Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Frelinghuysen seems like a decent sort. Shame he's only VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I still feel the Birn, it lights a fire in my heart.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

UrbicaMortis posted:

Frelinghuysen seems like a decent sort. Shame he's only VP.

Frelinghuysen believes that Catholics are immigrating to the United States as part of some grand Papist conspiracy and has been harassing random immigrants to convert to his brand of evangelical Christianity. He's laying the groundwork to the Native American Party and was selected partly to boost Clay's nativist credentials.

Other than that, though, he's pretty cool. Solidly not terrible on natives or slavery.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Feb 21, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Coincidence? I think not!

Vote Clay/Frelinghuysen 1844!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Still feelin' the Birn. Plus, hey, we've only had two presidents with more than one term so far.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
You guys, I think we may have broken the country. :ohdear: Gonna need a whole lot of hard cider to fix this.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

BIRN

DOWN

EVERYTHING

:unsmigghh:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Goddamn it, Birn, why you haven't you abolished slavery yet? You had four years. Still voting for you.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
We must defeat the slaveocrats! Four more years!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lycus posted:

Goddamn it, Birn, why you haven't you abolished slavery yet? You had four years. Still voting for you.

William Tecumseh Sherman is still just a Lieutenant at this point. Gotta give him some time to get up to speed before you cut him lose to burn down the aristocratic fuckers.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Time for a second term :getin:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

IMO this entire thread has been a pretext or a secret race to post this song. Congratulations! You won!

e:

So I kind of like the looks of this sketchy looking character running with the Brin. I bet I'd be dissapointed if I read more about him, huh?

Octatonic has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Feb 21, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like the whigs are the way to go this time, as a party that stands a decent chance in the real world and unlike the Liberty party, doesn't believe in spreading war.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CuwiKhons posted:

gently caress Polk and his manifest destiny bullshit.

:agreed:

America needs to keep Birning

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Octatonic posted:

IMO this entire thread has been a pretext or a secret race to post this song. Congratulations! You won!

e:

So I kind of like the looks of this sketchy looking character running with the Brin. I bet I'd be dissapointed if I read more about him, huh?

If you would like, you can read his career-making speech which he delivered from the floor of the United States Senate. It's long but he attacks Clay, Calhoun, and the entire Southern planter class for denying equal rights to African Americans and then proceeds to lay out his vision for the country.

The speech was distributed as part of the Liberty Party's campaign and may have contributed to their unusual success in Northern states during the election. It is is also probably why he lost his Senate seat.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Feb 21, 2016

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Good that I'm not the only who sees this similarity.

Still, I'm feeling the Birn!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Octatonic posted:

This thread is a lot like the Papists and the Freemasons. It has a lot of secret agendas and seeks to convert you to its brand of thinking. Also, it should be birnt to the ground.

That being said, Vote Clay.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll go with clay this time but am looking forward to the paragraph qpq has to write up attempting to explain the events surrounding the reelection of a man who was presumably lynched in a civil war before he could be sworn into office

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Polk actually ordered the envoy negotiating mexican cessions to get more, possibly much more, than what they actually annexed. But the guy just didn't care and settled for "pretty borders" like any self-respecting Paradox player.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Trist

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Carrasco posted:

Still feelin' the Birn. Plus, hey, we've only had two presidents with more than one term so far.

DeWitt Clinton served twice in 1812 and 1820, and while his terms were not consecutive, he is still the only president with more than one term who's family name wasn't "Adams". That being said, let's make Birney president again before his VP dies.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
James Polk Will Make America Great In The First Place

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
gently caress Polk in general, but I stand strongly for 54-40 and fight, because I want those furs and gold from the northern part of the Oregon Territory. The lands are beautiful, it seems a special and sacred place. I'd not have filthy Canadians mucking about up there, having their ways with our pigs. Then again, gently caress Texas, let them rot.

Clay is just middle-of-the-road bullshit. He believes in nothing except getting elected.

Birney is still the closest to my views, except he will not get us that sweet sweet land...

I come to the conclusion I must support the freedom of humanity over the pretty lands, and let the barbarous Canadians have their way. Four more years!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Proposition Joe posted:

James Polk Will Make America Great In The First Place

POLK (far right, holding flag): Welcome Texas! Welcome brothers!

STEPHEN AUSTIN, TEXAN REVOLUTIONARY: "All hail to James K. Polk, the frined [sic] of our Country!"

HENRY CLAY, PERFIDIOUS WHIG (holding rope): "Curse the day that ever I got hold of this rope! this is a bad place to let go of it--But I must!"

FRELINGHUYSON, MISGUIDED EVANGELICAL: "Oh evil day, that ever I got into the footsteps of my predecessor."

DANIEL WEBSTER, TRAITOROUS YANKEE: "If we let go, we are ruined, and if we hold on--Oh! crackee!"

WILLIAM LLOYD GARRISON, LIBERTY PARTY FOUNDER (threatening to destroy Union with powder keg labelled "abolition"): "Avaunt! unholy man! I will not keep company with a blackleg!"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

every time i see an old newspaper the font is tiny, even in these kinds of things, the market for high-magnification reading glasses must've been booming

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

foobardog posted:

Birney is still the closest to my views, except he will not get us that sweet sweet land...

Actually, given his apparent view that America should expand freedom to everywhere, Birn seems like the only option for full Oregon, no Texas.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ibogaine posted:

DeWitt Clinton served twice in 1812 and 1820, and while his terms were not consecutive, he is still the only president with more than one term who's family name wasn't "Adams". That being said, let's make Birney president again before his VP dies.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

Huh, I somehow missed that we had our very own Grover Cleveland. Cool.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Considering that Thomas Morris is unlikely to make it, I think Birney should keep a second VP candidate in mind. Perhaps that firebrand Pennsylvanian lawyer, Thaddeus Stevens? :allears:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Actually, given his apparent view that America should expand freedom to everywhere, Birn seems like the only option for full Oregon, no Texas.

Oh poo poo, I didn't notice that when I read the blurb, I was kind of distracted by his support for temperance (that is, alcohol prohibition). My politics are basically Get Drunk, Get High, Be Free, Be Excellent To Each Other... OR ELSE. So yes, I guess I am Ted "Theodore" Logan meets Donaka Mark.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

every time i see an old newspaper the font is tiny, even in these kinds of things, the market for high-magnification reading glasses must've been booming

It's a conspiracy of the crypto-literates and their monopoly on the glass production lines.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
voted clay because gently caress texas.

we can save america by keeping it from ever joining.

axeil has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Feb 22, 2016

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Two terms! Birney! Ol' "Two-term" Birney!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lambeth posted:

Considering that Thomas Morris is unlikely to make it, I think Birney should keep a second VP candidate in mind. Perhaps that firebrand Pennsylvanian lawyer, Thaddeus Stevens? :allears:

Stevens actually supported Clay this year (and Taylor in four years).

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Corek posted:

Stevens actually supported Clay this year (and Taylor in four years).

I know, but I'd like to think in our version of history, Stevens has been inspired by President Birney to join the Liberty Party and supports him instead. He jumped between so many parties that that wouldn't be surprising if he'd popped up in Liberty Party as well.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Sorely disappointed that these so-called "presidential candidates" have not offered their views on Hollow Earth policy. Why prop up backwater slavers or confront the Queen in the vast northern wilderness when there is a great bounty of territory right below our feet?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The Masons... have emerged victorious from the dark caverns below. :negative:

I do not yet have a strong opinion on this election and am open to reasonable and/or appropriately insane arguments.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Vote Polk. Sign legislation that will outlaw Canada forever. Begin bombing in five minutes.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do not yet have a strong opinion on this election and am open to reasonable and/or appropriately insane arguments.

Vote Birn and either save the country or throw it into a bloody civil war.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Vote Polk. Sign legislation that will outlaw Canada forever. Begin bombing in five minutes.

Are there even bombs yet? No planes. There are cannons, but not really rifling. Effective grenades don't really exist yet, dynamite and TNT haven't been developed yet. It also can't be done in 5 minutes! Man, War is Hell.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Voted Quimby Polk because Texas deserves to be annexed.

The past is obdurate, Jake.
It doesn't want to be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

apparently the french were using observation balloons in war in the 1790's but napoleon dissolved the balloon corps. pretty much the same thing happened for the union army in the civil war
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_military_ballooning
it looks like even in wwi they were still used for artillery observation more than dropping poo poo on people, i think artillery was always a better way to get the explosives where they needed to be and weight was at a premium. obviously by wwi you have heavier-than-air flight which was where the bombing ideas ended up going

• Locked thread