Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I legitimately had a lot of fun in this beta, and after playing it I don't even want to necessarily be like "its a bad game but"

Its a baffling game, but its actually pretty fun from what I did. We'll see how the endgame holds up

This is a good summery of my beta experience as well.

The crafting and workers system is so in-depth that I found myself playing for several hours without killing a single mob and still feeling like I was making real progress on my character. This is definitely not a typical game and while I have serious doubts that we will be able to have as much fun in PVP as we are hoping, the other systems alone are well worth the $30.

Plus this is hands down the best looking MMO I've played. By some dark magic the towns really do seem "alive" as cliche as that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eonwe posted:

oh, can someone explain siege PvP for me, like how that works and stuff?

also will the Crimson Battlefield be in? I read an article about that and it seemed fun
Siege PvP is a scheduled FFA with conquest condition of last team standing. Crimson Battlefield was released shortly prior to the first part of second expansion.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LegalPad posted:

By some dark magic the towns really do seem "alive" as cliche as that sounds.

They hit a sweet spot with NPC density and they did a good job with how the NPCs interact with each other. Part of it is animations but it is also graphics quality. The facial expressions and the way they look at each other feels more real and less like a deer in headlights.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

They hit a sweet spot with NPC density and they did a good job with how the NPCs interact with each other. Part of it is animations but it is also graphics quality. The facial expressions and the way they look at each other feels more real and less like a deer in headlights.

They also did a really good job on the foliage and terrain. There is enough ground cover and random bushes and flowers and stuff that areas like the little valleys and meadows that you can find off the beaten path look really, really pretty and much more natural than in most other games.

I also love that I didn't encounter a single invisible wall anywhere. I know there are some blocking off the actual edges of the map, but there's none separating the inland areas and if you want you can just pick a direction, climb over pretty much any mountain in your way, and get to the other side with no trouble. The "parkour" system is really handy for climbing up rocky cliffs and hills that you'd never be able to scale in a regular mmo. And then you climb a random mountain and there's stuff up there like herbs and ore and horses!

This is a Good Game and I really want to play it more.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

lewtt posted:

the servers are in san jose, california. ie literally on USA West Coast

Ah that's why I have a ping of 5. I thought I was just being lied too.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

lewtt posted:

:eonwe::eonwe:Alright cool guys, if you played a class and liked it, do a short writeup of it and i'll toss it in OP:eonwe::eonwe:

I played a Zerker. It was pretty fun, I will probably roll one again as an alt.

You get lotsa of AoE abilities, and a lot of pretty cool grappling abilities that deal decent single target damage and allow you to basically smack people around with the person you grappled. One of the issues I found with it though is that you really don't know what you can grapple and what you can't until you actually try, like there were beetles I could grapple, and goblins I couldn't. It's pretty easy to play though, everything you do deals lots of damage and you get plenty of extra hp.

The class however has basically no evasion access however (compared to sorceress), so it becomes a bit more difficult to solo various higher level bosses besides the standard evasion dodge (since you can't really tank too many hits head on without chainsmoking potions).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

Middleish Europe. I am getting 200-300 ping on average with a 300+ spikes if there are a lot of players nearby. It would be annoying but playable in no-action MMO, but here it is extremely noticeable, especially when using any mobility skill, which usually ends up with lag and me either rubber-banding or being randomly teleported around. On EU server I have sub 100 ping, and the difference in how the game feels and plays is incredible (duh).

That's like a normal day for any Oceanic player used to playing an a NA server. I get 400 or 450+ on an EU server in most games.

You get used to it :shrug: but if you have the option for a better ping then sure, go for it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SweetBro posted:

The class however has basically no evasion access however (compared to sorceress), so it becomes a bit more difficult to solo various higher level bosses besides the standard evasion dodge (since you can't really tank too many hits head on without chainsmoking potions).
Literal lack of useful evasion is later compensated by ample vampirism and general tankiness sufficient to ignore most things that aren't very well equipped players.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
My opinion really doesn't matter, but I ended up digging the game a bunch even though there's some real problems I have with it. Like how you can't trade a lot of things between people, making those elaborate trade and worker networks you set up more useful to you than others, or how you can't make any armour into a costume or that there's a bunch of other races you can't be.

I found the game really charming and full of life. They voice acted lines for every merchant and wrote out a little backstory for each, and gave everyone their own interests that paint a bit of a picture of them. There's a priest who only wants to talk about theology and a missionary that loves to talk about the people in the town she's in, there's a farmer who wants to hear about adventurers and a merchant who can't recognize faces and only wants to talk about economics. There's a ton of ambient dialogue too, which makes me respect the game and publisher even if some of the voice acting feels out of a dub from the 90's.

The combat is amazing, and things did get harder as I got higher level. While I had the same general strategy throughout, I had to amend tactics sometimes when I realized that certain guys didn't fall over or slow down. I don't know if it will be fun in a team, but I was heartened that it wouldn't just be a spam fest through the whole game. As someone who doesn't care about PvP all that much anymore, this is a big deal to me. I don't mind it, but I'm not salivating over 1v1 duels and gank strategy. I honestly wouldn't have cared at all about this game if it weren't for how many buttons the Wizard class pushed for me and getting a key from some giveaway.

I don't get the feeling this game is going to be very popular, but that's OK by me. As long as they bring over the expansions, I almost would prefer to have a co-op RPG experience in it. It's a surprisingly rich world with a downright shocking about of characterization in it. It's not a story game(that poor woman is always going to be hysterical about the imps on her farm no matter how many I exploded, poor lady), but it's got so much atmosphere that I wished it was. Even the central conceit of the game, your creepy black spirit, has this great sense of unease and tension. It gets bigger and more menacing as time goes on, and the feeling that it was actually very terrible and that I was not going to be able to control it just looms over every interaction it forces you to have with it. It's menacing, it's probably dangerous, and you're basically its prisoner. I don't want to get my hopes up about a satisfying conclusion, but I really was intrigued by how it was playing out.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
wtf Daum it's 07:54UTC and it's supposed to close at 08:00UTC
I wanted to see if I got my Master Baiter title yet

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I logged back in to check a few things and yah, my goblin worker finally finished his promotion test and went from level 10 green to level 1 blue.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't know if I can trust a company that can't even keep to their own schedule

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I don't know if I can trust a company that can't even keep to their own schedule

yeah man the gamers gotta rise and take back the video games from the money grubbing developers
:yeah:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

so i died to one of the scroll boss monsters and my scroll was gone but the lil ghost buddy just kept telling me to use it anyway. was this a bug or is there something else you've gotta do?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Was the ghillie suit character-bound? Because if they drop the prices like I'm expecting them to given the amount of negative press, I want one to use for my Warrior now and my Blader/Ninja later.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

so i died to one of the scroll boss monsters and my scroll was gone but the lil ghost buddy just kept telling me to use it anyway. was this a bug or is there something else you've gotta do?
There has to be a way to reclaim it? I'd post about it on the forums though. I don't think too many people died on that quest.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Was the ghillie suit character-bound? Because if they drop the prices like I'm expecting them to given the amount of negative press, I want one to use for my Warrior now and my Blader/Ninja later.

There has to be a way to reclaim it? I'd post about it on the forums though. I don't think too many people died on that quest.

i saw tons of people die actually, so there's probably a way to get it back. there's a lot of scroll summon bosses in the game too, so probably this has come up before but i didn't really bother to figure out what to do next since the beta was almost over anyway.

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Literal lack of useful evasion is later compensated by ample vampirism and general tankiness sufficient to ignore most things that aren't very well equipped players.

Doesnt the Zerker get an evasion ability at level 10 that you can put skill points into?

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

And sells for a lot. This anime is real life.

How the gently caress do you sell fish in this lovely game...

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

SirBuddha posted:

How the gently caress do you sell fish in this lovely game...

Take it to a trade broker.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
gently caress warrior
I can buy a Lu Bu costume when blader comes to NA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-QWQFjLLE

Since the awakening weapon for Blader is a Musindo, this is gonna be sweet.

or you can be a giant fish

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 22, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

When I died to scroll quest miniboss on my wizard, I just resurrected and killed him.

SirBuddha posted:

Doesnt the Zerker get an evasion ability at level 10 that you can put skill points into?
Not like all other classes that have literal invulnerability either when moving or when staying relatively still.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I ended up liking wizard a lot more than I thought I would (the key combinations aren't carpel tunnel inducing like some other classes). I'll echo the same sentiment a lot of others have. The game feels alive in a refreshing kind of way to the point where I don't really care of the PVP stuff pans out, there's enough of an RPG in here to get 30 bucks worth of fun for a month or two.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Its probably me finally having enough of the "generic MMO" genre, but the second quest giver said to me (or at least thats what I read) "I am the village elder and a veteran of ye olden war, please collect 10 bear asses and then kill me because I can't take this animu flute music any longer".

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I think the first one of those said to cancel the quest and then start it again.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

I noticed my ghillie suit was class specific. Sorry to break the bad news. :[

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So ignoring the meta stuff (shop) and end-game (lack of, PvP), I like what I've seen getting to L24 as a a valkyrie. It's definitely has enough to do that I think its worth playing through once as a single player game ignoring any MMO-aspects. Probably going to buy closer to launch (and hope they lower shop prices - I'd be happy if I can get a costume for 15, or just the main armor for <10).

Combat is very good, with lots of apparent variety in how you combo things together (no idea what would be considered "viable"). I only discovered the joys of shield throw at the very end of the beta, for instance. That into the sword of judgment slam attack thing is amazing for wiping poo poo mobs, guard + jab for tougher stuff, and run around flailing when that doesn't work (drat elite leaping frog thing - though I was underleveled for that).

I have no idea whats going on with the crafting stuff and how to get my lovely raw materials into something worth money. I had 200 pots of honey sitting around that I can't figure out what to do with...apparently I either need shitloads of milk for cookies or a higher cooking level for mead. And half a dozen iron ingots that I can't craft with b/c I don't know where to get crystals (for armor/weapons) and haven't even looked at wagon or boat crafting yet. I did make dozens of pitchers of beer though! The trade system looks to be an excellent mini-game (and I need to figure out what crafting goods creates trade goods to sell into that system) too.

Finally, this was really noticeable, the graphics pop-in is freaking ridiculous, however once everything is loaded, it looks really good. Running mid-30s on a GTX 760 @ high.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
So I decided to straight up buy the game, I thought it was $50 but $30 im totally fine paying if it gets me even a few weeks of gameplay. Are there any details for Goon guilds when this goes live (Australian player).

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

hobocrunch posted:

So I decided to straight up buy the game, I thought it was $50 but $30 im totally fine paying if it gets me even a few weeks of gameplay. Are there any details for Goon guilds when this goes live (Australian player).

Come release lewtt is making a guild on Eden server where the majority of us will play.

(Probably)

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

lurksion posted:

So ignoring the meta stuff (shop) and end-game (lack of, PvP), I like what I've seen getting to L24 as a a valkyrie. It's definitely has enough to do that I think its worth playing through once as a single player game ignoring any MMO-aspects. Probably going to buy closer to launch (and hope they lower shop prices - I'd be happy if I can get a costume for 15, or just the main armor for <10).

Combat is very good, with lots of apparent variety in how you combo things together (no idea what would be considered "viable"). I only discovered the joys of shield throw at the very end of the beta, for instance. That into the sword of judgment slam attack thing is amazing for wiping poo poo mobs, guard + jab for tougher stuff, and run around flailing when that doesn't work (drat elite leaping frog thing - though I was underleveled for that).

I have no idea whats going on with the crafting stuff and how to get my lovely raw materials into something worth money. I had 200 pots of honey sitting around that I can't figure out what to do with...apparently I either need shitloads of milk for cookies or a higher cooking level for mead. And half a dozen iron ingots that I can't craft with b/c I don't know where to get crystals (for armor/weapons) and haven't even looked at wagon or boat crafting yet. I did make dozens of pitchers of beer though! The trade system looks to be an excellent mini-game (and I need to figure out what crafting goods creates trade goods to sell into that system) too.

Finally, this was really noticeable, the graphics pop-in is freaking ridiculous, however once everything is loaded, it looks really good. Running mid-30s on a GTX 760 @ high.

No pop-in all maxxed but what disturbing is distant players/npc's appear with no texture (all black). I played tamer during beta and there was like zero combo variety and the thing that really annoys me is the localization, everything has translation errors, the dialogues make no sense most of the time and the UI/skills is so full of mistakes that you have to guess what buttons will do based on their lovely translation. Also the voice acting is terrible but I guess points for the effort but this ruins the single player rpg vibe

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Sh4 posted:

No pop-in all maxxed but what disturbing is distant players/npc's appear with no texture (all black). I played tamer during beta and there was like zero combo variety and the thing that really annoys me is the localization, everything has translation errors, the dialogues make no sense most of the time and the UI/skills is so full of mistakes that you have to guess what buttons will do based on their lovely translation. Also the voice acting is terrible but I guess points for the effort but this ruins the single player rpg vibe

Welcome to china game territory

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Makes sense stably to me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah? whats weird about that

the enemy will be injured in a moment

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
if you dont stand stably when you stab you gonna fall over

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sh4 posted:

No pop-in all maxxed but what disturbing is distant players/npc's appear with no texture (all black).
Well yeah. Black Desert.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

No, no, it's stably. You know, like the best way to punch is to stand punchly.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cool Alchemy Guide. Pretty good starting point especially if you are like me and know pretty much nothing about crafting yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/470rzd/ambers_newbie_guide_to_alchemy_and_crafting_the/

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Third World Reggin posted:

Welcome to china game territory

Call me crazy but this game is kinda reminding me of some sort of bastard child of Age of Wushu's incomprehensibly complicated game systems and Archeage's drama/implosion potential. I love it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

Cool Alchemy Guide. Pretty good starting point especially if you are like me and know pretty much nothing about crafting yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/470rzd/ambers_newbie_guide_to_alchemy_and_crafting_the/

Putting a bed in said residence - Resting in a bed grants you 3 Energy per 3 minutes instead of the usual 1 per 3. Infinitely important, I owe Star my life for telling me about this. Keep in mind that these tools have durability points and will eventually break.

wowzers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how did I not know about the bed thing, thats tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, gaining access to a bed asap is probably one of the better pieces of advice to tell new players going forward in general.