clearly, is counteract it with an unbanning.

Agreed, unban Summer Bloom

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikujin posted:

The game was also a lot smaller back then, which meant people leaving the game because of something degenerate had a lot more impact than it would now. Could the Eldrazi deck warrant an immediate ban? Maybe. But as you said, likely it will not - because unless 'pro players' started leaving en masse because of it there's no public face to force their hand. A few players who stop playing for a couple months (or forever, I guess) is no skin off their back now that the game is as big as it is.

The game wasn't that much smaller in New Phyrexia.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The GR eldrazi player just Ghost Quartered himself out of the game.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

Agreed, unban Summer Bloom

And punishing fire.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

The game wasn't that much smaller in New Phyrexia.

Memory Jar wasn't legal during New Phyrexia, dawg.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Is the eldrazi deck even that difficult to sequence? Seems to be a lot of misplays being streamed etc.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

field balm posted:

Is the eldrazi deck even that difficult to sequence? Seems to be a lot of misplays being streamed etc.

Magic tournaments are mentally taxing and stressful.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Affinity winning over U/R Eldrazi via Ensnaring Bridge and Ghirapur Aethergrid. Neat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Semi-finals completed in 18 minutes.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

AlternateNu posted:

Semi-finals completed in 18 minutes.

I'll take the under on these finals

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
This affinity player is killing Eldrazi left and right.

His sideboard tech is brutal as well.

Edit: although stony silence and worship are going to crush this.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Good guys up a game

and by "good guys" I mean the guy on affinity wearing some kind of anime elf t shirt. what a time to be alive

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Is it just for formality that they stress that the players only have access to the other persons decklist and sideboard but only between games of the finals?

I mean I'm sure everyone playing on day two were looking up what everyone was playing online once they got back to their hotel rooms that night or had their friends texting and telling them what was going on between rounds.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So ☆~price memory ~☆ is it always a thing? I thought it was mainly a problem for staple cards, not those that shoot up because of decks that are about to be banned.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Why did they make a big deal about equipping signal pest with the cranial plating after attacks? Why not suit it up and then swing?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lightning Lord posted:

So ☆~price memory ~☆ is it always a thing? I thought it was mainly a problem for staple cards, not those that shoot up because of decks that are about to be banned.

Luckily with this affinity win the ban may not be coming so quickly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

End of Life Guy posted:

Why did they make a big deal about equipping signal pest with the cranial plating after attacks? Why not suit it up and then swing?

Ensnaring Bridge stops the 0/1 from attacking obviously.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

End of Life Guy posted:

Ensnaring bridge was in play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Edit: nm I can't read.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

End of Life Guy posted:

Ensaring bridge in play. Pest is 0 power, so it can attack under bridge, once attacks are declared you can move the plating and get some damage in.

Edit: Holy beaten

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lightning Lord posted:

Cards in Faeries all shot up because of people speculating on the deck over Bitterblossom unbanning and don't go in anything else and the deck isn't played and those cards are all still elevated.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

suicidesteve posted:

Using 0/1's to get past your own ensnaring bridge is only beaten by someone else using 0/1 plant tokens from Khalni Garden plus exalted from a Qasali Pridemage to get past your opponent's bridge.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Devor posted:

Using 0/1's to get past your own ensnaring bridge is only beaten by someone else using 0/1 plant tokens from Khalni Garden plus exalted from a Qasali Pridemage to get past your opponent's bridge.

I can't tell if you're joking or not so I'm going to assume you are.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

suicidesteve posted:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ensnaring bridge was in play.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Ensaring bridge in play. Pest is 0 power, so it can attack under bridge, once attacks are declared you can move the plating and get some damage in.

Edit: Holy beaten

OH poo poo! I thought Ensnaring Bridge was 1-sided this whole time. I guess I've never seen a deck play one and also play creatures.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

This format sure is a thing right now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

suicidesteve posted:

Perhaps I should have phrased as "the only thing more satisfying to see". I enjoyed the hype from Patrick or whoever when the Khalni garden dropped.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't see how you can say that with a straight face when the deck that won had a transformational anti Eldrazi sideboard plan, that only proves that the eldrazi decks are format warping.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

suicidesteve posted:

In this scenario, assume two Ensnaring Bridges since the Pridemage isn't being used to blow it up.

e: Wait, that actually happened on stream? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No heh. 11 out of the top 16 and 20 out of the top 32.

• Locked thread