Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

Does anyone know how I can fix all of the shadow flickering? It mostly happens when I am moving my character but it is really bad.
Most likely it's anti-aliasing that causes the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Xavier434 posted:

Does anyone know how I can fix all of the shadow flickering? It mostly happens when I am moving my character but it is really bad.

PSA: Horses don't swim and carts don't float.

:rip: Gameover. You died of Dysentery.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What's the deal with mob knowledge ranks? Is it just a roulette, or can I rank up my knowledge by studying grinding the mobs?

Also, it seems like there are no node workshops that let you melt ore into melted [ore] shards to streamline the tool/armament production process. You have to process the ore yourself and then store it in the warehouse for your workers to use in making ingots or whatever. Is this accurate or am I missing something?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

RedTonic posted:

What's the deal with mob knowledge ranks? Is it just a roulette, or can I rank up my knowledge by studying grinding the mobs?

Also, it seems like there are no node workshops that let you melt ore into melted [ore] shards to streamline the tool/armament production process. You have to process the ore yourself and then store it in the warehouse for your workers to use in making ingots or whatever. Is this accurate or am I missing something?

Mob knowledge gain is a one time random thing. You will randomly get it, it could be after one kill or two hundred. It will be a random rank. You have to reset it and try again for a higher rank if you want to, but as of now we only know one way to do that and that is via the cash shop.

You can melt the ore to shards and shards to ingots your self, and have a good chance to get bonus production when doing this based on your rank. I could turn 50 ore into 1.5 ingots when I stopped playing.

You can also have the workers turn shards into ingots, but with a less chance of bonus materials.

I am not sure if there is a way to have workers do the initial step or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At least in KR you supposedly can delete your knowledge via an NPC at the Calpheon library

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

kalstrams posted:

Most likely it's anti-aliasing that causes the problem.

Turning off SSAO in game fixed it. Thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

Turning off SSAO in game fixed it. Thanks.
Those are different things but I'm glad it worked. :v:

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I feel like I got a pretty good taste of the game and figured out how trading and workers and all that works, but one thing that I didn't really have enough time to figure out was how to utilize alts.

Contribution points, warehouses, and nodes are all shared, but energy is character bound right? So would it be smart to have specific side skills like cooking and alchemy separated out on an alt? Any advice on how to efficiently set up skills across characters?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Eonwe posted:

At least in KR you supposedly can delete your knowledge via an NPC at the Calpheon library

you can still do it but now it's also a 50 cent cash item

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lewtt posted:

you can still do it but now it's also a 50 cent cash item

I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a ton of those to the kind of people who are OCD about 100%ing achievements or stat screens and "must" have S rank in everything.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, I tried playing on U.S. servers and predictably, my latency sucks and it makes playing the game pretty unpleasant, so I guess I'll have to settle for EU servers. Are there any plans for goon presence there?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
the servers are in san jose, california. ie literally on USA West Coast

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

So, I tried playing on U.S. servers and predictably, my latency sucks and it makes playing the game pretty unpleasant, so I guess I'll have to settle for EU servers. Are there any plans for goon presence there?
Where are you from? I played the beta on the U.S. servers from Sweden, and it was fine, to be frank. I mean, maybe I am just conditioned by 200-300 ping Planetside 2 with the Ginyu Force, but occasional hitching and overall ping of ~170 were mildly annoying, and barely noticeable, at best. Sure, it will cause some annoyance in PvP here and there, but nothing I would call "unpleasant" at least.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Where are you from? I played the beta on the U.S. servers from Sweden, and it was fine, to be frank. I mean, maybe I am just conditioned by 200-300 ping Planetside 2 with the Ginyu Force, but occasional hitching and overall ping of ~170 were mildly annoying, and barely noticeable, at best. Sure, it will cause some annoyance in PvP here and there, but nothing I would call "unpleasant" at least.

Middleish Europe. I am getting 200-300 ping on average with a 300+ spikes if there are a lot of players nearby. It would be annoying but playable in no-action MMO, but here it is extremely noticeable, especially when using any mobility skill, which usually ends up with lag and me either rubber-banding or being randomly teleported around. On EU server I have sub 100 ping, and the difference in how the game feels and plays is incredible (duh).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ouch, your ping with systematic severe spikes would make me reconsider American server as well, condolences.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
So I found this guy in Velia who sells you player locations and drops a waypoint:

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
dubblepost

also i added this in the OP, i'll add class guides in a lil bit. data's old and from KR, but in terms of readability I can't find any guides better
http://blackdesertfoundry.com/list-of-guides/

lewtt fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 22, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lewtt posted:

So I found this guy in Velia who sells you player locations and drops a waypoint:

that NPC adds a lot of possibilities, IMO

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

So you can lean up against a wall by backing into it with the S key. This lets you do two other things:

1: You can put a sign over your head that everyone can read.

2: You can go to "observe mode" which unlocks your camera and you can zoom it around for a decent distance and take cool screenshots.

If only I had a decent enough computer to actually run it at something better than "slightly high." :420:

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

So you can lean up against a wall by backing into it with the S key. This lets you do two other things:

1: You can put a sign over your head that everyone can read.

2: You can go to "observe mode" which unlocks your camera and you can zoom it around for a decent distance and take cool screenshots.

If only I had a decent enough computer to actually run it at something better than "slightly high." :420:

I have a i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz and 2 980s and the game still runs like rear end for me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Quake posted:

I have a i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz and 2 980s and the game still runs like rear end for me.
Turn your monitor on.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

The Quake posted:

You must be hosed as I have an old I5 and a lovely graphics card and it still runs on max with no framerate drop.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Turn yours off.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

YOTC posted:

You must be hosed as I have an old I5 and a lovely graphics card and it still runs on max with no framerate drop.

Yeah Idk, I've read similar reports of people with great rigs just getting poor performance. I know about the whole changing your refresh rate thing the game is doing to some people but this isn't the case.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
here is a brief rundown of what I did the last 30 minutes of beta:

i found an anime

i found a low res donkey standing next to some pretty high res wooden boxes

i thought the purple horse looked cool, but the real prize is the woman standing inside the dog

get out of that dog lady

im pretty sure every pet in this game was created for an n64 game

fishing pacts

falcons are badass

have to get that Master Baiter title

i was climbing on some random destroyed castle bit and an elite goblin started attacking me from the ground, so I used my grapple move and pulled him through solid stone and murdered him

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Bukowski posted:

Turn yours off.

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is really pretty, best looking MMO I've ever played, I wish they'd let me turn draw distance up

there were a lot of scenic screenshots I wanted to take, but its foggy as hell

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

The Quake posted:

I have a 3930k at 5ghz and 2 970's G1 with a pretty high OC (but I score similar to low end 980's in benchs) and I get 70 fps average in city with everything cranked up including the experimental "high end" mode

Funkygenome
Nov 24, 2007

YOTC posted:

Make sure the game hasn't changed your display to 24hz. I was getting around 27 fps until I changed it back to 60. Now I'm getting a smooth 59-60 fps.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

game is really pretty, best looking MMO I've ever played, I wish they'd let me turn draw distance up

there were a lot of scenic screenshots I wanted to take, but its foggy as hell

Did you already opt for improved draw distance in the graphics options?

Also I think some of it is mechanics related. I found a crystal to transfuse helms w/ that improves your character's vision distance by like 25 meters...

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I thought I also heard something about how which mode you ran it in (windowed, fullscreen, etc.) could have a pretty dramatic effect on performance. I'm mostly just happy that my Radeon HD 6850 can run this game at all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RedTonic posted:

Did you already opt for improved draw distance in the graphics options?

Also I think some of it is mechanics related. I found a crystal to transfuse helms w/ that improves your character's vision distance by like 25 meters...

Yeah, I did, and I figured they'd have some mechanic like that. Thanks for confirming! I'd still rather have it just not draw player characters but let you see stuff from far off

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I legitimately had a lot of fun in this beta, and after playing it I don't even want to necessarily be like "its a bad game but"

Its a baffling game, but its actually pretty fun from what I did. We'll see how the endgame holds up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh, can someone explain siege PvP for me, like how that works and stuff?

also will the Crimson Battlefield be in? I read an article about that and it seemed fun

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I will pre order this game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

I will pre order this game

same

for $30

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
"improved distance" doesn't seem to increase any object/grass/people rendering distance; it only seems to improve the quality of ultra-long range mountain and terrain renders

turn it off and save yourself a few frames, regardless of high end mode or not

render distance increases as you go from high -> very high -> high end mode

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I only have a geforce gtx 550ti so I'm pleased as punch just to run it on medium and be able to play.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
I had a surprisingly enjoyable time, so I will be pre ordering as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eonwe posted:

I legitimately had a lot of fun in this beta, and after playing it I don't even want to necessarily be like "its a bad game but" Its a baffling game, but its actually pretty fun from what I did. We'll see how the endgame holds up

Eonwe posted:

same, for $30
same, but with paypal. not trusting koreagames with my credit card

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 22, 2016