Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The Rush Hour mod is brutal.

With that kind of traffic backup it's gonna be Rush Year at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The Rush Hour mod is brutal.

does the rush hour mod have issues if you turn off the day/night cycle? I had started a new city with it and noticed the time frozen at noon, and I like to keep the cycle off until I have the basics down.

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Check your day/night cycle. If it's showing days of the week I think it's working. It should be especially obvious if you look at a school. If it's the weekend or night time it should be empty. The rush hours aren't especially potent for work days as not all cims work every day for whatever reason, but I definitely see daily commutes, as well as more cims active in commercial and leisure sites on the weekend. If you want to make the effect more potent you can make it so that there's less variation in working hours.

Gotcha, thanks. I think the mod is working, as I see weekdays and a lot less traffic on Sundays. Still, I really don't see a lot of commuters. Reducing the variation of my working hours did not help. How can my industry produce goods if no employees ever make it there?

Did you tune your working hours to achieve that much residential traffic? I am beginning to suspect that some of my other traffic mods are causing my problems. I use Traffic Manager President Edition to make the highway AI less insane.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any settings or mods that'll just simply let me... turn down the streetlight intensity? Cos drat it's over the top for my quiet little town.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MikeC posted:

Just got After Dark on the team sale and I am trying to figure out some of the new buildings and acquaint myself with some old systems.

I take this that CIMs pilling at bus stops is no bueno? I have increased the funding but it doesn't seem to help.
I think that's fairly normal. Residential agents don't seem to do anything important in the economic sim so it's practically a good thing they are stuck in public transport purgatory, kept safely off the road.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Gonna try and get back into this game. But I always have trouble making a town to start with that isn't either inefficient as heck or looks totally artificial.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

Gonna try and get back into this game. But I always have trouble making a town to start with that isn't either inefficient as heck or looks totally artificial.
I've found that the right map with the right starting point helps a lot with making an initial city that doesn't look weird. Right now I'm playing with this Country of Dream map, which uses the Network Extensions mod (make sure you have it) to make more of a rural highway network to start with rather than the vanilla big-rear end highway ending in an abrupt fart for you to build off of. It feels much less awkward to build off the little two-lane rural highway from Network Extensions, or just upgrade a segment of the highway into zoneable roads and make that an early Main Street.

I've been having a go at making several independent little burgs and then slowly building up into a megalopolis from that:

Only downside of that map in particular is that the river is just for looks and has practically no flow, and the lakes are all incredibly shallow. Figuring out where to dump sewage has been tricky.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ofaloaf posted:

Only downside of that map in particular is that the river is just for looks and has practically no flow, and the lakes are all incredibly shallow. Figuring out where to dump sewage has been tricky.
Sounds like you need a modular water treatment plant.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm a huge sperg who's trying to keep an old-timey feel to as much of the city as possible, though. Dumping raw sewage into sitting water is right in the spirit of things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CJacobs posted:

With that kind of traffic backup it's gonna be Rush Year at this rate.

Looks like a pretty standard rush hour in the U.S.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Are there any settings or mods that'll just simply let me... turn down the streetlight intensity? Cos drat it's over the top for my quiet little town.

I believe the Network Skins mod will let you choose which street lights (or none) to use.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

necrotic posted:

does the rush hour mod have issues if you turn off the day/night cycle? I had started a new city with it and noticed the time frozen at noon, and I like to keep the cycle off until I have the basics down.

I have no clue.

thepostaldude posted:

Gotcha, thanks. I think the mod is working, as I see weekdays and a lot less traffic on Sundays. Still, I really don't see a lot of commuters. Reducing the variation of my working hours did not help. How can my industry produce goods if no employees ever make it there?

Yeah, I still don't see many people going to work. :iiam:

thepostaldude posted:

Did you tune your working hours to achieve that much residential traffic? I am beginning to suspect that some of my other traffic mods are causing my problems. I use Traffic Manager President Edition to make the highway AI less insane.

I added some leisure zoning to that area, as I wanted to make a touristy zone. Turns out that Rush Hour makes people choose visiting leisure over other commercial zones, so my entire city wants to commute there in the evenings. To make matters worse there's an event at the convention center, so the other half of the city wants to get to that district, too. To make matters as bad as possible it's located on the far end of the map, so every person commuting to the area is coming from a single direction.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Just started my first snowy city. Game status: Maximum Comfy

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Good news, a snowfall hotfix for Traffic ++ v2 is on the way.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I'm gonna try a new city tonight where I don't do the whole maximum-efficiency-grid thing. That humble little burg a few posts up is amazing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Good news, a snowfall hotfix for Traffic ++ v2 is on the way.

I'm interested in this as by default tramways are about half the default max speed of trams. Is the performance impact very bad, though? I'm pretty much only interested in it to adjust the speed of tram-only tracks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm interested in this as by default tramways are about half the default max speed of trams. Is the performance impact very bad, though? I'm pretty much only interested in it to adjust the speed of tram-only tracks.

What the heck, why do trams slow down when they have their own right of way??

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

What the heck, why do trams slow down when they have their own right of way??

They travel at the same speed as the roads they're on like regular cars. As I understand it 40-50 KPH is actually pretty fast for a tram.

What I'd like to see, though, is trams able to hit faster speeds if they're on separated tram tracks. That'd give them a more distinct niche and a lot more utility.

Given that trams have a top speed double that of their dedicated tracks I really wonder if it's an oversight, rather than design.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 22, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

zedprime posted:

I think that's fairly normal. Residential agents don't seem to do anything important in the economic sim so it's practically a good thing they are stuck in public transport purgatory, kept safely off the road.

Is there any place where I can find a detailed description of how the Residential agents work? The wiki is next to useless

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Koesj posted:

It's gotten an update a couple of hours ago. Works for me!

e: jfc these map themes are insane

(this one is mine)

e2:

It's Figueroa at Wilshire which I had on my maybe possibly to-do list but this one's ace enough not to try and steal its thunder.

Any tips for making a sunken freeway like this? Even using the ditch and level terraforming tools, the sides come out looking jagged and lovely.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Any tips for making a sunken freeway like this? Even using the ditch and level terraforming tools, the sides come out looking jagged and lovely.

Level tool at a set -9m height for the ditch, smoothen tool, and a couple cells buffer was all I ever did outside of calculating all my curves on the road itself.

e: also more often than not I just use FRH's ground construction mode at negative elevation instead of messing around with terrain tools.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 23, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Koesj posted:

Level tool at a set -9m height for the ditch, smoothen tool, and a couple cells buffer was all I ever did outside of calculating all my curves on the road itself.

e: also more often than not I just use FRH's ground construction mode at negative elevation instead of messing around with terrain tools.

Thanks. Is there a way to set the level tool to always do 9m below current ground level or if I'm trying to make a sunken highway on terrain that is slightly sloped am I gonna have to really micromanage it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The latter. I start off with flat areas anyway and only do macro terrain features after I'm satisfied with the way the city's growing. Speaking of which, I've hit 50k, so it's probably time for a fresh start :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
A true builder's city isn't finished until they hit megalopolis :colbert:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The real fun begins around 150k when you really have to think about optimising things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They travel at the same speed as the roads they're on like regular cars. As I understand it 40-50 KPH is actually pretty fast for a tram.

What I'd like to see, though, is trams able to hit faster speeds if they're on separated tram tracks. That'd give them a more distinct niche and a lot more utility.

Given that trams have a top speed double that of their dedicated tracks I really wonder if it's an oversight, rather than design.

Yeah 40-50 is fine in the city, but a lot of cities have "fast trams" (and more being developed since they're pretty successful so far) where once they get out into the suburbs or along a more separated right of way they'll go highway speeds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does solar output drop during snowstorms? Power balancing stations would be a neat addition if so.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah 40-50 is fine in the city, but a lot of cities have "fast trams" (and more being developed since they're pretty successful so far) where once they get out into the suburbs or along a more separated right of way they'll go highway speeds.

Could work as a transport policy. Higher maintenance cost, high speed on dedicated tramways.

Then again, ideas like that only matter if the game's finances weren't such a cakewalk once you're established.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 23, 2016

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Is there any reason why the input/output lanes on the stock maps are off by like half a square? it really messes me up when i get them to run parallel and the grid doesn't link up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Doctor_Acula posted:

Is there any reason why the input/output lanes on the stock maps are off by like half a square? it really messes me up when i get them to run parallel and the grid doesn't link up.

i hate that poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I want something smaller and more flexible than heavy rail that can work with frequent stops. 80-100 kph max speed on dedicated tram tracks would be ideal for this, and would really give trams a unique niche and purpose outside of four lane roads. Right now trams fill a role too close to buses, I think. They aren't any faster and are only better for traffic on one road type.

I could just use metro but it's boring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuc41MXb1UI

Are there any chill let's play/etc. type videos like this of C:S that you guys have watched? I like this dude, but he's only just started doing C:S vids so there isn't much from him yet. I like watching people build cities.

edit: Please no facecams. I saw a twitch guy streaming C:S and he had a facecam and I could only wonder what could possibly happen in the game to warrant it.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuc41MXb1UI

Are there any chill let's play/etc. type videos like this of C:S that you guys have watched? I like this dude, but he's only just started doing C:S vids so there isn't much from him yet. I like watching people build cities.

edit: Please no facecams. I saw a twitch guy streaming C:S and he had a facecam and I could only wonder what could possibly happen in the game to warrant it.

You could watch Sips? He is doing lots of C:S vids atm, plus he is a goon. He is a bit slow, and loves plopping trees, but he is generally very easy to watch and pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6mTUFFsRs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dravs posted:

You could watch Sips? He is doing lots of C:S vids atm, plus he is a goon. He is a bit slow, and loves plopping trees, but he is generally very easy to watch and pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6mTUFFsRs

I was skipping around and landed on the 16:00 mark where he goes on a 2 minute excited (for him anyways) rant about "slinging class A drugs on mainstreet USA" comedy gold wtf

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tram lines can't turn around unless I build a little loopy on the end of the road? That's just dumb. Defeats the entire point of most trams being bidirectional.

I'm a little disappointed that this game has been out for a week and I can't download W-class or Z-class trams. Melbourne pride is clearly dead.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 23, 2016

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

How easy would it be to adjust the flow in the editor?

I'm also looking to get back into the game. I got it at launch and got kind of intimidated by all the poo poo you can play around with, and all I could really make was ugly-rear end grid cities. Any advice on how to build things? Is there a good guide that folks recommend?

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.

MikeJF posted:

Tram lines can't turn around unless I build a little loopy on the end of the road? That's just dumb. Defeats the entire point of most trams being bidirectional.

I am using Traffic Manager Presidential Edition which allows for traffic to do a U-Turn at junctions - which is also working for trams, but it looks really, really weird. Guess trams are just special buses afterall?

Also regarding trams: How can I put more tram vehicles on a (rather long) tram route? Increasing the budget to 150% didn't help. Maybe I should use a public transit mod, so I can get them evenly spaced as well.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I just decided to uninstall and unsubscribe every mod I've ever had to this game. At this point, I feel like I'm back in SC4 trying to find a good set of mods but there's just so damned many. Do any goons here have any nice compilations or something for fancy, good looking mdos that does not break the game and stuff?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I bought this to scratch the Simcity itch, and remembered that I loving suck rear end at strategy/management games. Over the course of 10 years of on-again/off-again play, I only ever made one self-sustaining full map metropolis in SC2000. This game is putting into perspective why that was.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I just decided to uninstall and unsubscribe every mod I've ever had to this game. At this point, I feel like I'm back in SC4 trying to find a good set of mods but there's just so damned many. Do any goons here have any nice compilations or something for fancy, good looking mdos that does not break the game and stuff?

Simulation:

Right now I'm using a setup of three simulation mods that are really, really good in conjunction with one another. They make the traffic simulation very, very difficult and much more believable, so use at your own risk. That said it's a lot more interesting than vanilla.

Rush Hour - Slows down the day/night cycle and gives cims schedules based on the time of day. They go to work, school, shopping, etc. at appropriate hours. It also adds events held at certain buildings, like stadiums and the expo center, which attract lots of visitors. Future versions of the mod will also remove pocket cars, requiring you to manage parking availability.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605590542

Realistic Population and Consumption Mod - Changes building states. R1 residential buildings typically hold one household, while the jobs and households of larger buildings are determined by volume. This means that far, far fewer people live in low residential spaces while far, far more people inhabit urban centers. It also makes it so that large offices and commercial buildings generate many more jobs.

Importantly, the inhabitant per square meter values can be modified to match personal taste for each class and level of building via the mod's xml file. The default values were a little daunting for me, especially due to performance reasons, but editing them is trivial.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Resident Travel Rebalance v1.1 - Adjusts how cims travel. Low density cims greatly prefer cars to other forms of transportation, while high density residents will typically shoot for taxis, bikes, walking. Education and age factor in as well, somehow. The rates of public transportation use aren't impacted.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=541673195

These three mods combined make really, really apparent ebbs and flows in traffic and commutes. There is huge rush hour when work begins and ends, when kids are going to school, and tons of activity around commercial and leisure zones in the evening and during the weekends.

This is what it looks like in practice. My test town with a population of 7000~ breaks my standard road design practices, there's a complete bottleneck from the factory doors to the roundabout overpass. I could fix the problems easily, but the remarkable thing is that there are problems there at all. Normally that setup wouldn't be phased by the traffic load, but the three mods working in conjuncture kill it.

I would highly recommend these three mods together if you are familiar enough with the vanilla game that the traffic simulation has become cookie cutter to you, or if you're really wanting to jump into a more rational and satisfying traffic simulation in general. These three mods also don't have a huge performance impact on your CPU despite drastically enhancing the simulation, especially if you tweak Realistic Population's XML values to be closer to vanilla.

Mods that should be vanilla features:

Precision Engineering - Greatly expands the information presented when laying roads, allowing for hugely streamlined and easier building.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445589127

Bulldozer Elevation Control - Lets you go underground from the bulldozer tool.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514223372

Fine Road Heights Roads have increments of 3 meters instead of six.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413678178

Automatic Bulldoze - Abandoned buildings are torn down automatically.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406132323

Randomize Age Cims Move in - Prevents death waves.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571655171

Automatic Emptying - Empties facilities automatically, making cemeteries and garbage dumps somewhat worth using.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407873631

Mods I recommend:

Infinite Oil And Ore Redux - Ore and Oil aren't consumed by buildings.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580335918

Network Extensions Project - Adds more road types to the game. A lot of them aren't that useful, but some are incredibly convenient or powerful tools for controlling traffic in a performance efficient way. The bidirectional two lane highway (national road) makes the mod worth it alone. Individual roads can be enabled or disabled as well. It also adds tunnel interiors, I guess? I haven't paid attention.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478820060

Improved Public Transport - Allows you to control the number of vehicles on each route, what type of vehicle is added, automatically spaces them and shows the number of cims waiting at each stop. All of these features are incredibly useful.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424106600

Crossings - Manually place crosswalks. A surprisingly powerful tool.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427258853

Traffic Managers: Note, both these mods will tank your performance. Because of this I actually don't use either, but they are very popular.

Traffic++ V2 - Allows you to adjust speed limits, lanes, vehicle restrictions and has simulation impacting options such as disabling despawns.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626024868

Traffic Manager: President Edition - Allows for manual control of traffic lights, signage, vehicle restrictions, and includes vehicle AI which will randomize lane usage.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583429740

thepostaldude posted:

Also regarding trams: How can I put more tram vehicles on a (rather long) tram route? Increasing the budget to 150% didn't help. Maybe I should use a public transit mod, so I can get them evenly spaced as well.

Improved Public Transport is a good pick up. Spaces vehicles and allows you to manually add and remove them. It also gives you a handy lowdown of how many commuters are at each stop so you can figure out how many vehicles are needed on the route.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I was skipping around and landed on the 16:00 mark where he goes on a 2 minute excited (for him anyways) rant about "slinging class A drugs on mainstreet USA" comedy gold wtf

He makes up little stories and vingettes like that all the time. It adds some silly flavor to the city and its all pretty lighthearted.