Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Added that to my list. Reading through book one of the illuminatus trilogy and :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Added that to my list. Reading through book one of the illuminatus trilogy and :stare:

Clearly you meant :freep::mason::tinfoil::okpos::roflolmao:

I re-read it for the first time in like 20 years recently, and was somewhat surprised to find that not only did I still enjoy it, but age and time had added to my enjoyment of it this time around.

And yeah, Foucault's Pendulum is super good, and i just noticed i need to replace my copy of it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah, when you've read Illuminatus! and Foucault's Pendulum you should read The Prague Cemetery, it's even better.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Yeah, when you've read Illuminatus! and Foucault's Pendulum you should read The Prague Cemetery, it's even better.

Oh man, I didn't even know that existed. It's going on The List.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

a kitten posted:

Oh man, I didn't even know that existed. It's going on The List.

A small warning, the main character is horrifically anti-semitic, but it ties into Eco's demolition of conspiracy theories etc.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished Gore Vidal's Julian, which is one of the best novels I've read in recent years and a fantastic piece of historical fiction. I haven't read anything else by Vidal, and I'm feeling daunted by his extensive bibliography, so I'd appreciate any recommendations of what else to read by him, of whatever genre.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A human heart posted:

Foucault's Pendulum

Particularly liked the bit about how you can know a conspiracy nut is truly dangerously insane the moment he brings up the Knights Templar. 'Cause it's the truth.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Abu Dave posted:

Added that to my list. Reading through book one of the illuminatus trilogy and FNORD

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I reallllllly love the '82 Conan movie, where's a good starting point for the book series, if any are like it?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

effectual posted:

I reallllllly love the '82 Conan movie, where's a good starting point for the book series, if any are like it?

Try Red Nails, Queen of the Black Coast, A Witch Shall be Born (IIRC the Tree of Woe sequence originates in this one) and Beyond the Black River.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

effectual posted:

Just go with publication order. Del Rey published all the Conan stories, in publication order, and unedited, over three volumes several years ago. Here's the first one.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Red Nails and Beyond the Black River are both so rad. The Black Stranger is also pretty awesome.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Octy posted:

I just finished Gore Vidal's Julian, which is one of the best novels I've read in recent years and a fantastic piece of historical fiction. I haven't read anything else by Vidal, and I'm feeling daunted by his extensive bibliography, so I'd appreciate any recommendations of what else to read by him, of whatever genre.

Empire and Burr are the two I've read and I enjoyed both, even though I'm not a huge American History fan.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hello book barn,

I'm really struggling to find something to read at the moment so figured you guys could help me out. I'm open to reading any of the following types of books atm;

SCI FI Either hard or soft. Love Alistair Reynolds, Iain M Banks, Dan Simmons (well Hyperion anyway). The more political and mysterious the better!
CRIME Love slow paced crime in an interesting place (especially isolated places). Martin Cruz Smith's work is totally my poo poo. Also something like Peter Høeg's Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow, Robert Harris' Fatherland, The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I prefer a political sort of cover up/conspiracy than just murderin' for the sake of murderin' though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Give Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson a shot. It's sci-fi with a high politics quotient. It's good enough that I want to re-read the entire trilogy again sometime.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

CRIME Love slow paced crime in an interesting place (especially isolated places). Martin Cruz Smith's work is totally my poo poo. Also something like Peter Høeg's Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow, Robert Harris' Fatherland, The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I prefer a political sort of cover up/conspiracy than just murderin' for the sake of murderin' though.
You could try Tana French? Not much on conspiracies but she does wonderful locations and sense of isolation. People accuse her prose of being purple, so beware if you can't stand uneven quality of writing. In the Woods and Broken Harbor are your best bets for haunting locales.
For conspiracies, well, you really should read Foucault's Pendulum. There's some cirme going too. Oh, and Hoeg wrote another fairly decent book with a similar theme - I think it was called The Silent Girl?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 17, 2016

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Ewar Woowar posted:

"Girl with the dragon tattoo" meets those pretty well. I never read the follow up books but the first one lived up to the hype for me.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello book barn,

I'm really struggling to find something to read at the moment so figured you guys could help me out. I'm open to reading any of the following types of books atm;

SCI FI Either hard or soft. Love Alistair Reynolds, Iain M Banks, Dan Simmons (well Hyperion anyway). The more political and mysterious the better!

For Sci-Fi, have you read Ann Leckie's Ancillary trilogy? It's good, I think you'd like it.

For Crime, does it have to be modern day? If not, how about a well written ecclesiastical murder mystery? You want The Name of the Rose.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Stephen Hunter has written some top tier man fic. Try The Day Before Midnight, Point of Impact or Dirty White Boys (seriously, is there a thriller with a better opening paragraph than Dirty White Boys?).

Finished these. They were all good, and the opening page to Dirty White Boys was incredible. Thank you for these suggestions.

In the past 2 weeks, I've read Ready Player One and The Martian. Both were really really good and I couldn't put them down. I blew through the latter in one day. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I had no idea what was going to happen. I just started the second Swagger book, Black Light, and I dunno, but I'm not really into it yet, especially coming off from Ready Player One and The Martian.

Any other science finctiony recommendations?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello book barn,

To combine the two of them, you might check out China Mieville's The City & The City.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Finished these. They were all good, and the opening page to Dirty White Boys was incredible. Thank you for these suggestions.

In the past 2 weeks, I've read Ready Player One and The Martian. Both were really really good and I couldn't put them down. I blew through the latter in one day. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I had no idea what was going to happen. I just started the second Swagger book, Black Light, and I dunno, but I'm not really into it yet, especially coming off from Ready Player One and The Martian.

Any other science finctiony recommendations?

I don't recommend Neal Stephenson often, but Seveneves might be up your alley, if all the technical problem solving in The Martian appealed to you. Also, one of the main characters is a thinly veiled Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello book barn,

It was mentioned in this thread earlier, but maybe give Thomas Pynchon's Vineland a chance. While it's nowhere near his best, it's still a great read about radicals from the 60's and 70's dealing with the repercussions in 1984. Includes, but is not limited to: government conspiracies, radicals manipulated into double-crossing, guerrilla filmmaking, ninjas, insurance investigations into Godzilla attacks, paranoid druggies addicted to television, and a sad look at the hopeful 60's and it's own self-sabotage.

It's a little weird for what you're looking for, but it's definitely a good book. It drags in sections, but it's funny, sad, exciting, strange. It's also one of the author's more sentimental books.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

For Sci-Fi, have you read Ann Leckie's Ancillary trilogy? It's good, I think you'd like it.

For Crime, does it have to be modern day? If not, how about a well written ecclesiastical murder mystery? You want The Name of the Rose.

These are good recommendations as I bought the former last night and am enjoying it so far (has a similar feel to Hyperion) and read the latter a few years ago and loved it!

Thanks for all the other recommendations. Read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but was a little cheesy for my likings (I don't really like over the top characters).

Red Mars sounds good and I'll put it on my list. Will also check out Tana French.

Read City and the City but didn't love it as much as other people sadly.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've got a strong desire for some non-cheesy horror books. I recently discovered Thomas Ligotti and his short stories are great, if a bit repetitive. I also enjoyed Nick Cutter as well. I haven't really read much horror since my teenage years and I'd like to stay away from stuff I've read before, like Clive Barker and Stephen King.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

I really like Jonathan Rabb's work in Rosa and Shadows and Light, they remind me a lot of Martin Cruz Smith's style.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Radiation Cow posted:

I've got a strong desire for some non-cheesy horror books. I recently discovered Thomas Ligotti and his short stories are great, if a bit repetitive. I also enjoyed Nick Cutter as well. I haven't really read much horror since my teenage years and I'd like to stay away from stuff I've read before, like Clive Barker and Stephen King.

If you liked Stephen King when you read his stuff, you might try something by his son, Joe Hill. Their styles are similar but Hill's work is unsurprisingly more modern in feel (and also he can write an actual ending occasionally, not that I'm bitter). Horns is probably my favorite. NOS4A2 and Heart-Shaped Box are also pretty good, and he has a good short-story collection, 20th Century Ghosts.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So now that he's dead I should finally start reading Umberto Eco, I guess. Should I start with Foucault's or is there a better "jumping in" book for someone who hasn't read a Big Kid Book in a while?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

OSheaman posted:

So now that he's dead I should finally start reading Umberto Eco, I guess. Should I start with Foucault's or is there a better "jumping in" book for someone who hasn't read a Big Kid Book in a while?
I read 'The Name of the Rose' last year, and it's fairly accessible as long as you don't mind long stretches of secondary historical information.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I read 'The Name of the Rose' last year, and it's fairly accessible as long as you don't mind long stretches of secondary historical information.

As long as you don't bounce of The Door it seems like a great place to start.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I finished Deliver Us From Evil by Ralph Sarchie and really enjoyed it. Does anyone else have other reccomendations for other non-fiction paranormal books? Doesn't have to be exorcisms specifically, anything paranormal or supernatural would be great.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

non-fiction paranormal books?

Not sure this exists...

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello book barn,

For scifi, you'd probably enjoy Ian McDonald's River of Gods.

For crime, check out David Peace's Red Riding quartet. They take place in Yorkshire during the time of the Yorkshire Ripper murders in the 70s and 80s and involve all types of political cover-ups/conspiracies. They are dark as gently caress though, and have rear end in a top hat protagonists like James Ellroy if that's a turn off.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Not sure this exists...

What I mean is the ones that are written as non-fiction, whether they actually are or not is irrelevant.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Bird Box by Josh Malerman is a recent horror novel that's really good and creepy, with legit scary poo poo going down.

Adam Nevill gets recommended itt often for good, recent horror, and rightfully so.. I loved his Last Days, about a filmmaker doing a documentary about a murderous hippy cult from the 60s/70s, and just getting into a whole world of creepy hurt.

Benjamin Percy's Red Moon is a werewolf horror in an epic style/scope that reminds me of old King like The Stand and It.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

savinhill posted:

For scifi, you'd probably enjoy Ian McDonald's River of Gods.

For crime, check out David Peace's Red Riding quartet. They take place in Yorkshire during the time of the Yorkshire Ripper murders in the 70s and 80s and involve all types of political cover-ups/conspiracies. They are dark as gently caress though, and have rear end in a top hat protagonists like James Ellroy if that's a turn off.

Haven't heard of River of Gods- will check it out.

Loved Red Riding but yeah, pretty bleak.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Picayune posted:

If you liked Stephen King when you read his stuff, you might try something by his son, Joe Hill. Their styles are similar but Hill's work is unsurprisingly more modern in feel (and also he can write an actual ending occasionally, not that I'm bitter). Horns is probably my favorite. NOS4A2 and Heart-Shaped Box are also pretty good, and he has a good short-story collection, 20th Century Ghosts.

savinhill posted:

Bird Box by Josh Malerman is a recent horror novel that's really good and creepy, with legit scary poo poo going down.

Adam Nevill gets recommended itt often for good, recent horror, and rightfully so.. I loved his Last Days, about a filmmaker doing a documentary about a murderous hippy cult from the 60s/70s, and just getting into a whole world of creepy hurt.

Benjamin Percy's Red Moon is a werewolf horror in an epic style/scope that reminds me of old King like The Stand and It.

I must say, I reread The Stand a month or so ago, and it really doesn't hold up very well for me. The first part with the apocalypse is great, and then it falls off a giant cliff and never recovers.

I've never heard of any of the other authors, so definitely going to check them out, thanks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's a good book about cryptids? I don't mind it being skeptical so long as a fair amount of time is spent on what is claimed about the cryptid and what the people who believe in it believe.

Actually it's probably better if it's skeptical, because I don't think most bigfoot hunters are probably very good writers.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
I'm looking for a really fun above average action and/or adventure novel. I mowed through a few Jack Reacher books and enjoyed them okay but my thought afterwords was "I'd like to read something like this but better." It's cool to see Reacher be smarter than everyone else but the books are pretty lackluster otherwise. I know that's super vague but I'm casting a wide net on purpose.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kvlt! posted:

What I mean is the ones that are written as non-fiction, whether they actually are or not is irrelevant.
As in An Encyclopedia of Ghosts? Because if so you can probably find a lot of stuff just under that or similar titles, though I'd also appreciate some good recommendations. If you're looking for The Totally Real Memoirs of Abraham Van Helsing, I'm not sure. You're either out of luck because no such person existed, or in luck because that describes half of urban fantasy. I suppose you can also turn to some creepypasta if you want that dry non-fictional style.

Utter Amnesty posted:

I'm looking for a really fun above average action and/or adventure novel. I mowed through a few Jack Reacher books and enjoyed them okay but my thought afterwords was "I'd like to read something like this but better." It's cool to see Reacher be smarter than everyone else but the books are pretty lackluster otherwise. I know that's super vague but I'm casting a wide net on purpose.
Clive Cussler do it for you? I liked them until I noticed how formulaic everything was. Haven't yet read it, but possibly Kavalier and Clay?

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Utter Amnesty posted:

Winslow's Savages, Bazell's Beat the Reaper