Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
"I don't like them hippity hoppity thugs" -Dan Snyder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zypher posted:

ESPN's effort post on the LA relocation made it seem like the Raiders were hardly even considered because the old white men running things were scared of how LA gangs had previously co-opted Raiders swag.

Marketing directly to hip hop groups was the smartest thing Al Davis ever done.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zypher posted:

ESPN's effort post on the LA relocation made it seem like the Raiders were hardly even considered because the old white men running things were scared of how LA gangs had previously co-opted Raiders swag.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It would have been more than enough to say "Kroenke had the money and Dean was a company man"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If that's all they focused on the Raiders wouldn't have even been mentioned in the article tho. They had to at least find out owners opinions on the Raiders being involved in the deal to throw me a bone.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Marketing directly to hip hop groups was the smartest thing Al Davis ever done.

Nope. All about the corporate luxury dollars. Also he didn't 'market to them' they coopted the merchandise.

Take some time on Al Davis' wikipedia page today guy, he did a lot of sneaky-smart poo poo and loved jacking the league up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but Al definitely embraced that. They still play the ice cube song after every touchdown.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Zypher posted:

How many deaths are we going to have to hear about because people are unwilling to let go of their Raiders snapbacks? :fireman:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ammanas posted:

Nope. All about the corporate luxury dollars. Also he didn't 'market to them' they coopted the merchandise.

Take some time on Al Davis' wikipedia page today guy, he did a lot of sneaky-smart poo poo and loved jacking the league up.

He made sure they put up Commitment to Excellence signs on just about every street corner in Compton.

They might not have marketed DIRECTLY to hip hop, but they absolutely did to the working class black community.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I think it's mentioned in that 30 For 30 that the Raiders would give free hats and jackets and poo poo to NWA.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

What's the point of being in the middle of a desert if you can't use 110 degree heat against your opponents?

Heatstroke is home field advantage, dammit.

Good luck filling that open stadium for a 2pm start in a world of cheap 50" flat panels.

Cardinals fans have juuuuuuust maybe turned a corner from fair weather to cloudy weather fans. UOP is a big part of that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember reading articles about the ASU stadium being a literal burn hazard.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MechaFrogzilla posted:

How about Toledo? The point was not distance, it was about sticking them in Ohio, where no self-respecting Michigander would want to follow them.

I want to punish Grand Rapids though

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AsInHowe posted:

I want to punish Grand Rapids though

Yeah gently caress them

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kiimo posted:

I remember reading articles about the ASU stadium being a literal burn hazard.

It was really rough. It's gonna be pretty nice once they're finished with the renovation, though. Thank god for Pac 12 Network money.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Fun fact if you drive on the 405N past Ikea there is a building in Carson that still has banners hanging up that say "Welcome Raiders" & "Welcome Chargers".

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Fun fact if you drive on the 405N past Ikea there is a building in Carson that still has banners hanging up that say "Welcome Raiders" & "Welcome Chargers".

It would cost money to pull them down. Someone kickstarter getting them changed to gently caress Kroenke.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's leave them up and see if they start to change shape and color like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LppK4ZtsDdM

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Chargers are "focusing their efforts downtown": http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/02/23/chargers-focus-efforts-downtown

Worst euphemism ever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

This is a pretty big deal

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
chargers are as good as gone.

home games are gonna be pretty lol next year

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It will all depend on financing, but...yeah, good luck.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I still can see a vision in my mind of a Chargers stadium downtown that somehow lets out into Gaslamp and its glorious. Like Wrigley Field glorious.

San Diego Chargers posted:

At the same time, we have considered the potential benefits to both the greater San Diego region and the Chargers of a multi-use stadium/convention center facility downtown. The multi-use facility, when combined with Petco Park, the existing Convention Center, the Gaslamp Quarter, and a revitalized East Village, would create an unparalleled entertainment and sports district that will host Super Bowls and will ideally be a permanent home for Comic-Con and a Comic-Con museum.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i can just see the drunken marine sidewalk fights now

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A Comic Con museum?

poo poo, our country sucks. I embrace your iron boot, Putin. Come and save us from ourselves.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress Comic-Con. Like, really.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is one Comic-Con, everybody knows it's in San Diego. All the tentpoles these days feel pressure to do something for Comic-Con. It makes a poo poo load of money and is something San Diego is famous for.

Don't hate on the Comic-Con just because you hate greaseball nerds, we all do. But it's good for San Diego.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I can appreciate what it does for San Diego and say gently caress Comic Con at the same time its not mutually exclusive ok!!!!

Much in the way I can say gently caress The Chargers and say :spooky:Chargers B1tch!!!:spooky: at the same time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also voters will actually vote to keep Comic Con, so if the stadium is part of that package, it has a higher chance of passing

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ross Angeles posted:

Also voters will actually vote to keep Comic Con, so if the stadium is part of that package, it has a higher chance of passing

Are you saying the Comicon committee is hitching their wagon to Spanos? Sounds like a terrible idea for all involved.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Zurreco posted:

Are you saying the Comicon committee is hitching their wagon to Spanos? Sounds like a terrible idea for all involved.

No, it's the other way around, the Chargers are trying to jump on the Comicon bandwagon to sneak a stadium in with a convention center expansion.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Other way around. Spanos is hitching his wagon to Comiccon

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The SB 405 offramp at Avalon changed its name to Stadium Way lol

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm imagining Dan Rooney working with Anthrocon and it's making me uncomfortable

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Comic-Con doesn't want the Chargers downtown. They want an expansion to the convention center, not a satellite. This is also want the hotels want, so they'll throw their money against the Chargers in downtown.

Chargers are as good as gone.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ross Angeles posted:

Other way around. Spanos is hitching his wagon to Comiccon

Right, but Comicon can very easily tell him to gently caress off. They're gonna get whatever they want at this point, including an expansion to the convention center, so why the hell would they let Spanos get anywhere near them, especially with a public vote? If anything, they want less Chargers presence downtown so that they don't have to share their already good thing™ and will push back against it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Ragnarok the Red posted:

So is like the potential for the Las Vegas Raiders still just a distant pipe dream? The Sands CEO wants to build a billion dollar stadium for UNLV near the strip that'll seat 65k the teams could share.

Any chance of that being a real option or is Vegas just being used as leverage yet again and lol den of sin and gambling :(

It'll stop being a distant pipe dream if the asking price for public funds for the stadium goes down.

Even then it'll only be a little bit closer distant pipe dream.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Now I'm picturing headlines "Nerds run Jocks out of San Diego"...should be interesting. Ross, what's your thoughts...is downtown viable?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Donkwich posted:

Now I'm imagining Dan Rooney working with Anthrocon and it's making me uncomfortable

Nothing at Anthrocon is as unsettling as Steely McBeam

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I cannot believe Comic-Con has entered into the god drat NFL stadium conversation.

I lust for death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Chinatown posted:

I cannot believe Comic-Con has entered into the god drat NFL stadium conversation.

I lust for death.

Comicon dominates downtown SD, so of course it was bound to come up.

Even when they built PetCo, Comicon quickly assimilated it and uses it for fun stuff during the event and everyone just kinda accepted it as an inevitable feature of being downtown. HOWEVER, PetCo is far enough away that the two can be treated as independent, and there's no way that the Padres are gonna compete with one of the biggest draws to the downtown area. Aside from Padres games and Comicon, people don't really go to downtown SD unless they wanna drink or go look at whales, and both activities are pretty isolated from the rest of the city.

That being said, when the Chargers talk about building a new arena anywhere near an already overutilized part of town, there are going to be direct conflicts that Spanos can't win. The convention center is surrounded by very expensive and very lucrative high rises that are definitely not for sale. The only thing remaining is the docks/train yard SE of the convention center that are partially federally owned and would probably be earmarked for a convention center expansion rather than a new stadium. Downtown is not a viable option.

• Locked thread