Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tooterfish posted:

You said the point of roll is at the centre of your view.

The weapons converge on the point of roll. The weapons converge off centre. Therefore the point of roll is off centre.

I'm not sure what kind of trickery you think could be happening there?
Astro is correct, the ship cockpit and where you're sitting in it doesn't really relate to the hitbox of the ship. Your pilot is sitting in the 'centre' of the ship, regardless of what the outside looks like in debug camera, etc. It's been a lot more noticeable for me since I got a 21:9 monitor.

Probably the easiest way to see what he's talking about is in something like the Fer-de-Lance when docking. You can literally see the pointed nose of the ship but you don't line that up with the landing pad when docking, you line up where you're sitting with the centre line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

KM Scorchio posted:

Is this still working? Maybe I'm just having bad luck on the mission spawns, but I'm Entrepreneur rank and allied standing with CDE and a couple of hours of half-hearted clicking has only given me one 90 slave mission.

There is an element of luck in this, yeah. After making a half billion in Robigo, I learned some additional helpful facts about scumming the bulletin board:

- "Sticking" the missions only works for the Open bulletin board.
- When switching between Open and Solo to stick the missions, you don't have to open the bulletin board in Solo.
- Switching between Private Group and Solo repeatedly (NOT Open) generates new random missions. If there are no good missions in Open, do this instead while waiting for the missions to cycle in Open.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mercurius posted:

Astro is correct, the ship cockpit and where you're sitting in it doesn't really relate to the hitbox of the ship. Your pilot is sitting in the 'centre' of the ship, regardless of what the outside looks like in debug camera, etc. It's been a lot more noticeable for me since I got a 21:9 monitor.

Probably the easiest way to see what he's talking about is in something like the Fer-de-Lance when docking. You can literally see the pointed nose of the ship but you don't line that up with the landing pad when docking, you line up where you're sitting with the centre line.

The funny thing about the FDL is that the 'nose' you see is only halfway to the real nose of the ship. In debug mode you can see that the black part sticking out is actually a window lookout.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

BMan posted:

There is an element of luck in this, yeah. After making a half billion in Robigo, I learned some additional helpful facts about scumming the bulletin board:

- When switching between Open and Solo to stick the missions, you don't have to open the bulletin board in Solo.
- Switching between Private Group and Solo repeatedly (NOT Open) generates new random missions. If there are no good missions in Open, do this instead while waiting for the missions to cycle in Open.

Ah cheers. I shall persevere.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
So I bought Horizons after not playing since like last September. Am I missing something or is there really no point in planetary exploration yet?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My Python must have heard me complaining about the cockpit being off-centre, because I just get launched from a station to inside my landing pad. Luckily my shields held out until I could eject my ship sideways with my side-thrusters. If the server had noticed me being wedged into the landing pad like that, that would have been a hilarious way to go. :shepface:

Meatsicle posted:

So I bought Horizons after not playing since like last September. Am I missing something or is there really no point in planetary exploration yet?

There are some points:

1. You get exploration-rank by driving around.
2. Sweet, sweet pictures.
3. You can manufacture ammunition, jump booster juice and other assorted crap.
4. There are now alien life forms you can visit, but only if you land on certain planets.
5. Some of the star systems at the edge of the human bubble only have stations on planets now. You can only visit these settlements with planetary landings.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mercurius posted:

I just can't see what you're getting at. I don't see anything off perspective wise here for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTQXN3m5EVQ&t=1158s

The ship looks like it's lined up on the centre of the pad just fine to me? Exactly how subtle is this?

Bare in mind the FDL's cockpit is asymmetrical. The pilot's seat is offset slightly, but not as much as you'd think. It's the other seat that's way out to the left.

edit:As has been pointed out, it's not actually the nose you're seeing, are you sure that's not throwing off your perspective?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 21, 2016

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

tooterfish posted:

I just can't see what you're getting at. I don't see anything off perspective wise here for example:

The ship looks like it's lined up on the centre of the pad just fine to me? Exactly how subtle is this?

Bare in mind the FDL's cockpit is asymmetrical. The pilot's seat is offset slightly, but not as much as you'd think. It's the other seat that's way out to the left.

Can see it in that video, the ship is a bit to the left on the pad but it's centered according to the game. There is a bit of smoke and mirrors going on so that you're always in the center of the ship no matter where in the cockpit you appear to be.

Also look up as he is landing, the pointy bit on the nose of the FDL is to the left of the middle of the pad (you can look at the holographic number to figure out the center) even though that's supposed to be the middle of the ship.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 21, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The UI is offset from the pilot's view because it's showing the pad from the POV of the centre of the ship, not the POV of the pilot.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

edit:As has been pointed out, it's not actually the nose you're seeing, are you sure that's not throwing off your perspective?

Notice in the first person view the camera is perfectly centered with the pad despite the fact that you should be slightly to the right.

EDIT: also that "observation window" is still centered with the ship.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 21, 2016

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh yeah when doing a FSD jump notice the reticule for it is in the center of your view, not the center of the ship.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

EDIT: also that "observation window" is still centered with the ship.
It's a lot closer to you than the nose of the ship, so the nose isn't going to line up with it from your POV?

From the pilot's POV the nose to the right of the observation window.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 21, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

It's a lot closer to you than the nose of the ship, so the nose isn't going to line up with it from your POV?

From the pilot's POV the nose to the right of the observation window.

You can't see the nose from the pilot's chair.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
A friend of mine finally got his Corvette and described it as if "an Anaconda got hate hosed by a Vulture".

I love it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

BMan posted:

Oooh ok. That makes sense of some things I noticed last time. Thanks.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

You can't see the nose from the pilot's chair.
No exactly. If you could, you'd see it was quite a long way to the right of the observation window from the pilot's POV.

I drew you a picture.

Look at how shallow the angle is from the pilot to the nose, compared with from pilot to the observation window. It's practically a straight line... that means the nose would be closer to the pilot's centre of view than the observation window, which corresponds to what you see in game.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 21, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish posted:

No exactly. If you could, you'd see it was quite a long way to the right of the observation window from the pilot's POV.

I drew you a picture.

Look at how shallow the angle is from the pilot to the nose, compared with from pilot to the observation window. It's practically a straight line... that means the nose would be closer to the pilot's centre of view than the observation window, which corresponds to what you see in game.

Only not at all, look forward next time you're docked, notice how the station wall/ the blast shield thing on the pad is perfectly centered in your view even for a ship where that shouldn't be the case.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

Only not at all, look forward next time you're docked, notice how the station wall/ the blast shield thing on the pad is perfectly centered in your view even for a ship where that shouldn't be the case.
Okay.

The two girders mark the width of the pad, I've marked them with blue and green vertical lines. Then I've drawn corresponding horizontal lines from the girders to the vanishing point. from the pilot's perspective.

The blue line is shorter than the green by quite a bit, if the pilot's POV was exactly centred both lines would be the exactly the same length. It's not even ambiguous, the pilot's POV is off centre. :shrug:

edit: redundant.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
If you fly an Adder, it's really obvious that your view is not centered on the pad.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So I guess we were wrong then.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

Okay.

The two girders mark the width of the pad, I've marked them with blue and green vertical lines. Then I've drawn corresponding horizontal lines from the girders to the vanishing point. from the pilot's perspective.

The blue line is shorter than the green by quite a bit, if the pilot's POV was exactly centred both lines would be the exactly the same length. It's not even ambiguous, the pilot's POV is off centre. :shrug:

edit: redundant.

You're a huge nerd and I love you for it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Astroniomix posted:

So I guess we were wrong then.

This game is chock full of really small, cool details.

Wanna blow your mind? Look down at your characters feel. See how the boot has a split for the big toe? That's so you can use it to grip things in zero-g, if you need to.

The Adder has a cupholder with a cup in it. The top of the cup, naturally, is sealed over to keep the contents inside the cup in zero-g.

There's no magical artificial gravity in the game. Your suit has magnets in it to allow you to walk on metal surfaces (ie the entire ship) and grip things.

Stations and parts of imperial capital ships rotate to simulate gravity this using science-y words I can't be bothered to look up.

Imperial ships have the habitation rings because they are chiefly operated by Imperial slaves. Federation ships are heavily automated, so they don't have nearly as much living space.

The odd accent you hear in some imperial station announcements (wahl-came to tha fachillities!) is how all Imperials sound like, and they tend to shun those who don't have the accent.

Manicore Munitions, an imperial weapons manufacturer whose HQ station the Goons casually took over (briefly) in the last year also makes more mundane space ship equipment - I believe you can zoom in on a dead/jettisoned limpet and see their name stamped on it.

Every ship manufacturer has a signature method of venting heat, and when you go in and out of silent running, the vents actually close and open

All ships have the same interface because gameplay, but is justified that all pilots belong to the pilots federation, and of course they'd want uniformity of ship instruments.

Etc etc

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Its a shame we cannot do with the capital ships what a couple of friends used to do with a different game, one would distract the capital ship AI the other would sneak in the airlock and bop the AI core taking control of it.

They ended up with these Huge Pirate Capital Ships connected together as their base,

Apparently the admins came along and said "how are you doing this", They were shown and were told "stop doing this" the following day the Pirate AI was removed from the game

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Literally Kermit posted:

Wanna blow your mind? Look down at your characters feel. See how the boot has a split for the big toe? That's so you can use it to grip things in zero-g, if you need to.

The Adder has a cupholder with a cup in it. The top of the cup, naturally, is sealed over to keep the contents inside the cup in zero-g.

There's no magical artificial gravity in the game. Your suit has magnets in it to allow you to walk on metal surfaces (ie the entire ship) and grip things.

Stations and parts of imperial capital ships rotate to simulate gravity this using science-y words I can't be bothered to look up.

Imperial ships have the habitation rings because they are chiefly operated by Imperial slaves. Federation ships are heavily automated, so they don't have nearly as much living space.

The odd accent you hear in some imperial station announcements (wahl-came to tha fachillities!) is how all Imperials sound like, and they tend to shun those who don't have the accent.

Manicore Munitions, an imperial weapons manufacturer whose HQ station the Goons casually took over (briefly) in the last year also makes more mundane space ship equipment - I believe you can zoom in on a dead/jettisoned limpet and see their name stamped on it.

Every ship manufacturer has a signature method of venting heat, and when you go in and out of silent running, the vents actually close and open

All ships have the same interface because gameplay, but is justified that all pilots belong to the pilots federation, and of course they'd want uniformity of ship instruments.

Etc etc

Honestly the details extend pretty heavily to stuff like stellar systems and the galaxy as a whole too. For everything they don't model (stellar rotation rates, Roche limits, accretion disks) there's something that even I as an astronomer wouldn't have thought to put into the game- S-type stars, solar flares and prominences, differentiating between the different types of protostars, etc. This game is the most accurate depiction of the Milky Way I've ever seen in a game outside of maybe Space Engine, and Space Engine can hardly be called a game. There's plenty of stuff I'd adjust to make it even more accurate, but its pretty mind-blowing that they put in the effort to make it so detailed- since 99.5% of players would never know the difference.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

I suppose if anyone else needed further evidence, you can see that the reticle in my Python is off-center in relation to the blast shields on the pad:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

A friend of mine finally got his Corvette and described it as if "an Anaconda got hate hosed by a Vulture".

I love it.

Last thing I did in game was buy one, load it out with beam turrets, 4A pacs and 4 A0 shield boosters, fly it to Skvortsov, and take a photo. I haven't taken it out to play yet. Did I load it out properly, or is there something else I should throw in the slots than beam turrets?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Astroniomix posted:

If you can get the mass down to 720 tons it's much more bearable.

That actually made a pretty big difference, thanks! :v:

Ok now I like the Python. It's hell slow compared to an iClipper of course but being able to "just go" anywhere without worrying about the route is kind of liberating.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

3 posted:

I suppose if anyone else needed further evidence, you can see that the reticle in my Python is off-center in relation to the blast shields on the pad:

The way I noticed it was when I flew right up to another ship and rolled mine. The other ship spins slightly around the edge of the screen, rather than centred on me

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

DancingShade posted:

That actually made a pretty big difference, thanks! :v:

Ok now I like the Python. It's hell slow compared to an iClipper of course but being able to "just go" anywhere without worrying about the route is kind of liberating.

Does it just have a massive fuel tank, or what?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
From the Star Citizen thread, haven't seen this posted here...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite...

101 ships in the same instance.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

It's got a 32t tank where a lot of its close competitors (iClipper, Federal Brickships) have 16t and the Fer-De-Lance has 8t. So yeah, pretty much.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

For its size yes.

Fun Python tip. If you mount a fuel scoop you can downgrade to a 16T tank to up the jump range a bit.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

YellerBill posted:

It's got a 32t tank where a lot of its close competitors (iClipper, Federal Brickships) have 16t and the Fer-De-Lance has 8t. So yeah, pretty much.

Daaaaang, I never noticed that. Poor loving FDL, you never stood a chance with me. The combination of Cubeo grind, large pad requirement, and 16 ton tank knocks the clipper out too I think.

I already have the rank for an FAS. I think when I come back from Distant Worlds I'll grab one of those, and then work towards the Python. How much sacrifice is required to get it under the 750 ton weight to make it not handle like a brick?

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

Daaaaang, I never noticed that. Poor loving FDL, you never stood a chance with me. The combination of Cubeo grind, large pad requirement, and 16 ton tank knocks the clipper out too I think.

I already have the rank for an FAS. I think when I come back from Distant Worlds I'll grab one of those, and then work towards the Python. How much sacrifice is required to get it under the 750 ton weight to make it not handle like a brick?

Here's the loadout that I'm using - unladen mass is at 703T. It's not optimal by any means, but I'm able to spend a lot of time in HAZRES without too much concern.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/16A6A5A4D7A6A4C1e1e1527270004040k05054h2d24326jv62h.Iw18eQ==.MwBj4zOHSA==?bn=Good%20Apollo%20Mk.II

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 22, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Intl Cron posted:

Here's the loadout that I'm using - unladen mass is at 703T. It's not optimal by any means, but I'm able to spend a lot of time in HAZRES without too much concern.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/16A6A5A4D7A6A4C1e1e1527270004040k05054h2d24326jv62h.Iw18eQ==.MwBj4zOHSA==?bn=Good%20Apollo%20Mk.II

Nice. This is what I came up with for Mary-Suing while I was waiting for an answer. Looks like not a lot of sacrifice required no matter how you go about it. :buddy:

How do you get the shield recharge details in Coriolis?

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

For its size yes.

Fun Python tip. If you mount a fuel scoop you can downgrade to a 16T tank to up the jump range a bit.

Thank you for the Python tip. I always carry a fuel scoop, and I never thought to downgrade the tank.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Likewise, but doesn't having to scoop more often negate the time saved by the longer range?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

A semi-related question: how is death explained in this game? In EVE when your pod is destroyed your clone is activated which makes sense, but in ED (as far as I've seen) when your ship gets blown up the CMDR seems to somehow magically survive?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

When a commander's ship receives catastrophic hull damage (breaks apart) or becomes incapable of supporting life, the commander automatically escapes via an ever-present, indestructible escape pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

kedo posted:

A semi-related question: how is death explained in this game? In EVE when your pod is destroyed your clone is activated which makes sense, but in ED (as far as I've seen) when your ship gets blown up the CMDR seems to somehow magically survive?

You die, and your money, ships, missions, and ranks pass to your next of kin, who also inherits the title of CMDR BonerWizard420.

• Locked thread