Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

has there actually been any confirmation that she was literally getting paid minimum wage because i'm like 90% sure she was exaggerating about that too

Minimum wage after taxes she said lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

FishionMailed posted:

goons are so loving weird; if this wasn't a millennial at a start up in SF but everything else was the same you'd be screaming for the blood of the CEO or some idiot poo poo and talking about how CEOs are hella overpaid given what they actually do

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest she is paid a living wage at a company that has millions of dollars. If we are talking about a mom n pop restaurant that legit can't afford to pay more that's another thing.

dude she's not gonna give you her cupcakes don't even bother

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Volume posted:

Minimum wage after taxes she said lmao

see if she wrote like 1/4th of what she did and didn't exaggerate like this I'd have more sympathy I guess but as it is all I can do is muster a 'yeah that company blows.'

I mean you guys are right in that she could have found a different job or taken a side gig doing something; I'm just saying gently caress that company, too.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

FishionMailed posted:

yeah she feels entitled to be able to afford to live in the area that she works what a loving piece of poo poo lol - did you even read the thing she can't afford basic groceries where are you getting this idiot 'oh she wants more frivolous spending money' crap from?

the amount of goon bandwagon 'lol yea gently caress millenials haha' in this thread is amazing. this company has millions and it pays its college degree employees less than I'd expect to get as a literal dishwasher.

noble goon duped by young girl's made-up damsel in distress story :fedora:

http://throwaway779999.imgur.com/all/

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

dude she's not gonna give you her cupcakes don't even bother

But she might send him pics of her feet

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Internaut! posted:

noble goon duped by young girl's made-up damsel in distress story :fedora:

http://throwaway779999.imgur.com/all/

more like I just skimmed what she wrote and did 0 other research because I don't really give a poo poo that much lol

just took what she said at face value if she is full of it then fine :shrug:

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
fwiw none of those dishes look particularly expensive to make, they are just arranged nicely.

roast chuck and suddenly people are acting like she is eating filet mignon. have you people bought chuck steak lately? it's cheap as gently caress.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

FishionMailed posted:

more like I just skimmed what she wrote and did 0 other research because I don't really give a poo poo that much lol

just took what she said at face value if she is full of it then fine :shrug:

a liar? on the internet? begging for money? say it ain't so

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
99% of poor households have CUPCAKES

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

99% of poor households have CUPCAKES

how dare she buy party liquor

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Volume posted:

I'll post my feet as soon as I get home

:toxx:

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
tho maybe she meant she can't buy the expensive artisan handmade french bread fresh from the start up bakery around the corner in which case lol

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

FishionMailed posted:

goons are so loving weird; if this wasn't a millennial at a start up in SF but everything else was the same you'd be screaming for the blood of the CEO or some idiot poo poo and talking about how CEOs are hella overpaid given what they actually do

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest she is paid a living wage at a company that has millions of dollars. If we are talking about a mom n pop restaurant that legit can't afford to pay more that's another thing.

"If this situation were entirely different you people would look at it differently! loving Goons!"

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

crabcakes66 posted:

"If this situation were entirely different you people would look at it differently! loving Goons!"

uh no numb nut the situation would be exactly the same but in a different city and someone who isn't a millennial. The situation is 'well educated employees paid well below a living wage even though the company can clearly afford it and the CEO's pay is 7 figures.'

"Let me just completely misstate what you posted then make fun of it!"
:goonsay:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
did you really just empty quote yourself from 2 posts ago wow man

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

FishionMailed posted:

yeah she feels entitled to be able to afford to live in the area that she works what a loving piece of poo poo lol - did you even read the thing she can't afford basic groceries where are you getting this idiot 'oh she wants more frivolous spending money' crap from?

the amount of goon bandwagon 'lol yea gently caress millenials haha' in this thread is amazing. this company has millions and it pays its college degree employees less than I'd expect to get as a literal dishwasher.

Try reading the thread. She could very easily live right where she works if she was willing to live with roommates, which is very, very common in SF. Even for highly paid people working in tech. She also sure as hell isn't living on rice and starving to death as many people have already pointed out via her food pics and such. So gently caress her and her whining.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FishionMailed posted:

Eh, most of us didn't choose to live in the most expensive cities in the USA. When you choose to move to cool, exciting, expensive cities like SF or Manhattan, the price you pay is lovely over-priced living quarters. Having a bunch of room mates or living in the worst room is part of the deal.

She wasn't born there and trapped by poverty, she actively chose to go there. She knew her pay, She knew the rent. She should have realized the math didn't check out. Instead she decided to make up the difference on her credit card, and hope she'd be fast-tracked to promotion. She actively chose poverty. She doesn't get the same sympathy as someone born into it.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Angela Christine posted:

Eh, most of us didn't choose to live in the most expensive cities in the USA. When you choose to move to cool, exciting, expensive cities like SF or Manhattan, the price you pay is lovely over-priced living quarters. Having a bunch of room mates or living in the worst room is part of the deal.

She wasn't born there and trapped by poverty, she actively chose to go there. She knew her pay, She knew the rent. She should have realized the math didn't check out. Instead she decided to make up the difference on her credit card, and hope she'd be fast-tracked to promotion. She actively chose poverty. She doesn't get the same sympathy as someone born into it.

Cool I'm just not as quick to condemn someone for making a dumb decision based on emotions rather than cold hard logic at the age of 20 something.

Pawn 17 posted:

Try reading the thread. She could very easily live right where she works if she was willing to live with roommates, which is very, very common in SF. Even for highly paid people working in tech. She also sure as hell isn't living on rice and starving to death as many people have already pointed out via her food pics and such. So gently caress her and her whining.

Cool? I'm sure she's still living like a poor person and either way it doesn't invalidate the overall point of gently caress that company for paying its employees so little? If she was TOTALLY full of it surely the CEO or the company would have released a PR statement along the lines of 'idk what she's talking about we paid her $50-60k a year' along with firing her.

I didn't say she didn't gently caress up, just kinda lol at the amount of vitriol in here. Like,

quote:

She wasn't born there and trapped by poverty, she actively chose to go there. She knew her pay, She knew the rent. She should have realized the math didn't check out. Instead she decided to make up the difference on her credit card, and hope she'd be fast-tracked to promotion. She actively chose poverty.

That doesn't apply to the homeless library goon that you were all fawning over and giving money to?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FishionMailed posted:

you know I think even making a job offer to people for an amount that is not even close to a livable wage in the area where the job is makes you kinda a fuckboy but offering to out of state people who might not know the real situation in the bay area is even scummier

'she shouldn't have moved' sure alright but she also is a recent college grad who probably got a ton of recruiting smoke blown up her rear end by a questionably ethical company looking to save a few bucks on labor, too.

jobs should pay enough that the person working them can live in or reasonably close to the area the job is located. period. that includes the kitchen workers that have to commute 45 mins to get to their job in a rich area of town, that includes random employees at a start up company with millions in VC funding.

I get when restaurants have to cut labor costs down to the bone; their margins are poo poo to begin with. Imo a tech company with millions paying its employees minimum wage knowing full well it isn't enough to live on is totally unethical regardless of whatever mistakes the employee made to get there. x10 if the CEO is pulling down fat sums of money in a company that isn't even solvent yet (assuming it is running off of VC funding like 90% of other start ups).

I mean jesus I pay people $12-14/hr in North San Diego County and all they have to do is enter invoices and do some light customer service and I promise my company is nowhere near as cash rich as this start up.

They probably assumed she would do what everyone else in the area does and live with roommates.

FishionMailed posted:

fwiw none of those dishes look particularly expensive to make, they are just arranged nicely.

roast chuck and suddenly people are acting like she is eating filet mignon. have you people bought chuck steak lately? it's cheap as gently caress.

No one's mad that she can afford to cook steaks and gourmet cupcakes. It contradicts her letter to the CEO where she wrote multiple paragraphs about how she can only afford to buy a bag of rice.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Homeless library goon says he hates his job so he quit and is now homeless, goons line up to give him money!

Millenial makes long post about being underpaid, internet detectives nitpick through every single meal she has posted on the internet ever in order to disparage her!

Parallax Scroll posted:

They probably assumed she would do what everyone else in the area does and live with roommates.

No one's mad that she can afford to cook steaks and gourmet cupcakes. It contradicts her letter to the CEO where she wrote multiple paragraphs about how she can only afford to buy a bag of rice.

steaks = chuck roast = $2/lb which is cheaper than ground beef

and lol at 'gourmet cupcakes' based on an internet photo. for all you know that's just the dollar store cupcake mix and some whipped cream and a nice photo filter and a poor lying about it so as to not feel like such poo poo constantly.

I mean sure she sounds like she exaggerated then which was probably not a good idea given the internet police but who fuckin cares that much jfc.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 22, 2016

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
I guess her parents don't care enough about her to make sure she knew how to be an adult?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
wow you are really deadset on people not making fun of this idiot girl on the internet

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
i'm just deadset on calling goons idiots i think between the doobie thing and the homeless goon thing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volume posted:

I'll post my feet as soon as I get home

Boooom. Try to beat that feat of feet.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
i mean there's plenty of legit criticisms and things to make fun of, calling a chuck roast an 'expensive steak' is just retarded

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I still think this girl should move to Detroit and live with Centripedal Horse. She can make him gourmet cupcakes while he gets drunk off her bourbon delivered to work.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FishionMailed posted:

i mean there's plenty of legit criticisms and things to make fun of, calling a chuck roast an 'expensive steak' is just retarded

good job then retard cause i think you're the first person in the thread to call it that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

The reality is that we are a generation of people that have to face the fact that capitalism has screwed us over. You cannot get by in a city without roommates, it just cannot be done. Whining about the wages is stupid, everyone knows the wages are bad, maybe this will change some day, but for now it is what it is. All she did was drat herself to being fired and talking about something everyone is already well aware of, but everyone at the same time is divided on whether or not it is actually a problem.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I still think this girl should move to Detroit and live with Centripedal Horse. She can make him gourmet cupcakes while he gets drunk off her bourbon delivered to work.

Crummy bourbon too. Even at my poorest I still buy Weller or EH Taylor because I'm not a filthy bourbon hobo. I could get her a job with my firm and she could work from home and stay in SF for all they care. Not sure how much they start at, but I don't think working is really her goal here.

naem
May 29, 2011

Two roommates can share a 1 bedroom apt pretty comfortably especially 20 year olds, it's better than a college dorm

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why do people keep talking about living with roommates like it's some extreme concession only necessary for those living in metro areas.

Every person in my age group (mid to late 20's) that I know has roommates unless they landed a job that brings in cash way above the average level. This is all over San Diego county (not anywhere near the metro area). Nobody can afford to live on their own. It's either parents or roommates for all of us.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FishionMailed posted:

Yea loving right. CEOs have some of the hardest jobs in the world. They have to make huge decisions everyday that affect hundreds of lives at their companies. gently caress you piece of poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FishionMailed posted:

uh no numb nut the situation would be exactly the same but in a different city and someone who isn't a millennial. The situation is 'well educated employees paid well below a living wage even though the company can clearly afford it and the CEO's pay is 7 figures.'

did you know that when labor used to strike for higher wages in the olden days, they went without getting any wages for sometimes months at a time? oh and sometimes a bunch of goons (as in a private armed thugs, not nerds on a forum) came and beat people up. "Pretty please" just doesn't cut it.

I just love it when people go on and on about crab buckets, oblivious to the fact that all the likes, favorites, retwits, and moralposting in the world doesn't accomplish jack poo poo.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Parallax Scroll posted:

good job then retard cause i think you're the first person in the thread to call it that

i'm just going off the imgur album someone else linked at me in effort to tell me she is a lying sack of poo poo who eats expensive foods where her clearly labeled chuck roast is being made fun of for being expensive steak

so idk don't link retard poo poo if you don't want to be called a retard i guess

I said come in! posted:

The reality is that we are a generation of people that have to face the fact that capitalism has screwed us over. You cannot get by in a city without roommates, it just cannot be done. Whining about the wages is stupid, everyone knows the wages are bad, maybe this will change some day, but for now it is what it is.

gently caress that, if we never whined about our problems nothing would ever get fixed. What you think the corporate overlords are just going to raise wages one day to be nice? People 'whine' about their issues all the time, it's how things change.

I'll grant you she went about it in a dumb way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do people keep talking about living with roommates like it's some extreme concession only necessary for those living in metro areas.

Every person in my age group (late 20's) that I know has roommates unless they landed a job that brings in cash way above the average level. This is all over San Diego county (not anywhere near the metro area). Nobody can afford to live on their own. It's either parents or roommates for all of us.

All of California is like that, but not all of the United States is like this. Most of Arizona, you do not need a roommate unless you have a minimum wage job. Anything above that, even a few dollars an hour, you can get by living on your own even in Phoenix. Just a handful of places in Arizona would require roommates.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Crummy bourbon too. Even at my poorest I still buy Weller or EH Taylor because I'm not a filthy bourbon hobo. I could get her a job with my firm and she could work from home and stay in SF for all they care. Not sure how much they start at, but I don't think working is really her goal here.

i think you're right

dumb girl who got fired posted:

Talia is a newly available aspiring comedy writer living in San Francisco who recently left Los Angeles to pursue a career in hangin’ out, maxin’, relaxin’ all cool.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Also unless you're EAST, basically anywhere in San Diego County is a 'metro area' by most of the rest of the world's standards.

Klyith posted:

did you know that when labor used to strike for higher wages in the olden days, they went without getting any wages for sometimes months at a time? oh and sometimes a bunch of goons (as in a private armed thugs, not nerds on a forum) came and beat people up. "Pretty please" just doesn't cut it.

I just love it when people go on and on about crab buckets, oblivious to the fact that all the likes, favorites, retwits, and moralposting in the world doesn't accomplish jack poo poo.

Okay? What's your point?

Anything short of radical organization is pointless so that's your excuse for never doing poo poo right?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

FishionMailed posted:

Cool? I'm sure she's still living like a poor person and either way it doesn't invalidate the overall point of gently caress that company for paying its employees so little? If she was TOTALLY full of it surely the CEO or the company would have released a PR statement along the lines of 'idk what she's talking about we paid her $50-60k a year' along with firing her.

What do you want them to pay her? I know a lot of people have said minimum wage, because that's kinna what she implied in her letter, however a few pages back a goon who is familiar with her exact position said it pays 35k/yr + benefits. Yeah that's still poo poo for the bay area, but I seriously doubt her job even requires a college degree or any work experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

gently caress that, if we never whined about our problems nothing would ever get fixed. What you think the corporate overlords are just going to raise wages one day to be nice? People 'whine' about their issues all the time, it's how things change.

I'll grant you she went about it in a dumb way.

No one is going to do anything about it because we have social safety nets that make us comfortable enough to not force any real change. Plus a culture of being afraid to really speak up because entitlements and being treated like a human being are somehow considered awful. If Bernie Sanders becomes president, and we get a democrat controlled congress, then maybe real progress will be made. We will know at the end of this year. For now everyone is forced to sit tight, these things take awhile.

• Locked thread