Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sage Genesis posted:

I dunno. Although I don't share the sentiment, a "simple Fighter" is a legitimate desire so you can't make dice management and maneuvers mandatory for all Fighters. I would absorb most of the Champion into the base class Fighter and then make the following adjustments:

* Make the new Champion center around crit-triggered abilities. As it stands the Champion is the one who crits most often, but also has the least reason to want to crit in the first place. (Compare with e.g. Barbarians who get extra damage dice.) Start with extra damage, then move on to taking the Shove or Help action immediately and freely whenever they crit, then later on maybe recharge powers like Indomitable or Second Wind.

* Keep Battle Masters as they are, except introduce more and better maneuvers. Eldritch Knights have five tiers of power (cantrips and four spell levels) so the maneuvers ought to follow a similar scheme.

* Eldritch Knights need casting like Warlocks, per short rest/encounter. And they need their own, special spell list with plenty of effects like Smite spells or those new cantrips from SCAG instead of lazily being mini-wizards. Ideally they would have a unique cantrip that zaps a guy for a low amount of auto-hitting damage (like a very weak Magic Missile), but they can cast it as a bonus action and also for free whenever they score a critical hit - and remember that all Fighters have improved crit ranges under this scheme.

Of course in a perfect world I'd completely overhaul all of 5e from the ground up, but if I were limited to just Fighters then it would look something like that. If I were allowed to go a bit further I would also bake in more extensive follower/henchmen/morale rules and give Fighters the option to be really good at that. Remember how Fighters used to get their own private armies? Maybe an actual army is a bit overkill for a dungeon crawling game but they could use something close to it. Maybe as a fourth subclass called, oh I don't know... Warlord or something?

E: More non-combat stuff would also be welcome but I might bake that into the followers/henchmen stuff. Rogues gather information by spying on people, Fighters gather information by setting up a military intelligence division.

If 'simple fighter' is a desire, then you put in a set of simple manoeuvres at each tier so the simple fighter player can just pick the ones which say 'roll all your dice for damage' or whatever. You don't have to cripple the entire class for something which fundamentally, very few people actually *want*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Simple Wizard

You know the cantrip Fire Bolt. You can cast it once per round.

You learn one extra cantrip from this list (Chill Touch, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp) at levels 5, 11, and 17, the same levels at which your cantrip damage increases.

From level 3 onward, when you roll an 19 or 20 to hit, roll all your damage dice twice and add them together before adding any other damage modifiers.

Starting at level 7, you can add half your proficiency bonus to any Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma check that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus. You also gain the ability to levitate along an extra number of feet equal to your intelligence modifier whenever you make a running jump

At 10th level, you cast a cool magic spell that grants you a permanent bonus, choose from the following: <+1 to cantrip attacks> <+1 to AC when you aren't wearing any armour> <use your reaction to cast a magic shield which inflicts Disadvantage on one attack roll on an ally within 5 feet of you> <+2 to cantrip damage as long as you're not holding a weapon>

From 15th level onward, when you roll an 18, 19, or 20 to hit, roll all your damage dice twice and add them together before adding any other damage modifiers.

At 18th level, you can cast a magic boon of resilience on yourself. At the start of your turn, gain 5 + conmod hit points if you're at less than half your hit point total, but not if you've got 0 or fewer hit points.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 22, 2016

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

thespaceinvader posted:

If 'simple fighter' is a desire, then you put in a set of simple manoeuvres at each tier so the simple fighter player can just pick the ones which say 'roll all your dice for damage' or whatever. You don't have to cripple the entire class for something which fundamentally, very few people actually *want*.

I have no data on whether or not it's "very few" people or not. If I were designing for just myself then I'd probably do it your way, but I know that for some people the very act of sifting through maneuvers is itself anathema to what they want out of Fighters. So if I had to design something that other people might use then I'd probably handle it like that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

I have no data on whether or not it's "very few" people or not. If I were designing for just myself then I'd probably do it your way, but I know that for some people the very act of sifting through maneuvers is itself anathema to what they want out of Fighters. So if I had to design something that other people might use then I'd probably handle it like that.

If you have no data, then don't cripple the whole class to cater for something for which you have no data, should always have been the argument. And again, if there really are people who don't want to do that (I've never met them myself) then it's easy enough to design a set of manoeuvres that avoids it entirely, and just publish a suggested 'simple meathead' build.

In my albeit anecdotal experience, I've yet to meet anyone who really wanted or enjoyed the simple one-button fighter archetype. People want to engage with the game in the same way their friends are, making a class that fundamentally disengages them with the majority of the game mechanics just isn't desired.

The only people I've ever seen advocating the pure simple fighter are people who like playing wizards.

And I say this as someone who's genuinely enjoyed playing a Slayer in 4e, but only when I've been able to take a few encounter power option to give me some tactical variety, and even then only because 4e had an engaging mechanical game that the Slayer played just like everyone else, just with slightly fewer moving parts to worry about.

I wouldn't have enjoyed it anywhere near as much without the robust tactical movement game 4e had.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
A player who wants to have no options beyond "I attack" is probably anathema to the very concept of role playing games, so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What do people even get out of a combat heavy system like D&D if they just want to "I attack" through all the combat? Wouldn't something non-combat focused be much better for them?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 22, 2016

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

thespaceinvader posted:

If you have no data, then don't cripple the whole class to cater for something for which you have no data, should always have been the argument. And again, if there really are people who don't want to do that (I've never met them myself) then it's easy enough to design a set of manoeuvres that avoids it entirely, and just publish a suggested 'simple meathead' build.

I think your data is not any better or more extensive that mine in this case. And yes, I have met people who genuinely just want simple Fighters - or at least for it to be one of the given options, they don't require that everybody else also play with simple Fighters of course. Some of them are people I've gamed with for years so I trust their opinions on this.

I also don't agree with the idea that "don't roll maneuvers into the base class" is the same as crippling the entire class. Classes can function just fine without maneuvers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkySteak posted:

House Rule that we could all pick one feat+Variant Human character.

Also I understand Impact and I feel that I'm probably going to go with +2 in DEX, bringing it up to 16.
As a general rule, always be stat boosting. If you're unsure, look at what the rest of your party have in their punch stats. If they're punching/magicing with higher numbers than you you'll be missing way more than them, which bites. If I were you I'd pick int or dex (whichever is your preferred punch stat), dump stat points into it until it's a 20, then get to work on the other one.

e: also those are some pretty bad stats for 4d6 drop 1. Standard array is 15 14 13 12 10 8 before racial modifiers.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
if you want a simple fighter then just don't use the maneuvers and just say "i attack" boom done.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got an email from my GM with a suggestion for a new feat.

quote:

Improved Concentration

While you have this feat you can concentrate on a number of spells equal to your spellcasting modifier.
When you take damage you must make concentration checks for each concentration spell you are currently concentrating on.

:v:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

LongDarkNight posted:

Wait... your DM wants to introduce that feat into his own game?

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
gotta buff the poor casters

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LongDarkNight posted:

:v:
Suicide and reroll a human variant wizard. Even if you're already a human variant wizard.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Sage Genesis posted:

Wait... your DM wants to introduce that feat into his own game?

Yup. I think it's mostly intended for his wife who plays a Druid. Do they have a lot of concentration spells?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

LongDarkNight posted:

Yup. I think it's mostly intended for his wife who plays a Druid. Do they have a lot of concentration spells?

Long answer:
Go here http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/
Then select Druid, Concentration Yes, and Source PHB if you want to stick with just the core.

Short answer:
Yes, exactly 50 of them.

Concentration spells were designed explicitly with only one goal: so that they could not be stacked. Stacking up to 5 of them (or 10 or 15 because god forbid a multiclass caster ever gets his hands on this abomination) is going to get insane.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

I think your data is not any better or more extensive that mine in this case. And yes, I have met people who genuinely just want simple Fighters - or at least for it to be one of the given options, they don't require that everybody else also play with simple Fighters of course. Some of them are people I've gamed with for years so I trust their opinions on this.

I also don't agree with the idea that "don't roll maneuvers into the base class" is the same as crippling the entire class. Classes can function just fine without maneuvers.

I don't disagree. But my position is 'start by making a good game' whereas the alternative position of 'design shittily because anecdotal evidence indicates that people want lovely fighters' is dumb and bad. Just as much anecdotal evidence indicates the opposite, and it's *all* anecdotal evidence* so maybe it would be good someday if someone with a bunch of resources like, say, WotC in a giant 100kperson playtest, could maybe have loving found out. But they didn't.

I'm not necessarily saying that's what your suggestion is, it's more that that's the ur-suggestion that Essentials worked from, and the every progressive iteration of the 5e playtest worked from, and it bugs the poo poo out of me. I like playing big hulking bruisers who hit things with other things, story-wise. I also like playing strong tactical games with all of the tools those games provide. So it bugs the poo poo out of me when 3/4 of the book is material for the 50% of classes that get access to it and the classes I enjoy playing, don't.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't disagree. But my position is 'start by making a good game' whereas the alternative position of 'design shittily because anecdotal evidence indicates that people want lovely fighters' is dumb and bad. Just as much anecdotal evidence indicates the opposite, and it's *all* anecdotal evidence* so maybe it would be good someday if someone with a bunch of resources like, say, WotC in a giant 100kperson playtest, could maybe have loving found out. But they didn't.

I'm not necessarily saying that's what your suggestion is, it's more that that's the ur-suggestion that Essentials worked from, and the every progressive iteration of the 5e playtest worked from, and it bugs the poo poo out of me. I like playing big hulking bruisers who hit things with other things, story-wise. I also like playing strong tactical games with all of the tools those games provide. So it bugs the poo poo out of me when 3/4 of the book is material for the 50% of classes that get access to it and the classes I enjoy playing, don't.

It is sad that the best way to play a fighter in 5th is to make a wizard, beg your DM to let you start with a fighter-number of hitpoints, and then reflavour all your spells into fighty combat actions.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Elfgames posted:

if you want a simple fighter then just don't use the maneuvers and just say "i attack" boom done.

So the counter-argument I've seen to this is "but if there are maneuvers and I'm never doing them, then I know I'm playing in an underpowered way!" And I'm like, buddy, you picked a Fighter. You already know you're playing in an underpowered way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

it's easy enough to design a set of manoeuvres that avoids it entirely, and just publish a suggested 'simple meathead' build.

Yeah, I think it's important to remember that instead of making a player use the 4E Slayer, that they could instead use the standard Fighter and just pick powers that only ever deal damage or deal more damage.

Andrast posted:

What do people even get out of a combat heavy system like D&D if they just want to "I attack" through all the combat? Wouldn't something non-combat focused be much better for them?

The idea is that if you don't define "I attack" as being anything in particular, then the player can "flavor" their attack to be anything they like. Specifically, they can make the attack fit into whatever particular circumstances the players find themselves in, and that they can essentially petition the DM for bonuses or advantages based on such "roleplaying". This sort of dovetails with the belief of some within the hobby that as you get "better" as TRPGs, the mechanics just "fades away" and you start thinking of situations as they are described to you, rather than having to think of your actions and reactions as defined by your character sheet.

This works pretty well if you're playing TSR-era D&D and a single attack supposed to be a bunch of different movements and actions performed over the course of a minute, subsumed and abstracted into a single attack roll, but logically breaks down in 3rd Edition and later when you've defined a single roll as a 6-second slice of time and a parry or a disarm attempt or a trip attempt or a lunging strike are all strictly defined actions that you technically cannot grant to a player on the spur of the moment without stepping on the toes of whoever is supposed to have those particular mechanics as their special ability.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Andrast posted:

I've played with people like this before, and generally it comes down to the following: They want to play dnd, because they enjoy hanging out with their friends, they enjoy talking with NPCs and interacting, but they don't want to bother reading 200 pages of spells and learning how they interact with different monsters. They don't want to figure out if glitterdust blinds, what blinding means, and what monsters are immune. They can *always* attack the monster, regardless of what it is. They would be better served by a lighter system, but they still want to play with their friends, and DnD happens to be what they're playing.

(As a side note, encourage people like this to play spellcasters winds up with action paralysis, and a lot of "I attack because I don't know what any of my spells do")

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheCog posted:

I've played with people like this before, and generally it comes down to the following: They want to play dnd, because they enjoy hanging out with their friends, they enjoy talking with NPCs and interacting, but they don't want to bother reading 200 pages of spells and learning how they interact with different monsters. They don't want to figure out if glitterdust blinds, what blinding means, and what monsters are immune. They can *always* attack the monster, regardless of what it is. They would be better served by a lighter system, but they still want to play with their friends, and DnD happens to be what they're playing.

(As a side note, encourage people like this to play spellcasters winds up with action paralysis, and a lot of "I attack because I don't know what any of my spells do")

so they want them to make D&D for people who don't want to play D&D?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Savidudeosoo posted:

That's always the jackpot, getting a group together that'll last through many different systems. Do you mind giving the rundown on the party's composition?

We have a halfling bard that wishes she were much more interesting than she really is. Her name is Fanny, but she tells people it is Fantasma. She asked for one of every instrument in exchange for the prison break, but instead she is gonna get a magical harp that can sound like any instrument. Next up is a Way of the Drunken Fist monk that I homebrewed on request. Wants to open her own tavern. She was promised the deed to a run down building in a pretty big city for the prison break. She wants to make the tavern their base of operations. Third character is a warlock that made a deal with a devil to win the heart of a Lord's daughter as well as her hand in marriage. He was successful, but his new father in law was outraged at his status and gave him a scroll of favors he must do to be accepted into the family. The writing is so small it requires a magnifying glass and he's pretty sure new favors keep appearing but he can't be positive. The prison break is helping out a friend of the Lord's, one of the many tasks on the list. Last character is a Druid that roams as a circle ambassador to the plebeians of the world to show them that the woods themselves are not to be feared. He was promised info on the location of an ancient moon well in exchange for the prison break. His circle basically told him to say yes. The Druid and Bard are completely new to TRPGs, the Monk and Warlock are just new to 5e and only know D&D. I'm a first time DM but have been playing lots of games for a while.

I'd love to see them get their hands on AW or mouse guard. Eventually we will have a big discussion about what system we can run that achieves what the party wants out of their games. D&D is a surprisingly good transition from video games to role playing for the newbies, though, and we all enjoy the conceptual dungeon diving and dragon slaying.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

TheCog posted:

Sounds like they want dungeon world. They have 3 pages to read and done.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheCog posted:

One of the early playtest fighter builds was something like: Player says "I want to knock this guy down/shove this guy away/trip this guy/whatever" and rolls an extra die with their damage. If it rolls high enough, that thing happens. Otherwise it just does more damage. It was the "Yes but the FIghter can roleplay cool things!" argument but actually mechanically supported as a unique class feature.

It's gone now, of course.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Fallorn posted:

Sounds like they want dungeon world. They have 3 pages to read and done.

Sure, I agree, but its extremely unlikely that the people who write the Dnd core books are going to say "if you want to play something mechanically simpler, go to our competitor!". Not to mention that if the rest of the group is happy with DnD and the guy playing "I hit things" is happy, change seems like an unlikely proposition.

I fully believe in revamping all the non-caster classes from the ground up, but the arguments in favor of having a class that is supposedly able to contribute to combat without much thought on the part of the person playing it exist for a reason.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheCog posted:

Sure, I agree, but its extremely unlikely that the people who write the Dnd core books are going to say "if you want to play something mechanically simpler, go to our competitor!". Not to mention that if the rest of the group is happy with DnD and the guy playing "I hit things" is happy, change seems like an unlikely proposition.

I fully believe in revamping all the non-caster classes from the ground up, but the arguments in favor of having a class that is supposedly able to contribute to combat without much thought on the part of the person playing it exist for a reason.

you cant make a one button fighter more complex but you can play a complex fighter with one button, and you cant use the "well if my class has levers and i'm not pulling them then i'm being sub optimal" bullshit because that's what you want you want something sub optimal.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Splicer posted:

One of the early playtest fighter builds was something like: Player says "I want to knock this guy down/shove this guy away/trip this guy/whatever" and rolls an extra die with their damage. If it rolls high enough, that thing happens. Otherwise it just does more damage. It was the "Yes but the FIghter can roleplay cool things!" argument but actually mechanically supported as a unique class feature.

It's gone now, of course.
That was the best (and most telling) part of the playtest: the way the fighter got less interesting, less powerful, and fewer options as the updated playtest packs came out.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

FMguru posted:

That was the best (and most telling) part of the playtest: the way the fighter got less interesting, less powerful, and fewer options as the updated playtest packs came out.

I think the most disappointing thing was seeing what used to be fighter features given to other classes like Barb and Pally.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
After trying to get my brother to play an RPG with me for years he finally wants to along with a few of our friends (spread out across the country). They are all brand new to pen and paper while I have played a few but never past the first few levels, and no experiencing running a game. What would be a good premade adventure for me to run as a player in the game for the group?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

a harpy posted:

We have a halfling bard that wishes she were much more interesting than she really is. Her name is Fanny, but she tells people it is Fantasma. She asked for one of every instrument in exchange for the prison break, but instead she is gonna get a magical harp that can sound like any instrument. Next up is a Way of the Drunken Fist monk that I homebrewed on request. Wants to open her own tavern. She was promised the deed to a run down building in a pretty big city for the prison break. She wants to make the tavern their base of operations. Third character is a warlock that made a deal with a devil to win the heart of a Lord's daughter as well as her hand in marriage. He was successful, but his new father in law was outraged at his status and gave him a scroll of favors he must do to be accepted into the family. The writing is so small it requires a magnifying glass and he's pretty sure new favors keep appearing but he can't be positive. The prison break is helping out a friend of the Lord's, one of the many tasks on the list. Last character is a Druid that roams as a circle ambassador to the plebeians of the world to show them that the woods themselves are not to be feared. He was promised info on the location of an ancient moon well in exchange for the prison break. His circle basically told him to say yes. The Druid and Bard are completely new to TRPGs, the Monk and Warlock are just new to 5e and only know D&D. I'm a first time DM but have been playing lots of games for a while.

I'd love to see them get their hands on AW or mouse guard. Eventually we will have a big discussion about what system we can run that achieves what the party wants out of their games. D&D is a surprisingly good transition from video games to role playing for the newbies, though, and we all enjoy the conceptual dungeon diving and dragon slaying.

Holy poo poo, great characters all around! Especially from the players new to TRPGs.

And I've heard a lot of good things about Mouseguard, so good luck with that.

Elfgames posted:

you cant make a one button fighter more complex but you can play a complex fighter with one button, and you cant use the "well if my class has levers and i'm not pulling them then i'm being sub optimal" bullshit because that's what you want you want something sub optimal.

Exactly. Game design shouldn't try to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Savidudeosoo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 22, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is one variant of one class (out of 11 classes with ~3 variants each) enough variety in "simple" classes? Why is this specifically only for fighters? Is it too hard to imagine a dude who went to wizard school specifically to learn how to throw the best lightning possible at people, all day, every day? What about a shaman lady with the Great Spirit Ursa transforming her into a huge glowing bear when she fights? A cleric with a god who demands that disciples find things they don't like and hit them really really hard with a warhammer and grants them the power to do so as long as you promise to do it as often as possible? A Ranger who has a wolf friend who will bite the living poo poo out of whatever he's shooting at right now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goodness posted:

After trying to get my brother to play an RPG with me for years he finally wants to along with a few of our friends (spread out across the country). They are all brand new to pen and paper while I have played a few but never past the first few levels, and no experiencing running a game. What would be a good premade adventure for me to run as a player in the game for the group?

Dungeon World. Or, basically any game other than D&D. D&D really isn't that forgiving to brand new players.

I know that is a pretty looked-down-on answer in this thread, but it's accurate. For completely new people, play a better game that;s more forgiving at early levels and less conflicted between what it wants to be and what it is.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Simple fighters as a design goal has never made sense to me because when you get your friends together to play Twilight Imperium you don't let Steve play Checkers with the little plastic spaceships just so he can hang out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Boing posted:

A player who wants to have no options beyond "I attack" is probably anathema to the very concept of role playing games, so

You'd think that, but back when 4e was new, I ran Encounters games at the FLGS. One of the players was your classic Old Grog who knew 3.x inside and out and would tell you ALL ABOUT IT. When it actually came time to play, all he ever did on his turn was 'I attack.' Not 'I use such and such at-will' even, just 'I attack.'

He was the wizard.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
No, see that still checks out. Guy who's entire purpose is to, when called upon to act, decrees 'I attack' is anathema to role-playing games, a shared entertainment media in which a group of persons craft either a story intentionally or unintentionally and forge some form of companionship. I read a lot of Dan Simmons, but that doesn't make me interested in classics.

Also grogs misunderstanding either 4e or the Wizard role is high comedy and a treasure.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Simple fighters as a design goal has never made sense to me because when you get your friends together to play Twilight Imperium you don't let Steve play Checkers with the little plastic spaceships just so he can hang out.

Some people want a class with few(er) moving parts, so they don't have to engage in a lot of min-maxy dissection of chargen to come out the other side with a certain baseline effectiveness relative to the rest of the party. Personally I don't mind (and sometimes prefer) having a character that boils down to a basic attack machine since it keeps turns quick and the game moving.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tendales posted:

You'd think that, but back when 4e was new, I ran Encounters games at the FLGS. One of the players was your classic Old Grog who knew 3.x inside and out and would tell you ALL ABOUT IT. When it actually came time to play, all he ever did on his turn was 'I attack.' Not 'I use such and such at-will' even, just 'I attack.'

He was the wizard.

I had a similar experience with 4th ed not long after it came out. The guy wasn't a grognard, but had played plenty of 2nd ed, favoring wizards and clerics, and was a good, fun, attentive player. I want it to be perfectly clear that his knowledge of 4th edition before this session was limited to "my friend Alphadog told me there was a new edition of D&D and asked if I wanted to play".

He played a ranger and never once used an AEDU ability. Afterwards, he didn't want to play again because it was "boring" and there "wasn't anything interesting to do". I can't see that making his "I attacks" bigger would have changed anything at all.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Dungeon World. Or, basically any game other than D&D. D&D really isn't that forgiving to brand new players.

I know that is a pretty looked-down-on answer in this thread, but it's accurate. For completely new people, play a better game that;s more forgiving at early levels and less conflicted between what it wants to be and what it is.
I've seen a other games recommended in this thread but I've never gotten how its supposed to be helpful I mean yea its certainly a good idea to consider non D&D games If the group is already considering changing gears but its not like you can just tell them to drop what their doing out of the blue.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I had a similar experience with 4th ed not long after it came out. The guy wasn't a grognard, but had played plenty of 2nd ed, favoring wizards and clerics, and was a good, fun, attentive player. I want it to be perfectly clear that his knowledge of 4th edition before this session was limited to "my friend Alphadog told me there was a new edition of D&D and asked if I wanted to play".

He played a ranger and never once used an AEDU ability. Afterwards, he didn't want to play again because it was "boring" and there "wasn't anything interesting to do". I can't see that making his "I attacks" bigger would have changed anything at all.

That there are people out there who stubbornly refuse to use powers in D&D 4e is one of those things that makes me realize I understand even less than I thought I did about how people work. I mean, it's a Ranger. Spam Twin Strike. I've also run into these people in real life and it was just as baffling, but that was years ago and I can't remember the specifics. The only recent-ish issue I've had is in my Strike campaign I've had two players who before mostly played 40K RPGs and a touch of Shadowrun in one case who had the hardest time understanding how power blocks worked, but they at least understood they should USE them when pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Monk E posted:

I've seen a other games recommended in this thread but I've never gotten how its supposed to be helpful I mean yea its certainly a good idea to consider non D&D games If the group is already considering changing gears but its not like you can just tell them to drop what their doing out of the blue.

It's a question specifically related to a group that's brand new to P&P RPGs. D&D is a terrible game for groups of people brand new to P&P RPGs. I'd've kept my nose out in basically any other situation, but 'play a different game' is genuinely the best piece of advice in this situation.